Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Darklord_Rehan
Its only now that you are speaking about promotion. Previously you were directly attacking the system of Revenue generation and Ratings calculation method and suggesting that online users must be counted in TRPs.
Anyway, before criticizing a system, its necessary to know both the sides of the coins. The law makers might not be as modern in appearance as we are, but they do understand the economy and society more than us. Government's only interest is generation of revenue. Do you think they would overlook these things (that you have suggested) if they were feasible?
I am also talking about promotion and criticizing the channel for not able to take into account proper analytical methods to rate the success of its shows. Instead they feel that they are failure and just thinking of dumping the system because of the TRP system that works only for older audience and not the youth. How difficult it can be to understand?
Let me talk in points:
1) I am talking about promotion from channel's point of view. And criticizing the channel first that its taking into a system of ratings that doesn't work for the audience it is targeting. If it is targeting youth then it has to use the systems that give clearer trend of future and not just base itself on a few seleced tv sets.
2) I called the TRP rating system doesn't work if you are going into internet age. Within 5 years, the TRP system will belong to dianasaur age. Government can live with that kind of TRP system but not profit-oriented companies.
3) Government will not overlook but it takes lots of time for government to implement systems. Governments are big and they have to handle huge countries and look at all the problems and cater to the needs of everybody. Commercial companies can't afford to wait that long if they have to stay in market, especially, the way Internet is spreading. They need to plan for next 10 years and not just analyse based on how TRPs are right now. They need to see what TRP will mean after 5 years.
4) I find it quite odd that the channel puts their efforts on youth shows and then after a few months they don't explore on what will work with youth. Instead they start changing their show types to saas-bahu dramas because that is working currently.
5) The next-gen is becoming more and more Internet oriented. You mean to say after 5-years people of a software-giant country won't be on Internet in majority? I will be surprised.