Did Gopi's parents want her uneducated?

-Nafisa- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
This thought came to me when I was answering a question from Kav, about who taught Gopi to cook was it Urmila, I thought yes and Gopi's mum, because what we do know from Saathiya is that Gopi receives a pension from her father, that goes to Jitubhai, first episode signing for the pension remember (Gopi signing like an infant), anyway it got me thinking just how old was Gopi when her parents died and she was left an orphan at Urmila's house? why didn't she receive even primary school education? Could it be her own parents didn't want her educated? Thought she would be fine without any formal education, taught how to cook and clean house is sufficient for her as she was being trained to be a Gharwali.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shobi12500 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
well very tough question it depends how old she was when her parents left her orphan
simran15 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I think Gopi 's parents would have educated her,but Gopi is one unhappy soul,I hope her life changes for good.
angelic8219 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I thought that Gopi didn't have many memories of her parents I think she mentioned as much when the photo of her parents was broken and Koki re-framed it.
angelic8219 thumbnail
Another question is what happened to family on her fathers side? Did he have any family at all that could have taken Gopi instead?  Also was it not Jitubhai's responsibility to at least have Gopi educated she was his niece, I can understand why Urmilla didn't cause she not a blood relative but Jitubhai should have.
-Nafisa- thumbnail

Originally posted by: angelic8219

I thought that Gopi didn't have many memories of her parents I think she mentioned as much when the photo of her parents was broken and Koki re-framed it.

That could indicate she was very young when their died, that's why no memory of them, because in the serial it said she has been to standard 1 only. So we can blame the un-education totally at Urmila and Jitubhai's feet.
angelic8219 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nafisa_blossoms

That could indicate she was very young when their died, that's why no memory of them, because in the serial it said she has been to standard 1 only. So we can blame the un-education totally at Urmila and Jitubhai's feet.

We can also blame it at Koki's too Gopi has been Married to Ahem for a year and in that time did she not think to help her vahu to learn to read and write. I guess we could blame Gopi too for not learning but the fact is she would only learn if she had the support behind her, Urmilla didn't encourage it  and used her like a slave and Koki hasn't implemented it yet.
DreamSz thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Lol haha my question :)

I dnt think it was jitu bhais fault i think he did try to educate her but urmi wanted everything for rashi and because they were so called poor or whatever i think urmi thought gopis education would be a waste of time and money

Sometimes i think gopis mum was just like her and had limited opportunities for education like a typical old fashion bahu

Edited by DreamSz - 12 years ago
DreamSz thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Gopis a really difficult character even though shes very simpleEdited by DreamSz - 12 years ago
-Nafisa- thumbnail

Originally posted by: angelic8219

We can also blame it at Koki's too Gopi has been Married to Ahem for a year and in that time did she not think to help her vahu to learn to read and write. I guess we could blame Gopi too for not learning but the fact is she would only learn if she had the support behind her, Urmilla didn't encourage it  and used her like a slave and Koki hasn't implemented it yet.

We are hoping this hanky and socks kalakari will result in Gopi being taught to read and write at least but I think until now Kokila thought Gopi doesn't need to know as she is an old fashioned bahu. Also Kokila wants to be superior and doesn't want to risk Gopi getting out of her control, she teaches her too much.