Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Freida Pinto Spotted at the France Airport - Page 4

Easy_A thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
@Nuktacheen:

It's going pleasantly, alright.πŸ˜†
I understand that everyone needs something to go off of in order to succeed. But if I don't agree with someone's claim to fame, I am free to express my disagreement regardless of whether or not I have control over it, don't you think?

I also noticed that a lot of people here including you are hung up on the theory of relativity. While it's true that a lot of people get to the top without much work to their credit, that fact alone doesn't stand to justify the act, does it? Plus this thread provides space to discuss only Freida, not Imran who Aamir is shoving at people's faces or Mallika who might have slept her way to Oscars. If someone comes up with a thread on them, I will voice my opinion there.
Also, you ask why in the world Frieda's spotting at the airport is causing a hullabaloo? Well, I saw this thread, and contributed...one thing led to another and the rest is history.πŸ˜†

@robfanatic & radsuinda: Excuse my ignorance but can you explain what you mean by a westerner? If that means someone who lives in the west, then yes, I am one. But if you are referring to the white people, then no, I'm not white.

Back to the topic, Freida is no doubt milking the opportunities life's throwing her way. To answer robfanatic, yes, I would have done the same if I were her. But I would still inwardly chalk up my success to luck more than my "acting". I bet she does too. I mean, think about it - i
f her success wasn't a fluke, she would have been thriving on her work, not on her red carpet appearances and photo shoots. If Freida has chosen acting as her profession, basic work ethic tells me that her major claim to fame should be her acting, not something else. Anything that she has to offer after her acting will be considered as side dish, not the entree. But since the side dish exceeds the entree in her case, it only makes sense to term her overrated, you know what I mean? Of course, my opinion is liable to change with her inputs as we go on.

@Dexter: What you are saying only proves my point. Your words--> "
Her popularity has only increased.The paparazzi and the hollowood big shots love her. No other personality of Indian descent is followed everywhere like her. She dazzles the red carpet, she is on every magazine cover from every country you can think of, every renowned talk show."

That's true. All I'm saying is that she's getting all of that because of her appearance in SDM.
While I agree that an Indian woman getting recognition outside the borders of India is a thing to take pride in, I also think that it was particularly for a very mediocre work of hers. Her part in SDM was nothing to write home about. I would have been happier if she was getting it for her phenomenal acting and not just because she's an indian beauty who appeared in one of the highest grossing movies of all times. What beats me is that people who condemn Katrina Kaif/Sonam/Deepika etc for being overhyped drape themselves in the Indian flag and applaud Freida Pinto's talent because she is an Indian woman when anyone in their right mind can see that there's not much of a difference between the two, except one works in bollywood and the other works in hollywood. Is it just me or does that spell double standards?

Edited by _VERSACE_ - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nuktaacheen thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
you know what kiddo... the so-called theory of 'relativity' applies everywhere in our daily life... sorry, but i do live in a real world, hence i tend to 'relate' it in such a way... πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

i honestly don't care whether someone disagrees... that is their prerogative and it's fine by me... if 'opinions' changed how things worked in real life, wouldn't that be something... πŸ˜‰

so the 'should be' or 'could be' kinda don't matter... what matters is 'what is'... and such things would come up when people don't tend to give credit where it's due...!

yet again, you can't look at the world through a bubble... well, you could, but that's your choice... everyone is free to choose their way... i would (and i don't care what others say) always look at the complete picture...  just how i am... not that i have ever cared about a stamp of approval on how i view the world so far, i certainly don't need that from unknown faces on the internet... πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

and i believe all your earlier questions have been answered... πŸ˜›πŸ˜›  agree, disagree, doesn't matter... debating is only effective when the others actually LISTEN (in this case, READ and UNDERSTAND) what others are saying, otherwise it's useless to repeat the same points over and over again... asking repeatedly why use SDM, when obviously it's not the only thing that's keeping her in news, is kinda silly, no...?

and i'll tell you what double standards is... people going gung ho over the most mediocre of hollywood stars and nitpicking everything about the indian actors, because it's tough to give the credit... brilliant acting is quite obviously not the criteria to measure one's success... there is no rocket science behind it, really...!  πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

and it's a FACT that a lot of desis are the ones who are most critical of our own stars... ghar ki murghi daal baraabar hona and all that you see...!

and i've never condemned sonam/katrina/deepika, as you put it... my standards certainly do NOT change, because of my own convenience...
robfanatic thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Nuktaacheen

you know what kiddo... the so-called theory of 'relativity' applies everywhere in our daily life... sorry, but i do live in a real world, hence i tend to 'relate' it in such a way... πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

i honestly don't care whether someone disagrees... that is their prerogative and it's fine by me... if 'opinions' changed how things worked in real life, wouldn't that be something... πŸ˜‰
so the 'shouldbe' or 'could be' kinda don't matter... what matters is 'what is'... and such things would come up when people don't tend to give credit where it's due...!
yet again, you can't look at the world through a bubble... well, you could, but that's your choice... everyone is free to choose their way... i would (and i don't care what others say) always look at the complete picture... just how i am... not that i have ever cared about a stamp of approval on how i view the world so far, i certainly don't need that from unknown faces on the internet... πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›
and i believe all your earlier questions have been answered... πŸ˜›πŸ˜› agree, disagree, doesn't matter... debating is only effective when the others actually LISTEN (in this case, READ and UNDERSTAND) what others are saying, otherwise it's useless to repeat the same points over and over again... asking repeatedly why use SDM, when obviously it's not the only thing that's keeping her in news, is kinda silly, no...?
and i'll tell you what double standards is... people going gung ho over the most mediocre of hollywood stars and nitpicking everything about the indian actors, because it's tough to give the credit... brilliant acting is quite obviously not the criteria to measure one's success... there is no rocket science behind it, really...! πŸ˜›πŸ˜›
and it's a FACT that a lot ofdesis are the ones who are most critical of our own stars... ghar ki murghi daal baraabar hona and all that you see...!
and i've never condemned sonam/katrina/deepika, as you put it... my standards certainly do NOT change, because of my own convenience...

esp in freida's case its only indians(like versace) who are desparately trying to put her down.
Versace: You can't always blame all the consequences of an action on that specific action alone. Lot of factors are involved in what shapes up a person's career. If Freida had not played her cards right and had rejected every offer to be on red carpet and talk show interviews, she would not be around.You crediting Frieda's success to SDM alone is akin to someone crediting a student's success to only the professors' recommendation. A lot of factors are involved in getting into a good school/program etc, your professor's recommendation alone did not get you into the medical school, your grades, your MCAT scores, your medical experience all of that count. Likewise, if Freida did not have that X factor, she would be long gone despite SDM's success.

Likewise, I have a problem with people who credit Kareena's success to her Kapoor tag, Aishwarya's to her beauty queen title etc. We all get an initial boost somewhere, that definitely does not mean we owe all our success and failure to that start point alone. 

Edited by Dexterphile - 12 years ago
Easy_A thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: robfanatic

esp in freida's case its only indians(like versace) who are desparately trying to put her down.

Since when is criticizing someone equivalent to putting them down? If all you wanted was people to stream into this thread fanning Frieda's "achievements," you 
are better off in one of those fan clubs, not here. 

And who says that only Indians find her overrated? I have a whole lot of white friends who loved SDM but don't find Frieda all that. So there.
Edited by _VERSACE_ - 12 years ago
Easy_A thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Nuktaacheen

so the 'should be' or 'could be' kinda don't matter... what matters is 'what is'... and such things would come up when people don't tend to give credit where it's due...!

yet again, you can't look at the world through a bubble... well, you could, but that's your choice... everyone is free to choose their way... i would (and i don't care what others say) always look at the complete picture...  just how i am... not that i have ever cared about a stamp of approval on how i view the world so far, i certainly don't need that from unknown faces on the internet... πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

Oh absolutely. I don't jump into discussions to convince the other party that I'm right and they're wrong. It would be ridiculous on my part to expect someone to change the way they think by merely sharing a few thoughts in an online forum. I am definitely not looking for converts here. In fact, it's the difference in our opinions that stimulate the discussions here.

Apparently, your approach is starkly different from mine and I can accept as well as tolerate the difference.  But you are casting aspersions on my way of looking at things by saying that I look at the world through a bubble. I can give your viewpoint a name too if I wanted to but I won't because I understand that each person has his own personal perspective and choice and there's no right or wrong way of looking at things. 

and i believe all your earlier questions have been answered... πŸ˜›πŸ˜›  agree, disagree, doesn't matter... debating is only effective when the others actually LISTEN (in this case, READ and UNDERSTAND) what others are saying, otherwise it's useless to repeat the same points over and over again... asking repeatedly why use SDM, when obviously it's not the only thing that's keeping her in news, is kinda silly, no...?

and i'll tell you what double standards is... people going gung ho over the most mediocre of hollywood stars and nitpicking everything about the indian actors, because it's tough to give the credit... brilliant acting is quite obviously not the criteria to measure one's success... there is no rocket science behind it, really...!  πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

Since I don't keep tabs on Frieda's life, I wouldn't know what is still keeping her career intact. What I know of her work so far is her appearance in SDM which I found pretty average. It opened the doors to hollywood for her, which is understandable. But it's about time she gave something new to people to talk about. To people who don't care about celebrities beyond their movies. But yes, you're right, I do believe that Freida must be doing all the right things at the right places to still be on the limelight without contributing much in terms of acting. So it's not that I am denying her credit where it's due. 
Also, ideally speaking, if you've taken up acting as your career, your acting is supposed to prompt that hype, not something else. Of course, that's not to say that I support other actors who draw attention without acting. Just that since we're talking about Freida here, it's her who gets put on the chopping block, not someone else. 

and it's a FACT that a lot of desis are the ones who are most critical of our own stars... ghar ki murghi daal baraabar hona and all that you see...!

Oh, that was just an observation - the amount of flak Kat/Deep/Sonam receive here for their lack of acting skills. It wasn't directed at you in particular. 
Versace: lage raho...I seem to always agree with whatever you have to say...you have this knack of taking the words right from my mouthπŸ˜†

I liked Freida in Slumdog and I do enjoy the fact that she, an Indian woman, has made an effective impact in Hollywood but I hope that she sustains her fame beyond being the Slumdog wonder. And in order for her to do that, she has to do more films and let those films do the talking instead. I don't want her to disappear; she dresses superbly, she knows how to look glamorous, she's never really OTT in her actions, and she even has a bearable American "accent" πŸ˜†
Easy_A thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Dexterphile

Versace: You can't always blame all the consequences of an action on that specific action alone. Lot of factors are involved in what shapes up a person's career. If Freida had not played her cards right and had rejected every offer to be on red carpet and talk show interviews, she would not be around.You crediting Frieda's success to SDM alone is akin to someone crediting a student's success to only the professors' recommendation. A lot of factors are involved in getting into a good school/program etc, your professor's recommendation alone did not get you into the medical school, your grades, your MCAT scores, your medical experience all of that count. Likewise, if Freida did not have that X factor, she would be long gone despite SDM's success.

Likewise, I have a problem with people who credit Kareena's success to her Kapoor tag, Aishwarya's to her beauty queen title etc. We all get an initial boost somewhere, that definitely does not mean we owe all our success and failure to that start point alone. 

If you go over my earlier posts, that's kind of sort of what I am getting at too. If Frieda hasn't fizzled out, it's because she is playing her cards right. Her staying power in hollywood is a result of her appearances at red carpets, ads, interviews, etc. and not because of her acting in SDM. I agree that she's got something for still going strong, but for someone who doesn't care much about these celebrities beyond their movies, it only makes sense that I term her overrated, don't you think?
Easy_A thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: koolchick

Versace: lage raho...I seem to always agree with whatever you have to say...you have this knack of taking the words right from my mouthπŸ˜†

I liked Freida in Slumdog and I do enjoy the fact that she, an Indian woman, has made an effective impact in Hollywood but I hope that she sustains her fame beyond being the Slumdog wonder. And in order for her to do that, she has to do more films and let those films do the talking instead. I don't want her to disappear; she dresses superbly, she knows how to look glamorous, she's never really OTT in her actions, and she even has a bearable American "accent" πŸ˜†

Hey there, koolchick. =) Talk about being in the right place at the right time.πŸ˜† 
You tell'em, girl. That's exactly what I wanted to say - let your work do the talking whether you're Indian or Italian or French.πŸ˜†

@Versace: If you say so, but the only posts of yours I read here are those that credit all of Frieda's popularity to SDM. Which isn't exactly right and thats what I was refuting. So I don't understand why you'd say that was what you were getting at too. That's not the implication I got from your posts and obviously neither did the others, hence the argument. Anyway maybe I'm under the wrong impression here. To answer your question, you can call her overrated all you want. Nobody is arguing for or against that right of yours. I find Aishwarya extremely overrated too but I'd be the last person crediting all her success to her beauty queen status, modeling career and Salman's initial push. I don't believe in the sowing seed. Our consequences spring out from every curve we hit not just the initial phase of the drive.  Edited by Dexterphile - 12 years ago