PR Reloaded- II (FF) Note on pg. 76- do read! - Page 30

Posted: 12 years ago

PART 75

Subpart 1

The preparations were done. The last minute checking had been done. The decorations were in place. And  the excitement had now spread to every house.

After all, it was no joke. Ganpati Bappa had come home!!!

Still in the kitchen, preparing the last batch of modaks, Archana wondered about the next day- her first Ganesh Chaturthi in her husband's house (and officially her 5th day in the house ever since she had come back). She hoped fervently for everything to go well, she didn't want unnecessary fights on a festive occasion.

She was lost in her thoughts when she suddenly became aware of Savita Aai entering the kitchen. Giving her a snide look, Aai walked to the little temple in the corner of the kitchen, and started with her pooja. Archana looked at her watch. It was time for her to do the pooja too, so that she could break her Hartalika fast later at night. Like all married Maharashtrian women, she too had worn green clothes, green bangles and fasted the whole day. After all, the festival of Hartalika- devoted to Goddess Parvati, who did severe penance for Lord Shiva, whom she loved, and finally won him over- is an important one for all married women who pray for marital bliss on this day. Keeping in mind that her own married life was far from bliss at the moment, and her husband and love had lost faith in her, it was important for her to seek some help from the Gods as well- thought Archana wistfully.

She went and freshened up while Savita continued with the pooja. As she finished, Archana stopped her, with the intention of saying something to her that she had not said the whole day, since she did not want Aai to create another ruckus after their encounter in the morning (when Aai had ended up clawing her). But somehow she really needed to speak now.

"Aai.."

Savita looked up but did not say anything.

"I wanted to talk to you.."

"I don't." said Savita flatly.

"Aai actually.." Archana tried to be firm. "I want my mangalsutra.."

Savita narrowed her eyes. "What mangalsutra..?"

"You had snatched it from me when I came to the chawl to meet Manav on the day of the court hearing." Archana reminded, knowing very well that Savita did not need any reminder. "I want it now. It has been lying with you all these days and.."

"Enough enough.." said Savita irritatedly. "I don't have it."

"But you took it.."

"Yes, I took it but now I don't have it." Said Savita flatly. "I SOLD it."

Archana was shocked. "You sold it!" she exclaimed. "How could you sell my mangalsutra?"

"Why not?" said Savita giving her a dry look. "Was I supposed to wait till eternity for the day my darling daughter in law comes back in my house, so that I would give it to her? We needed money, so I sold it.."

"You could have sold the necklace my Aai gave you earlier as dowry.." persisted Archana, on the verge of tears. "Why did you sell my mangalsutra?"

"How do you know I've not sold your necklace?" asked Savita sharply. "Have you been stalking me, or did you open the locker?" (part 71)

Archana gulped. She didn't know what to say now. She stood mum.

"Shameless girl!" shouted Savita angrily. "First plonks herself in this house and then is stalking me to see what I have in my locker! Listen, you are not going to get anything. Get lost!"

"But my Mangalsutra!" protested Archana. "It's a holy thing, not meant to be played around with! Give it to me now.I have kept the fast for YOUR son only."

"Go to your NGO and ask them to retrieve it for you!" said Savita meanly and laughed to herself. "You girl, have caused me enough trouble. I should get something at least for having endured you till date, shouldn't I?"  

And she walked away.

Fury crept to Archana's mind. She knew Aai was doing all this to take out her spite on her. Who the hell cares about her anyway- she thought angrily. God is watching from above and understands my condition- she thought to herself. If she could stay without a mangalsutra for the whole day, she could do the pooja without one too, and get a new one made for herself later. What difference did it make- she thought bitterly in frustration, but the thought only ended up making her feel more sad. It did make a difference, she thought. She could see Aai smirking at her from the door, and she tried to ignore it.

Savita Aai went away later, and Archana sat down to do the pooja, when she noticed that Savita Aai had used up all the special green leaves (Bel Patta) that are meant to be offered. She sighed and got up to gather some more leaves from the back of the chawl, where she had collected them earlier in the day. She walked down and could see last minute preparations being done for the next day, Ganesh Chaturthi. Manav himself was helping out with the pandal work.

As she plucked the leaves, her mind went over the story behind doing the fast and the pooja. Goddess Parvati had done penance to please Lord Shiva. And here, she was doing one to please Manav! Except that her penance was to deal with the baggage called Savita Aai, since Manav wasn't keen to separate from the house. She reflected on her conversation with Manav while returning from the market a little while ago, when she had said that she would handle Aai by herself. She remembered how worried he had been thinking that she would keep compromising just to live with him. "You can't handle Aai alone." -He had said. There was an ounce of truth in his words, she couldn't deny that. Aai was a person whom no one could handle alone. So far, Aai had been comparatively less harsh and abusive ever since Manav had found out everything about her. Archana too, had tried to face Aai on her own, confronting her clearly and logically and protesting against Aai's words or decisions, rather than totally depending on Manav to handle the situation. She was quite satisfied with the way she had been handling Aai ever since she had come into the house- tactically at first, then slowly doing what she felt right even if Aai told otherwise, then moving on to trying to reason out with Aai instead of opposing her behind her back, and finally- protesting when she said something bad about her parents- like she had done today morning.

But it had not had any major impact on Aai, she thought. The frank truth was that Aai was still troubling her, and would still continue to do so unless she took a strong stand against the way Aai behaved with her. If she did not, Aai would just get emboldened. And that would be good for no one- not for her, not for Manav, not for her parents, who were so worried for her, and not even for Aai- who was under vigilance after the complaint. She remembered what she had promised to herself when she had come back- that she had not come back to suffer or be unhappy. She couldn't let Aai dictate her life all the time.

It was with these thoughts in mind that Archana walked back home. She kept the leaves in the kitchen, and went to Aai's room. She went to the steel almirah in her room, and hoping that her confidence would not crumble down midway, she opened the almirah. She had earlier seen Aai keeping all the jewellery in the locker- her mangalsutra must be there too, in case Aai had not sold it.. She tried to open the locker, but it seemed to be locked, and there was no key hanging anywhere. The smart woman that Savita Aai was, it seemed she kept the keys with her at all times for fear of thieves in the chawl.

"What are you doing here?"

Archana jumped up in fright as she heard the voice behind her. Thankfully, it was just Damodar Baba, glaring at her with eyebrows raised.

She relaxed. "You scared me.. Baba, can you help me out a little?"

"Yeah sure, but what do you want? I don't think Savita's sarees are that good.."

"No Baba, I want keys to this locker. Aai refused to give them to me, and my stuff is inside.."

"Oho!" exclaimed Baba. "Don't tell me Savita snatched your jewellery again."

Archana felt embarrassed. "I had to give it to her when I came back, she was threatening me that she wouldn't let me stay in the house otherwise. I had no options.."

"It's okay, I understand."

"So you will talk to Aai?"

Baba laughed heartily. "I'm not going to waste my time arguing with that mad woman. I have a better way," he said. He looked around to see if anyone was watching and took out a pair of keys from the pocket of his kurta.

Archana's eyes widened. "This?"

"Yes. I made a special pair just for myself. You see, Savita never used to give me any money, and I don't like going to Manav for asking for money for alcohol. So I got my own keys made up so that I could take money from the locker." He said and giggled.

Archana's face fell. This was one of the classic examples when a vice becomes a boon in distress. She didn't what to say about it, except that she really felt like sympathizing with Savita Aai at that moment.

Baba continued enthusiastically. "When you left home, then I had sent Atya to return back your jewellery, remember? That time also I noticed it this way only- I opened the locker for some money for a play I was enacting in, and noticed that Savita had all your jewellery." His face conveyed his disgust. He shrugged and then handed Archana the keys. "Now you keep them."

Archana accepted them. "Baba, please keep in mind that I will also not be giving you money for alcohol." She said. "If Aai, Manav etc are strict with you, it is for a reason."

Baba looked horrified. "Give them back to me then!" he said and tried to take them but Archana removed her fist away. Baba laughed. "Alright alright, you also have a turn at being strict. But as of now, keep the keys." He said and walked away.

Archana watched him go away, and then carefully opened the locker. She could see her jewellery sets inside. She put her hand further inside the locker, and there it was- her mangalsutra. Its black beads shone- warding off evil, the little gold connecting beads shone reflecting all the glory and purity of the sacred institution called marriage. Archana didn't know why she had tears in her eyes, as she hugged her mangalsutra to herself, but she did know that she felt as if she had got a lot of strength back. Just like she had realised what this marriage meant to her, she had also seen what these little beads meant to her- the mark of a married woman. She put the holy necklace around her neck, and looked in the mirror of the almirah. There it was, shining with its peaceful glory, where it always deserved to be. If someone had seen her then, they might have called it a very melodramatic soapy scene, but for someone who had gone through so much for marriage, it was an emotional moment.  Looking at it, somehow, Archana couldn't stop tears from flowing out of her eyes.

She wiped them a few moments later, and instead focused on thinking about whether or not to take away her jewellery sets. After a lot of thought, she decided to let them stay. They would be safe there. Aai loved gold, there was no way she could sell the sets. And anyway, she had the locker keys now. Aai would surely shout when she noticed that she had taken out her mangalsutra from the locker on her own, but she would manage the situation somehow at that time, she thought. There was no running away. She had to face Aai now. Someday or the other it had to happen, especially cos she might be needing her jewellery too in the future in case of financial problem.

She turned away and made her way to the kitchen again. She finally sat down in front of the little mandir and completed her pooja by offering the leaves and worshipping Shiva and Parvati, asking them for blessings so that everything would go well in her marital life.

She was just finishing it all, when Manav entered the kitchen. He stopped for a minute to observe what she was doing.

"All this..??" he asked.

"It's Hartalika today." She answered back.

He knew about it. He had seen Savita Aai observe the fast all these years. What he was astounded about was that he hadn't noticed that Archana hadn't eaten anything  since morning, that she had been wearing green, that she had collected the leaves, that she had asked him to taste the modak instead of eating herself, that she had done the pooja earlier in the day as well.  So stressed out and involved was he in thinking over everything again and again, that he had not noticed anything. He really needed to stop thinking so much and instead get back to a normal life again, at least make an attempt in that direction- he thought.

He couldn't help feeling a little guilty towards Archana. He looked at her as she continued with what she was doing, and noticed her whole attire- she looked like a perfect married woman, with sindoor, bangles and wait, mangalsutra? He hadn't seen her wearing it for quite a few days now.

He analysed it all again-  dressed up just like a married woman should, keeping a fast for him, praying for their married life- everything. He had never thought in his wildest dreams that such a day would come, especially after the way the base of the marriage had been threatened time and again. Somewhere, it still made him feel nice to see her as HIS WIFE. At the same time, it made him feel strange to see her doing the pooja since he knew that with Archana's reasons of coming back into the house plus the whole situation in the house, exactly how much, or rather how little chance their marriage had of succeeding.

He stood there watching her. "What are you staring at?" asked Archana with a smile.

He came out of his thoughts. "Umm.. nothing. Just thinking.. you think this works?"

"What?"

"Fasting, and all.."

She smiled back at him again. "Well, I have been doing this fast for many years cos unmarried women also do this fast to pray for a good husband. It worked, didn't it?"

He looked away, trying to hide a smile and a blush. Archana noticed it and tried not to giggle.

"Why are you going all heavy on complimenting me?" he asked. "Earlier this evening it was about my smile, and now this.."

She laughed. "There's no reason." She said. "It just came out 'involuntarily'. You can also compliment me in return if you want."

He wanted to say something at that moment, but somehow he didn't get the words. He fumbled for a while and then murmured- "I better go."

And he walked out of the kitchen, going over everything in his mind again.

In the living room, Vedant and Vandita were sitting and watching TV. Manav looked at them for a minute, then went and sat next to them. "What's on?"

"Nothing." Grumbled Vedant. "There is nothing worth watching on TV these days. Everything is so boring."

"Hmm.." Manav noticed Vandita was looking around. "What happened to you?"

"Nu.. nothing."

"Are you looking around to make sure Archana is not listening to our convo?" Manav asked with one brow raised. Vandita felt embarassed.

Manav took in a deep breath. "Vandita, this is not the way to behave.."

"I don't like her." Vandita said quietly. "Ever since she has come back, everyone is fighting in the house, and you had to go to jail too.."

"Vandu listen.."

"I don't like her.."

Manav sighed. "Listen Vandu, do you know the whole story?"

"Most of it."

"Well when you do not know the whole story, it really isn't fair to jump to conclusions."

"Fine, tell me the whole story.."

Manav thought of how to explain everything from the beginning. "Vandu, it's like, Aai and all of us had to go to jail cos Aai herself had been wrong.. her antics gave others a chance to complain.."

"But if  Vahini is really a part of the family, she wouldn't have complained and got Aai hit by the policewoman." said Vandita bitterly.

"She didn't Vandu, it was her Vahini.. Archana is on OUR side.. she wanted to solve the whole matter without taking the legal route, her evil Vahini involved the law cos she knew Aai would get punished.."

"Whatever, they are her people only after all.." grunted Vandita unhappily. "And it's not just that, ever since she has come back, all of us have broken apart. We never sit together or have a family moment again.."

"That is not bcos of her," said Vedant suddenly. "As far as I can remember, we haven't had a family moment ever since Sachin Dada left.. cos since then Aai has always been blaming Manav Dada and fighting with him.."

Manav was surprised at this interruption. "Ah well, yes.. that is true.."

"Dada, will you leave us and go away with her?" asked Vandita worriedly. "Please don't go away.. we'll not say anything bad to her, we will do as you say, but please don't go away.."

"Who told you about going away?" asked Manav.

Vandita was silent. Manav gave her a hard glare. "Vandu, have you been eavesdropping..?"

She bit her lip. Manav did not feel angry, but rather emotional as he understood how insecure his siblings were. He put one arm around her lovingly. "I'm not going anywhere." He said firmly. "I will make sure both of you do not compromise in this mess."

"Dada, are you angry with Aai?" asked Vandita in a small voice. "Are you angry with us also?"

"No, I'm not angry with you, why would I be angry with you, but yes, with Aai it's a different matter.."

"You aren't on talking terms with Aai now, isn't it." Piped in Vedant. Manav felt embarassed.

"Listen both of you," he finally got up and sat in front of them. "I do not know how much you know about everything and how much you will be able to understand- even I'm having a difficult time trying to manage my sensibilities and my emotions- but just see it this way- if I, Baba, Tarun Dada, everyone thinks Aai is wrong, then you can trust our judgement can't you?"

Vedant nodded. "The way I see everything, it's like your best friend being punished at school." He said. "You feel bad that he got punished and you feel like cursing the teacher and also the one who complained, but then again, no point in going around blaming only other people and defending your friend.. I mean I do feel bad for Aai and I hate that Manjusha, but it's not like I'll go around defending Aai vigorously and saying others were wrong and she wasn't.."

"Exactly." Agreed Manav. "But Dada, why is it that you fight with Aai so much these days.. don't even talk to her.. don't even eat the food she makes.. if it were my best friend, I would still have talked to her.."

"Listen Vandu, things are complicated between Aai and me, Aai has been cheating me," Manav said. "I know," said Vandita. "But parents forgive so many mistakes of their children all through, why can't you forgive one?" she asked innocently.

Manav had no answer to this simple question. He turned his face away. "I could have tried to forget it all if Aai had shown remorse, but she doesn't regret doing anything.. so how can I.." he trailed off. "It's not even a question of forgiving actually, I just don't feel for Aai the way I felt before. Our equation has changed." He really felt uncomfortable in talking to all this with his school going siblings. It reminded him of his own days, when he too had been forced by circumstances to mature earlier than his age. Would his siblings have to go through it too? He looked at Vedant who was nonchalantly watching TV. "You can also speak." Manav spoke up.

Vedant lowered the volume of TV. "What to say? The situation is in front of us, and it's not a pretty one. You have been saying since a long time that you don't want us to interfere in this situation or take sides, and that is what I've been doing, cos anyway it is difficult to take sides in this situation. When we try and help in any whichever way, we are told off by Aai. Vandita got told off by her pretty badly once when she tried to tell you about Shravani. Aai said we are not big enough to discuss or get involved in such things. Surprisingly, Aai doesn't think we are small NOW, when she discusses all these matters with us, about how you've changed and Archana Vahini is bad and all."

Manav was shocked. "Aai has been telling you all this?"

"She told us to try and talk to you so that our home could be same as earlier." Said Vandita. Manav grumbled angrily. "This is not fair. I try to keep you out of this mess by asking you not to take sides or get involved in all this. But Aai doesn't. These one sided opinions are poisoning your mind. This is really not fair."

"Dada, can we not get back together as we were earlier?" pleaded Vandita. "The house seems a different place these days.."

"I'm sorry Vandu, but Aai has gone too far in cheating me this time, dear. You will have to understand me here." Vandita nodded sadly. "If Vahini goes away, things between you and Aai will be better.."  she murmured.

"No they won't." said Manav stoutly. "There's nothing like that. So stop thinking that all this is bcos of Archana.. it isn't. It's bcos of Aai's own behavior. Bcos of her your Sachin Dada has gone from this house." He took a deep breath. He had no wish to start the whole lecture again. "Listen, unlike Aai I will never ask you to blindly support me. But I do expect you to understand what I'm going through, even if you do not agree with my behavior. One good thing about your Sachin Dada was that he said he would always be with me, even if he doesn't agree with my decisions or my choices in life. I think we have to all learn to be the same."

Vandita hugged his arm. "I know Dada, I'm always with you! Just that I don't want Vahini in this house. I hope she leaves."

"This is all Aai's influence. I know she must have drilled all this into your head. I don't understand why you even listen to Aai." Said Vedant dryly. Vandita frowned.

"Vedant.." said Manav in a warning tone. He didn't like someone speaking in this manner about an elder.

"No Dada, sorry to say but I mean it.. as per convenience we suddenly become kids for her, as per convenience we suddenly become adults for her. You have stuck to one stand, and you do not involve us in these decisions. But she does, and that too in a selective manner. When we take your side, she scolds us saying we are not big enough to get involved in all this, and when we don't take any sides, she talks to us about it saying that we must do something about it since we are not kids any longer but adults of the house. So who are we.. adults or kids? And are we to get involved or not? Gosh, all this really tires me out these days.."

Manav closed his eyes. Why are you doing this Aai, he thought silently to himself- into how many more fractions do you want to break this house?

"That is why I chose to ignore her these days." Said Vedant flatly. "I remain unaffected by all the happenings of the house and simply concentrate on my own studies. I remember once you told me that the best way we can help you in all this is by concentrating on our studies, so that we can go to good govt. colleges and save you money later."

Manav smiled at Vedant. "Frankly speaking, you are the one who's helping me most these days by thinking like this." He ruffled his hair. "Don't spoil my hair brother," squirmed Vedant, setting it right again. "I talked to one of my teachers at school, and he told me that if I want to do well in school and get to medical college next year, then I need to maintain focus. These are the two most crucial years of my life."

Manav nodded in agreement.  "Full points to you. I completely agree with your teacher. These problems are never- ending, but both of you should only try and concentrate on your studies. The problems will come and go, but if these 2 years fly away, you will repent a lot later. These 2 years are going to make or break your future."

Vedant smiled a little and continued. "I keep telling this to Vandu also, that you don't get involved in all this, but she doesn't listen. All the time she's consoling Aai and trying to make her feel better. I know Aai has suffered due to that Manjusha's scheming, but it's not like Aai is all innocent in this mess, so even though I feel really bad for her and really mad at Manjusha, there's no point in campaigning so aggressively for Aai and cursing other people and most of all Archana Vahini. And anyways, no matter, how much we speak, our opinion is not going to be taken seriously."

"Aai is our mother! It isn't fair to treat her like this! She's also very sad, I'm telling you she was crying last night and she doesn't eat well these days." Manav felt bad. Vandita pursed her lips. "I don't like Archana Vahini." She said.

"Why do you waste your time and energy thinking about her?" said Vedant, back to watching TV. "Concentrate on your own studies."

"No need to act oversmart. Dada is there to advise." She snapped.

"I'm not acting oversmart, I'm acting on Dada's advice only." Said Vedant. Manav was irked. "Stop fighting both of you!" both became silent immediately.

Archana passed by at the moment. "Manav is something wrong?" she asked in a small voice.

"Huh?" he looked back at her. "Nothing." He said. Archana looked at Vedant and Vandita. "The chawl pooja will be there tomorrow at 8 o clock. Make sure you get ready by then. And if there are any clothes to be ironed, you can give them to me early tomorrow morning."

Vandita did not reply, while Vedant politely said, "Yes, we shall do that." Archana smiled and went back to her room.

Morning arrived, and the chawl was in a state of frenzy with speakers blaring out songs and bhajans of Ganpati, the Ganpati stotra, and even announcements regarding the pooja. People were seen rushing in and out of their houses, all dressed up, getting ready for the pooja.

Archana too was in a hurry as she got breakfast ready, as well as prepared the materials to make lunch. She quickly set plates for the kids and looked about for Baba. He was nowhere to be seen. She hoped that he and Aai had not fought again last night.

She noticed Manav coming out of the bathroom, towelling his head and she walked to him. "Your kurta-pyajama are on the bed with your wallet. Anything else?"

"Umm.. no.. why haven't you got ready?'

"I will.. in a few minutes.."

Vandita approached them. "Dada.."

"What is it?"

She looked at Archana for a moment, then spoke to Manav. "Aai has told no one should be involved in the chawl function today. People will gossip and ask questions about the complaint."

Manav groaned. Aai again!

"Baba has not said anything of that sort. Rather he wanted everyone to take part." He told Vandita. "And you and Vedant don't need to get involved in all this anyway. We are a part of the chawl, we have contributed for the festival, we are supposed to help, and celebrate. Go ahead and get ready. We will sort this out later."

Celebrated in the month of Bhadrapada, Ganesh Chaturthi is one of the most important festivals all over India and especially in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. On this day, Lord Shiva declared Lord Ganesh to be superior amongst all gods, and the one to be worshipped first. Ganesha is widely worshipped as the god of wisdom, prosperity and good fortune and traditionally invoked at the beginning of any new venture or at the start of travel. Ganesh Chaturthi comprises of a ten day celebration in most states, starting at the shukla chaturthi, and ending at the Anant Chaturdashi, after which the visarjan is done. All homes worship Ganesh during this period and pray for wisdom and good fortune. Some invoke their own idols which are worshipped for 1 and , 3, 5 or 7 days. During this time, large idols are kept in big pandals, and public worship takes place along with great fanfare, celebrations and activities for fun. In fact, so profound is the impact and participation in this festival, that it is nowadays also used for a ground for awareness or social work, like blood donation.

There at the chawl, the Pooja at the grand Pandal had just began. The grand idol of Ganpati Bappa over 3 feet tall, on his position at the stage, exhibited a majestic air, dressed in finery and thronged by devotees who hurried to put prasad, sweets and flowers in place. The priest, dressed in a white dhoti and a shawl, invoked life into the idol of Lord Ganesh by chanting mantras, a ritual called Pranapratistha. The Shhodhashopchara followed, in which tribute is given to the Lord in 16 ways. 21 modaks, 21 blades of grass (durva) coconut, jaggery and red flowers are offered and turmeric and sandalwood is applied.

The atmosphere in the chawl was sober and serious now, with the only sound being the Vedic hymns being recited by the priest, resounding due to the speakers. After some time, the pooja was done, and it was time for the grand Aarti of the day. All the people gathered in the empty space in front of the pandal, the Deshmukh family members among them. The ladies leading the Aarti forward, and the little children assigned to ring the bells took position.

Sukhkarta Dukhharta Varta Vighnachi ll
(Oh Lord who provides Joy, takes away Sadness and removes all "vighnas" (obstacles) in life)

Nurvi Purvi Prem Krupa Jayachi ll
(Who spreads love everywhere as his blessing)

Sarvangi Sundar Uti Shendurachi ll
(Who has lovely "shendur utna"(yellow-orange fragrance paste) all over his body)

Kanti Jhalke Mal Mukataphalaanchi..ll
(Who has a necklace of "Mukataphal"(pearls in Sanskrit) around his neck)

Jaidev Jaidev Jai Mangal Murti ll
(Hail the god, Hail the god, Hail the auspicious idol)

Darshan Maatre Man: Kaamna Phurti ll
(All our wishes are fulfilled just by "darshan" (looking at the idol)

One by one, members of each family of the chawl came ahead and took their turns to do the aarti. Manav was standing in a corner with Vedant and Vandita. His Baba wasn't there yet. And Aai wouldn't come. She was in no mood to mingle with the other people so soon after the humiliating harassment complaint. He would have to do the aarti on behalf of his family, he thought.

He came ahead as his turn came up, indicating that he would do the aarti on behalf of the Deshmukh family. The person before him handed him the large brass diya with its seven wicks glowing away beautifully. He held it firmly for a moment to make sure he had it properly in place.

A hand crept up softly to touch his hand, the same one in which he was holding the diya. He was slightly taken aback as he turned to have a look.

It was Archana, but she seemed so different, he couldn't believe it. Today she was dressed up in a violet silk sari, her hair tied back and left half open. She appeared absolutely radiant and perfect with small ear-rings, her sindoor and mangalsutra, not the harassed soul that one would have expected her to look.

"Manav.. let's start.." she whispered. He looked ahead in front, moving the diya in a circle again and again, Archana's hand moving along with him.

(Ignore the Karanjkars in the background)

In front of them, Ganpati Bappa sat contentedly, witnessing the sight. Behind them, the chawl folks whispered.

"I thought things were wrong between them?"

"Weren't they going through a rough patch? Wasn't Manav beating his wife, or something like that? What was that harassment complaint about?"

"Well, it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. They seem pretty normal."

"I have seen them together many times.. god knows what is happening.. if she was so unhappy in that house that she even made a police complaint about it, then why is she still living there?"

"Arey leave her, how did Manav accept her back?"

"I would have never tolerated for sure if my wife had made a police complaint against me.. how come things have settled down between them so soon.."

"Hey wait.. where is Savita Vahini?"

"Hmmm.."

"Something is fishy.. the matter is not what it appears.. the complaint could be false as they have been saying.. maybe that is why.."

"But we did see Savita Vahini troubling her.. didn't we?"

"Yes, but Manav?"

"Aahh.. yes I get your point.."

Unmindful of the fact that they had sent the whole chawl in gossiping frenzy, the two devotees carried out the aarti, praying to the Lord from the bottom of their hearts.

"What now?" asked Archana after they were done with the pooja.

He had been thinking about the same. "Since it's an off for me and all the other mechanics, I think I shall go to the garage- MY garage." He clarified. "I better clean it up today, a few people talked to me about the goods.." he hesitated. "You know that I rent the garage as a warehouse these days, don't you?"

She nodded. "I too will be going out for some time later in the day, around 12, maybe."

He raised a brow. "Home?"

She hesitated. "Under present circumstances I don't think it would be right for me to go home. I was talking about the NGO office, we have the pooja there too."

"Oh yeah.. well okay," he said. "The ukdachi modak came out well.."

She gave a small smile. "Really?"

"No, I'm lying." She frowned a little. "Of course I mean it. You made them well.."

"I had to.. there was a lot of pressure.."

"What pressure? It's not like I would have been angry if you hadn't made them well.."

"Not you, but the rest of the chawl people will be tasting na! In the 15 days I was here, they had never eaten anything made by me or known anything about me.. so.."

He laughed. "You want to impress them?"

She tried not to smile. "No, not that way.. but yeah, I didn't want anyone to say that her parents haven't taught her anything.. and yes, people do judge by such little things, so.."

He tried to hide a giggle. "Alright, all the best then.. and yeah, I might work late, and I might not come home for lunch, okay?"

She opened her mouth to protest but he had already walked off.

Left alone in the chawl compound, Archana picked up the plate of modaks kept in front of the Lord, the ones she had made religiously the day before. She approached the different groups of people- the Aunties, the little kids etc. and offered them the prasad. While most of the people accepted it quietly, some of them gave each other a look of confusion. She made small talk with the Aunties at the chawl, inquiring after their health and family, and answered their small questions while effectively dodging the more embarassing ones. She went to Vandita and Vedant, offered prasad, and made small talk with them as well, asking them about where they would be the rest of the day, and if she should make lunch for them.

"I'm going out with my friends." Vedant told her. "We always go and see the various pandals on the first day. I will eat outside."

"Fine. What about you Vandita?" Archana asked. "Huh?" said Vandita suddenly, alarmed at the question being addressed to her. She fumbled for words. "I think I shall go to my friends' house, they bring the Ganpati home every year. I will come home by afternoon."

"Alright." Archana said. "But call on Manav's phone if you need someone to pick you up, or if there is any change in your plans.. else everyone will get worried here. And the roads will be very crowded today, so just take care." Vedant piped in- "I'll accompany her till her friend's house, don't worry. Thanks for asking." Archana passed him a small smile, and Vandita heaved a sigh of relief as soon as she was gone.

The chawl Aunties digested everything. "What in the world is happening in the Deshmukh house? How is it that after everything that happened, things are still so peaceful there?" they wondered. "And where has our tigress Savita disappeared? Has she become a cat after that police complaint?"

All this had not gone unnoticed by Savita, who had come out for her darshan. Her mind was already heated up on noticing that Archana had her mangalsutra, something she hadn't noticed earlier cos she usually avoided coming face to face with her these days and mostly stayed in her room. It hadn't taken long for her to understand that Archana HAD opened her locker without her permission. And now she was hobnobbing with the people in the chawl. She looked angrily at Archana who was in front of the idol of Ganesh, giving the modaks to the priest. This girl will see the worst of me today- thought Savita, walking angrily in front of the idol. She pulled Archana by the arm.

"Ouch!" cried Archana.

"What is this nonsense?" said Savita. "How dare you steal my jewellery!"

Archana tried to calm herself as she looked around. "Aai people are watching.." She started.

"Let them watch! Let them also see the thief in my house!" shouted Savita. The restless hum from the crowd lowered the impact a little, but a few people still turned around to watch.

"Aai, please.. not here.." Archana tried to make her see sense, trying to free herself from her hold and calming herself at the same time.

"Why not here.." shot back Savita. "Scared of what happened last time? Scared of an action replay?" Savita twisted her hand some more, so that Archana groaned. "I guess you have forgotten else you wouldn't have done what you did today!" she said in a malicious voice.

Of course she remembered it, Archana thought, looking into Savita's fiery eyes directly for a moment, as everything replayed in front of her. That was not anything that could be forgotten- the way Aai had thrown her out last time, the way she had been called names, the way Aai had snatched her mangalsutra, humiliated her- she remembered everything.

And she remembered the aftermath as well- her parents worried for her till this day, the police complaint, Manav being punished in jail for no fault, the embarassment- she remembered everything. It had been these same fiery eyes everytime, into whom she had looked, horrified at the cold way they looked down on her each time Savita had hurt her. Each time she had looked for just a little womanly understanding but had never got any. This woman was simply made of stone- Archana thought, her usually soft brown eyes hardening and turning steely as she looked into Savita's angry ones. Forget Archana, she didn't care for her own children, for her own blood. She wasn't scared of God, and she had no respect for any kind of relationship. Disgust brimmed up in Archana's mind as each of Savita Aai's deeds played out in front of her again. It was as if all that had accumulated in her heart all these days started coming up on the surface. For a moment, she could not see the person of whom she had always been a little scared, she could only see a vile abusive lady who had wreaked havoc on everyone and had no repentance of everything. Savita meanwhile continued shouting.

"How dare you open my locker! How dare you steal from it..  don't you have any shame? This  is your upbringing?"

"Did you have any shame when you broke my suitcase and fleeced all my gold on my first day in this house?" Shot Archana before she could control herself.

For a moment Savita was stunned. Was it really the cow Archana who had spoken? "Why you.."

She was not prepared for what happened next. Archana, obviously stronger than her, held her by the other arm and literally pulled her out to the back of the chawl, where Savita found herself following her, dumbstruck by the turn of events.

Once in privacy, Archana faced Savita again, her face taut and very firm. "You shameless girl.. is this what your parents have taught you.. is this the way you behave with elders.."

"Thank God that my parents have taught me to be respectful to elders, cos I think this is what prevented me from answering back to you in public." Said Archana stoutly. "And thank God that you are Manav's mother- and your actions affect him, cos for his sake I would not like an action replay of whatever happened last time. Unlike you, I don't go about creating nuisance and washing dirty linen in public."

"Someone has become a Jhansi ki Rani all of a sudden!" taunted Savita. "Aye you don't mess with me, and this.." she clawed at Archana's mangalsutra.

Archana held Savita's hand. "Aai," she said in a warning tone, almost gritting her teeth. " Don't push me over the edge, I'm telling you, don't push me anymore."

With this she left Savita's hand and stormed off into the house, not waiting to take another look at her neighbours, who had now started staring at her. Savita stared open mouthedly at her. Till date Archana had never spoken in this manner. What had got into this girl suddenly, she wondered. Whatever it was, she would deal with her soon, thought Savita Aai angrily.

And this time she was not going to give Archana any chances.

"Put that over there." Manav instructed to a worker. "And that box over there."

He was at his garage, which he rented out as a warehouse or godown these days to make some money till he could collect enough funds himself to start the garage again. Thanks to the holiday for Ganesh Chaturthi, he had some time to look into the rent and other affairs today. A dealer had called him some time back, and now he was supervising the storage of the goods.

He looked around himself. The garage still seemed a scary place, he thought- the black soot on the walls withstanding. Thankfully he had removed all the burnt up junk by himself, and the garage was clean enough to be used. Market being close by, he easily got customers in the form of wholesale dealers- and some easy cash. But it wasn't what he wanted- he sighed to himself as he remembered the name plate at the office of his garage, when it had opened the first time, before it got burned the same night. He remembered how angry he had been with God that night asking him why it had to happen with him. From there onwards, things had only spiralled downwards.

Was there any end to these problems- he wondered. Would he ever be able to get his own garage and some prosperity in life, or was he doomed to die as a mechanic?

"Is anyone here?" a voice broke his chain of thoughts. Manav turned around to look. A short, plump man wearing round spectacles had entered the garage and was peeking about anxiously.

"Over here!" called out Manav. The short man came over to Manav. He appeared slightly tensed, Manav noticed.

"Hello!" he said politely. "I wanted to meet Mr. Manav Deshmukh."

"That's me, but you.." Said Manav, a little astounded. Very rarely it happened that people referred to him as 'Mr. Manav Deshmukh'. Usually he was used to hearing Manav or simply 'mechanic' (in the garage).

The man flashed a smile and extended his hand towards Manav. "My name is Dharmesh Jaipurwala, from Kewan spare parts, remember me?"

"Dharmesh Jaipurwala..??" Manav tried to remember as he rubbed his hand on his shirt and shook hands with Dharmesh. "I'm sorry but I don't think we've met, have we?"

"Oh yes we have!" exclaimed Dharmesh. "You had come to my office to buy automobile spare parts for your garage!"

"WHAT!" said Manav, flabbergasted. "What are you saying, I.. I never came to buy spare parts.. and.."

"You did!" Dharmesh persisted. "I remember very well- it was a big order. We had met in my office in Thane, and I had offered you cold drink and samosas!"

"Well, I don't remember any cold drink and samosas!" said Manav indignantly. He was beginning to think that this Dharmesh fellow was a bit mad. "My garage got burnt long back. I never gave order for any spare parts."

"Burnt?" said Dharmesh. "But.. I went to your garage just a few minutes back, you did give an order.. I have the list with me.. look here."

He took out a notebook and showed Manav a list of equipments and spare parts, with the date and the name of the garage on top. Manav slapped his forehead. "THIS!?!" he exclaimed. "This was not meant for MY garage, I had ordered it for Girishji's garage."

"Yes, yes whatever." Said Dharmesh happily, relieved that at least Manav remembered it. "Why are you showing this to me now, I had made this order long back.."

"Yes, and you never came to take it.." said Dharmesh.

"That was bcos  the order was cancelled a few days after it was placed." Said Manav. "In those days when I placed the order, I was the Supervisor of Girishji's garage. Girishji had made me Supervisor temporarily, later he removed me from that post (Refer to previous parts: After Manav refused to marry Shravani) and appointed another Supervisor, an acquaintance of his. The new Supervisor did not want to buy spare parts of this brand, so he decided to cancel the previous order that I had placed. I believe he talked to someone in your office regarding that.."

Dharmesh's face turned pale. "Mr. Manav.."

"Please call me only Manav."

"Oh yes, only Manav.. I mean Manav.. there has been some miscommunication- I did not know the order was to be cancelled. I am only a dealer of these spare parts, not a manufacturer. I ordered the parts from the company- Kewan spare parts in bulk as told by you. And now, when I asked about the delivery and payment, the new Supervisor refused point blank, saying they never placed the order."

"And he's right." Said Manav. "There was no official paperwork done,  I hadn't signed anything, I had given no advance. Later, the new Supervisor refused a lot before time. If your staff had some miscommunication between them, we are not responsible for it."

"But.. but.." said Dharmesh pensively. He took out his handkerchief and wiped his forehead. "Mr. Manav, I have already ordered the spare parts now.. what will I do with such a bulk?"

"Well, I can't help you here Mr. Jaipurwala." Said Manav. "The Supervisor and Girishji are the only ones who have authority regarding this. You should speak to the Supervisor or to Girishji and convince them to buy the spare parts. I do know they are of good quality, in fact, even better than the reputed brand we have been buying since the last few years. And they're also cheaper. That's why I had ordered them in the first place."

"Yes!" said Dharmesh, brightening up a little. "Kewan spare parts is comparatively a new company, it will take sometime to take over the existing brands, but it is definitely more sturdy. Why don't you convince your people and.."

"Me?" said Manav, a little staggered. "Mr. Jaipurwala, I have no authority any longer. I am a mere mechanic working in that garage.. they will not listen to me.."

"But.. please try convincing the Supervisor.." Dharmesh pleaded.

"I had tried. I had told him not to cancel the order that I had placed earlier and pointed out the pros in the spare parts of your company, but he refused. He thinks the existing brands are better, even if a little more expensive. Nowadays customers prefer reputed brands for their vehicles. The profit we get from them is also good."

Dharmesh looked really pensive now. "Are you okay Mr. Jaipurwala?" asked Manav a little cautiously.

"No." said poor Dharmesh. "I have ordered so much spare parts as required by a big garage like Girishji's.. and now.. how am I going to sell all this.. what am I going to do with all this.."

Manav thought for a while. "Store it for a while and sell it slowly. You have a shop after all, and its spare parts we are talking about, not mangoes which will get destroyed if not eaten in a few days."

"You don't understand. My income is the profit I make by selling the goods. I have brought so much, invested so much money, and now it won't fetch me anything in return for the next few days- rather I will have to pay more for the storage etc of these goods. Mr. Manav.. I mean Manav.. please talk to your Supervisor again, or to Girishji.."

"Girishji is not here.. he has gone to Bangalore with his daughter.. and frankly speaking he is not on very good terms with me. If you want him to help you, talk to him yourself. Or talk to the Supervisor. He is a very nice man. If you tell him your problem, he may consider and gladly accept the goods."

"I tried, but he isn't listening to me. Manav, please talk to him again.."

"No Mr. Jaipurwala.. I can't argue over this any more, and on what basis shall I argue? I have no authority or people to favour me.. and I'm just a mechanic who has observed the good points in your spare parts going by my experience of working in the garage since so many years.. but the Supervisor is a Mechanical Engineer. He must be knowing all this better than me, I really am in no position to debate with him, he can shut me up in two minutes."

"But.." Dharmesh looked very worried. "I really can't help you here.. please try and understand.. and I really can't afford to get into trouble with the management at this time- I'm myself going through a rough patch, I need this job.. please understand my situation.." Manav trailed off.

Dharmesh nodded dejectedly. "I was so happy that I'd got a big order.. I even went ahead and took the loan I had wanted to take for so long, cos I anticipated a good profit in coming days.. and now this.."

Manav felt bad for him. "Can't you just return the goods to the company?"

Dharmesh shook his head. "I might try, but it is going to lower my credibility.."

"I'm sorry Mr. Jaipurwala, trust me, if I had my own garage right now, I would have bought all your goods and used them in my own garage.. but fate had written something else for me.. I think you should try and talk to Girishji. Take his number from the garage."

Dharmesh nodded, still looking very down. He looked around himself. "Is this your garage.. what happened to it?"

"It got burnt." Manav replied. "I rent it out as a godown these days to make some money so that I can pay the bank loans and save some money to repair it and start it again one day." Only God knew when that would happen, he thought to himself.

And then suddenly he had a thought. "Mr. Jaipurwala, I can't help you in buying the goods, but I can help you in another way." He said. He pointed to the small room at the back of the garage, which used to be his office at one time. "There is still some space there. If you want, I can store your goods there for as long as you want, at a discounted rate. In the meanwhile, try and talk to Girishji. If he gets convinced, we can shift all of it to his garage."

"Hmm.. but how is this going to help me..?"

"Well, you yourself spoke about what you would do with all this bulk of goods and how you would store them.. so.."

"Oh okay.. you mean I can save on the storage.. well.. that is very thoughful of you.. I must admit, I wouldn't have done it if I were in your place.." said Dharmesh. Manav smiled at the guy's honesty while Dharmesh scrutinised the place from top to bottom. "Well, I could really save some money storing them here.. as it is, rates are less here than in Thane.."

"Good." Manav smiled. "Get your goods, I'll make some space for them."

"The truck's just outside." Dharmesh retorted. "Let's start moving them in."

"Outside?" wondered Manav. Hmm.. seemed like this Jaipurwala guy had come with full preparations to plonk his goods and not take them back. "Come!"

"Manav,"

Manav turned at the small voice. Through the dim light of the bulb in the garage, he made out the slim figure of Archana walking inside the garage, stumbling over something on the ground.

"Careful." He cautioned her. "What happened?"

"Nothing.. I was returning from the NGO and I thought we could walk back home together.."

"This late?" remarked Manav. "I thought the Pooja took place a few hours earlier.."

"Yes, then I took my Ma'am to Fanny Ma'am's orphanage." Archana explained.

Manav's interest piqued. "I thought you had forgotten.."

Archana gave a weak smile. "No Manav, I would never forget about it, you see this is one duty that you yourself endowed upon me, you had trust that I could handle this job that you are giving me. I have to prove myself on my counts, but amongst all of them, this comes first."

(Note: Fanny Ma'am= Manav's old teacher, runs orphanage which is currently under trouble due to lease, Manav had asked Archana to look into it--- previous parts)

Manav nodded. "How did it go?"

"Fanny Ma'am's condition is much better now in London, but she won't be returning in all probability. At least not before the matter of the lease is sorted out. Since it's a holiday today, my senior had some time, so I took her around, asking her what she could do to

"That would be great!" said Manav happily. "Thanks for looking into the matter Archana!!"

"Please don't thank me Manav." Said Archana uncomfortably. "I don't like it when you thank me."

Manav nodded and continued with his work. "It will take a few minutes.."

"It's okay, I will wait." She said.

"You go, it might take some time."

"No it's okay." She said, sitting on a box. Manav wrapped up his work quickly. It was time for the evening aarti.

"Is there something wrong Archana?" asked Manav, as they walked back home together. "Why such hesitation in going home?

She thought for a moment, then decided to tell him. Now that they were together, it was best for them to be open with each other regarding everything. It was only THEN that they could help each other with their problems and gain a better understanding as man and wife. She started speaking, and slowly told him about everything that had happened between her and Aai in the morning.

"I just thought that.. that if you come along with me, we can avoid getting things dirty." She said. "Else Aai might create another ruckus in the chawl."

"Hmm.. you are right." He said. "That was good thinking on your part." He then stopped to ponder a little, then said, "Tell me again, what all did you say to Aai?"

Her face went red. She hoped he wasn't angry with her. Deep down she knew he still cared for his Aai and loved her, and wouldn't like anyone to speak to her in such a stark tone. But there was no use thinking about it anyway now, she thought and told him how she had opened the locker last night with Baba's help, how Aai had got angry with her over it and shouted at her in the chawl, how she had pulled Aai out and asked her firmly not to speak nonsense about her or her parents or make a scene in front of everyone. When she had finished, she was surprised to see a small smile on Manav's face.

"Are you angry with me?" she asked nervously.

"Do people smile when they are angry?" he asked.

She relaxed. Manav continued. "I'm just wondering where were you all these days. Where was Archana all these days- the Archana whom I'd admired bcos she had asked her to be fiance to leave cos he was troubling her parents. I'd admired you then for speaking up inspite of the fact that you were the same as you are now- a little less confident and open, and a little more subdued and kind of in-the-shell, but yes, pretty much the same in some ways. I honestly could never understand why you cowed down infront of my Aai, I have seen you giving you people a piece of your mind when required, speaking up when required- yes, you were shy and quiet and the quintessential 'good girl', but never a doormat.  I have seen you not talking to me, shooing me away in those days when you thought I was a bad person. I still remember you blasted me in front of your neighbours once when you were mad at me for cheating you. I could not understand why you could never answer back to my Aai or confront her."

Archana lowered her head. "I don't know Manav," she said honestly. "That is something difficult to figure out- maybe it wasn't just one thing, but a combination of factors- the fact that she is your Aai, that she has enormous influence on you, that she is much much elder to me, the abusive tone she used, the physical force, her words, her threats- everything was difficult for me I guess, and it always happened so suddenly." She looked up at him. "Subconsciously, I think it all added up somewhere, I.. I just got scared of her.. I think I tend to speak up when I get mad with anger or emotions.. but regarding Aai, more than angry, I usually got very scared of her.."

She looked very subdued and her eyes had that old fear in them, and Manav understood that she must be remembering those terrible moments. He kept one hand on her shoulder to relax her and smiled encouragingly.

" I understand.." he said softly. "Most of the chawl women too get tongue tied in front of Aai. Once she starts shouting it's difficult to stop her or reason with her. Aai can get very crude when she wants to."

"I think I have just been more.. umm.. mentally prepared.. ever since I came back.." said Archana, thoughtfully. "I came back late.. I know I took my own sweet time to come back to you.. but that was solely bcos it took time for me to mentally prepare myself to the fact that your Aai is an undismissable part of your life. I knew this would happen and I would have to take a strong action against it one day. I knew from the start that I have to be very firm if I have to live with you and Aai in the same house.. I had thought I would handle things by being tactical and avoiding confrontations, but today when she called me a thief and shameless and what not and went on about my mangalsutra, coupled with the incidents of the previous few days and those past moments when she had hurled accusations on my character-- flinging even the police complaint scenario and all that has happened with YOU on my face- it just made me mad. I don't know what happened to me, though  I do admit that I have become more vocal and defensive these days,"  she said, remembering how she had lashed out at Manjusha previously and even argued with her Aai regarding Manav. Circumstances had forced her to take a stand then. "I am not the same as I was earlier, I have changed a little in the past few days, I think." She said reflectively.

"And you have changed for the better too. Archana, take my advice, never regret what you did today, don't even feel guilty thinking she is elder to you, don't get me wrong, but elders get respect when they behave like elders." He said. "Henceforth, you need to be the same- strong enough to defend yourself and take a stand for yourself whenever required-w henever anyone tries to put you down in ANY way. You shouldn't wait till the moment when you can't tolerate it anymore and lose it all, and then react. It might be too late by then. There is seriously no need to tolerate any nonsense. Be firm about it. I am there to support you always."

She smiled at him, relaxed by his last line. "Now that you have said that you are there, I'm not scared of anything." She intertwined Manav's hand tightly into hers, while he looked up at her, surprised. "Let's go home now," she said, and started walking, as Manav trudged along, staring at their intertwined hands.

XXX

Subpart 2 coming up soon!

Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago

Subpart 2

Archana and Manav walked back to the chawl, just in time for the evening aarti. A crowd had now assembled in front of the pandal, and Vandita and Vedant could be seen too. Manav waved to them, and they joined him in the crowd. "How was your day?"

"Great!" chirped Vandita happily. "I was at my friend's house for most part of the day. She is going to perform at a function, so she showed me her dance and we designed her costume together."

Manav smiled. "You seem to have had a good time. And that reminds me, on what will you perform this year in our Chawl Ganpati function? There will be a special night for performances, remember?"

Vandita turned sheepish. "I was actually thinking of not performing this year." She said. "Aai told that we shouldn't take part."

"Don't listen to Aai." Manav said flatly. "You have taken part every year, take part this year also. We haven't done anything wrong, so there is no need to remain in hiding like culprits. At least you and Vedant don't need to do that- you children are in no way involved with the whole thing."

"I don't know Dada.." she said, a little scared. Manav nudged Vedant to say something. "Yes, of course you should take part. Sing a bhajan or something.." (bhajan=religious songs)

"Bhajan?" questioned Vandu with one brow raised. "People will doze off if I sing a bhajan.. I was thinking of a dance number or something like that.."

Manav and Vedant were flabbergasted. "No no, no need to dance on any of those pathetic Munni and Sheila songs." Said Manav with a disgusted face.

"But I will choose a good song!" persisted Vandita.

"All songs are rubbish these days! You are not going to dance on any of those songs. Do a classical or folk dance or sing a bhajan- that's it. No dancing on those rubbish songs."

"I agree with Dada!" said Vedant stoutly. "There are lots of boys in the chawl and.. ahem.. don't dance on such songs that's it."

Vandita fumed. "First you put the idea into my head and now you don't let me follow it." She said angrily. She was surprised to hear giggling from the back. She turned to see Archana, laughing with her hand on the mouth- enjoying the banter between the siblings. She put a hand on Vandu's shoulder. "Don't worry, we shall try and find something in between- a balancing act."

Vandu didn't know how to react. She stared with a confused expression. Thankfully the priest called everyone for the aarti at that moment. Archana noticed that Damodar Baba had come but Savita Aai was still missing.

"What did I miss?" he asked. "You missed the sthapna in the morning. Baba where were you?" asked Manav with a frown. Damodar gave a sheepish smile, and Manav shook his head in irritation.

After the aarti was done, everyone sat down together on the mats that had been laid down in front of the chawl, and the schedule for the activities of the next few days was declared by the Chawl Committee. As everyone had predicted, there were some special functions to be held in the evenings, usually after 8, since that was when most people were back at home after work, and some competitions to be held in the holiday mornings for the women and children. A function for performances by the children, a Rangoli and Mehndi competition, games for little children, drawing and painting competitions, an Antakshari competition for teams- the announcements got instant applause as soon as they came out from the mouth of the old Uncles. The people chatted away and had to be silenced from time to time. While Vandita thought hard about whether to perform or not and on what to perform, Archana hoped to shine in the Rangoli and Mehndi competitions. She really wanted to socialize with the chawl dwellers now.

"What will you take part in?" Manav asked Vedant.

"Drawing competition, and Antakshari..  but wait, Sachin Dada is not there this time.. well I'll take part with you, if you don't form a team with Vahini, that is.." he added in a small voice.

"Ah no, let's see, there's time for that.." said Manav. He was thankful that the festivities had managed to drag everyone out of the usual tension and look forward to something more exciting for a change. He didn't know how long it would last though.

Alas, he didn't know that his worst fears were going to come true, very soon.

After some more chatting, eating Prasad, and singing Ganesh Stotra together, the people started getting up to go back to their houses. Vandita and Vedant too got up to go to the house, while Manav and Archana and Baba slowly followed from behind, discussing about the day.

When they reached their house however, they got the shock of their life.

At the doorway, there was a suitcase and a large bag. It seemed to have been hurriedly stuffed with clothes, some of the cloth could be seen coming out of the suitcase.

"These are my things." Said Archana, her face turning pale. She looked at Manav who had turned red with anger. He picked up her suitcase. "Come, let's go in." he said, walking towards the door. Archana exchanged a worried look with Damodar Baba.

A voice stopped Manav as soon as he entered the house. "One minute Manav, this girl will not set foot in this house!!"

Aai was standing with her hands on her hips, fuming with rage. She gave Archana a dirty look.

"Why?" asked Manav, struggling to maintain his cool.

"Because I have decided, that is why!"

"But what did she do?" asked Damodar.

"She opened my locker!! She stole stuff from it. And then she insulted me in front of the chawl!! I told that no one will participate in the chawl function, but still she participated- she was there mingling with everyone and embarrassing us even more after that police complaint! I will not let this girl live in my house, aye you! Get out!! And take your luggage else I will keep it near the garbage dump!"

More lies!- thought Manav, rolling his eyes at the 'insult claims' in the chawl. And what were you doing yourself, he thought angrily.

Archana tried to speak. "Aai I know you are angry, but please try and understand.."

"GET OUT!!!" Savita hollered, taking angry steps towards her. "Or do you want me to throw you out???"

"As if you will throw her out and I and Baba will be watching with helpless faces, tears running down her cheeks." Said Manav in a tart, mocking voice. Savita gave an angry look. "You don't interfere, this is between me and her!"

"It's not. And.."

Archana pulled Manav by the arm, noticing he was getting angry now. "Manav please let me talk."

"You let me speak!" he said in an annoyed voice. She backed off and looked at Damodar Baba. He told her to take cue from him and not interfere in the mother-son fight. Archana watched worriedly.

"Baba gave her keys to open the locker." He said calmly, crossing his arms. "And I told the kids not to pay attention to what you said to them. Now speak."

Savita went wild with fury. "You did it!?!" she shrieked. "I cannot believe you are so much under her influence that you actually could go against me.. I had told that no one will go! And I cannot believe you are supporting her inspite of knowing she was wrong- she took out things from my locker without my permission!!"

"Even I could not believe you would be troubling my wife around so much that you would actually not even give her her mangalsutra! I know you still have all her jewellery and have no plans to ever return them! As if the dowry was not enough to satisfy you! And wow, you actually dared to repeat your behavior towards Archana! Even after the police complaint you have not changed. And then instead of admitting your own mistakes, you go around blaming others when they retaliate in a situation gone out of control."

"Excellent!" said Savita, clapping her hands. "Now the 'ideal son' is here to give me a lecture! Supporting his wife who brought doom to this house but not the mother who raised him. Wah! What an ideal son!"

"It is futile to reason with you or talk to you." Manav retorted."I don't know why I even try."

That was enough to get Savita all fired up. "Well don't talk to me then! I don't need you!" she yelled. "GET OUT!! BOTH OF YOU! Immediately NOWW!!!"

Manav looked at her in shock. "You are throwing ME out of this house?" he asked in a bewildered voice. "After troubling me so much, wreaking havoc on my life, you are now asking me to get out of MY HOME?"

Behind, Vandita was scared. Vedant hurried up ahead- "Aai no, please.."

"Get inside, quick! Don't speak in between. This is an adult matter." Vedant gave his Aai an angry look. Adult matter- sure! What about when she had been trying to instigate Vandita against Archana and asking both of them to support her against Manav? Had it not been an adult matter then? He did not say anything but anger started creeping up in his heart.

"And you, ten minutes to pack your luggage, else I will throw you out without anything." She said flatly.

Manav was totally out of control now. He rushed forward agitatedly, even as Archana tried to hold him back. "ONE MINUTE!!!" he thundered. "I am NOT leaving this house! I have slogged for 16 years, and earned for this house! I have wasted my future for this house- you can't make me homeless now! This is my house! I have made it! I will not leave it just because someone wants me to. I am good, but I am not foolish!"

Archana slapped her forehead in desperation. Mother- son were alike in some ways. They could really bring the house upside down when they went ballistic. And today was one of those rare days when both of them seemed to be having a scream fest.

"Oh ho! Slogged for 16 years!" Taunted Savita. "Well, remember one thing Manav, this is not just YOUR house. You would never have been able to manage this house and this family all these years if I hadn't been there! I have run this house on your meagre earnings, in all bad conditions, even when you were small and couldn't support us I have run this house! All on my own! So don't you dare claim this is YOUR house. In all fairness this is MY house!"

"Aai, Manav, please!" Archana tried to speak. "Please don't fight. You know the NGO people are keeping tabs on me and all of you to check up on your behavior. Aai, if you throw me out you will get into trouble."

"I DON'T CARE!!" shouted Aai. "I just want you out! And him too!" she pointed at Manav. "I will NOT leave! Do what you want to!" he retorted, just as Archana tried to shush him.

"You are being unreasonable right now Aai, think with a calm head and you will realize what catastrophe you are unleashing on everyone. Stop your childish anger now." Archana said firmly. Manav opened his mouth to speak but Archana requested him with her eyes not to butt in and spoil the matter now.

Savita slowly calmed down and realized what Archana was saying was right- the NGO people would really take her to task if they came to know that she had thrown Archana out. She looked at Archana rubbing her hand on Manav's arm to calm him. Savita gritted her teeth. She hated this girl.

"Enough of all this!" said Damodar finally, shaking his head.  "Not a word on this issue now. Everyone quietly come for dinner."

"No dinner today." Said Savita in a half sullen, half angry voice with a pinch of pain. "I won't be able to eat after everything that has happened today. My son.. I raised him up lovingly and today.. he has gone blind and is doing all wrong things.. troubling me, hurting me.." She scrunched up her face to cry.

Guilt trip again!- Manav rolled his eyes. "Well, I am in full mood to eat today." He said, walking to the dining table and pulling a chair for himself dramatically. He sat on it. "I have had a long day at work, just so that I can earn some money for my family. I'm tired and veryyy hungry. And I'm not going to sleep on an empty stomach just cos some people chose to give me a guilt trip. I'm not punishing myself endlessly cos of others- I'm done with all that now and frankly speaking now I'm tired of it."

Savita's mouth fell open. Damodar gave a smirk, which did not go unnoticed by Savita. She fumed. "Of course Manav," he said, going and sitting with him. "Those who chose to make themselves unhappy can stay that way. I too am very hungry. I will also eat."

Manav looked at Vedant. "Will you be eating as well?"

Savita gave an angry look to Vedant.  "Yes," he said, clearing his throat. "I have to study tonight, cos there will be functions in the upcoming days."

"Good, what about you Vandita?"

Vandita looked shocked. She fumbled, looking at her Aai questioningly. Damodar piped in- "Of course she will also eat! The children shouldn't go to sleep on an empty stomach for whatever reason! Come now beta, come and sit!"

Vandita looked confused. She went and quietly sat on the dining table with a guilty face. Archana went and stood near the dining table too. Savita was left standing alone in the centre of the room, while the whole Deshmukh family, (barring Sachin) sat together. Damodar gave her a victorious smirk. Savita stamped her foot angrily and went into her room. She closed the door as angry tears flowed through her eyes. Great!- she thought- None of my family members support me. Everyone is on Archana's side. She wished Sachin had been with her in the house- he would have definitely supported his Aai. Alas! Thanks to her scheming and plotting, Sachin was gone and she had no news of him. In fact all her past deeds were backfiring on her now. Yes she had taken Archana's jewellery and mangalsutra, and she had honestly no plans to return them, but she had never thought that both Archana and Manav would speak up against it, and that the rest of the family members would support them. She had never thought that Manav would go against her decision without even having a discussion with her, or would support Archana against her. She had never thought that a day would come when both she and Manav would fight regarding the house- it was a fact that the family had survived all these years because of BOTH of them, because of their team, not because of one person. An upset Savita sat on the floor and began to weep.

Outside, everyone was sitting in silence. Manav looked at Archana. "Dinner?" he asked.

"Umm yeah.." she said uncomfortably. "But I can't make dinner so soon, it will take at least 15 minutes, and you are all sitting on the dining table as if the food is going to appear magically out of somewhere.. umm.. don't you all have to wash or something."

Manav felt sheepish. In the over enthusiasm of the fight and his own dramatic behavior, he had forgotten about washing and freshening up. "Yeah I'll go and clean up." He said, while Vedant tried to suppress a smile. Vandita gave him an irritated look. How could this duffer giggle when her Aai was so upset- she thought. Her face turned worried again as she thought about her Aai.

"I hope you have made something good for all of us today Archana." Called out Damodar. "It's a festival after all. Those who want to mope and cry and fight on this day also, we can do nothing about them, but the rest of us should enjoy na, not suffer!" Archana passed a small smile.

"Good! So you make some lovely dinner, till then we can discuss our plans for the coming week!" said Damodar cheerfully, trying to change the serious mood. Satisfied that her father-in- law was there to help calm things down, Archana walked into the kitchen. She had her ingredients prepared from the morning. She quickly got down to make the stuff- thick and sweet puran polis, kadhi and simple rice with ghee on top. 20 minutes later, she was ready with the stuff, when Vandita came there. "Baba told me to help you."

"It's all done," Archana smiled. "Just carry the bowls outside, while I come with the plates."

Manav returned a little while later, with wet hair. Apparently he had had a bath to calm himself. His head must be aching again- Archana thought. He also looked more quiet and serious now. She served food to everyone, and everyone helped themselves too. Manav's eyes were on the door of his mother's bedroom.

"Some more kadhi Manav?"

"Huh?" asked Manav, distracted. "Uh.. yeah, serve it." He said, his eyes still on the door. He looked at his plate, playing with the spoon, but he had no heart to eat. It was as if he had lost his appetite. He remembered Vandu's words telling him that Aai did not eat properly these days.

"Is the food okay?"

"Yes.." he said absent mindedly, and noticed everyone staring at him. It was then that he remembered he hadn't started eating at all. He immediately broke off a piece of the puran poli and put it in his mouth. "It's nice." He said, passing a small smile to her. She was still standing next to him. "Sit na!"

She sat slowly on the chair next to him, feeling a little weird. She looked around herself. Baba was at the head of the dining table, Vandu and Vedant opposite her and Manav. Vandita looked worried and Vedant was just nodding without any attention as such to their father. Even Manav looked distracted.

"It's so nice that we are all sitting together to eat today." Remarked Baba. "I don't remember the last time we had a meal together."

Everyone smiled uncomfortably. Yes, it was the first time the family was sitting together to eat since so many days, and that was a very good sign, but something seemed amiss.

Archana finally spoke up. "Vandita, go and give this plate to Aai." She said. "If you talk to her she will eat."

Vandu started getting up, but Vedant pulled her by the arm, making her sit again. "Don't go now!" he whispered. "Aai will take out all her anger on you. You don't go right now."

"Vedant is right." Manav said gruffly. He took the plate from Archana's hands. "Let me go and settle this."

"Manav please, no more arguments now.." Archana started.

"She will shout at you Manav," said Baba. "You don't enrage her right now."

"It's good." He said matter of factly. "Instead of arguing back I will simply listen to all her angry talks for once and get done with it. Once she takes out all her anger, she will feel better and the house will also be more peaceful. That is what she wanted anyway. That is why she wanted to throw me out of the house today."

Everyone watched awkwardly as Manav made his way towards Aai's bedroom and knocked on the door. "Who is it?" she asked.

"Me."

There was silence for a few minutes and then she opened the door and turned away. "What is it?" she asked in a tart voice.

"I've brought dinner." He said quietly. She didn't reply. He took in a deep breath. "Don't take out your anger on the food. Take it out on me if you want and end it today."

"Things are not alright between us and probably will never be the same- such squabbles are a part of our life now I think, will you keep starving every day till then?"

She did not answer again, and he continued speaking. "I couldn't care less about your guilt trips, but all of us are concerned about your health. You haven't been eating properly since some days now, Vandu told me yesterday. You are angry with me, don't take it out on the other people please."

No answer.

He grew agitated. "Fine! I am sorry. I shouldn't have asked the kids to go against you without discussing the matter with you first. But frankly speaking I thought there was no point in discussing, cos it seems impossible for us to have a peaceful discussion these days. I was angry at you already and it compounded when I came to know you're poisoning the kids against me and Archana, dictating the kids and pretty much everyone. I'm tired of all this and I want some peace in the house now but your actions guarantee that I will never get it. And I want the kids to have a normal life too. If you feel embarrassed to face people due to the complaint, it is understandable, but don't let the kids suffer for something they are not involved in. I never had a normal childhood and youth, at least let them have it! Don't push the buttons of everyone in the house. And for god's sake stop instigating others."

He took a deep breath. "Let's end the matter here. I said sorry also. Now please eat!"

He kept the food on the bed and walked away.

As he walked away, Savita looked back at him with tears in her eyes. Slowly she walked to the edge of the bed where he had kept the plate. Despite everything gone horribly wrong between them, he still cared for her somewhere, she could see it. If he had taken Archana's side in the argument, then he had also come and apologized to her solely to satisfy her elder ego, by making her win the argument, so that she could eat dinner. There was no other reason. He might have been very hurt over everything she had done in the past and today also, but he still cared for her. She had known it all along- Manav could never hate her whatever might be the case. And this was the reason she hated Archana more than ever- if Archana had not been in the picture, Manav would have forgiven her. He would have been hurt, just like today, but still tried to put everything behind and move on, she thought.

"I won't lose my son to you Archana Karanjkar." She thought angrily, as she put a morsel into her mouth. "I will get him back."

Outside the Deshmukh family was finishing dinner. The ambience had improved considerably after Manav came back from Aai's room. Baba had continued talking and prodding everyone to speak, and finally succeeded in lifting everyone out of their gloomy moods. By the time dinner was done, Vedant and Vandita were discussing the events to be held next week in the chawl, with Manav and Archana joining in at times.

As everyone started getting up, they were startled by Savita who entered the room and banged a bunch of keys on the table.

"All of you obviously don't need me." She said. "All of you are grown up enough to make your own decisions, decide for yourself what you want, whom you want to support (she gave Archana a nasty look). Okay then, run the house by yourself. From today, I will not run the house. Washing, cooking, cleaning- nothing I will do. I think all of you can manage well without me now that she is here."

And she walked away, just as suddenly as she had come. Now they would understand her importance, she thought!

Everyone was stunned into silence for a few minutes. "What was that?" asked Vedant. Vandita shook her head. "I have no clue."

"I can never understand you Manav!"

Manav looked at Archana who had entered the room, wiping her hands on a napkin after washing the vessels.

"Why what happened?"

She rested on the back of the bed. "You can be so impulsive one moment, and calm and collected some moments later. Today toh, you totally blew me away. First you argued with Aai, then got all dramatic, then yourself behaved maturedly by going and apologizing and convincing her to eat. You are weird."

"Aadat  daal  lo!" (Get habituated) Manav said flatly with a smirk. "Of course you don't know me fully. It is one thing to fall in love in 13 days (Archana rolled her eyes: Oh the sarcasm, she thought) or when you are living separately meeting only for half an hour every day, it is a different thing to LIVE day in and day out with someone under one roof. The real relationship starts when two people start living together, it is then that they start understanding each other in true sense."

"True." She said, remembering how witnessing Manav's behavior ever since she had come back had led her to feel that he wasn't guilty of all the wrong doings he had been accused of. That reminded her- she had to speak to Vaishali whether she had been able to find something regarding Varsha!

She looked back at Manav. "Are you still upset about whatever happened between you and Aai today?"

"I'm not thinking about it."

"You can't lie to me." She persisted. "It's okay if you don't want to talk about it, but at least don't lie to me."

"There's nothing like that." He said. "I'm genuinely not thinking about it now. At least that's what I'm trying to do. It's pointless to ponder over everything. The way things have been going, it's quite obvious there are going to be little tiffs and big squabbles everyday. That is why I had started considering living separately, inspite of the fact that I didn't want it. I can see now why everyone was saying that it would be a good idea to separate. Somewhere even the kids are being forced to choose and I don't like that."

He looked at her. She was listening with rapt attention and looked very thoughtful.

"You don't want to sleep or what?" asked Manav, patting his pillow. She nodded. "Yes, I'll change and come.

She went to the cupboard and took out her clothes. She then went in the bathroom, while Manav busied himself in trying to read some papers. A moment later, however she was back.

"You have made the bathroom so wet!" she complained.

"Obviously!" he said. "I just had a bath, so obviously the bathroom is not going to be dry." He kept reading the paper, when he saw Archana was still standing there with a confused face, with a hint of discomfort. "What happened now?" he asked.

She muttered something.

"What?"

"I have to change." She said, evading his eyes.

He turned red. Quietly he put the paper down and lay down on his side with his back to her, his heart beating fast. He tried to think of something else, and looked here and there, only to find himself staring at the mirror. He quickly closed his eyes tightly. πŸ˜† The noise of the rustling of the clothes and the bangles made him uncomfortable.

Archana changed quietly, and then walked to the other side of the bed. She giggled when she saw Manav lying down with his eyes closed so tightly and his face tensed. She walked closer to him and sat down on the bed. He didn't notice. She tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

"HUH!" Manav got up with a shudder, sending her into giggles again. He smiled at his own behavior as he watched Archana laugh. "What is this?" he asked, staring at her clothes.

She adjusted the neck of her caftan. "Umm.. I just thought that since I'm going to live here only now, so I should make myself a little comfortable.. it is very taxing to sleep in a saree.. it's okay na if I wear this.. I mean.. I will only wear it in our bedroom, not in front of other family members.."

"Huh? Yeah sure, no problem." He said. She gave him a grateful smile as she walked off. His eyes followed her as she walked away. The mango coloured caftan that she was wearing went well with her fair skin. It highlighted her curves subtly and softly, and she looked more relaxed and at home- not the right feeling for him, he reminded himself. This girl had come back purely for sympathy reasons and still didn't trust him- who knew when she would come in Ajit's talks or some other proof and move out of the house again, leaving him high and dry. He had better not get ideas into his head only to fall flat on his face again, he told himself, and sighed.

So close, yet so far!

But one thing was for sure- for whatever few days she was in the house, she was going to make it very tough for him, he thought a little uneasily. After all, it was not easy to share a room with a beautiful woman who looked like an angel, talked softly, touched hands or shoulder while talking, was so concerned about him,  and most importantly, whom he loved-- and yet remain unaffected and aloof from her! It would have been so good if she had followed his advice and gone back to her Aai, he thought. Whose stupid idea had it been to let Archana live in the house, whose stupid idea? Clearly the person had no idea how difficult he had made things for poor Manav, thought Manav, sympathizing with himself as he closed his eyes and tried to get some sleep.

Ah well, he thought- Aadat daalni padegi! (will have to get habituated)

"Manav.."

He opened his eyes to see Archana peering over him. "What is it now?" he asked.

"You have to go to the doctor tomorrow. You have an appointment."

"Ah yes!" he said. "Thanks for reminding."

"Has the doctor told anything about the surgery, when it will be done, etc."

"Archana there are a number of patients in waiting. They decide on the basis of seriousness of case. My case is comparatively less complicated.. and anyway all my tests have not been done till now.. they will decide soon.. I guess tomorrow.."

"The tests must be expensive, right?"

"MRI is expensive. But I made some cash today so it's okay."

He noticed that she looked a little worried. "What happened?"

"Manav, let me come with you to the doctor tomorrow.."

He was alarmed. "Archana, no!"

"Please.."

"Archana please, I can go by myself.."

"But I want to be there with you.."

"Archana, trust me, it will be better if you don't come, you will start crying in front of the doctor.."

"I won't cry." She promised. "I will be very strong." She noticed Manav staring doubtfully at her. "What?" she asked.

He put his finger on her cheek and picked up a tear drop. He balanced it on his finger and showed it to her, as it glistened like a pearl.

"Oh that.. that just came out by mistake.." she said, wiping it up quickly.

"Yes, tomorrow also it will come out by mistake, that is why I'm saying, let me go alone to the doctor.."

"Please Manav.."

"NO!"

She looked away from him grumpily. Then she turned back and said- "Take someone else with you at least."

"Who else is there? No one else knows."

"Then tell them!"

"Later Archana.." he said. "Not right now. Let things settle down a little, let the test results come out, let the surgery date be decided, after that. There is no point in worrying them in advance."

Yes- she knew Manav would say this. She remembered that Tarun had also told her that owing to his past experience, Manav had somewhere stopped keeping big expectations from anyone in his family. All the same, she felt uneasy with his decision. Somehow she didn't feel all of it was going in the right way. All these things, they added up somewhere, she felt, but she couldn't figure out how.

"Slept?"

She shook her head and turned to face Manav again.

"Listen, don't be worried regarding my illness. Your being tensed is not going to change things. Preserve your strength and be patient. I'm telling you, don't get involved very seriously in the problems of the house also. Try and stay away from Aai as much as possible. That reminds me- when are you going to rejoin school?"

"School?" she repeated. "Night school?"

"Yes. You haven't gone to school a single day ever since you came back!"

"I know." She said sheepishly. "There was so much problem here  so..I'll go from tomorrow."

"Promise?"

"Yes. But I want one from you too."

"What?"

"Keep me informed the whole time. Phone me from the hospital also, please?"

She looked so pensive and affected that Manav was touched. He patted her head lightly and and tried to give his best reassuring smile. "Don't worry, I will keep you informed. I will phone you before going and I will tell you whatever the doctor tells too. Happy now?"

She wasn't happy as such, but she nodded anyway. Manav turned on his side and slept with his back to her again, wondering what was more difficult for him to ignore- her physical presence, or her emotional involvement in his life.

Maybe both!

"One for me also."

Archana was taken aback to see Damodar Baba entering the kitchen early in the morning. She quickly adjusted her hair and her sari and smiled respectfully at him.

"Yes Baba I will make tea for you also. I was just about to make some more for Manav."

"Where is he?"

"He is in the line, he is filling buckets." She said, a little disappointed. She didn't like it that Manav worked so much. Then again, it helped to keep him occupied and not be depressed, she thought.

"Did you remove the idol of Ganesha from this plate?" Baba asked her. "I had filled it with water and kept the idol in it, to ask God to help us out of this troubled times."

"Yes, I removed it day before yesterday. Ganesha Chaturthi was there, after all. And anyway, God has done what he could have done." Said Archana philosophically, reflecting on how the truth that Manav had tried to hide from her had come out just in time, and she had also stopped the divorce, plus the whole harassment complaint issue which could have broken Manav and her relation forever, but had not. "God can just give us a direction, it is for us to follow it and make it yield positive results. And I think Ganpati Bappa has given us the directions which we are supposed to follow."

Baba smiled at her. "Good you removed it.. now that the grihalakshmi is back, things will get on track slowly.. I'm glad things are somewhat coming back to normalcy in this house." Said Damodar Baba.

Archana smiled thoughtfully. "Normalcy?" she asked. "Somehow I feel we are far from normalcy."

"I know that." He admitted. "But at least it was a good start. The festival went well yesterday, the children mingled and we were all happy, except for Savita's shouting and screeching all went well, and that is anyway not going to end anytime soon. We might as well learn to ignore it." He said matter of factly.

Archana found it a little weird. "Baba," she said a little hesitantly. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"I hope you will not take offence.."

"Archana, go on!"

"Baba, why don't you talk to Manav and Aai and sort out their matter?" she asked slowly. "You are the only one who can do it. You are close to both, you are the eldest in the house and.."

".. and I'm also the one whose opinions are usually disregarded in this house." Laughed Damodar Baba at himself.

"But Baba, you are elder to both of them, if you sternly ask them not to fight and instead settle their matter, then things will fall into place. You are the only one who can control both of them. Instead of supporting Manav so strongly against Savita Aai and making her more angry, you need to end this fight between them. It is important to resolve the situation so that no one has to take sides."

"You really think I have that much authority or influence in this house Archana?" asked Baba sadly. He tried to explain. "See beta, let me tell you something that you do not know properly in this house, since you haven't lived here and you are as good as new in this family. In this house, people respect me, speak well of me, encourage me in my ventures and so on. But I do not have a good amount of influence on them, or their decisions. You see, I have been less involved in the house all these years due to my alcoholism and theatre. I neither provided for the house, nor did I give any sort of emotional support to the members- I haven't been a good example to them.. So.. I have.. basically.. lost my place in this house."

Archana felt bad. "It's not true Baba, I don't think it's true, Manav speaks highly of you."

"Oh I know he does! He respects me and loves me since I'm his father, but I don't have an influence on his decisions like Savita had, or his Atya has. Similar is the case with other children. The children don't take my advices seriously everytime, but anything Manav or Savita tell them is always considered. Let me give you an example: Nobody took me seriously when I wanted a lavish wedding for you and Manav since you are the first DIL of this house. I and Atya alone made the plans- thankfully I had Atya with me for support at that time. Nobody took me seriously when I told Manav not to quit studies. Nobody took me seriously when I kept telling Manav that he shouldn't divorce you. And even now, when I told Manav to not leave you, he was ready to protest and eventually accepted my advice half willingly cos Tarun said the same as I said. He even blurted out that he lives in reality, not in daydreams like me. And let's not start about Savita, she never listens to me anyway."

Baba laughed out aloud. Archana felt more and more embarrassed by the minute.

"I have no one to blame for all this except myself." Baba continued. "Somehow my thinking does not appeal to them, maybe cos my thinking has only made me a failure in life. Or maybe as Manav says, my advice are easy to give but difficult to follow. Don't know what the case is.. I did try to convince Savita but it did not work out... I can try once again, but I myself doubt it will have any effect.

"Manav needs your support now Baba." Archana said quietly.

"I know." Agreed Baba. "He is going through  a difficult patch of his life personally and financially and I'm with him all through. He has my support against Savita."

"I was not speaking of that sort of support." She continued. "I don't think that the divisions in the house, the 'taking sides against Savita Aai fights' are supporting Manav in any way. They are just worsening things for him."

Damodar Baba could not understand it. "Why Archana, what happened?"

She did not reply for a few minutes. Baba felt worried. "Archana is everything alright?"

"Nothing is alright." She said.

And that was the first time in her life when Archana openly disobeyed Manav.

Damodar Baba sat with his head in his hands, speechless.

"Manav asked me not to tell anyone, he wanted some more tests to be done first." Archana continued. "But I think it is important for everyone to know all this- yesterday Savita Aai was ready to throw Manav out of the house! Sachin too needs to know all this- Manav will be admitted to the hospital soon and it won't be an easy time for all of us, we really need the whole family to fight everything together now, Sachin too needs to fulfill his responsibilities now. That is why I'm telling you to talk to Aai. Tell her about Manav's condition also if necessary. Tell her to stop making things difficult for him every day. Manav might not express it but he was pretty upset over everything that happened yesterday. He cannot afford to take any more stress now- he already has a lot on his head."

Baba was silent for a little while more. "He did not tell me also." He said after sometime. "He didn't tell anyone. He again made me feel sorry for being a bad father."

"It's not like that Baba." Said Archana quickly.

"It is like that." Said Baba. "He could rely on Tarun but not on us. If my son cannot come to me in his difficult times it means somewhere I have failed- I know only this much."

He got up and turned to walk away. Archana watched him go with a sad expression. Would this revelation prove fruitful? Would it actually motivate Baba to take a strong stand for the first time and actually be a pillar of support to the family? Would it make him determined enough to solve the problems between Aai and Manav, would he try to explain to her what Manav was going through and that she needed to stop making things difficult for him or giving him guilt trips?

Or would Baba revert back to his alcohol, like he usually did when he was depressed?

Archana sighed to herself. Maybe it hadn't been such a good idea, she mused.

XXX

Okay, so that was part 75! Waiting for your comments and feedback. Have a nice weekend.

Thank you very much Nikita for the update πŸ€—
Though I hav always been a silent reader of ur FF n just hit the like button,  this is the first time I m commenting on yr thread. Its always a pleasure reading ur FF than watching the depressing PR on TV. 
I thoroughly enjoy ur update. 
Actually I was fearing that Vedanrt will be angry on Manav for whatever happen between him n his aai , but thank god he actually behave very maturely than the elderly. 
Savita Aai what to sayShe still has a belief that separating Manav and Archana will help her to regain the position in Manav life. 
Regarding Archana and Manav relation, Archana has to do some more hard work to pacify Manav regardless of whatever happen in-between them earlier. 
I was actually smiling throughout  Arman moments, u capture it so well. I can well imagine the shy Manav. 
Now I m worried about Manav reaction when he will come to know that Archana has actually told his baba about his illness without his consent. 
Will actually Archana's step helps in sorting the issue between Manav and his aai is a million dollar question now? πŸ˜†
JUst a request can't Aatya come in the story now, no matter how much Archu say that she will handle aai in her own but manav will always be in fear of his aai behavior toward so I guess he can at least be sure that everything is alright with Archana when he is not around. I guess Aatya is the only person who can handle Sabita aai at the moment. 

Overall a worth waiting update
Thank u once again Nikita. Hoping to get an early update soon. Ya i know I m greedy 😳but what to do this is the only way out from the current PR situationπŸ˜ƒ

Regards
Shovana
Wow ..as usual very nice update!!!
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ 
I liked strong Archana against Savita !!
So vedant is no issue for Archana, soon after festival hoping Vandita will also suppport Archana whole-hertedly. Nice to see Damodar views too and hoping he will atleast now be of some help to Manav.

I thought you said it was a very long update but when I completed reading I wanted to read more!!!
Again waiting for your next update :)
Dear Nikki.

How are you? couldn't visit PR forum regularly due to work.Hope everything goes well on your side.

Many  Many Hugs πŸ€— to you for this wonderful update...And Muvaas to you for making me relieved from the awful day I had.πŸ€—

As you said in your synopsis before posting part 75,it had all , surprises ,Shocks ,Hope and a platform laid for future parts.

Liked all and the way you have put each one. as Always admire your writing...πŸ‘ πŸ‘...

Yes ,part was lengthy, more efforts from your side, but then kya karoon...As a fan of your FF and as a reader always my heart longs for even more... 😳

Ok,Now coming to main thing ,the part 75,

The surprise and the good feel was the one archu talking back to sav aai and archu with guts taking her MS and wearing it...wow I liked it very much. It was a surprise package.And in the entire part I liked archu. Typical archu I would wish to see. Not hiding matters either to manav or family. First thing is  she has brain and thinks correctly which the actual PR archu lacks.

Vedhant being a silent spectator and supporting his dada and understand situations and he not being  anger at archu ,I was relieved...feeling good there.
Vandu doesnt like arcu,thats bound to happen as savita is her mom,obviously she wil feel bad for her mom...But hopefully wish that she soon changes her mind and Join the supportive system for manav.Hopefully wish that vandita understands and both archu & vandu have a nice time with her preparation for chawl functions.

Is the children going to be on archu's side first  or whom, savita ???
Highly doubt savita as she still doesnt feel remorse for her doings  and still doesnt want to have good terms with archu... But then there might be the case , she changes herself after hearing manav's illness...

About savita aai- dont know what to say, why cant she understand whats going on, and think what was her fault and the remedy for it. stii she blames and put guilt trip on other. will being aware of  manav's condition from damo baba  will help her to change.

Then comes the favorite cute ARMAN parts.
From the place Manav noticing her and the difference in her appearance, the feel HIS WIFE and again the fear ,oh how long will it sustain, I should not be carried off,  whenever I heard this dialogue and feel from manav,I think, oh god when will this Guy will come to know that archu is to be forever with him and she too loves him always...I wish to see that cute smile on his face and the Blush or tears he will have when he comes to know about that.

hmmm...These days archu too speaks so comfortable with him , the way she answered cutely to him,that when she was unmarried also she keep this fast for a good husband and isn't it happened... and manav smiling and a little blush...Liked all those.

Then their scene in the room...Manav na so cute...

Their Aarti and the talk on food are good and could visualize that and the one pic you posted was picture perfect...

Ok Nikki, the new entry you were talking about is DHARMESH jaipurwala😲, when I heard that name only that fatty dharmu comes to mind ,couldn't help it...actual shock for me in this update was this name πŸ˜†...I hate that name only...
Ok, Here what role he is to play...Help manav in his garage problems, will that storing prove any hlp,profit or credibility to him????...

The pictures posted were so nice Niki... ARMAN alies Sushita looks too good. Miss them...πŸ˜”
Of course will ignore the Karanjkars in Backgound...Do you have to say, Its default.
And I always visualize them as out of focus...πŸ˜ƒ...Not in your FF, in actual PR I hate them to the core...

Asusual worth the wait...Enjoyed reading it...Thanks...
And asusual me too tried to write a essay as a reply 😳

Waiting very eagerly for the next part as this part has opened some issues and made us think...or get hooked...

Whats going to be the doctor's diagnosis, will family memebers come to know about that through damo bab, what where their reactions, what is going to archu's upcoming efforts, will she do better and succeed, what will be manav's reaction for archu telling hi condition to damo baba even after manav telling not to. Savita aai's reacion... sachin and varsha' issuw...

So waiting eagerly...Please update soon Dear...You are the saving grace for us or saviour for us.

Update it soon on Your convenience .Till then will wait...

Bye.😊

Edited by umayal - 12 years ago
Originally posted by shovanashrestha

Thank you very much Nikita for the update πŸ€—
Though I hav always been a silent reader of ur FF n just hit the like button,  this is the first time I m commenting on yr thread. Its always a pleasure reading ur FF than watching the depressing PR on TV. Hi Shovana! Yes, I always notice that you click like button. I'm glad you commented today, even  more glad that you enjoy the FF.
I thoroughly enjoy ur update. 
Actually I was fearing that Vedanrt will be angry on Manav for whatever happen between him n his aai , but thank god he actually behave very maturely than the elderly. Someone, I think Lunza, wrote once that Vedant is going to be Manav part 2, mature, sensitive and all. Wait and see if it turns out that way!πŸ˜ƒ
Savita Aai what to sayShe still has a belief that separating Manav and Archana will help her to regain the position in Manav life. 
Regarding Archana and Manav relation, Archana has to do some more hard work to pacify Manav regardless of whatever happen in-between them earlier. 
I was actually smiling throughout  Arman moments, u capture it so well. I can well imagine the shy Manav. I love shy Manav! Sushant used to enact it so well, I used to go aww...
Now I m worried about Manav reaction when he will come to know that Archana has actually told his baba about his illness without his consent. 
Will actually Archana's step helps in sorting the issue between Manav and his aai is a million dollar question now? πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†That is why I wrote earlier that there will be a lot to speculate in this part. Keep guessing!
JUst a request can't Aatya come in the story now, no matter how much Archu say that she will handle aai in her own but manav will always be in fear of his aai behavior toward so I guess he can at least be sure that everything is alright with Archana when he is not around. I guess Aatya is the only person who can handle Sabita aai at the moment. 
πŸ‘πŸΌYou are thinking along the story! Actually, earlier I wanted to bring Atya back in this part only, but then I decided to wait for the right moment.πŸ˜‰

Overall a worth waiting update-----πŸ˜ƒ
Thank u once again Nikita. Hoping to get an early update soon. Ya i know I m greedy 😳but what to do this is the only way out from the current PR situationπŸ˜ƒ

Regards
Shovana
Originally posted by rad4dev

Wow ..as usual very nice update!!!Thankyou, thankyou!πŸ˜ƒ
πŸ‘ 
I liked strong Archana against Savita !!
So vedant is no issue for Archana, soon after festival hoping Vandita will also suppport Archana whole-hertedly. Nice to see Damodar views too and hoping he will atleast now be of some help to Manav.

I thought you said it was a very long update but when I completed reading I wanted to read more!!! Don't you guys get tired of these long updates? Even IF refuses to accept such long posts!πŸ˜†
Again waiting for your next update :) 
Originally posted by umayal

Dear Nikki.

How are you? couldn't visit PR forum regularly due to work.Hope everything goes well on your side.Hi Umi!πŸ€— I'm fine and enjoying as always!😎

Many  Many Hugs πŸ€— to you for this wonderful update...And Muvaas to you for making me relieved from the awful day I had.πŸ€—You're welcome Umi!

As you said in your synopsis before posting part 75,it had all , surprises ,Shocks ,Hope and a platform laid for future parts.

Liked all and the way you have put each one. as Always admire your writing...πŸ‘ πŸ‘...

Yes ,part was lengthy, more efforts from your side, but then kya karoon...As a fan of your FF and as a reader always my heart longs for even more... 😳

Ok,Now coming to main thing ,the part 75,

The surprise and the good feel was the one archu talking back to sav aai and archu with guts taking her MS and wearing it...wow I liked it very much. It was a surprise package.And in the entire part I liked archu. Typical archu I would wish to see. Not hiding matters either to manav or family. First thing is  she has brain and thinks correctly which the actual PR archu lacks.Your line- "She has brains" made me laugh for some reason.πŸ˜†

Vedhant being a silent spectator and supporting his dada and understand situations and he not being  anger at archu ,I was relieved...feeling good there.
Vandu doesnt like arcu,thats bound to happen as savita is her mom,obviously she wil feel bad for her mom...But hopefully wish that she soon changes her mind and Join the supportive system for manav.Hopefully wish that vandita understands and both archu & vandu have a nice time with her preparation for chawl functions.

Is the children going to be on archu's side first  or whom, savita ???
Highly doubt savita as she still doesnt feel remorse for her doings  and still doesnt want to have good terms with archu... But then there might be the case , she changes herself after hearing manav's illness...

About savita aai- dont know what to say, why cant she understand whats going on, and think what was her fault and the remedy for it. stii she blames and put guilt trip on other. will being aware of  manav's condition from damo baba  will help her to change.

Then comes the favorite cute ARMAN parts.
From the place Manav noticing her and the difference in her appearance, the feel HIS WIFE and again the fear ,oh how long will it sustain, I should not be carried off,  whenever I heard this dialogue and feel from manav,I think, oh god when will this Guy will come to know that archu is to be forever with him and she too loves him always...I wish to see that cute smile on his face and the Blush or tears he will have when he comes to know about that.That scene will come in some parts... I have imagined it so many times by now.. I'm itching to write it quickly.

hmmm...These days archu too speaks so comfortable with him , the way she answered cutely to him,that when she was unmarried also she keep this fast for a good husband and isn't it happened... and manav smiling and a little blush...Liked all those.

Then their scene in the room...Manav na so cute...

Their Aarti and the talk on food are good and could visualize that and the one pic you posted was picture perfect...

Ok Nikki, the new entry you were talking about is DHARMESH jaipurwala😲, when I heard that name only that fatty dharmu comes to mind ,couldn't help it...actual shock for me in this update was this name πŸ˜†...I hate that name only...
Ok, Here what role he is to play...Help manav in his garage problems, will that storing prove any hlp,profit or credibility to him????...I guess I gave away the secret when I said that from here, things are going to improve for ArMan.πŸ˜‰ Waise just like all other characters, Dharmesh's role will be the same as shown in the serial when introduced- a hardcore businessman, very practical, and who is good to people who work with him. (Dharmesh was shown as being a good man earlier who used to help his employess.) He doesn't have many scenes, but yet his role is important.

The pictures posted were so nice Niki... ARMAN alies Sushita looks too good. Miss them...πŸ˜”
Of course will ignore the Karanjkars in Backgound...Do you have to say, Its default.
And I always visualize them as out of focus...πŸ˜ƒ...Not in your FF, in actual PR I hate them to the core...

Asusual worth the wait...Enjoyed reading it...Thanks...
And asusual me too tried to write a essay as a reply 😳

Waiting very eagerly for the next part as this part has opened some issues and made us think...or get hooked...

Whats going to be the doctor's diagnosis, will family memebers come to know about that through damo bab, what where their reactions, what is going to archu's upcoming efforts, will she do better and succeed, what will be manav's reaction for archu telling hi condition to damo baba even after manav telling not to. Savita aai's reacion... sachin and varsha' issuw...Keep guessing!

So waiting eagerly...Please update soon Dear...You are the saving grace for us or saviour for us.

Update it soon on Your convenience .Till then will wait...

Bye.😊Bye Umi!

wow , vedant and vandu got so much of "screen time " in this part ...
till now they were in the background ... now i feel like i know them a bit more .. esp vedant .. first time you have made him talk so much .. lol ...
i said vedant might turn out be manav part 2 .. still feel that way ... i really like vedant and vandu !!!

you know , till now , you have kinda clubbed them together .. referring them to as twins or kids ... so i was beginning to feel both would even hold the same opinions about the things happening around them ..that you would probably not pay much attention to both of them individually , if you know what i mean ... it was nice to see that both see things differently .. nice touch there niki !!!

and oh , you have got me excited about the ganesh chaturti celebrations and games ... antakshari , dance etc .. will you describe all that in the later parts ? ...
you are pucca writing the archu-vandu thing na ? i mean archu helping out vandu with the dance ? ,... i so wanna see them bond

and oh , i loved the scenes between manav and savita .. be it them shouting at each other .. or manav later apologising to her and coaxing her to eat ...
i really imagined ushaji in the scene ...
i guess i havent told this before .. waise kehne ki zaroorat nahi hai .. its kinda understood i guess . that i too see the actors in my head when i read your FF ... ankita , sushant , ushaji  , prarthana etc ...

today i was visualising ushaji and sushant in my head .. .. they would have totally rocked the scenes .. they have such good mom-son chemistry ...
did they have any such scene in the show ? of manav coaxing her to eat ?

and tee hee .. even i giggled reading that scene of manav closing his eyes tightly ... lol ... and to think this guy was accused by everyone of frequenting brothels and cheating on his wife ...

oh god !!!! *smacks my head* ... i should have guessed it was dharmesh ... how could i not ? i was thinking jaywant or DK !!!

i know dharmesh wont turn negative in your FF .. so i already like him ... i was seeing sumit arora sumit arora lol ...

hmm .. so archu has told damo .. and now .. everyone will know? i dont know .. not able to decide whether i like this twist or not ...
i mean , i knew this would happen sooner or later ... but i thought .. a bit later ... like manav i too didnt want sachin and savita feeling sorry for him .. and hence coming back to support him ...
i thought you might calm things down a bit between savita-manav and savita-sachin first...
wanted both savita and sachin to admit their mistakes first , and apologize to manav...

but i guess .. you wanted to now show damo taking charge for a change ? and hence used this opportunity ? ...

waiting to see how you take things from here ...

ah , the ray of hope ... of manav turning "rich" .. i guess it has already started ? i liked how dharmesh has entered the story ...

Oh btw .. you said you have a backstory on lot of people .. and you said you said you have something on the kids too ?

did you mean this part .. ? and will sachin come back now .. knowing about manav's illness ? i dont think i would like that ... i wanted him to come back without knowing about manav's condition..

Edited by lunza - 12 years ago
oohhh .. just read your reply to shovana ... so atya is back ! πŸ˜ƒ