Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: kuls11

You heard it angie.I am sikh shifted from Lahore my grand father  family faced it...My grandpa entire family was burned alive  there, only he left while he was on work in India...I know it was worst phase..religion division  is always dangerous.

This is an example of violence at its worst. Any human being ought to stand against encouraging such kind of violence. Gandhi evangelized the cause of  non violence throughout his life.

But my question on him is not restricted to his decision of partition . His decision not to save Bhagat Singh rajguru from execution as their  ideas were in accord to his principle. The decision came hours after his last meeting with Irwin and his pact with him.
Do you believe that Gandhi was instrumental in sending Bhagat Singh to the gallows? As per the British laws Bhagat Singh was found guilty of murdering Saunders and therefore sentenced. Gandhi did not approve of violence in any form and yet he is said to have admired Singh for his patriotism and had  reportedly written to the Viceroy expressing his views against capital punishment and to review Singh's case. I don't think Gandhi had the power to influence Irwin into pardoning an Indian  revolutionist who had murdered a British officer! As Indians we are bound to look favourably  at  Singh's patriotism but did Irwin have such reason? Anyway , he most certainly did not take orders from Gandhi !

So, why is Gandhi being blamed for not "saving" Bhagat Singh ? πŸ˜•

Question is if non non-violence is always right like he promoted with his principles. Why we need army then, Why we celebrate Osama assassination, .Why not give him another chance so that he can kill 10000s more. IF killing Osama is not wrong in this era how come killing Dywre was wrong in that era. I am not pro nor against  non -violence but I am against it when non violence become directly proportional to self destruction.

Whether or not non violence is right the relevant question would be how far can we practice non violence in our life. Because not everyone is  Mahatma Gandhi (MG) it may not be possible for us to emulate him. He was one of a kind.

Osama killed people.

Dwyer killed people.

Bhagat Singh also killed.

Gandhi did not.

Yet Godse did !!

I know whatever I will believe will depend upon some documents article books I read of that era .with my interpretation of those, as I was not present in that era to see what happened.

Yes, each one of us interprets according to ones beliefs or bias. To get at the truth one would have to be very objective and unbiased. When we carry an emotional baggage it is very difficult to do that.

Politically fact is anything against Gandhi is always questioned of its authenticity ,eg we have seen recently with a controversial news related to him

Each one is free to question anything. It depends how deep one is ready to research in order to get to the truth. In our anguish it is so easy to  end up blaming the wrong person . Very often we also tend to ignore the person's other aspects and contributions. We forget how a half clad, frail looking person , born in British ruled India,  managed to gain freedom for his countrymen and that too through non violent means !

edited to change font colour.
Edited by angie.4u - 12 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: angie.4u

how would I know?---Yahi problem hey...Without knowing you can say anything...Gr8 ho ji aap bi...πŸ˜† Nahi hai toh add kar do ...πŸ˜†-- SureπŸ˜†  ,Apun walking encyclopedia thodi heyπŸ˜‰

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: blue-ice

Haha Summerji...that makes three of us...u , me and President Obama...GMTAπŸ˜†

Its a pity that while the whole world reveres Gandhiji, he is used as an example when it comes to great leaders...some of us INDIANS would question his decisions...just sayin...well I guess in a free India...we have a right to do so...guess who we owe this freedom toπŸ˜›πŸ˜‰

And it's a pity that you chose a place where people are supposed to express freely to write such a comment.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: souro

And it's a pity that you chose a place where people are supposed to express freely to write such a comment.

and its a pity that u would comment on my choice of place...well I just said its a pity that they are questioning Gandhiji ...I didn't say that they shouldn't question at all...my opinion...I am free to express it...isn't DM about expressing ur opinion...
souro thumbnail

and its a pity that u would comment on my choice of place...well I just said its a pity that they are questioning Gandhiji ...I didn't say that they shouldn't question at all...my opinion...I am free to express it...isn't DM about expressing ur opinion...

DM is about expressing one's opinion, not about questioning other's rights to express their opinion, and that is exactly what you were doing. Don't try to blame me for something that you've done.
blue-ice. thumbnail
^^...whatever Soumya...I never questioned anyones right...I been on DM long enough to know that...but if u think it is that way...thats ur opinion...can't do anything about it...
souro thumbnail
I won't support what Nathuram Godse did, atleast for now. According to me supporting someone's assasination means believing that the person was guilty of such serious crimes that he deserved capital punishment.

I'm not a believer of Mahatma Gandhi's ideology atleast not to the extreme that he took it to. I don't really support some of the things that he did, cos I believe that those decisions delayed the Indian independence. But I can't think of anything that was so heinous and deliberate on his part that he deserved capital punishment.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
To me Gandhi is a human. I respect and admire some of his principles. I am grateful to what he contributed to the nation. However, he is not a God and I refuse to revere him.

Like many other world leaders he too had several flaws. I don't understand why people get upset when people critically evaluate Gandhi. He is human, why should he be assumed infallible and above scrutiny.

Of course my biggest criticisms of Gandhi are that he was to engrossed in his views and the superiority of his views that I think he unfairly discredited the counter movement led by the likes of Bhagat Singh etc. Secondly, I believe that his pacifist and laissez faire attitude towards our internal conflicts led to more schisms than they should have. Had it not been for the egos of Gandhi, Jinnah and Nehru, the subcontinent could have been a much different country than it is today.

However, my personal gripe in historical context is that Gandhi was an affluent aristocrat who never would have given a second glance to the miseries of those below him - until and unless he himself was a victim of abuse. Even in his memoirs Gandhi embellishes his once apathy and the need for a wake up call. No one can be attuned to the experiences of others and we all need wake up calls, at least Gandhi could have done more in acknowledging this. Its almost as if he did not want people to deem him as human and fallible.

As for Godse Nathuram Godse was dead wrong, his cause was misguided and he committed a heinous crime which he will forever be condemned for it.

Even though I'm a pacifist I tend to prefer the warriors for my ideal leaders Alexander of Macedon, King Leonidas, Ulysses S Grant, George Marshall etc. Although my favorite of all leaders is Abraham Lincoln who would rather go to war over the differences, rather than compromise for years of segregation and embitterment.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

I won't support what Nathuram Godse did, atleast for now. According to me supporting someone's assasination means believing that the person was guilty of such serious crimes that he deserved capital punishment.

I'm not a believer of Mahatma Gandhi's ideology atleast not to the extreme that he took it to. I don't really support some of the things that he did, cos I believe that those decisions delayed the Indian independence. But I can't think of anything that was so heinous and deliberate on his part that he deserved capital punishment.

And what could change your view about Godse?
souro thumbnail

And what could change your view about Godse?

If someone produces evidence that he committed such crimes which according to me deserves capital punishment. But I'm yet to see anyone producing that evidence. Till now the supporters have merely dumped the crime of others on him and declared him guilty.