KaSh-Maneet-Fan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
no worries sis
we will wait
love ya

Chapter 17 - Nothing But Despair

Maan felt his hands tighten, his nails digging into his palms. His phone was at his feet, the man Munshi had employed still speaking on the other end but he was paying no attention to anything he was saying.

Geet was getting married.

There was no way on God's earth he would ever allow that to happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geet sat on her bed, hugging her knees to her chest. Her tears had dried on her face. She lost all hope of ever escaping from this entrapment that she had been brought into.

She missed her parents. She missed her mother's loving hugs & her father affectionately pulling her cheeks.

She missed Rajji's presence in the bedroom, she missed their late night talks & Rajji's neverending reassurance that everything would be ok.

But above all, she missed Maan. She missed his dark brooding eyes which seemed to read into her soul, she missed his husky voice telling her everything would be ok. She missed the feeling of warmth & safety she would get everytime she was around.

She looked towards her window, expecting to see him any minute. But her wishes were futile, for she was the one who had pushed him away. It was for his own good, Geet felt that Maan was better off without being burdened with her ongoing issues.

Geet closed her eyes as she recalled Darjee's words.

Future daughter in law. Future daughter in law to a family she had no intention of ever belonging to.

She just wanted the feeling of suffocation she had lived through her entire life to end.

He fell to the floor, exhausted with his vigorous workout. It was the break of dawn as the summer sunshine rose once again in Hoshiarpur.

He closed his eyes in anguish as the words played over in his mind again & again like a broken record.

Miss Handa's mehindi ceremony.

He kicked the table which sat in front of him backwards, feeling frustrated at everything in sight. The land papers which Munshi had delivered to him at night fell to the floor.

He stood up & picked them off the floor, glancing at the forged signatures.

What he had promised Geet verbally had been completed. But what his heart had subconsciously promised her hung in the balance.

"I failed Dev," he said quietly to himself, contemplating aloud on his next move. "But I won't fail you, Geet. I'll move heaven & earth, because what Maan Singh Khurana says, he does."

For the first time in so long, Geet had been excused from making Brij's breakfast, the task was given to Rajji instead.

Because Geet had been sat in front of her bedroom mirror, alone with her thoughts. Downstairs, she could hear the hustle & bustle of preparations taking place.

Jewellry was laid out in front of her, the jewellry she had once been forbidden from touching by Tayyi-ji. Her mother's jewellry.

Geet slowly reached out & touched the gold necklace which was embroided with delicate green jewels. Tears formed in her eyes & threatened to escape onto her cheeks, but she dabbed them away before anyone walked in.

She had already been given a gold & green lengha choli to wear by Tayyi-ji, who hadn't hidden her relief at Geet's marraige, hence the reason being why she was actually treating Geet like she was a human being for once.

As if right on cue, Tayyi-ji walked in, blowing out a sigh of exasperation.

"Darjee wants to get the ceremony done before the evening so we'd better get you ready now. Everyone from Hoshiarpur is arriving, it's a big occasion. We've waited so long to see you finally get married, I'm so glad this day is finally here."

Geet remained expressionless, aware of the real reason behind Tayyi-ji's false display of concern & affection.

She sat motionless like a statue as Tayyi-ji got her ready. Her mind was lost elsewhere in the painful realisation that Maan would never know about her marraige. He had probably gone back to Delhi, glad of the fact that he wouldn't have to chase up her land papers, glad of the fact that he wouldn't have to cope with her continous tears.

He belonged there, & she belonged here.

He pulled up a street away from the Handas, not wanting to be caught. Already from here he could hear loud & excited chatter.

Jumping out of the jeep with a manila folder in his hand, he half walked & half ran to the back side of the Handa's.

Peering from afar he could see decorations had been put up in the main living area. He watched as villagers poured into the house.

He couldn't see Geet's window from where he stood, so he climbed over the fence & crouched low, creeping along the garden. He was so engrossed in keeping low that he didn't realise the young female who had her back to him, wearing a churidaar suit as she hummed a low, sad tune to herself.

He froze when he saw her, and attempted to retreat when she suddenly turned around and dropped the small basket she had in her hand.

"I recognise you," she said quietly.

And Maan recognised her too. She was the young girl who was standing beside Geet for the first time he had seen her. And the same girl who had been looking extremely distressed when he had walked in on Darjee punishing Geet.

"I think I came to the wrong house, I apologise," Maan said hurriedly & turned to walk away.

"Wait. You helped Geet di."

He turned around, frowning slightly. "Helped her? What do you mean?"

"The lotion & the handkerchief. You came to heal her wounds that night."

Maan was surprised at how she came to find out, then realised that Geet had probably told her.

Rajji's face became forlorn and thick tears formed in her eyes. "Save her," she whispered.

"Save her?" he asked, becoming worried at how this young girl was crying at the mere thought of Geet. What had her so called family done to her?

"Please," Rajji pleaded. "They're forcing her into this marraige so they can get rid of her. You're the only one who can save her from this. I can't see my Geet di being punished like this."

Maan had already decided long ago that he would do whatever it took to stop Geet's wedding. But seeing her younger sister plead with him to take action ignited a fire in his heart which told him that he had to do something immediately.

"Go and bring Geet out here," he said to Rajji, who nodded once in agreement.

She turned to leave, then turned back suddenly. "Thank you so much," she whispered, & rushed inside.

Tayyi-ji had left Geet to admire her complexion in the mirror, but it was the last thing on Geet's mind. She felt a heavy burden, a nagging feeling that seeped into her soul & it wouldn't go away.

Geet was startled as Rajji burst into the room, shaking her out of her thoughts. Rajji looked extremely worried, & Geet rushed over to her.

"Rajji, what happened?" she asked, placing her hands on her cheeks.

"Come with me, quickly," she replied, tugging Geet towards the door.

"But where?"

"Please di, we don't have time for this, just hurry. We can't be seen."

Geet took Rajji's hand & allowed her to lead her out of the house. Luckily, everyone was so engrossed in their preparations that they didn't notice them escape out of the main door.

Rajji stopped short before they turned the corner to where Maan was stood.

"Di, this is for your own benefit,"
she whispered, & left to go back inside the house.

"Rajji, what's all this about?" Geet asked, but her sister ignored her & ran inside.

He heard her. The sweet, melodious voice which was like music to his ears. He felt like it had been years since he had heard her.

He could almost feel his anticipation radiate off him as he turned towards the corner and saw her step out, her eyes directly meeting his.

Maan's heartbeat doubled as he took in the sight before him. There she stood, wearing a gold & green lengha choli which fit her small figure perfectly. The small earrings & necklace which adorned her ears & neck seemed like they were made for her.

Light kohl outlined her already beautiful hazel eyes and her hair was pulled back into a loose plait, with a few strands falling loose.

She was breathtaking, and she certainly took his breath away.

His eyes travelled back up to meet hers, & for Geet that one look filled with compassion & love was all it took for her to tremble & allow the tears to fall down her face.

Maan walked to her immediately, stopping just a few feet away from her. Geet looked down at the ground, unable to control her actions.

"Geet, look at me," he said softly, using his finger to lift her chin. Tenderly, he reached out & wiped her tears away, his own heart breaking with every bit of sadness he saw in her face.

She noticed the folder in her hand & looked at him, bewildered. Maan's eyes were still fixed on her, he hadn't realised how much he had missed her in just a day.

"What's that?" she asked quietly.

"The land papers. Your land papers. It's all in your name."

Geet frowned in confusion. "But how-?"

"Kuldeep Singh isn't running an election. He was sent by Munshi to get your signatures so we could forge them."

Before Geet could open her mouth to protest, Maan placed a finger on her lips, his eyes softening.

"I did it for you. Everything I've done has been for you. I care so much about you that I swear, it's going to kill me one day-"

Geet couldn't hold it in any longer and she crushed herself to him, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly as she sobbed into his shoulder while she hugged him. Her heart finally felt at ease as she realised that she had been dying for his hug for so long.

Maan immediately wrapped his arms around her, closing his eyes as he rested his chin on her head, protecting her from the rest of the world. He stroked her hair as he attempted to soothe her crying.

Neither of them wanted to let go, but Maan eventually forced himself to pull Geet gently away from him. He held her by the shoulders as he wiped her tears away once more.

Geet was avoiding Maan's gaze, looking down at the ground but she noticed something flashing in his pocket. Maan noticed Geet staring at something intently and his eyes travelled to where hers rested.

"That's my phone," he explained.

"It's been flashing for ages," she said quietly.

Maan sighed angrily & pulled it out - yet another call from Vicky. He angrily rejected it once more.

"It was my brother, he's been ringing me continously for the past few days,"
he said angrily.

"So why aren't you answering it?"

"I don't have time for his nonsense."

"It must be something important, otherwise he wouldn't call you all the time."

Maan's phone starting flashing again. Feeling incredibly annoyed, he answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Bro, I've been calling you for days, you need to get back to Delhi as soon as possible," spoke Vicky from the other end. He sounded worried, & Maan noticed.

"Vicky, is everything ok?"

"It's Dadima, she's had a really bad fever for the past 2 days & she keeps calling your name."

Maan felt an immediate pang of guilt. How could he have forgotten about his Dadima?

But then he saw Geet & realised he couldn't leave her.

"I'm really busy here, have you called a doctor for her?"

"No, I've let her suffer in her bedroom alone whilst I go out partying, of course I called a doctor!" Vicky was agitated & annoyed. "He's given her medicines, herbal remedies, everything but she keeps asking for you. I don't care what's going on over there, you need to come back home right now."

Vicky cut the call, leaving Maan distressed.

"What is it?" Geet asked, noticing how worried he looked.

"Nothing."

"Don't lie to me. Please."

"My... my Dadima is ill, my brother called. They need me back in Delhi."

Geet felt her heart sink. "When?" she asked, her voice faltering.

"As soon as possible," he said quietly.

"You can't leave me," she whispered. "I know I'm being stupid & selfish but they're going to marry me off if you leave. We might never see each other again, and I can't-"

Maan stepped forward, silencing Geet by taking her delicate hands into his own. "Come with me."

Phew! I hope that was a satisfying & long enough update for you all after my short absence. I actually found this chapter difficult to write, I don't even know why. I lost count of the amount of times I typed things out & then deleted them. Hmm.

Anyway, thankyou to everyone who has liked & commented, it keeps me going 😊

HIT THAT LIKE BUTTON!
Long comments preferable 😊 But any comments are welcome, of course 😃

Chapter 18 - The Longed Escape

Edited by walkintomylifex - 12 years ago
craziekudi thumbnail

YUPPIE ME FIRST...

wow dear... missed you and your updates...

i wanted maan to take geet away from her family asap...

loved the way maan said.. i did everything for u...

and geet hugged maan.. so sweet.. they both care for each other...

but doesnt know how will the other feel...

beautifully written...

continue soon
Edited by maneet1985 - 12 years ago
aamirkhanfan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
awesome...yes, maan take her with you
bubblygal thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
yaar...nice update...
mera tho ek hi dialouge hai maanet ke liye...BHAGOOO...
plzz continue it soon...
thanks 4 d pm...
mrk-1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
hey you left at such a place yar !!
update was awsome ... 
update soon ...
am very eager 2 know wat gonna happen next 
aakritisri1111 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 8
Loved it loved it loved it loved it so much. It was amazing update. I think geet too had feelings 4 maan bt she couldnt able to recognize yet. Nd d last scene dat hug one was simply gr8. So r they running 4m dere? I mean geet will bcome a runaway bride. Pls update soon to end d suspense
Myra.nelly thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Beautiful part,liked the fact that geet didnt want him to leave...tnx 4 pm,pls continue soon!
ninavi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

__________________ ðŸ˜Š