Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

The Real Debate! (Page 11)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

If someone produces evidence that he committed such crimes which according to me deserves capital punishment. But I'm yet to see anyone producing that evidence. Till now the supporters have merely dumped the crime of others on him and declared him guilty.

Souro, is your point that the assassination and plot to assassinate does not fulfill the grounds for capital punishment? Could you please elaborate your point?

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

If someone produces evidence that he committed such crimes which according to me deserves capital punishment. But I'm yet to see anyone producing that evidence. Till now the supporters have merely dumped the crime of others on him and declared him guilty.

Souro, is your point that the assassination and plot to assassinate does not fulfill the grounds for capital punishment? Could you please elaborate your point?

I meant to say that if a person who has committed crimes deserving of capital punishment is assassinated, only then I'll say that the assassin did the right thing (by killing that person). Otherwise the assassin is wrong in what he did.
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged

I meant to say that if a person who has committed crimes deserving of capital punishment is assassinated, only then I'll say that the assassin did the right thing (by killing that person). Otherwise the assassin is wrong in what he did.

I disagree with that. I think assassination is an offense, even if the victim is a criminal. No citizen should have the ability to take the law in their own hands.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DemonStarblue-ice.

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by blue-ice

I won't support what Nathuram Godse did, atleast for now. According to me supporting someone's assasination means believing that the person was guilty of such serious crimes that he deserved capital punishment.

I'm not a believer of Mahatma Gandhi's ideology atleast not to the extreme that he took it to. I don't really support some of the things that he did, cos I believe that those decisions delayed the Indian independence. But I can't think of anything that was so heinous and deliberate on his part that he deserved capital punishment.

And what could change your view about Godse?

Don't u think that even if Gandhiji was guilty of certain crimes deserving a capital punishment ...he should have been tried in a court of law instead of being assassinated...due you think that Godse was qualified enough to pass a judgement on someone...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

zorrro

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged

I disagree with that. I think assassination is an offense, even if the victim is a criminal. No citizen should have the ability to take the law in their own hands.

Ideally yes but doesn't necessarily work all the time, especially if the person is in a position of considerably high power.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MagixX

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

Don't u think that even if Gandhiji was guilty of certain crimes deserving a capital punishment ...he should have been tried in a court of law instead of being assassinated...due you think that Godse was qualified enough to pass a judgement on someone...

I don't know whether Godse was qualified enough or not. Depends on how you describe such qualification.

Edited by souro - 25 May 2011 at 1:23pm
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:44pm | IP Logged

Ideally yes but doesn't necessarily work all the time, especially if the person is in a position of considerably high power.

Actually making assassination a crime no matter what is the most pragmatic solution. Citizen justice is more idealistic in concept.

Allowing for pardon based on victim creates too much chaos and confusion for proper execution of the law

-          Too many citizen vigilantes will feel they can murder people based on perceived crimes

-          The average citizen is not well versed to distinguish capital offense

-          Due process is prolonged and made ineffectual as verdict and direction in trials get tied to verdict and direction in others making for a procedural mess

persistence Goldie
persistence
persistence

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged
Ok, haven't read thru the entire thread, but got to say the following is debatable:

Its history and nothing is going to change the fact.

people write history; different versions can and do exist. No such thing as a "fact"...just a reality/perception. Not that this is an ontological debate. :)

Go to top