Neil's expressive best: Kesar's inner turmoil

Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Today's episode had Neil at his emotional and expressive best. I usually confine myself to Neil's appreciation thread. But today, I had to start a new thread. It was an emotionally draining roller coaster episode so full of Kesar's raw emotions.

Scene between Kesar and Gulaal

Gulaal was calm and gently chided him for scaring her. He directly came to the point asking why she suggested Dushyant. He was not convinced by her explanation that he looks away from her. He was straight forward to tell her that she and others were not the same for him. So it made a difference to him that she became Sarpanch. He was angry why she contradicted MBs decision. It reflected how much he respected his father. He was not carried away by her further explanation in favor of Dushyant. He made it clear to her that only she supported Dushyant. When she argued saying MB understood, Kesar told her that what about his understanding or his feelings. Kesar fumbled for words to pose the question in a decent way and told her that he did not understand what she was trying to say. Her argument pushed him to yell out and ask her what was the real reason(wajah) that forced her (majboori) to suggest Dushyant.

She was also to the point in asking him if what bothered him was for suggesting Dushyant or because she did what he did not like. He was shocked. Was it the first realization as to why he did because for a minute he had to dwell on it but could not answer her? He himself gave it a thought but walked away in anger.

Scene between Kesar and Raman

Kesar has forgotten that Raman had once tried to kill him or the reason why he went to jail. Like a small child, in all the innocence he greeted him with an honest and gorgeous smile. Raman's talk added fuel to fire. Kesar was aware of the touch when Raman caressed his face giving me a hope that he did not entirely believe him. But when Raman said he knew the reason for Gulaal chosing Dushyant, he was inquisitive. He contemplated on his answer that Kesar was young to understand all this and not to fall into all these issues/politics. Kesar was caring enough to ask if he met Sudha Babhi 

Kesar all alone

My heart went to Kesar in this scene. A four and a half minutes scene but it gave an insight into Kesar's heart and the inner turmoil he was going through. Kesar appeared the emotionally disturbed child who has safeguarded all these letters like a treasure. Neil's posture and body language was perfect for Kesar's state of mind. I felt really moved seeing Kesar mumbling and miming through the wrong letters and finally reaching the right one where he had poured out the same feelings in the letter.

He very well was aware that only Gulaal could give the answers to the innumerable questions in his mind and only she could lay all his doubts to rest. He admits that several times he wanted to ask her and also believed that she would speak the truth. He showed his trust and confidence in her regarding the truth after which he believed everything would be back to normal as before. He so wanted that happy life that he had spent with her.

Kesar's tears overflowing, he rubs his snot and asks himself why he can't ask her or why he can't bring himself to ask her. There was a beautiful and painful pause before he said " Nahi, nahi, mei darta nahi hoon, kisi se bhi nahi". It showed his denial as well as fear that he thought might be the inevitable truth. The voice modulation was just too perfect to show the child's mind way back then.

Actually the child Kesar very much needed some serious counseling. But no one knew what he was going through. But Gulaal having known him should have seriously given it a thought that he does not meet her for which there would be some grave issue bothering him than being sent to boarding school.

That came as a declaration when he said "Jawab se darta hoon, isliye pooch nahi paata" and questions himself why he is scared of her answer when he trusts her so much.

Till here, no dialogues and emotions brought out for the voice over. That was admirable.

From here onwards, we have the elder Kesar talking out aloud, voicing his concern out to himself and admitting that he has not been able to ask her fearing that her answer might separate him from her forever. He is still living in the past but he has carried it forward till now. Continuing to recollect Raman's words, Kesar just cried his heart out holding the letter to his chest with one hand and the other hand on his head. The flute playing in the back ground music was really haunting and added the perfect pathos for the situation.

Even after crying out loud, he is still haunted by Durgesh's words that the fear of truth had his hands shivering and finally he suppresses his sobs into them.

Neil, your acting in the role of Kesar is so believable and quite influential I must say. My occasional bouts of depression and short temper get all its credit for watching Kesar. Jokes apart, seriously I have no words to express my feelings regarding your performance. Now if this is not acting, then what is? I would say, thank you. Someone had suggested we are so pampered seeing your quality acting. That was rightly said. We are.

Edited by MeySimi - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

You have to always go back to the video to check if we have missed something.

Today Kesar was stammering for words in places where he said

Tu,Tu keh rahi hai ki,...tu itni samajhdaar ho gayi hai ki...
Jo kuch bhi tu ne samjhaya, mei,mei woh nahi samjha...

If you see the older episode where Gulaal slaps Kesar when he was almost hurting himself in the chulha fire, small Kesar reacted with...Ma..Ma..Maara???

Nice to know they have maintained  this detail too. And of course appreciate Neil for having understood and adapted himself to Ali Haji's mannerisms and blending into young Kesar
Edited by MeySimi - 12 years ago
Incense thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
hey dear finaly u made a separate post its such a bliss to read it ! and got to admit u r a  keen observer ! i have always admire ma ma mara scene by ali but didnt pay attention that neil incorporated it too ! really gonna watch again !

and do keep writing separately !😳
gauri92 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
he killed the scene...he was brilliant...

and i wonder what neil will be like when he actually confronts gulaal about the nature of their relationship...i can't wait to see more of how neil acts out the various scenes that will b thrown at him...
Neil-fan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Yes Meysimi agreed with u, Neil's performance today deserved a special mention in a seperate thread. I am speechless to say, never ever seen something close to this in KB...yes even in those ending emotional moments. He has just raised his own standard a notch higher. The way as he was reading those letters his mind going through a whirlwind of thoughts and his heart crying out something else, his fear finally comes out on his lips.
Wont write much since you have already written so well...but just wanted to add Kesar's POV. Anyway I look at it it is a NO WIN situation for Kesar. If he doesn't ask Gulaal the question that is bothering him he will  be living the rest of his life like this dying every minute and if he asks her also the blame will be on him... How can he question Gulaal's innocence? after all she has done so much for the family.etc etc. As far as Raman is concerned he was very civil to Raman just like a younger brother would be to an older one. Yes but I did not see him trusting Raman openly.
Lets see if ultimately, if ever  Kesar end's up asking Gulaal that question or how the truth will come out.(Honestly I dont see it any other way ...it has to come from either Gulaal or Dushyant )Gulaal's lips are sealed tightly for now  in fact if ever a situation arises where the truth will come out I feel Gulaal  would go to every possible extent to bury this matter again.

A big thumbs up for Neil👍🏼
ansuya12 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I absolutely agree.  I had never seen NeilB before this serial and I am amazed at his acting.  He has the innate skill of a Naseeruddin Shah - his looks of course are good too :) - but it is the calibre of his acting that is absolutely great.  You forget his looks and are riveted by Kesar.  I do hope he continues to blaze a trail by taking on emotionally complicated roles that challenge him. 
Manasi is a great actress too.  And I am keen on seeing how she enacts the inner turmoil of Gulaal.  The seemingly effortless chemistry between the protagonists is amazing!

I am very impressed by the casting for this serial - while there is color, glitter and jewellry, it is not overwhelming - the sly hints, suggestions and story loops are excellent.  Even the very irritating Talli and her puppy love is something one can relate to. 
Incense thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
me saw karol bagh last week neil was awesome as abhi but as kesar he is fabulous and flawless   i cant imagine any other actor protraying  this complex character  so well ! its an award winning performance
tk157 thumbnail
Neil was just fantastic today...what a mind blowing performance!!!! 👏👏
-Srushti- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: MeySimi

You have to always go back to the video to check if we have missed something.

Today Kesar was stammering for words in places where he said

Tu,Tu keh rahi hai ki,...tu itni samajhdaar ho gayi hai ki...
Jo kuch bhi tu ne samjhaya, mei,mei woh nahi samjha...

If you see the older episode where Gulaal slaps Kesar when he was almost hurting himself in the chulha fire, small Kesar reacted with...Ma..Ma..Maara???

Nice to know they have maintained  this detail too. And of course appreciate Neil for having understood and adapted himself to Ali Haji's mannerisms and blending into young Kesar

owww...Meysimi you noticed this one...goody good..I thought I was the only one..the stuttering on mein...was sooo perfectly done...as  I said..when he is before Gulaal, the inner child surfaces...brilliant observation👏
Thanks Srushti,
I try my best to never miss an oppurtunity where I can mention something in appreciation of Neil.