Posted: 12 years ago
great part
love it
ty 4 pm
preethia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
loved the update...
i am glad that he confessed and that he is no longer doing it on sympathy...
she too confessed though not directly yet...
waiting to c how they r gonna get the signs...
pl cont soon
AWw nycee update Fozi luved it cant waite for the next part thnx for the pmz xx
janu_2006 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
hey
gr8 part..
cont.sooon

thanks for pm dear,,

Chapter 14 - Mind Over Matter

"Here she is. The curse of the entire family."

Geet looked up from the floor at Brij, whose vile words had pierced through her heart.

The adult Handas were gathered in the living area once more on Darjee's request. Rajji & Tito had been given strict orders to refrain from making an appearance downstairs by their mother.
Darjee had a habit of summoning everyone whenever he felt the need to address an issue, which was always about Geet.

"We try to organise a rishta for her, & the family decides to back out." He looked directly at Geet, who had tears forming in her eyes. "But don't worry, we'll get you married off soon enough. Don't think you've gotten away with it."

"She's aware of that, aren't you?" Darjee asked. Geet couldn't find the courage to look up. "Aren't you?!" he bellowed loudly, his anger visible through his booming voice.

She meekly nodded once.

"You had a hand behind all this," Darjee said, his jaw tightening with fury. "You must have arranged for their alarm to go off, for the family to abandon the talks & leave."

Geet shook her head, feeling a cold shiver run down her spine with fear.

"Don't lie to me. You know what happens when you lie."

Tayyi-ji stepped forward, adjusting her dupatta. "Darjee, maybe Geet didn't do it directly herself... maybe she got someone to do it for her."

Geet's eyes snapped to her aunt, who was glaring at her.

Does Tayyi-ji know that Maan was here?  Geet thought, her hands tightening around her dupatta.

"We don't know what she gets up to, do we?" Tayyi-ji suggested. "I think we need to tighten our reins on her, don't you?"

Darjee nodded in agreement. "Seeing that violence doesn't seem to have an effect on her, this is the only way left now. We'll have to find a new rishta for her though."

"Darjee, don't worry about that. I have many friends who have impressionable young sons. We can lump Geet off with one of them,"
Tayyi-ji said proudly.

Behind her, her husband was frowning, unhappy with the way the conversation was going. He felt powerless, he was overruled by Darjee. Unless you didn't agree with what he said, you didn't have a say.

"Good." Brij added, placing his hands on his hips. "The sooner she's out of here, the better."

"Get out of my sight," Darjee snarled.

Geet made a quick dash for the stairs, she felt as if her legs couldn't take her fast enough. She closed the door behind her & collapsed onto the bed, compulsively sobbing. She had escaped the beatings, but something much worse was looming over her. The beatings always healed, but this would not.

Tayyi-ji didn't know that it was Maan behind the family leaving, but she was suspicious.

Brij was horrifically poisonous towards her, whenever he spoke to her his words oozed with venom.

And Darjee was desperate to see her married off, so she wouldn't be living under his roof any more.

And to make matters worse, she would be kept under close surveillance.

Her hopes, her dreams of ever having freedom seemed to be swept away. Her wishes of making something out of her father's land were washed away like a tidal wave.

Her hands gripped the duvet as pain & anger boiled inside her. It was very rare of Geet to ever feel anger, but it felt so empowering over her.

She wanted to scream.

She cursed Maan, cursed him for ever making her believe she had hope. For ever making her think that she could gain what was rightfully hers.

He had told her she would be given justice, & she foolishly believed it.

Why had she allowed herself to be clouded by visions of a better life, when the reality was that she was trapped in this cycle, the cycle which her elders dominated & which she couldn't utter a word against.

The truth was inevitable, unavoidable. No matter how much Geet tried to push it out of her mind, the fact was that she would one day get married to a stranger.

Her land would become his.

She would be his wife, she would have to obey him, do as she said.

She would have to live the life she detested. She hated listening to orders, she hated doing what people told her to.

Yet it was something she had to endure for the past 13 years, & she knew she would have to endure it for the rest of her life.

Fate had dealt her a very tough hand. Without her parents by her side, it felt like a neverending dark abyss.

She angrily shoved her duvet off the bed, moving her pillows as she did. One of them shifted to reveal the handkerchief & lotion she kept.

She got up & walked over to the side of the bed where they were placed. She lifted them both up.

They healed her external wounds, but her internal wounds would never be healed. They would always be exposed & inflicted upon even more by her family. No amount of hope, or faith, or dreaming would ever heal them.

Geet shoved the lotion & handkerchief in the top drawer, not wanting to look at them. Not wanting to remember her false hopes of freedom.

She felt physically sick as she collapsed onto the floor, her room an unusual mess, her tears flowing from her eyes once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That following morning, Geet was lucky enough to be able to have escaped from the house early to walk to college by herself.

She knew eyebrows would be raised at her early exit. She knew Darjee, Brij & Tayyi-ji would disapprove as they had stated that she needed to be chaperoned at all times.

She knew Rajji would wonder where her beloved sister was.

But she was prepared to take the risk for some peace & quiet to herself.

Hoshiarpur was beautiful early in the morning. It was mid-May, the sun was shining, the birds were singing.

Yet Geet couldn't appreciate the natural beauty. Everything felt grey & dull to her.

She didn't even have to look back to see who it was when she heard the sound of a jeep roar along the road. She refused to turn back, refused to let herself slip into a false reality he was convincing her to believe.

Maan stopped the jeep abruptly, expecting her to turn to look at him again with her piercing hazel eyes.

But to his irritation, she looked ahead & picked up the pace.

He jumped out of the jeep & ran after her, wanting to grab her wrist & pull her back.

But he refrained, deciding to take a more subtle approach instead. He was easily faster than her, so he simply jogged ahead of her & stood in her way.

Geet moved to the left; so did he. She sighed & moved to the right; Maan mimicked her moves.

"What do you want?" she snapped.

He was taken aback - he had never heard her speak so harshly before. Apart from the usual softness, fury blazed in her eyes.

"We still need to go to the registry office. Luckily, it's not far from here. I can take you now, you're early for college anyway. Once we get that sorted, we can focus on-"

Geet held her hand out. "Stop. Please stop."

"I know you're probably afraid of your family but this something you need to do. We'll do whatever it takes to get his signatures. I promise."

Geet frowned. "I don't need your promises. I don't need you to give me false hope. I can see my future, my reality, & it's not what you mistakenly believe it can be. I don't want the land anymore."

Precap: "I can't believe you're falling for the poison they're injecting in your mind."

They're short updates, I know, but I have to stop myself before I ramble on & end up telling the whole story in one update 😆

That wasn't an intense cliffhanger... right? Well, not as intense as the previous ones 😳

HIT THAT LIKE BUTTON!
Long comments preferable 😊 But any comments are welcome, of course 😃

Chapter 15 - Optimism
Edited by walkintomylifex - 12 years ago
Awesome update..
hmm is the precap abt maan saying it to Geet?
update soon 😛

Jessica
felicitysmoak. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Awesome update
Lobed it loads
Can't wait 4 da next part
Con soon
Thanks 4 da pm
Muahhh
Xxx
Sabmeratu. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Fab update::
Urggh that taayji alwaiiz wants a chance to speak against geet,,,And her poor uncle can't even say anything
Now geet blaming maan for giving hopes to her & poor maan was doing this as he cant see an innocent life being ruined
Interesting precap
Cont soon Xx...
Tyro thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
nice part...

feel sad for geet...she saw hope which is still there...but is afraid to admit it...coz the reality of her life came back...

continue soon...

thnx for PM..
lovelycutietedy thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
it was a small one...
but it was god.
update soon