Edited by TheDilettante - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 12 years ago
Anusha Rizvi is disappointed that the Producer (Aamir Khan) didn't send the movie for nominations.

In the past, Aamir always maintained that he respects National Awards and always sent his films for consideration. Taare Zameen Par received the best family welfare National award.  It didn't get best feature film or fetch him any award. Is that the reason for avoiding NA this year? Or is it because of his rift with Rizvi?

Either way it's unjust to the actors and director. What do you guys think?
TintinleMechant thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

edited for repetition--- woops.

I'm hearing that its Aamir Khan whose behind the whole 'not entering the movie thing', but i do feel like something must have happened, a conflict of interests perhaps between the national awards comittee and aamir/the peepli production house.
Edited by masakaliii - 12 years ago
thats a funny concept.. didn't know you had to enter your films in the contest to be considered..  you'd figure they'll pick from whtever released in the year..

anyhow, i tried watching the movie, i fell asleep.. kill me.. 😆😆

This content was originally posted by: Meena1

thats a funny concept.. didn't know you had to enter your films in the contest to be considered..  you'd figure they'll pick from whtever released in the year..

Gazillion films ar released every year. Imagine the condition of jury if they had to sit through all that. Films are sent for nominations, it's viewed then short-listed, then final pick.

As mentioned, Manisha Koirala lost her NA because the producer forgot to enter Khamoshi.
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
NA jury went on to search "NATHA" par woh kisi ke haath nahin aaya... dats the only reason...

if anybody found NATHA... report it to NA Jury plz... ðŸ˜†
This content was originally posted by: masakaliii

edited for repetition--- woops.

I'm hearing that its Aamir Khan whose behind the whole 'not entering the movie thing', but i do feel like something must have happened, a conflict of interests perhaps between the national awards comittee and aamir/the peepli production house.

Maybe Aamir did what Rizvi wanted. So she really can't complain now.
-------------------------------------------------------

The Anusha-Aamir face-off is from over. As Aamir Khan prepares to take on Los Angeles for Peepli (Live) to get an Oscar nomination, the film's director, Anusha Rizvi, has made it very clear (through co-producers UTV) that she doesn't want any lobbying at the Oscar level for her film.

UTV is in a fix since they cannot bypass Aamir's plans. At the same time Anusha Rizvi's go-ahead regarding any promotion of Peepli (Live) cannot be circumvented either.

Says a source, "Aamir has been to the Oscars with two of his films, Lagaan and Taare Zameen Par. He knows how vital the whole process of lobbying prior to an Oscar nomination is.

He obviously wants to give Peepli (Live) his best shot. Anusha Rizvi, on the other hand, is strictly against any kind of lobbying at the Oscars and has conveyed her opinion categorically to UTV."

When contacted, Anusha said, "Right now, the Oscars are far from my mind. My husband and I have just shifted to our new house in Delhi. We are busy enjoying the smell and feel of relocating. Oscars? I will only say this. Peepli (Live) has already made its point.

Audiences all over the world have been told what it is about and why they should watch it. Saying anything more on any international platform, whether it is the Oscars or the Berlin Film Festival would not just be redundant but embarrassing."

UTV chose to stay mum through this impasse, sandwiched between the two. CEO Siddharth Roy Kapur, said "We'd choose not to comment on this." Wake up, Sid!

Peepli (Live) has already made its point. Audiences all over the world have been told what it is about and why they should watch it - Anusha Rizvi Director

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
she showed unwillingness to lobby during oscars...he forgot to enter it for national awards... too much of a coincidence😊

Here's why Oscar eludes us

For one, films like Peepli Live do not measure up to global standards; besides, another part of the problem rests with older members of the Academy who are schooled in tradition of European cinema

A few weeks ago, the online magazine Guernica asked me to put together a list of my top ten international films of 2010. There were obvious choices. The best of Hollywood The Social Network and Inception together with some international films that impressed me Biutiful and the epic Carlos.

I also took the liberty of picking Udaan, my favourite Indian film of 2010. In a special mention list of ten more films (since I was not satisfied with only the top ten), I added a few more Indian films Peepli Live, Ishqiya and Band Baaja Baaraat, my favourite Bollywood film of 2010.

This past week, I was reminded of my list when Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences announced its short list of nine foreign language films that will compete in the second round for the Oscar race. There was only one film in common between my list and the one released by the Academy Biutiful. Most of the other films in the Oscar short list have yet to open in the U S.

But what about the Indian entry Peepli Live directed by Anusha Rizvi and produced by Aamir Khan? There was really no conversation about that film, other than a word from Oscar watcher Steve Pond (who is not a member of the Academy) on his blog The Wrap, where he said that while he had reviewed many foreign language films submitted by their respective countries, he did not see Peepli Live.

Maybe India should submit Dhobi Ghat (above) for the 2011 Foreign Language Oscar race as many critics have referred to the film as one with European sensibilities

I have heard some people say that India should have submitted Udaan as its official entry. And maybe that may have improved India's chances. This past decade, many of India's official entries for the Oscar race have been connected with Khan, as if his one-time success with Lagaan is enough to guarantee that any Indian film touched by him would be selected for the final five list.

This is not just an Oscar race issue. There were only two Indian entries for the Golden Globes and both Peepli Live and (here is a shocker) Kites failed to impress the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA).

HFPA's rules for the foreign language Globe are different in that, individual producers can submit their own films. I wonder why the producers of Udaan, Love Sex Aur Dhoka or even Ishqiya did not send their films for the Golden Globes. Perhaps that may have improved the chance for an Indian film to at least get nominated for a Golden Globe, although no one can say that with certainty.

It is unfortunate that India is the largest film-producing country, and yet our films do not qualify at least from the Academy's perspective as world-class cinema. In the past few years, many international festivals at Berlin, Venice, Cannes, Toronto and elsewhere have programmed new indie films from India a sign that programmers and audience are noticing and appreciating Indian films.

But the Oscar continues to elude us. If there were any element of truth in Farah Khan's Tees Maar Khan, many Indians (like the moronic actor played by Akshaye Khanna) would like India to win an Oscar.

Part of the problem rests with the older members of the Academy many retired, and hence with free time to review all of the foreign language films. These members were schooled in the tradition of European cinema and works of filmmakers such as Ingmar Bergman and Vittorio De Sica. But this year's list also includes films from South Africa and Algeria.

The thing is that a film like Peepli Live may appear very important to Indian critics and even many filmgoers, given the serious issue of farmers' suicide, told with clever biting humour, but it still does not measure up to the intense drama of Biutiful or the deeply disturbing Canadian entry Incendies.

This Friday, many critics referred to Dhobi Ghat as a film with European sensibilities. It is too early in the year, but perhaps India should summit Dhobi Ghat for the 2011 foreign language Oscar race, although once again, it is a film from the house that Aamir Khan built.

[A good piece by Aseem Chhabra who is a freelancer based in NY. Also organized NYIFF 2011]
Edited by TheDilettante - 12 years ago
kash4life thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I don't think it deserves a National Award personally, I think its really overated (Like many of Aamir Khan Production pieces, I think).

The film had an interesting concept but it was presented poorly IMO. You have to make it watchable and entertaining, this film had me asleep within 10 minutes 🥱