Debate Mansion

IQ? - Page 2

-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
A standard IQ test was developed to answer one question 'What are you trying to predict?', basically how far will you be able to achieve in academic!  Truelove this is start to the controversy because there are so many things which can predict success or failure in human experience that IQ test does not measure - such as kindness, will to succeed and willingness to learn!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
An IQ test measures intelligence as in reasoning, problem solving, logic etc. So if you have a high IQ your ability to solve quantitative problems is very high. Low IQ means your reason and logic skills are sub par. IQ is a mix or natural ability and education received.

As we can see IQ is not a predictor of success and even people with lower IQ display some competency. That is why psychologist Howard Gardner developed the Multiple Intelligence Theory that states there are different types of intelligences in humans that serve different purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Not sure how accurate this is but I'm trying this test now

http://literacyworks.org/mi/assessment/findyourstrengths.html
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: return_to_hades

An IQ test measures intelligence as in reasoning, problem solving, logic etc. So if you have a high IQ your ability to solve quantitative problems is very high. Low IQ means your reason and logic skills are sub par. IQ is a mix or natural ability and education received.

As we can see IQ is not a predictor of success and even people with lower IQ display some competency. That is why psychologist Howard Gardner developed the Multiple Intelligence Theory that states there are different types of intelligences in humans that serve different purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Not sure how accurate this is but I'm trying this test now

http://literacyworks.org/mi/assessment/findyourstrengths.html

I took the same test twice by purposely selecting the option 1 ('Statement does not describe you at all
'), option 5 ('Statement describes you exactly') for all the 56 questions and as a results...

Body Self Spatial Nature Social
1/51/51/5 😆
1/51/5

"Just because these five are not in your top three doesn't mean you're not strong in them. If your average score for any intelligence is above three, you're probably using that intelligence quite often to help you learn. Take a look at the 'Practice' section to see how to engage all your intelligences. " 😆

ps ... the most important things we need to manage can't be measured as life is not a multiple choice test, it's an open-book essay exam! 😛

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: .FunLuvingGirl.

And about the nature and nurture, yes both effects a lot.

What we gain from our parents' genes (hereditary) effects our intelligence and that is the main factor about a person having more or less intelligence.
And talking about the environment, it also effects. It checks our adaptability with the
environment.

-Soma.

Affects
what made you stop with just one 😆
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Cos I don't have time, or rather the free internet kiosk at airport won't give me time (not more than 15 mins). In transit right now. Had been flying for the last 9 hrs. Will still have to fly for another 5 hrs.
.FunLuvingGirl. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

oh ! 😆 thanks..my frequent mistake..
Edited by .FunLuvingGirl. - 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: souro

Cos I don't have time, or rather the free internet kiosk at airport won't give me time (not more than 15 mins). In transit right now. Had been flying for the last 9 hrs. Will still have to fly for another 5 hrs.

You got to be a true DM addict 😆
-pixie- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: .Doe.

These IQ tests are really dumb. There is more to intelligence than the IQ tests. 

The reason these IQ tests came into existence was to divide children into categories based on their IQ in France...it was a method to make it easy for the teacher to know who was bright & who wasn't. That was started by Alfred Binet. However, it was Sir Francis Galton (a cousin of Darwin I guess), who introduced intelligence to Psychology. He made baseless statements like rich are more intelligent than poor, white are more intelligent than coloured, men are more intelligent than women and blah. Funny how a theory like this led to a vast topic like Intelligence.

As for nature vs nurture, it is a bit of both. We all know that genes play a great part in everything, including intelligence. This can be seen through studies like Twin studies, Pedigree analysis, etc.
As for the theory supporting nurture, I have read that orphans (neglected) who came under the mentally retarded category through IQ tests showed improvement in the intelligence levels when they were adopted by a lady who took good care of them.
So it is a bit of both.

Actually a Harvard Economics prof (Greg Mankiw) has data up on his blog that sort of correlates income (of parents) with intelligence and success of their progeny. I guess the intuitive hypothesis would be that the kind of opportunities that would be available to a child coming from a rich family would far outnumber those available to a poorer off child. Better coaching, better resources- would sharpen and polish the rich child far quicker even if both the children started out with the same. I guess this also validates a bit of the nurture debate that Aarya raised!
MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: -pixie-

Actually a Harvard Economics prof (Greg Mankiw) has data up on his blog that sort of correlates income (of parents) with intelligence and success of their progeny. I guess the intuitive hypothesis would be that the kind of opportunities that would be available to a child coming from a rich family would far outnumber those available to a poorer off child. Better coaching, better resources- would sharpen and polish the rich child far quicker even if both the children started out with the same. I guess this also validates a bit of the nurture debate that Aarya raised!

History says that Sir Francis Galton was proven wrong when he tried to support his theories with proofs. 😆
Intelligence per say, is not about what one has learnt..it's mainly about their capability to learn something. And we all know that money cannot buy capability. 😆
Edited by .Doe. - 12 years ago