Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: Gobsmacked

Its such a shame. In hollywood you turn people's head around in Cannes with strong performance (like that of Kirsten Dunst in Melancholia complimented with stunning appearances). Whereas in Bollywood that only way we expect to turn peoples heads in a serious film festival like Cannes is the outfits these 'stars' wear . No wonder we only have 'stars' in bollywood, not actors.

Couldn't agree more!

It would have been much better if someone like Vidya Balan or Konkona Sen Sharma had turned less stylishly and represented India! Atleast, they has some standing as an 'Actor' and are not just a manequin for designer clothes!
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: robfanatic

Hi she was on the cover of which international magazine(like she mentioned in this article)??

She got a cover on Women Wear Daily which is a leading paper on fashion. She was featured in Life magazine and Gazette mag (which I think is part of Cannes). That's all I am aware of.
On topic here, I think Sonam has a right to defend herself. She is not taking names, nor commenting on someone's menustral cycle.

Bollywood would be a lot boring without Sonam's quotes.
Edited by Gobsmacked - 12 years ago
ladygaga thumbnail
Who says that we don't have actors in bollywood... and we only have stars?? a lot of bolly audience has started supporting good scripts instead of movies with big star power.. yes movies with big stars work.. but indie movies also work.. women oriented movies like NOKJ also work... our actor who is ruling the industry right now is an ACTOR first and a star later.. by chosing aamir or srk and salman.. people have chosen an actor over a star...

And why do people say that our movies win nothing at cannes or at international festivals?? Maya typed up a nice summary of what all our movies have won at cannes...

Yes I personally think its pretty childish of Sonam to say.. and talk about crab mentality.. and expect people.. to somehow view this going of celebs to cannes for their personal commitments to be something SPECIal.. its not special... these people have gone there for their own fun.. and they aren't doing anything for the betterment of bolly or anything.. so they can't expect others to somehow be proud or something.. and as celebs.. people will critique them.. i am pretty surprised though.. coz sonam has received positive response from almost everyone and still she is saying this.
ladygaga at the end of the day its still a star dominated industry. How many would know of Abhimanyu Singh's strong performance in 'Gulaal'. Yes things are changing, but approx 95% of the movies and performances are still immature.

having said that I still enjoy typical Bolly movies, my complaint is that we dont see good movies /good performances being appluaded/awarded say how much a medicre performance from star is appreciated. Which is why we even celebrate a mediocre performance of SRK in MNIK or a TZP, and not a movie like Gulaal or 15, Park Avenue.

Udaan was at Cannes last year, did anyone even know about the movie until it received the PR it received at Cannes.
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
GobSmacked

The performance u judging as mediocre may sound excellent to other people... 
ladygaga thumbnail
^^ Pragya thats exactly how films gain attention.. small films get screened at these film festivals... and then they get picked up by distributers.. that is what these festivals are for.. and yea.. i mean the whole abhay deol cinema... the whole UTV branch.. vishal bhardwaj.. anurag kashyap.. small movies are doing pretty well these days if you ask me.. and they have started doing well at boxoffice too.. while big budget movies of bhansali.. and akki.. are totally flopping these days.. i think i have had this discussion with someone before.. things aren't that bad for small films.. and yes in every industry.. there is a hysteria over big budget movies.. big stars.. that is like the core of any cinema.. even in holly.. big budget flicks have their own place.. and udaan, peepli live.. and many other small budet movies did well and won many awards last year...
Originally posted by: Da_BagarhBilla

GobSmacked

The performance u judging as mediocre may sound excellent to other people... 

Hi BB, but i never claimed to put forward other people's opinions. These are my opinions.๐Ÿ˜Š
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: Gobsmacked

Hi BB, but i never claimed to put forward other people's opinions. These are my opinions.๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi Pragya... !

Ok...:)