IPL 4 flunks the TRP test

shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

IPL 4 flunks the TRP test

Tushar Behl, TNN | May 20, 2011, 12.00am IST
Tags:Shilpa Shetty|Shah Rukh|IPL
Malinga gestures after taking a wicket
It's now proven: IPL 4 is something of a damp squib on TV this time.

According to TAM Sports, an audience measurement company that tracks TV viewership, the average TRP of the fourth season of the IPL is only 3.94. Last year, the IPL had managed to garner many more eyeballs on TV and the TRPs had shot up to 5.29.

There could be several reasons for the drop in TV viewership. And the main perhaps, is an overdose of cricket, with IPL-4 starting just a week after the conclusion of the World Cup. As former Indian spinner and cricket expert Maninder Singh puts it, "The BCCI has to make sure that future programmes are not so cramped. Since there's so much cricket happening, it's obvious that some of the key players will take rest. And when the big guns don't show up on the cricket field, people automatically lose interest in the sport."

Agrees Saba Karim, and says, "IPL-4 started just after the CWC concluded, the franchisee owners didn't get enough time to use their star players for promotions. Also, I feel that in this year's IPL, we haven't had too many close, nail-biting encounters."

The recently concluded World Cup gave the cricket buffs a real treat in terms of cricketing action, which perhaps they are not able to get in this IPL. "I followed all the previous editions of the IPL rather closely. But this year, it's not the same. If I'm surfing channels and happen to chance upon an interesting match, toh dekh leta hoon," says Ankit Chopra, a software engineer.

Even the presence of Bollywood celebs at the matches hasn't helped the situation much. "In the first couple of editions, the presence of stars like Shah Rukh and Shilpa Shetty was a novelty for viewers like me and frankly speaking, it is because of them that I started watching the IPL. But now their presence has become routine and they aren't an attraction," says Neha Srivastav, an executive.

Tripping TRPs
IPL - 4 3.94
IPL - 3 5.29
IPL - 2 4.49
IPL - 1 5.24

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading this I feel that the Ratings and all of the shows is truly genuine...So people want quality  content and sensible one ...They don't wan to uy whatever is shown which seems unrealistic ...

So next time the TRP's come of the shows we don' like or the shows which realy did'nt make a good reason to be on the charts we cannot blame IPL !!😆

On this note I want Bidaaii 2 back with Apurva in it !! Hopefully they take what audiences say  with the show making a bigger brand and get him back as Anmol with his Ragini Parul 😳

😆

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rekha02 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Looking at the IPL chart tread, looks like this was the worst season of IPL.  😊.
Last year, the shows were more affected as IPL season3 was the best season. Gecs should find a better scrapgoat to blame for dipping trps.😉.
shanaya28 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
@shanti..thanks for sharing the news..😊

after the craze of WC and india winning the cup seems cricket took a back seat with IPL..it has not garnered the awaited trp .

so the TRP chart for the shows are not the effect of IPL at the end..

viewers are keeping interest just for shows which have a good storyline and characters that impressed them..

a few weeks more and changes will happen in all channel esp SP..

lets wish B2 is back soon ..

aprul are back as the awesome couple of the show ...

they have captured viewers interest in the leap and endingthe show with a high TRP...
shanti05 thumbnail
Saveeta actually I am proud of Apurva..

when I entered Bidaaii forum after knowing Apurva will be a main protagonist I was truly worried about his take on the show..
And well it did give some gitters at many places..
Many people made fun of teh TRP's inspite of being in the top 11 or max 12..
It felt really bad to see a show where they got in an awesome actor and his chemistry was appealing and people criticizing !!

Another aspect was when he entered the show there was tough competition with shows on Zee and colors .. well all the channels wanted to give their best .. since Starplus was ruling so there needed a push back, but atleast I am glad it stayed well inside the bracket till it won the rat race...

So people who made a big hue and cry abt the show no running post leap will now realize that RS made the right choice to have casted Apurva and it is a bigger brand and the recall value is  very much there due to the efforts of people who contributed to the post leap in the show!!

So seaso two of Bidaaii has to be made very tactfully since it needs that esteemed level to be appreciated agan by the audience.
There are basic paramaters I am sure Rajan ji will look at and  the way the performances of a sequel needs to be appreciated by the audience!!
rekha02 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Shanti, I agree with you. Coming to this forum was a nightmare. It was always hard believing that Apurva was doing a starplus show, remember he always used to say he wants to be a part of the star parivaar. I know Apu's journey in a Starplus show was very short but it was equally sweet as the audience accepted him with open arms. Apurva said give me six months to make a place , he got only 3 months as one month was eaten up in Saakshi's revenge but he managed to achieve what he set out to do . Rest I neednot say, RS said it himself while it was among top5 , Bidaai is a bigger brand now.
RS needs to consider what he said when he is seriously thinking about how to go about doing Bidaai2 .I wonder why so time is taken up, it is already 6 1/2 months now. Cb2 took only 5 months to come back.
IPL shall end and soon and it did not actually dent the Gec space as assumed. Bidaai as a show is different from KMH or CB. kMH and CB 's first season saw the story ending. So new stories came up as nothing was left to explore from season1 but same is not the case with Bidaai. Bidaai even ended with the hope of a fresh season of continuation of stories of Tammy and Khushi when they grow up. I don't think it is time for them to grow up yet when their parents story is not yet finished.
I am beating the same drum again and agin but my heart is not satisfied with the saying that Anmol had a happy ending when his greatest desire of hearing his wife say she loves him remains unfulfilled.😔 
Edited by rekha03 - 12 years ago
shanti05 thumbnail
Yep I agree Rekha..
Now a days more than the shows these TRP charts interest me.. also what interests me  performances and storyline of shows and actors who  were expected to  be the performer of the new year or the new character the vogue and failed on the television box office ...

So we are the winners I must say post leap and truly  Rajan ji knew Apurva was a valuable contribution for teh show to stay among the top 5.. I also hope he does see that his contribution and the depth of angles they showed post leap so true to life and values unfolded have certain criteria and season two foundation on such bases would touch the audiences heart...

As u said  Apurva's contribution was only for 4 months but it was just the best and we fell short of having more of it !!
Nevertheless I am also just hoping Rajan ji  see these important parameters for season two  when its in the making and give some foundation with Anmol and Ragini's story with such brilliant performances by Apurva and Parul !!

So the bottomline is IPL  as'nt been a cause of the TRP's andthe ratings have their verdict !
shanti05 thumbnail
Originally posted by: rekha03

Shanti, I agree with you. Coming to this forum was a nightmare. It was always hard believing that Apurva was doing a starplus show, remember he always used to say he wants to be a part of the star parivaar. I know Apu's journey in a Starplus show was very short but it was equally sweet as the audience accepted him with open arms. Apurva said give me six months to make a place , he got only 3 months as one month was eaten up in Saakshi's revenge but he managed to achieve what he set out to do . Rest I neednot say, RS said it himself while it was among top5 , Bidaai is a bigger brand now.
RS needs to consider what he said when he is seriously thinking about how to go about doing Bidaai2 .I wonder why so time is taken up, it is already 6 1/2 months now. Cb2 took only 5 months to come back.
IPL shall end and soon and it did not actually dent the Gec space as assumed. Bidaai as a show is different from KMH or CB. kMH and CB 's first season saw the story ending. So new stories came up as nothing was left to explore from season1 but same is not the case with Bidaai. Bidaai even ended with the hope of a fresh season of continuation of stories of Tammy and Khushi when they grow up. I don't think it is time for them to grow up yet when their parents story is not yet finished.
I am beating the same drum again and agin but my heart is not satisfied with the saying that Anmol had a happy ending when his greatest desire of hearing his wife say she loves him remains unfulfilled
.😔 

We have'nt seem the happily ever after you may now kiss the bride  status !!😉

So defiantly I am still not convinced that Ragini confessed her feelings for Anmol. Yes she has moved on but word of mouth means more than anything...

More than Anmol himself  saying it the whole world knew he loves his wife so it was just to get her to know  that what he felt,
All along it was Anmol's journey and the Ishq Kay hai ajaab Imthehaam was his side of teh story

Therefore second chances in love is very important and the focus needs to be there..marriages  end , or tragedies happen , life moves on and we seek happiness from people who dedicated their lives for our happiness..

This phase Ragini needs to go through and realize she has been lucky to get love again in teh forum of Anmol.. So as u saud we are beating the drum again and yes its needed..
Women seek happiness but they are also suppose to show that feeling back when recieving it so season two needs Angini story and later Tammana and Khushi

When I seeother shows going at snail speed his runs in my mind that sory was still  left and tehy axed Bidaaii which was the no 1 show😕

bhondu2010 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
IPL was overdose of cricket after the world cup..
Yes it cannot be blamed for TV show ratings..

If the story is not appealing  people are sensible to  shut that channel and watch something else...

I hope Bidaaii is back wth Angini story which caught viwers attenstion and all the other stories surrounding them

Apurva needs to be back in season two otherwise personally I donlt think its worth watching