Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo

Bride in waiting-- Ratan

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
'

Bride in waiting

Ratan Rajput a.k.a Laali, the simple village belle from Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo is all set to choose her life partner in Ratan KaRishta, the third season of Swayamvar, on Imagine. Dressed in a beige and red chaniya-choli embellished with red roses, the actor looks a far cry from her girl-next-door image. In a freewheeling chat with Screen, she talks about her humble background and finding the man of her dreams

Are you excited about having your swayamvar on the small screen?

I'm very happy but a little nervous, since I'm taking the most important decision of my life. Like every girl, even I have had dreams about my marriage. I'm ecstatic that I'm living those dreams now.

You are rich and famous. But what are the qualities that would prompt a man to marry you?

I've got good morals, values and I'm fairly rooted. The most important factor is that I'm willing to get married and I'm ready for any kind of adjustment.

In Rakhi Ka Swayamvar, there were some contestants who are now seen on the small screen as actors. So do you think there might be some people who are showing an interest in you as a shortcut to success?

I don't want to suspect the contestants and think that they want to get married to me to be in the limelight. I feel if I start suspecting them, then I won't be able to converse with them. I have to be open-minded.

Is it mind over matter for you while selecting the candidates?

I go by my intuition. I want to know each one of them better through meetings and discussions.

Have your parents given you any kind of advice?

They have advised me to express my views openly and asked me not to hide my flaws. They told me categorically, 'You are getting married for yourself and not for society. So think about yourself while taking the decision.'

How much do looks matter to you? And how important is it for a man to be rich?

For me, what matters the most is a person's nature. Looks are temporary. One doesn't have to wait for old age to lose his looks. He can also lose it due to an accident. But a person's nature stays forever. Money is important but it's the not the be-all and end-all of life. I don't want to run behind money but I would love to live a comfortable life.

What kind of a life-partner do you want?

I want someone who is definitely more understanding than me and accepts me the way I am and even tolerates my childishness.

What is the one quality that you like about men and what do you hate about them the most?

I like honest people with whom what you see is what you get. I hate pretentious people.

Have you watched the earlier two seasons of Swayamvar?

No, I haven't watched them.

Rakhi Sawant and Rahul Mahajan, who were a part of the earlier two seasons of Swayamvar, are flamboyant personalities. But you have an image of a docile girl-next- door. So what prompted you to take such a significant personal decision on a public platform?

See, I'm an ordinary middle-class girl. When the channel authorities approached me, my first reaction was, 'Am I worth it?' But later I thought a lot and realised that this was a good platform to set an example. I want to give out the message that if a girl like me, who is not beautiful, not rich, quite ordinary, so to speak, can have her swayamvar, then anyone can. I wanted people to have a positive attitude about swayamvar. Since I'll be taking this personal decision on a show that will be seen by millions, everything will be out in the open. There will be complete transparency and no one will get a chance to complain or raise an objection. Moreover, personally this show will help me grow. Till today, I have always been dependent on my family to take decisions. But for the first time I'll be taking the most important decision of my life independently.

Can you tell a little bit about your background?

I come from a middle-class family based in Patna. My father was a government servant. I'm the youngest child of my parents. I have studied till class seven and done my matriculation privately.

Did you always dream about being an actress?

Not at all. Surprisingly, I have never planned anything in my life and it might sound strange but I was always clear about what I didn't want to do in my life.

So how did you end up being in this glamour world?

My sister was going to Delhi, so I decided to accompany her. I was fond of dance, so I learnt Kathak but I left it within three months. Then I started watching theatre. Surendra Sharma, a renowned theatre actor in the capital, asked me, 'Will you act?' And I told him smugly, 'Karvaaoge to karoongi!' I started doing a lot of plays and just when I was at the peak of my career, I decided to give it all up. Everyone told me that I was mad to leave my thriving career, but I was in no mood to listen. I was tired of staying alone in Delhi and wanted to move back home. But I thought before that, I will come to Mumbai with my three friends and see the city.

Go on.

I used to enjoy watching Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin and wanted to meet the producers- Deeya and Tony Singh. You won't believe that they saw a pilot which I had done with Lekh Tandon in Delhi for Doordarshan. And I got to do a cameo in Radha Ki Betiyaan Kuch Kar Dikhayengi.After that, I got a chance in Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo and my life has never been the same again.

Don't you think you are too young to get married. You still have a long way to go in your career.

No, I don't think so. I'm prepared for family responsibilities, I want to start new relationships and I'm looking for a supportive person as a life partner for whom I would want to change.

As a child, did you ever think about your dream man?

Shaadi ka bhoot to mujh par class seven se savaar tha. My grandfather was tall and wore glasses. I was very fond of him. I would think that guys who wore glasses were very intelligent. So that time I ended up liking tall, lanky, geeky guys.

With success and fame, have you changed as a person?

No, I haven't and I don't want to. I firmly believe that clothes can change, things around you might change but as a person you shouldn't change. I can never forget my roots and I don't want to change my rawness.

[email protected]

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters