Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Its only now that you are speaking about promotion. Previously you were directly attacking the system of Revenue generation and Ratings calculation method and suggesting that online users must be counted in TRPs.😆

Anyway, before criticizing a system, its necessary to know both the sides of the coins. The law makers might not be as modern in appearance as we are, but they do understand the economy and society more than us. Government's only interest is generation of revenue. Do you think they would overlook these things (that you have suggested) if they were feasible?
Petal_Pose thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Darklord_Rehan

Its only now that you are speaking about promotion. Previously you were directly attacking the system of Revenue generation and Ratings calculation method and suggesting that online users must be counted in TRPs.😆

Anyway, before criticizing a system, its necessary to know both the sides of the coins. The law makers might not be as modern in appearance as we are, but they do understand the economy and society more than us. Government's only interest is generation of revenue. Do you think they would overlook these things (that you have suggested) if they were feasible?

i don't how trp are generated there, but it seems unfair. my fav show moonlight was canceled bec of trp😭
Ritzie thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I am also talking about promotion and criticizing the channel for not able to take into account proper analytical methods to rate the success of its shows. Instead they feel that they are failure and just thinking of dumping the system because of the TRP system that works only for older audience and not the youth. How difficult it can be to understand?

Let me talk in points:
1) I am talking about promotion from channel's point of view. And criticizing the channel first that its taking into a system of ratings that doesn't work for the audience it is targeting. If it is targeting youth then it has to use the systems that give clearer trend of future and not just base itself on a few seleced tv sets. 

2) I called the TRP rating system doesn't work if you are going into internet age. Within 5 years, the TRP system will belong to dianasaur age. Government can live with that kind of TRP system but not profit-oriented companies. 

3) Government will not overlook but it takes lots of time for government to implement systems. Governments are big and they have to handle huge countries and look at all the problems and cater to the needs of everybody. Commercial companies can't afford to wait that long if they have to stay in market, especially, the way Internet is spreading. They need to plan for next 10 years and not just analyse based on how TRPs are right now. They need to see what TRP will mean after 5 years. 

4) I find it quite odd that the channel puts their efforts on youth shows and then after a few months they don't explore on what will work with youth. Instead they start changing their show types to saas-bahu dramas because that is working currently.

5) The next-gen is becoming more and more Internet oriented. You mean to say after 5-years people of a software-giant country won't be on Internet in majority? I will be surprised.  

Rehanism thumbnail
Originally posted by: Ritzie

I am also talking about promotion and criticizing the channel for not able to take into account proper analytical methods to rate the success of its shows. Instead they feel that they are failure and just thinking of dumping the system because of the TRP system that works only for older audience and not the youth. How difficult it can be to understand?

You are ignoring the fact that popularity is not enough to run a show. It needs revenue and revenue CANNOT be generated from Internet viewership. This is true for all channels and all countries. Star One is merely a subsidiary of the greater Star Network which works globally. And Star One is merely following the instruction of their bosses. Star Network has to pay taxes to the Govt. of India for running these channels. If they run in losses, how will they pay the taxes to the Government? Now tell me how difficult is this to understand?

Let me talk in points:
1) I am talking about promotion from channel's point of view. And criticizing the channel first that its taking into a system of ratings that doesn't work for the audience it is targeting. If it is targeting youth then it has to use the systems that give clearer trend of future and not just base itself on a few seleced tv sets.

I believe SO does all sort of promotion in almost all platforms, but at the end of the day, its the actual TV viewership by Indian Audience which adds to TRP and churns out revenue. I think I made it quite clear why only few sample houses are selected. Even US uses this system to rate their shows, except that their sample houses are more numerous than ours owing to the fact that more Americans can afford DTH and cable network and hence more channels are available to the average American.

2) I called the TRP rating system doesn't work if you are going into internet age. Within 5 years, the TRP system will belong to dianasaur age. Government can live with that kind of TRP system but not profit-oriented companies.

No country can tackle such a situation. Every nation officially depends upon TV viewership to rate the shows and collect revenues accordingly. Even movies are considered Hit or flop by the number of viewers in Cinema Theaters and not over internet or DVDs. And I think this system is very much practical and economical, even though at times it seems unfair. Because if Internet viewership is counted, then tax policies will go awry.

3) Government will not overlook but it takes lots of time for government to implement systems. Governments are big and they have to handle huge countries and look at all the problems and cater to the needs of everybody. Commercial companies can't afford to wait that long if they have to stay in market, especially, the way Internet is spreading. They need to plan for next 10 years and not just analyse based on how TRPs are right now. They need to see what TRP will mean after 5 years. 

In this case neither the Government nor the Channel can do anything. If the audience continue to watch TV shows on YouTube or download movies from Torrent, it will never count for any revenue in the official books. Only Internet Pirates will be benefited from this. So its the duty of the viewers to change their habits.

4) I find it quite odd that the channel puts their efforts on youth shows and then after a few months they don't explore on what will work with youth. Instead they start changing their show types to saas-bahu dramas because that is working currently.

Agreed.😛But this is not merely Channel's problem. Even audience are at fault. I was discussing this in another thread. Indian audience, even the youth, are still stuck in stereotype drama and romance. That is why shows like Geet, DMG, MJHT are so popular even after they run out of content and show all sort of crap. Because the people are only interested in watching good looking actors and so called 'passionate romance' instead of a meaningful story. Naturally the PH will serve accordingly.

5) The next-gen is becoming more and more Internet oriented. You mean to say after 5-years people of a software-giant country won't be on Internet in majority? I will be surprised.  

Ritzie thumbnail

Rehanism thumbnail
Look, I don't get paid to promote TRP system. But you are completely averse to reasons and facts. Last time you claimed that you don't need to know about Laws. Now you claim that you don't know anything about US system. Your previous comment suggested that you don't know much about Indian society. I am not blaming you for not knowing, but you are bend upon accusing those systems about which you know almost nothing. From outside a system might seem meaningless, but if we are truly to understand the meaning of it, we need to understand the circumstances under which these systems were framed and are implemented.

The Government has to take care of an entire nation. Its not interested in a fantasy show called PKYEK, nor can it alter its laws for a channel which is unavailable in 85% of India. Its difficult to tap internet viewership commercially due to its vastness and its unfixed and unpredictable viewership. Even the most advanced countries, where Internet is used to much greater extent by the common man, cannot deal with such situation. The only remedy to this might be large scale hacking.

When TV became popular, people thought that Radio would be outdated and useless, but see today there are as many radio stations as TV channels, because Radio channels have come up with something new to attract viewers. Similarly the TV shows must move from its cliche formulas and try something new if they want more viewership. I am not against innovation, but that innovation should be effectively generalized and not limited to a certain privileged class of viewers otherwise it can never acquire a national structure.

As for the last point, I disagree. Have you watched the YRF shows; they were far more realistic and coming of age, but nobody watched them. Instead people are interested in these falling-catching-eyelocking and dupatta flying romance of these nonsense shows like Geet, DMG etc. Those serials hardly have viewers but these crap shows have got the highest fan-following who can never get more of the story-less shit that they put out on the TV.
Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 12 years ago
Ritzie thumbnail
Look, everybody doesn't need to know the systems. Govt will go crazy explaining systems to everybody. But people are responsible to say what works for them or not. Whatever I say or whatever you understand, the core thing is that the system is not working for us and its not illegal to complain about it.

PKYEK may be small for govt but youth audience is not small for commercial channels. And they are not blind to not see that there are not enough shows to cater to audience needs. And they can't close only few existing shows without analyzing the actual reasons.