Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Freida Pinto Spotted at the France Airport (Page 4)

v3Rsace Goldie
v3Rsace
v3Rsace

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 1:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by radsuinda

why is that its only in south asia(india,paki) people find her overrated?? I have never seen any of westerners calling her overrated or avg looking...As far as the glamour mag i have too read the interview ur talking abt.They never mentioned her as sdm fame.she is in holly only for 2 years.After slumdog she did only 2 indie films.so its natural that some section of media might still call her sdm fame as it grossed over 1800 crs and made her more recognisable than dev.

Truth be told, I wasn't all that blown away by Slumdog Millionaire to start with. I think the entire movie was a fluke. But whether or not I think it deserved to sweep the Oscars, truth is it did and I can do nothing about it. Frieda's success was a consequence of something that I consider a fluke, which makes Freida's success an even bigger fluke in my eyes. All the more so since she a very brief part of the movie. Oh, and it might interest you to know that this is a "westerner" speaking. 

Coming to her looks, it is absolutely useless to argue over looks. One person's goddess can be another person's eyesore. If I don't find her all that she is made out to be, no logic or math equation can alter how she appears to my eyes. So it's useless to question why I don't find her pretty - just because. Also, I am well aware of the dynamics of both hollywood and bollywood and I assure you that my perception has nothing to do with where I live.

To add some final thoughts, I didn't mind the initial media buzz around her but considering that it's been over two years now and she still hasn't given anything substantial so far other than her dressing sense and photoshoots, 
it bothers me to see her still feeding off those few glimpses she had in the movie.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

TintinleMechantkoolchick

doser Senior Member
doser
doser

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _VERSACE_

why is that its only in south asia(india,paki) people find her overrated?? I have never seen any of westerners calling her overrated or avg looking...As far as the glamour mag i have too read the interview ur talking abt.They never mentioned her as sdm fame.she is in holly only for 2 years.After slumdog she did only 2 indie films.so its natural that some section of media might still call her sdm fame as it grossed over 1800 crs and made her more recognisable than dev.

<font><font color="#660099">
<font color="#660099" face="'Comic Sans MS', Times, serif">
Truth be told, I wasn't all that blown away by Slumdog Millionaire to start with. I think the entire movie was a fluke. But whether or not I think it deserved to sweep the Oscars, truth is it did and I can do nothing about it.Frieda's success was a consequence of something that I consider a fluke, which makes Freida's success an even bigger fluke in my eyes. All the more so since she a very brief part of the movie.Oh, and it might interest you to know that this is a "westerner" speaking.

<font color="#660099">Coming to her looks, it is absolutely useless to argue over looks. One person's goddess can be another person's eyesore. If I don't find her all that she is made out to be, no logic or math equation can alter how she appears to my eyes. So it's useless to question why I don't find her pretty - just because. Also, I am well aware of the dynamics of both hollywood and bollywood and I assure you that my perception has nothing to do with where I live.</font>

<font color="#660099">To add some final thoughts, I didn't mind the initial media buzz around her but considering that it's been over two years now and she still hasn't given anything substantial so far other than her dressing sense and photoshoots,</font>
<font color="#660099">it bothers me to see her still feeding off those few glimpses she had in the movie.</font>
</font>
</font></font>
whats ur ethnicity? Are u sure ur not a person of south asian origin?
v3Rsace Goldie
v3Rsace
v3Rsace

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged

Truth be told, I wasn't all that blown away by Slumdog Millionaire to start with. I think the entire movie was a fluke. But whether or not I think it deserved to sweep the Oscars, truth is it did and I can do nothing about it.Frieda's success was a consequence of something that I consider a fluke, which makes Freida's success an even bigger fluke in my eyes. All the more so since she a very brief part of the movie.Oh, and it might interest you to know that this is a "westerner" speaking.

<font color="#660099">Coming to her looks, it is absolutely useless to argue over looks. One person's goddess can be another person's eyesore. If I don't find her all that she is made out to be, no logic or math equation can alter how she appears to my eyes. So it's useless to question why I don't find her pretty - just because. Also, I am well aware of the dynamics of both hollywood and bollywood and I assure you that my perception has nothing to do with where I live.</font>

<font color="#660099">To add some final thoughts, I didn't mind the initial media buzz around her but considering that it's been over two years now and she still hasn't given anything substantial so far other than her dressing sense and photoshoots,</font>
<font color="#660099">it bothers me to see her still feeding off those few glimpses she had in the movie.</font>
</font>
</font></font>
whats ur ethnicity? Are u sure ur not a person of south asian origin?

Last I checked, my ethnicity was not the topic of discussion. Do you mind?Smile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

TintinleMechantkoolchick-PoisonIvy-

Nuktaacheen IF-Dazzler
Nuktaacheen
Nuktaacheen

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:33am | IP Logged
LOL, versace... see that's the thing with free forums, we're bound to cross each other's path... Wink
going pleasantly, i see... LOLLOL

alright, in all seriousness... if people find her 'overrated' and her success to be a 'fluke', then really, that's their own opinion... isn't it...?  at the end of the day, we can't control what happens with certain celebs, whether we may like them or not... or whether we find the movies overrated, or what not...

truth is, she is successful... and a lot of people are still famous for their earlier roles... ever heard sean connery still associated with james bonds, and that was a decade ago... that doesn't mean he hasn't done any work afterwards...!  TongueTongueTongue 

and if the media is interested in her news, then that's really that, isn't it...

so really, at the end, if you or whoever else finds her overrated, that's their view really... a lot of bollywood stars are overrated too... just the way it works... wo kya kehte hain... publicity ka khel..!

even aamir khan literally shoved his dear bhanja down everyone's throat, parading him around... and continues to do so, until he'll make a star out of him... LOLLOL  really, not much i can do about that...!

everyone does things for publicity... they all have their means... so why in the whole world, frieda's pictures at an airport should be a hullaballo...?  TongueTongue

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

robfanaticyouknowmeDexterkichokri

robfanatic Groupbie
robfanatic
robfanatic

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged

</font>
</font></font>
yeah your right.Im sure if ur in her position you would have turned down all these wonderful oppurtunities to wear fabulous and doing photoshoot for international magazines.Im sure you would have said, " oh I just had 15 mins role in a film.so pls don't give me any attention until i prove my acting skills" If that's the case then even India biggest actress katrina should not be popular...And also just because u live in abroad it doesn't make u a westerner.ppl there would still call u an indian/south asian/arab.

Edited by robfanatic - 22 May 2011 at 7:24am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

youknowme

Dexterkichokri IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:31am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

robfanaticyouknowme

robfanatic Groupbie
robfanatic
robfanatic

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dexterphile

Originally posted by Nuktaacheen

LOLLOL honestly, why the heck not...?
isn't it all about publicity nowadays...? even a minisha lamba who has literally NO memorable roles or anything substantial to her credit makes news... so why not Frieda... she is known for her fashion, and her accomplishments outside of India, do put Indians out there on the map... TongueTongue
amusing still...some superstar'ssisteror wife would also make news, considering they have NO bollywood movies...at least, Frieda has one movie to her credit... WinkTongueTongue

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif"><font color="#660099">...and we meet again.</font></font> <font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif"><font color="#660099">;)

Here's the thing. It's been more than two years since SDM came out. You'd think that it would run its course by now, but apparently, not. Even then, Dev
Patel, who had a much more compelling role as well as more screen time, is nowhere
to be seen whereas Frieda, who only had a couple of snippets in it, still gets
her face to the papers upon being spotted at airports, malls, diners, etc. at the rate of at least one a month. <font size="2">The reason being?</font> <font size="2">She's the SDM fame.</font>
</font></font><font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif"><font color="#660099">I've been hearing the same old reason for gazillion times now...Pinch If she had some more well received movies under her belt, then perhaps I wouldn't find the hype that follows her so gross. </font></font>
<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif"><font color="#660099">And yes, I agree that Frieda isn't the first and last person to be hyped up for just showing her face in a movie that happened to hit the jackpot. But just because a lot of such overrated cases exist does not
mean that we should perpetuate it by giving it a stamp of approval, does
it?

</font>
</font>

Its not just the SDM craze, SDM came and left 2 years ago and she is the only one who hugely benefited from it.A lot has been said about Frieda's 15 minutes fame which happened 2 years ago. People also said her fame was a flash in the pan and soon she would disappear but she hasn't now, has she?TongueIf people have not gotten tired of her 15 minutes of fame even after 2 years, I don't think she is going anywhere anytime soon. Her popularity has only increased.Thepaparazziand the hollowood big shots love her. No other personality of Indian descent is followed everywhere like her. She dazzles the red carpet, she is on every magazine cover from every country you can think of, every renowned talk show. I don't see her case as any different from say the likes of other hollywood starlets who get followed everywhere and as such I don't find her popularity overrated.
Well said dexter.During the oscar time(2009) many here and other indian sites said she would fade away within few months.But she still manages to get lot of media attention and is seen on the cover of many international magazines despite keeping such a low profile for the past two years.Most importantly she is the only star of south asian origin who is getting leading roles(not supp characters like anil and irfan) in big holly films.

NuktaacheenDexterkichokri

v3Rsace Goldie
v3Rsace
v3Rsace

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged
@Nuktacheen:

It's going pleasantly, alright.LOL
I understand that everyone needs something to go off of in order to succeed. But if I don't agree with someone's claim to fame, I am free to express my disagreement regardless of whether or not I have control over it, don't you think?

I also noticed that a lot of people here including you are hung up on the theory of relativity. While it's true that a lot of people get to the top without much work to their credit, that fact alone doesn't stand to justify the act, does it? Plus this thread provides space to discuss only Freida, not Imran who Aamir is shoving at people's faces or Mallika who might have slept her way to Oscars. If someone comes up with a thread on them, I will voice my opinion there.
Also, you ask why in the world Frieda's spotting at the airport is causing a hullabaloo? Well, I saw this thread, and contributed...one thing led to another and the rest is history.LOL

@robfanatic & radsuinda: Excuse my ignorance but can you explain what you mean by a westerner? If that means someone who lives in the west, then yes, I am one. But if you are referring to the white people, then no, I'm not white.

Back to the topic, Freida is no doubt milking the opportunities life's throwing her way. To answer robfanatic, yes, I would have done the same if I were her. But I would still inwardly chalk up my success to luck more than my "acting". I bet she does too. I mean, think about it - i
f her success wasn't a fluke, she would have been thriving on her work, not on her red carpet appearances and photo shoots. If Freida has chosen acting as her profession, basic work ethic tells me that her major claim to fame should be her acting, not something else. Anything that she has to offer after her acting will be considered as side dish, not the entree. But since the side dish exceeds the entree in her case, it only makes sense to term her overrated, you know what I mean? Of course, my opinion is liable to change with her inputs as we go on.

@Dexter: What you are saying only proves my point. Your words--> "
Her popularity has only increased.The paparazzi and the hollowood big shots love her. No other personality of Indian descent is followed everywhere like her. She dazzles the red carpet, she is on every magazine cover from every country you can think of, every renowned talk show."

That's true. All I'm saying is that she's getting all of that because of her appearance in SDM.
While I agree that an Indian woman getting recognition outside the borders of India is a thing to take pride in, I also think that it was particularly for a very mediocre work of hers. Her part in SDM was nothing to write home about. I would have been happier if she was getting it for her phenomenal acting and not just because she's an indian beauty who appeared in one of the highest grossing movies of all times. What beats me is that people who condemn Katrina Kaif/Sonam/Deepika etc for being overhyped drape themselves in the Indian flag and applaud Freida Pinto's talent because she is an Indian woman when anyone in their right mind can see that there's not much of a difference between the two, except one works in bollywood and the other works in hollywood. Is it just me or does that spell double standards?

Edited by _VERSACE_ - 22 May 2011 at 11:15pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

TintinleMechant

Go to top