TOI: Pregnancy the new TRP puller

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Pregnancy, the new TRP-puller

ROSHNI K OLIVERA, TNN | May 22, 2011, 12.00am IST

Want a twist? Bring in a marriage track. So far this has been the mantra for television serials. However, suddenly, there seems a shift. 'Pregnancy' has become the flavour of the season, with quite a few serials focussing on the 'main maa bannewali hoon' track. 

Drama Galore 
'Pregnancy' helps makers infuse love and romance in the serial or at least bring in drama. LikeUttaran has been focussing, for the longest time now, on Tapasya's pregnancy and major twists have been brought in, like the child is Rathore's and the main character Veer is impotent! 

Pratigya too had a lot of hullabaloo around Kesar's pregnancy sometime ago. In Pavitra Rishta, lead protagonist Archana is expecting and there's bound to be a twist here too, in the days to come. InBaba Aiso Var Dhoondo, the protagonist Bharti will get pregnant in the coming weeks and there will be a complication because she is a dwarf. "Marriage and pregnancy are two evergreen twists which always work in daily soaps," admits the channel's programming head (fiction), Saurabh Tewari. 

Like in Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, Akshara's pregnancy and the subsequent miscarriage struck a chord with the audiences. Says producer-director Rajan Shahi, "For the past two years, the show has sensitively touched all aspects of a young couple's life. The idea of having a child explores the beautiful bond between a couple and their families." 

It's About Trps 
Pratha brought in a baby track too hoping to get some TRP (television rating point) boost. So also in Sasural Genda Phool, one of the bahus will soon be in the family way. Just some time ago, the protagonist Suhana was 'almost pregnant' but it turned out to be brain tumour! 

Serials reflect life, says Uttaran producer Rupali Guha. "TV shows are about emotions. Hence there's love, marriage after which it's about having a family. So, it's a logical progression. A pregnancy track is very relevant as was in the case of our serial," she says. 

Viewers Speak 
What do audiences have to say about this? "It's a co-incidence, I think, that lead actresses in quite a few serials have been pregnant. But it does add to the drama," says Shyamala Rai, a housewife. Risshma Sawant, however, thinks it's the herd mentality. "When one serial works, the others tend to follow the same story. That's why perhaps, we have the pregnancy storyline emerging in many shows." 
Whatever be the case, so long as it's helping to rake in the TRPs, it's fine.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mjtruelegend thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thankyou Tanu for sharing.

I don't know why they said pregnancy HAS become the flavour of the season, because as far as I am aware, its always been like this! What's new about this?

Pregnancy is the new TRP puller but Dr.Shah and Dr. Shetty always turn out to be the TRP Killers😆Pehle SUhana phir Akshara...SHE is NOT pregnant...but everything is OK!...She had a miscarriage..but everything is OK!🤣
Armu4eva thumbnail

Originally posted by: mjtruelegend

Thankyou Tanu for sharing.

I don't know why they said pregnancy HAS become the flavour of the season, because as far as I am aware, its always been like this! What's new about this?

Sheemu.. all of a sudden its raining pregnancy in every top show...😆 hence the special article.. 

eg.. Yeh Rishta.. Pratigya.. SGP... on SP

Geet  on Star One

Uttaran & Pratha on Colors

Pavitra Rishta even yahan main ghar ghar kheli...on Zee

Baba Aiso Var Dhundho on Imagine...
Edited by Armu4eva - 12 years ago

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

Sheemu.. all of a sudden its raining pregnancy in every top show...😆 hence the special article.. 

Geet  on Star One

OMG...So many new born babies in Indian TV!😆Anyways...its Indian TV!..so baby sirf ek mahine ke liye baby rahega..phir 5 saal ka leap..10 saal ka leap...15 saal ka leap...100 saal ka leap...and the audiences will be ready to weep😭😆
infinity00 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
 I love the saecasm in this article, all in all the creator of these serials think of us as Idiots who dont know why they are doing it.
I usually dont see comedy cricus type of programmes but today saw on star news, where in comedy circus, infront of Kekta Mai the comedians were pulling her legs and my God they were so true, do watch it
ShadowImbue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for sharing Tanu😊 yup there is lot more pregnancy around CV's are following the same trend still none of the female protagonist in SP have any baby so all might concieve at the same time🤣 to let the trend of competition go on.Kekta mai ke dor main case thoda different tha.
mjtruelegend thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

Geet  on Star One

Oh god Tanu, how do you manage to keep up with these? 😆Anyways I find it quite funny 😆
iViews thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
At first , I thought /disha's pregnancy 's fr TRP but chalo V now know how much public likes babys

GurpreetD thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: mjtruelegend

Oh god Tanu, how do you manage to keep up with these? 😆Anyways I find it quite funny 😆

Kyunki Yeh IFs Ki News Reporter Hai So Yeh Sab ka Track Rakhna Toh Banta Hai Na😉 ðŸ˜†

BTW I even dont Know which are others Shows other than SP Nd Zee' ones ðŸ˜• ðŸ˜†