Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Sookie- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Interesting, I'd never heard of the other Sookie before. Now I have another movie to add to my Netflix queue. 😊

Well the movie did get good critical response given how it borrows few themes from Catcher in the Rye.

And "Hit Girl" as your profile pic? Waaah!
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: -Sookie-

Well the movie did get good critical response given how it borrows few themes from Catcher in the Rye.

And "Hit Girl" as your profile pic? Waaah!

I checked it out on IMDB and it has just the kind of off beat dark humor I like.

Yes, ever since Kick-Ass, Hit-Girl is my favorite character in fiction history.

No, 'true originality', in the absolute sense, doesn't exist - it never did either (except maybe the first couple of stories and cave-paintings, whether or not those had been lost through the passage of time). No matter how novel or original the concept of a work of art may seem, it definitely shares at the very least another work that it is similar to - I can guarantee that. But that doesn't mean authors or musicians or any kind of artists are intentionally plagiarizing or consciously ripping off other people's work. However, at times, the similarities are way too strong for me to actually consider them a matter of coincidence.

Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 12 years ago
The strong similarities in our IDS and Avatars here on IF are good examples 😉 ðŸ˜†
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Did the true meaning of plagiarism lost...

There is a difference between copying and borrowing someones work vs stealing and passing off as one's own, that too with out crediting the source.

As the academic attempt to teach new writers to avoid plagiarism  (ref: Purde!)

'Develop a topic based on what has already been said and written' BUT 'Write something new and original'

'Rely on experts' and authorities' opinions' BUT 'Improve upon and/or disagree with those same opinions'

'Give credit to previous researchers' BUT 'Make your own significant contribution'

'Improve your English to fit into a discourse community by building upon what you hear and read' BUT  'Use your own words and your own voice'

@Copyright is the solution to save my soul. :)
Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Sookie-

Fooled by Randomness Night? ðŸ˜Š I cannot help but go back to that book again :-)

- If I get an idea to write a story by looking at a couple arguing at a ticket counter am I plagiarizing their existence?
- If I get an idea while swimming and wondering why its even a sport since its literally like coming close to death and writing about it, then am I plagiarizing the sport itself?
- If I use idioms in my story then am I plagiarizing English language itself?
- If I use "How are you?" in my story, then am I plagiarizing about a billion books and movies?

Since I have inherited genes from my ancestors, I am plagiarized too.

Come on.

Fooled by Randomness! Am I ready to believe in my comparative fate? :)

If you are cheating, stealing with the intention and motive of a 'fraud', then yes you are plagiarized too! 😆 There is a fine line between deliberate vs accidental. 
Thus taking something from someone and making it worse is plagiarism. ðŸ˜†

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I took a political science course in American Political Thought this last semester - I absolutely hated the class because I am not at all used to making Bs on papers in any of my classes. However, being a science major, this class was very different for my taste. Our professor claimed at the beginning of the semester that an A paper would consist of an original and innovative idea - something he did not think of or read anywhere before. My immediate thought was what the hell!?! I hate it when professors say things like that - here you are with a PhD and years and years of experience and here I am- a biology major who has never before taken a political science course - forced to read Jefferson, Lincoln, Hamilton, Madison etc. and come up with some new interpretation of their writing!

I consistently made B+ on my papers throughout the semester. His comments said good but nothing that stood out as totally original. Now, to get back to the topic - there are only so many obvious ways that these men's writings can be interpreted - scholars have done it for years and years now and it's highly unlikely that someone will automatically come up with an altogether new and original interpretation. So does that mean that people should stop reading and interpreting these writings? (I wanted to shoot myself through most of this class, so my answer would definitely be a yes.) However, the more appropriate answer would be that  no, people should not stop reading/interpreting these ideas. The reason is that when you read the writings then you read the interpretations that people have already made, there is always a chance that you will put 2 and 2 together to come up with something new. Should you credit these people before you since your new concept/idea was based on their writings and research? Absolutely! But by contributing this new idea, you have added to the vast pool of knowledge that exists in that discipline.

Not just political science, but even science has worked the same way. People have read other people's work and research and they have decided to either expand upon it or they have noticed a component that the original researcher failed to notice and decided to work on that. Expanding knowledge requires studying and understanding prior knowledge. If we all started from zero, what would be the point of all this research and studying? The whole point here is to utilize the work of people before us (by giving them credit of course) and then to expand upon that in order to perhaps add another ounce of knowledge to this vast pool. And that is why learning never ends - it is an ongoing process that will last a very, very long time.

For what it's worth, I did manage to make an A on my last paper on Lincoln in that class. My professor wrote on there that I had discussed two very new and original concepts in that paper that he liked very much. So I got my A! Moral of the story - I do much MUCH better when I B.S. my way through assignments. I only put in 3-4 hours of work on that paper while the others I spent days on and only managed to get B+s. Unfortunately, my average in the class was a B+, hence all the bitterness. 😆

Editing to add: Plagiarism is BAD BAD BAD! Do not take other people's work without giving them credit for it. The only way you can pay a writer or artist, etc is by giving him credit for his work. Don't take that away from him. If you didn't come up with that idea, just cite it and provide the source. It will take a few extra minutes of your time, but it will mean a lot to the person you are giving credit.  Especially students - you will get in a whole lot of trouble for plagiarizing, and it's not worth your career. And if you don't think they will catch you, I promise you they will!
Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 12 years ago
monar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: zorrro

The strong similarities in our IDS and Avatars here on IF are good examples 😉 ðŸ˜†

lol than I am quite original aint i 😆
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

I took a political science course in American Political Thought this last semester -

From biological science to political! 😲 That was brave WA. 😛