The girl next door - Ch 103 - pg 108; note pg 109 - Page 2

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 12 years ago
Aarya - Is it possible to understand girls? I think you know better ;) Of course there is a lot more to her...she is the main lead :)

LBQ - Thanks for gracing the thread. Guess what...you can decide where to comment...choice is completely yours :) (Did I make your life easier? :P)

HoneyLimeUsha - thanks. The inital parts will be updated quickly because they have already been posted elsewhere. So you can enjoy fast updating for now :)

nanditasingh thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
HELLO!

Tum nai pukaara aur hum chalai ayai...

first thing first - I love U Dol...

second - I love seeing Pooja 'do mehnat'

third - Thank U for sharing this here...

fourth - hmmm...bhulgayi :(
Originally posted by: nanditasingh

HELLO!

Tum nai pukaara aur hum chalai ayai...

first thing first - I love U Dol...

second - I love seeing Pooja 'do mehnat'

third - Thank U for sharing this here...

fourth - hmmm...bhulgayi :(

I love you Nandu 🤗

Chapter 6

She woke up and looked at her watch which read 7:54 pm. She was out for a good hour and a half and wondered if she was still jet lagged. As she made to get out of her recliner, she saw the throw that was put on her and the small cushion that must have been placed to support her falling head. She freshened up and went into the living room where Simran was doing something on her laptop and Rohan was by her side. Both were looking into the screen and looked up and smiled when Keerti entered the room.

"Sorry I must have been out for quite some time. And thanks for putting the throw on me" she addressed Simran on that last statement.

"Actually I wa..."

"Can I please get some food now? This woman will starve me to death." Simran was cut off by Rohan who said that last bit rolling his eyes. He seemed very hungry. It looked like Simran for cooking something special for us all. She went back into the kitchen while Rohan and Keerti stayed in the living room to talk about her experience so far. Rohan was just being his flirting self and said something which made Keerti uncomfortably shy. She walked out of the room with an excuse to help Simran but she was already done and was already coming to the living room with the dishes. Rohan got up from the couch and tried to open the lid to see what it was when Simran hit him on the hand "Abhi nahi".

He narrowed his brows and went back to the couch to get busy on the internet again. He wondered if he went overboard with Keerti for she had not come back into the room again. I will have to be careful with this piece of the female species. She didn't seem at all from Mumbai where girls were very...very forward. This woman was shy, reserved and very traditional for that matter.

Simran and Keerti came back into the room with the remaining dishes and in all her dramatic glory Simran gestured to the dishes and said "Khana taiyaar hai huzur. Ibtida kijiye." Rohan lifted all the lids and was surprised to see the feast she had prepared today - dal makhani, peas pulao, paaneer tikka, raita, chickpea salad, aloo tikka and papad. Wow, given the time she was in the kitchen, he was impressed with her speed of cooking.

"Aaj kuch special hai kya? Keerti asked and Rohan responded without a beat "Haan aaj main jo aaya hoon khane pe." He bent towards Simran in a playful manner and added "Aaj Simran ne mujhe khane pe bulaya hai." with a wink in the end. She pushed at his chest and said "Ji nahi. Aaj mera..."

Keerti awed at their comfort level. They were so much at ease when in each others company. She didn't think she would ever be able to get so comfortable with anyone without any feelings. Or did Simran already have feelings for him? She couldn't tell.

"Birthday hai?" Keerti said in a surprised tone and she simply nodded in response.

Rohan looked at the watch suddenly and said "Oh shoot! I have a meeting I totally forgot about. I have to run. Sorry Simi...happy birthday" he said giving her a hug and hopped out of their apartment.

"He's so weird...and always all over the place."

"That's Rohan for us. Never mind him. Let us enjoy the food. Maine bohot mehnat se banaya hai."

"Sorry Simran. I didn't know it is your birthday. You had to treat your own self by cooking and I was sleeping away to glory. I'm so sorry. I promise to make it up in the days to come. " guilt was oozing out of her eyes. She hugged her and wished her 'Happy Birthday' before starting dinner.

They watched an episode of Friends while dining and cleared up the living room and kitchen once dinner was over. They still had so much food left and Keerti couldn't help notice the sad look on Simran's face. She didn't know if it was from being away from her family, or something else. They went back into the living room to watch another episode. She was glad at least a show made her laugh from time to time on her otherwise dry day.

The bell rang and both looked at the watch. It was close to 11:30 pm and they wondered who it would be at that time of the night. "Rohan hi hoga. Ab use bhook lagi hogi. But I don't have any food for him. Let him go and eat outside." she said with irritation in her voice. This was the first time Keerti noticed her so irritable. As she got up to open the door, Simran stopped her and said "No wait. Let me handle him. You are too nice and too soft."

She opened the door but no one was there. She got even more irritated and bang the door shut behind her. Once again the bell rang and she went to open it. Again she couldn't see anyone. "Stop messing with me Rohan" she shouted and again banged the door. Keerti was behind her now, worried about who would be playing such a stupid game at night. The bell rang again and this time Simran stepped on the porch to see if she could spot anyone. It was then that she noticed the piece of paper on the porch. All it had on it was an arrow. As she looked in that direction, she saw there was a trail of such arrows directing her to some place. Both girls locked their apartment and walked in that direction. They were not overly scared to walk out at that time of the night for the area was still patrolled by BU security. The trail directed them to the park on campus with a huge lawn which was lined by trees on both side. There they saw a group of people standing with their backs towards them. With a little nervousness they moved towards the group.

As they got to the group, the people blocking their view cleared way for them to see Rohan stand behind a small table which had a cake lit with candles. Everyone screamed "Surprise! Happy Birthday Simran" which literally shocked her. She couldn't move because she had not expected that from him, or from anyone for that matter. Keerti gave Simran a nudge and she ran to hug Rohan. It was the sweetest sight for Keerti. And seeing Rohan care so much for her, she wondered if he was the same to all other girls. She couldn't help wonder what it would be like to be at the receiving end of such a beautiful surprise. Just then, Rohan looked in her direction and she looked away. Embarrassment took over her again for being caught for staring at them.

The people standing there were all her classmates and friends. She cut the cake and fed everyone a piece. As she came towards Keerti, she looked up back at him again and saw that he was still looking in her direction. Was he looking at me or was he following Simran? She couldn't tell.

After everybody dispersed, Rohan walked them home and after bidding them good night and wishing her again, he turned to leave. Simran tugged at his hand to make him turn and hugged him while breaking into a sob. This got Keerti and Rohan both worried and they tried to comfort her. "No one has ever celebrated my birthday like this in years...ever since..." she trailed off and could not continue. He held her tighter and assured her "I'll always be there for you Simran, don't worry". He gestured Keerti to take her inside and walked back to his apartment.

Keerti put her to bed and stayed by her till she fell asleep. She didn't know anything about Simran or anything about her family. Was she not in good terms with them? Did they not love her? Did she even miss them? She had never seen her talk to her parents and wondered about the mystery. But one thing for sure, she loved the attention she would get and appreciated every bit of affection showered on her. Keerti resolved to get to the bottom of this - someday. They were not there yet...for her to ask her upfront what was wrong. But she would see to it that she would give all her affections and attention to her, when she needed it.

She went back into her room and back to her recliner to continue reading The Alchemist where she left off. She picked up the throw to cover herself and for a brief moment, the sight of Rohan staring at her flashed by. It was a strange feeling and she just brushed it aside to go back to her reading and once again fell asleep in that comfy position.

Chapter 7

The next few days flew by like wind and she didn't even realize it was her first day of class. She spent these days going around the city and reading books. She kept to herself most of the time since Simran was constantly in Rohan's company she strangely felt awkward with him around. The sight of him staring at her often came to haunt her but she didn't know what to make of it. Not that he scared her or anything, but she was definitely not herself and he didn't pursue her either for which she was very grateful. He occasionally brought up small talk when the three of them were together but it was not something like before. What had changed? Why were we distancing ourselves? I liked him a lot and enjoyed his company. But what brought on this awkwardness between them was a mystery to her.

Two days ago, she had gone for a walk to check out the stores when her eyes fell on a gift shop. She walked in hoping to find something appropriate to gift Simran for her belated birthday. She picked up a huge teddy bear and instantly fell in love with it. It was white as snow adorned with pink bow around the head and neck. She was almost ready to get this when her eyes fell on a small glass showpiece with a girl on a swing with feet off the ground as if ready to fly. She wasn't sure if this would dig into her wounds that she very well hid from everybody else...but Rohan seemed to know? With the time she spent with him and the attention she received from him, she wondered if Rohan knew about her history. For a moment she wished Rohan was there to help her out to decide which one to get and the next moment she brushed it aside. Why was she thinking about him when the gift was for Simran? It was as if Babaji had listened to her because just then, Rohan walked into the shop and went to the cards section. He didn't notice her which was kind of odd given the fact that she stood a little away, but in his way to the cards section. Was he avoiding her? She argued whether to seek his help or not but decided to go to him for the gift was for Simran.

"Hey" she called out to him softly when she got near him.

"Hey hi!!! Tum yahan?"

"Actually I just went on a stroll when I saw this shop and realized I still have to get Simran her birthday present. And now I'm confused between two that I chose. I was wondering if you can help me with..."

"When did you become so formal with me?" he couldn't hold back from asking. He was a bit hurt that things had taken this shape but there was nothing he could do. She was a fragile piece and he just didn't know how to be around her with his usual self without making her feel uncomfortable or putting her on a spot. She was very unlike the other girl friends he had and so he maintained some distance. But he certainly didn't expect things to become so formal and awkward between them. 

"Nahin. Actually I didn't know...I don't like to disturb...actually I didn't want to.." she couldn't make up her mind to answer him and he kept looking into her eyes to seek his answer. She was again becoming uncomfortable and so he decided to relieve her and asked "which ones have you chosen?"

She showed him the teddy bear and the glass crystal and very much to her expectation he picked the teddy bear. "She will like this I'm sure. " he said.

She thanked him and made way to the checkout counter. She looked back in his direction to see if he was going to accompany her home but he was busy looking at something. She found it really odd that he didn't offer to walk her home, that was very unlike him. Did she miss being in his company? Or did she just expect him to help her when in need? She couldn't really put her finger on what exactly she felt. And just like that, she pondered away her way back to the apartment.

And today, on her first day of class, she stepped into the library to kill time before she got to class. And there she saw him approach her. She was relieved and nervous at the same time. She didn't know to be happy that he was finally walking to her or apprehensive about why he seeked her out. But the way it looked, he was waiting for her, or Simran, or anyone to come into the library.

"I was playing soccer and sprained my hand. Do you have an ointment on you? " he said in a voice that tried to hide his pain but in vain. She took his hand in hers and looked closely. It was beginning to swell. She looked at her watch and then asked him to come along. As they were exiting the library, they met with Simran who shouted at him "Kabhi apna khayal nahi rakhta. Is ladke ka kya hoga? Don't worry Kits, I'll take him home and bandage him. I have a scrap bandage that he could use."

Kits was a name she had coined for Keerti to match with Sims for hers. Keerti was a bit sad that Simran took him away and as she looked at them walking away, he turned back to look at her. He didn't know why he did that, but he wanted to see if Keerti also wanted the same thing he wanted - for her to bandage him. This was a good chance for things to get better between them and having missed it, they both looked pained. And now she was sure, his pained face will keep distracting her in her first class.
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
--There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure. Alchemist... excellent choice for reading!

Ch-7: This is where the wind changes the direction, do I sense 'feelings' are coming into the light!
😉
Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by: night13

--There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure. Alchemist... excellent choice for reading!

Ch-7: This is where the wind changes the direction, do I sense 'feelings' are coming into the light!
😉

That's one of the very few books I've read. And indeed it is an excellent read.

What is darkness? It's merely the absence of light ;)

Chapter 8

She came back home and threw her bag on her bed. She had never been this angry before. And to top it off, she heard laughter come from Simran's room. She didn't want to spoil anyone's mood so she just quietly went into the kitchen and made some iced tea for herself. She needed some cooling! As it is, it was very hot these days. But Babaji had other plans for her. Rohan came into the kitchen to fetch a glass of water and saw Keerti look down with her eyes closed, leaning forward on the countertop with her hands. He wanted to make sure she was ok but resisted considering the awkwardness the last couple weeks. She was a week into her classes and her job at the cafe. He simply went back into Simran's room without disturbing her. Laughter again came from her room and Keerti squeezed her eyes tight and let out an irritated hiss.

After a while, Simran came into the kitchen and she was still in that position. Simran put a hand on her shoulder and asked with concern in her voice "What's wrong Kits? Is everything alright?"

She turned to look at her and just as she was about to answer, she saw Rohan enter the kitchen behind her. She stopped and simply said "I'm just tired."

"Chalo koi nahi. You need some relaxing. Rohan has just brought some movie DVDs and we were thinking of putting on Munna bhai MBBS. I'm sure it will cheer you up too." she said with such a sweet smile and Keerti didn't just have in her to say no to Simran. Keerti went ahead to freshen up while Simran popped some corn.

Rohan was already sitting on the couch with Simran's laptop when both Simran and Keerti walked in. Why does he always have to use her laptop? Can't he bring his own? She reminded herself to mind her own business and stopped being pokey in other's affairs. Keerti went ahead to close the blinds and curtains to prevent any light from coming in and turned on the air condition. When she turned to sit, she saw Simran sitting close to Rohan and she aarghed in her head. What is wrong with me today? Why am I being so bothered by little things? She didn't have any answers and thought best to push them away and enjoy the movie.

They were laughing at every scene. The movie was indeed funny, but not today. What was wrong? Why am I so irritable? Rohan and Simran both put their hands into the tub to get popcorn and she screamed as he pinched her. Okay now I have a problem with this too? Why can't I just shut my mind and watch the movie. Just ignore them - she told herself. And with that, she leaned back on the couch to hit...his hand? He has his hand around her on the couch? What was left for Simran to lean on his shoulder. If that's what they want to do then why am I being a kabab mein haddi? I should just leave them alone. She heard another scream from Simran when he pulled her hair from the back and suddenly she felt suffocated despite the air condition and decided she had to get out to get some fresh air.

"I'll be right back" she told them as she got up. When she reached her room she heard another round of laughter from the living room and she had the strongest urge to pull out all of Simran's hairs. Geez what is wrong with me? Simran put up the movie to cheer me up and I'm thinking this of her? It must be the hormones, or maybe I'm just having a bad day. First the argument with the customer at the cafe and now this? I'm clearly in for some trouble today. She quickly changed into her sweat pants and a tee, brushed her hair into a high ponytail and picked up her ipod to walk out the room. She peeped into the living room to tell them she was going for a run. She needed air to breathe and perhaps do some clear thinking too. "But it is going to rain very soon. Please stay here with us." Rohan requested and her heart ached. She didn't have it in her to stay and face such ugly thoughts as she had a few moments ago.

"I'll be back soon, I promise" and before anyone else could say another word, she was out the door. She ran, and she ran far and fast. She had to de-stress herself. She didn't know why she was being bothered so much by their friendship..or what is more than that? She didn't know for sure. After about half hour and after she had cleared her mind by urging it to concentrate on her studies, when she got back to her building, she felt a few drops on her face. She waited a beat and without doubt it started pouring. She took this time to wash away all ill thoughts with rain. She brought her hands up on either side of her to feel the rain drops fall on her palm and surprisingly she felt better already. She started moving about herself still holding her hands up in the air when she saw him watching her. He was standing on the porch leaning against the rail wearing the sweetest smile. At first she wanted to just ignore him and walk past him but seeing him smile like this, she couldn't help the smile that came onto her face and she felt like a kid for getting wet in the rain. Clearly, simple things like rain do give you some pleasure.

Chapter 9

Once when Keerti was working the last shift at the Cafe to accommodate another colleague's change of plans, Rohan walked in for a coffee. Seeing her working till the last hour surprised him. He knew of her timings at the Cafe and avoided going in when he knew she would be around. He ordered his coffee and went all the way in the back to his usual corner where no one would see him. That was his place at that hour and everyone at BU knew about it. They continued to steal glances from each other without making it obvious but there was a sense of awareness that the other was watching. And then a girl walked into the Cafe and straight to him. She called herself his "best friend" and wherever she went, she would make sure every girl was aware of that fact. Rohan's Naina,  she called herself. But she was unaware that everybody knew Rohan didn't give a sh*t about her. At times she would throw herself at him and he would just walk away. Everyone else knew she was only wasting her time but she refused to accept any of it. A spoilt brat that she was, she didn't care about her studies and kept following him and disturbing him wherever he went. And lately she had been very annoyed with him for the little time he spent outside of Simran and Keerti's apartment which gave her less access to him.

She went and sat on the chair next to his, crossed her legs in his direction and placed her hand on his thighs. Normally he would have just gotten up and walked away with her following him but something stopped him. He let her do what she did and just looked in a certain direction. Seeing Naina hurl her body over Rohan's and his non-resistance made Keerti go ballistic. She wondered why he didn't stop her. He didn't look in her direction and for that she was thankful because her face clearly reflected what she felt.

Keerti and Rohan were becoming more comfortable around each other after the rain incident but they still spoke very little to one another. Things had just settled in when this event stirred a series of emotions in Keerti - from anger to jealousy to disgust. Thankfully it was time to close the Cafe and he made an exit bidding her good night and acting all normal as if nothing had happened. She didn't acknowledge it and continued to clear up. She was banging things around and she didn't even know why she was going through such strong emotions. Not that she had any romantic feelings for him, but things didn't seem normal either. And after that night, she decided never to work at that hour again.

Things continued to be strained between them after that. But everything changed at the night of the Freshers Party. The Indian community at BU had organized a freshers party to welcome the fresh faces. It was at a club they had reserved, not too far from the campus. Rohan came to pick up Keerti and Simran and waited downstairs for them. He knew if he went upstairs to their apartment, they will take their own sweet time. Why did girls take so much time to dress up? And then his answer came right down for he thought an angel had come down from heaven. To dress up like that would probably take ages, he thought. Simran was wearing a black evening dress that came down to her knees. It fitted her well and had a single strap on her left shoulder. Her hair partly covered the naked one. She wore high heels and carried a small purse that went well with her attire. She looked beautiful with the make up she had put on. In his usual flirty self, he said "Hayee aaj toh koi marne wala hai" and acted to fall as soon as she came close to him but she held in in time from falling and hit him hard on his shoulder.

They waited for Keerti to come down and his jaw dropped when he saw her from top to bottom. Her hair was bouncy but straight for the most part, parted in the middle with a smooth texture he had not seen before. A few strands in the front ended on her shoulders and the rest in the back bounced into light curls. She wore a red and black dress that covered both her shoulders and came down to her knees with a belt resting just below her breasts enhancing her curves on top and on the bottom of it, with layered flairs from her waist below. Unlike Simran, she chose to wear flats which went well with her dress and was perfect given her height. To say she looked gorgeous would have been an understatement. He politely told her she looked good and she thanked him. He was never able to be himself when she was around.

When they entered the club, he was suddenly surrounded by his friends which made Simran and Keerti walk away to another corner to greet their friends. He was a real charmer. Everyone at BU would love to be in his company, be it a girl or a boy. As he was talking to his friends she noticed he was wearing a shirt with a maroon base that had very thin shiny black stripes on it, a black silk tie and black trousers. She couldn't help notice his fair complexion against his dark attire. Despite his spectacles, he looked handsome. She saw Naina again come close to him and her mood changed. She continued to eye them and then...he looked right at her. Perhaps he knew she was watching him. But unlike the other times he had caught her looking at him, she didn't break away. She continued to hold his gaze. She didn't know how long she had been staring at him because Simran elbowed her to bring her out of her reverie. She looked away and didn't dare to look back in his direction for the rest of the night.

Chapter 10

An hour went by and she didn't see him anywhere. Where had he disappeared to? And she thought she won't dare to look in his direction. But whom was she kidding? Music started and she knew it was a song she had heard before but she couldn't really recognize it.

And then a voice over the mic started with the song "Aaa aaa...Aaa aaa..." which seemed to come from a distance. In the music that followed, the 3 spot lights kept moving through the audience.

"Jogi nach le..."
and all three spot lights simultaneously came to a stop at someone's feet and moved up to show his face. He had loosened his tie and opened his first button and looked extremely gorgeous. His posture was leaning back with his one hand coming up to his side as he sang while his other hand held the mic. And his eyes were closed as if singing from heart.

"Rang rach de..." he opened his eyes and turned to his right with his left hand stretched out. By this time the entire crowd had gathered to where he was standing.

"Jogi nachle...rang rachde..." he sang while he swayed.

Naina came by his side and continued

"Lehra ke balkha ke tu, duniya bhula ke naach

Dhun koi gungunaale, gaale tu gaake naach
  Rangeeniyon mein kho ja, peeke peelake naach
  Mad bhare naino se tu, naina mila ke naach"

He was still holding the mic while Naina sang and instantly threw it to the DJ to pull Simran into the dance as the beat started.

Uff teri adaa, I like the way you move
Uff tera badan, I like to see you groove
Uff teri nazar, It says I wanna dance with you

Everyone joined in with their own partners. He was the only one to dance with two girls, for Naina would refuse to leave his side.

He did dramatic steps typical of Shahrukh Khan with his hands in the air and bending forward to his side to lean on Simran and then to his other side to lean on Naina.

Sun le sahibaa aannn ..
Tu hai ik nasha aaa aaa aa..
Hosh hain mera aaa aaa..
Saara kho gaya aaa. aaa… ..

Both girls had their one leg brought up to his front while falling back on their back while he held them by their waists.

Hosh gawaanewale, hosh gawa ke naach
Paas toh aane wale, paas tu aake naach

With Naina moving towards his back and Simran to his front, they both snaked their hands along his front and back respectively as the lyrics played...

Dil mein hai armaan jitne, saare jaga ke naach
Tann mein badan mein jaise aag lagaa ke naach

Seeing Simran not leave Rohan's side despite her best efforts, Naina was put off and she stomped out of the dance floor.

The floor was filled with crazy dancers now. Everyone moved with the beat and jumped when the main verse played again and again.

And with this he took the mic again and sang along with spotlights back at him now but his eyes were closed.

"Aaa aaa aaa..."

He opened his eyes right in her direction as if he knew where she was standing. She had been admiring him and also feeling jealous. And she looked away when he started singing again...

"Dekh ke bhi nahi ho yakeen

Itni kyun hai bata tu haseen
 Tere husn se zindagi haseen
 Tere husn ke aagey koi haseena kuch bhi nahi"

She looked back at him and he was still looking at her. Simran didn't have it in her to sing like Naina. She always thought she had a bad voice and so she just threw the mic back at the DJ and while the lyrics played, they both stood face to face with each other. Entwining both their hands on their side, they stretched it out to bring them to their side and in front of them.

Aankhon mein mere saare sapne sajaa ke naach
Mujhko tu dil mein rakh le, dil ko dhadkake naach
Pyaar agar hai mujhse, pyaar jataa ke naach
Jaan o dil jo hai teri, mujhpe luta ke naach

Even with these steps, he continued to look at her. As the beats picked up again, they swayed their knees joined together in the opposite direction and brought it back in the middle. And then continued with it the opposite direction. And he was still looking at her. Just then Gaurav, her classmate who was quickly becoming a friend, pulled her onto the dance floor and she gave in, in an attempt to get back at him.

And then he mouthed the last verse with a piercing look as if to sing to her.

Uff teri nazar, It says I wanna dance with you...

She was feeling suffocated and out of breath with his intense gaze and so she just walked out of the club when the song stopped and everyone surrounded Simran and Rohan to congratulate them on their great performance.