Views

Users

Frequent Posters

--Minks-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: nikitagmc

Thanks Minks... I love furry things and teddies are absolute favourites πŸ€—

Yar, me too... I can't even give the excuse of being a teenager, beyond those dreamy years long ago.. and I still have teddies with me... β˜ΊοΈ anyways, where can I get such an avi??? any suggestions?
Edited by scarletthara - 12 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: scarletthara

Yar, me too... I can't even give the excuse of being a teenager, beyond those dreamy years long ago.. and I still have teddies with me... β˜ΊοΈ anyways, where can I get such an avi??? any suggestions?

Actually I found this gif image in b'day thread made by unknown18 aka Sid for Tanya Di. If you want such gif images (or avis, whatever you prefer to call them), you will have to google giving keyword animated teddy gif or something like that.. sorry can't help you beyond this... I myself have no clue.
lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Niki , great update as usual ...

I am soo happy manav didnt land up on the k's doorstep to apologise on his mum's behalf ...I was afraid he might do that ...

Subpart 3 might be shorter than the other two ... but reading that definitely tired me out .. whew .. Archu's head ... I felt I was entering into a whirlpool , by the time I came outta it .. i was feeling dizzy ..

I still feel she is a bit of a pendulum ...
She is still waiting for that final bit of proof to validate her slowly forming belief of manav's innocence...

ooh... u have soo many backstories lined up ?!! savita , varsha , twins, sachin , shravani ...
shravani is coming back in a brief cameo ?

sachin tho i knew we will read what he has been upto ... but something on the twins too ? didnt expect that ..

well , i wish that girl .. sweety ( or bubbly , or whatever her name is) dumped sachin on the mandap... and his business has failed so he is in debt ... so he lands up in front of manav dada ... but manav says .."sorry , cant help you , I need money for my meds ..." and slams the door on his face ! hmph ...

and wow .. i loved that manav-savita scene .. I have been waiting for you to write that since a long time ...
For me that scene was the highlight of this part .. even more than the Mrs. Ruhia part..

Best line : "It would have been better to ask her once than use your own peanut sized brain without even thinking."
Edited by lunza - 12 years ago
lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
oh .. btw ... wrote some other stuff too .. but um ... the browser kinda crashed ... so i lost everything i typed ... abhi yaad nahi aa raha hai what else i wrote ... but i think it was similar to other posts .. like umi's and mink's ...
well .. umm ok .. i remember .😳. but i felt lazy to type it again .. so i just typed the different stuff..
Edited by lunza - 12 years ago
svforever thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
omg!!! that was amazing!!!! how can you write so well!? I was so engrossed in reading it that when the 3rd part was over, I was like nooo. anyways, please continue soon. this ff is really awesome!!!

~RadikaπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
Delena98 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Hi Nikita,
Thanks a lot. It is superb. It took two days for me to finish. After reading I am becoming more greedy, thinking when will the next part come.

Edited by khushisingh - 12 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail
Originally posted by: lunza

Niki , great update as usual ...

I am soo happy manav didnt land up on the k's doorstep to apologise on his mum's behalf ...I was afraid he might do that ...Yeah I wanted to show him a bit human for a change, so showed him apologizing to Archana but a bit miffed with the Karanjkars... you know Lunzi, this jailing episode was very important in this sense also that it was something which was very strong that happened.. something that Manav cannot shoo away now cos of any reason or think that comeon I cannot take any risk against Ajit now cos anyway legally I cannot do anything... notice the way in which Manav subconsciously broke the glass when he thought of Manjusha and Ajit- the FIRE to take revenge is lit in him now-and this time it's very very strong.

Subpart 3 might be shorter than the other two ... but reading that definitely tired me out .. whew .. Archu's head ... I felt I was entering into a whirlpool , by the time I came outta it .. i was feeling dizzy ..πŸ˜† See that is why all of you shouldn't be so hard at poor Archu, dekho bechari ki kya haalat ho jati hai roz raat ko soch soch ke.

I still feel she is a bit of a pendulum ...
She is still waiting for that final bit of proof to validate her slowly forming belief of manav's innocence... It is actually a case of trust on two people- Manav and Varsha- which is colliding against each other... It will be more clear in the upcoming chapter.  

ooh... u have soo many backstories lined up ?!! savita , varsha , twins, sachin , shravani ...
shravani is coming back in a brief cameo ? Oh no...I'm not bringing Shravani back... I can't write a lot about it else it will reveal the story ahead... just read on...
Yes, each of the characters has a story- Sachin and Varsha's story we have already been following, Tarun and Vaishali had a story too which merged into ArMan's story, the twins too have a story- it has actually been going on for sometime, but it has been subtle- I don't know if anyone would even have figured it out since basically everyone concentrates on ArMan (including meπŸ˜†) plus this FF has been going on for sometime too, anyways you'll read about it ahead... all the stories merge into ArMan's story and influence it.

sachin tho i knew we will read what he has been upto ... but something on the twins too ? didnt expect that ..Wrote about it above..

well , i wish that girl .. sweety ( or bubbly , or whatever her name is) dumped sachin on the mandap... and his business has failed so he is in debt ... so he lands up in front of manav dada ... but manav says .."sorry , cant help you , I need money for my meds ..." and slams the door on his face ! hmph ...🀣 Lunzi... I thought you liked Sachin! Bechara Sachin!

and wow .. i loved that manav-savita scene .. I have been waiting for you to write that since a long time ...You knew it would be coming haan? Clever!
For me that scene was the highlight of this part .. even more than the Mrs. Ruhia part..Honestly speaking.. I missed Sushant and Usha ji while writing this part... for me too, this scene was the highlight of this part.

Best line : "It would have been better to ask her once than use your own peanut sized brain without even thinking." OH I like this Lunzi... I think before this also you mentioned the stand-out dialogue in some parts... nice!

Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail
Originally posted by: svforever

omg!!! that was amazing!!!! how can you write so well!? I was so engrossed in reading it that when the 3rd part was over, I was like nooo. anyways, please continue soon. this ff is really awesome!!!

~RadikaπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Hi! You're commenting after such a long time that I thought you had stopped reading!πŸ˜† Thanks for the appreciation, you made me happy.πŸ˜ƒ
nikitagmc thumbnail
Originally posted by: khushisingh

Hi Nikita,

Thanks a lot. It is superb. It took two days for me to finish. After reading I am becoming more greedy, thinking when will the next part come.

πŸ˜†

You're welcome Khushi.. I'm glad you liked it. Yeah I know this part was tooo long, as I said at the beginning of the part also- it was shamelessly long.πŸ˜†

Will update soon.
nikitagmc thumbnail

PART 74

SUBPART 1

REFLECTIONS AT DAWN

Time certainly does have wings. Good times fly away, and bad times persist on for as long as we can remember.

These were the thoughts which were going through Manav's mind as he stood in the line for the water the next morning. Despite all attempts by him to not think or ponder, he was still going through past memories. The only difference was that these memories were not harsh or dark, but rather pleasing and such that brought a smile on his lips.

It was still dark and quiet. The lazy sun had yet to get up from sleep. Manav looked around himself, as he waited for his turn to come up. He rubbed his hands. His attention was diverted to the central space of the chawl. Years ago, he used to play cricket there as a child..

***flashback- 22 years ago***

"Manav!" Atya called out.

Messy hair, a chequered blue shirt and black shorts- a 10 year old, intelligent looking, chubby face- playing cricket with his cousins in a rugged field. He frowned when he saw Atya looking for him.

"What happened, Atya?"

"What are you doing out there! Come inside, the ceremony is inside."

He wiped his dirty hands on his shorts. "Isn't it over as yet?"

"It is. That is why I want you back in. Come on!"

She led him to the tent built on the other side of the field. They were in a small village in the very outskirts of Mumbai- it was the first time he had come there. Thankfully, the whole family, his cousins- everyone had been there and so he hadn't felt so lonely. He was grateful for this short break. Ever since he had lost his Aai, he didn't like to stay in their chawl home. It reminded him of his Aai and made him feel sad.

He stopped at the door. His Baba, dressed in traditional clothes, was sitting on a paat with a garland of flowers around him and beads on his forehead. Next to him, sat someone else.

Atya led Manav forward. "Manav," she said softly. "This is your new Aai."

So it was true! His cousins had been telling him that his Baba was going to get married to someone else, but he hadn't believed it. Now he would have, what was it called- a step mother. He remembered the nasty stories his friends had told him about the conventional 'Sauteli Maa' as depicted in films. His heart beat hard.

"Manav," Atya said again. "Do namaskar to your Aai."

He looked around nervously. Finally, he edged forward and touched the feet of the woman sitting next to his father, not daring to look at her. He was still admiring the beauty of the floor, when he felt her hand on his head. He looked up. She was very young, not as fair as his own Aai, but her features were sharp. She had dark, intense eyes. He remembered all the nasty tales again, and shuddered inwardly. He was surprised when he felt her pulling his arm, indicating him to sit in between her and his Baba. Turned out that it was time for their first family photograph. The photograph came weirdly- his new Aai was looking down, his Baba was looking forward and he was looking sideways at his new Aai.

Today again, he was peeking at her from behind the curtain, as she worked by herself in the kitchen, opening the different containers to see what was kept in each. It had been about a week since she had come into the house, and now she was slowly getting the hang of the house.

He knew that her name was Savita- he had heard his Baba addressing her by that name, while Manav himself referred to her as 'new Aai' or Savita Aai. She did all the chores of the house which his Aai used to do before she fell ill and then went to heaven. This New Aai now made food, cleaned the house, fanned his Baba, counted the money, filled the water from the taps, did everything.

He hadn't talked to her till date, though Atya had asked him to. He had confided in her that he felt scared of his new Aai and Atya had laughed at him, asking him not to be scared of 'Savita' since she was a nice lady, and that his Baba had married her so that she could take care of Manav, and for no other reason. Atya said that the very purpose of the marriage would get defeated if he did not bond with Savita Aai.

And so after Atya went away, he was left to peek about, thinking of how to approach her. His late Aai had taught him to be respectful and friendly, and he was eager to show himself as someone nice.

He peeked some more. She was not there.

"HA!" Someone grabbed him from behind, making him jump. He shuddered in fear, and heaved as he saw it was his new Aai, bending down to reach to his level. When had she come out of the kitchen, he wondered.

"Why do you stare at me like that?" New Aai asked.

"Me? No.. I don't stare.."

"I have been noticing since the last few days.." New Aai said, frowning. "You never talk to me when we sit together, but you peek at me from behind curtains. Am I a cartoon?" she scrunched her face.

Her appearance brought a giggle to Manav's lips. He somehow controlled himself. "No, nothing like that, I just feel scared of you.. so.."

'New Aai' bent again. "Why?" she asked with a frown. "Why are you scared of me? Am I a witch or a ghost?"

"No.. but my friends told you are my stepmother and stepmothers are scary.. so that is why.." he trailed off.

She seemed to have understood. She straightened up, looking weirdly at him. He looked up at her. She was not very tall, he thought. In a few years, he would easily cross her height. His own Aai had been taller. She also had a very sweet voice. 'New Aai' also spoke softly, but could be loud sometimes, especially when she was excited or in the chawl line for water, when people pushed and pulled.

"What fat cheeks you've got!" New Aai remarked, tapping his cheeks. "You don't look like your Baba.."

"I've taken after my Aai." Manav explained, pointing at the framed picture of his Aai.

For a few moments, she kept looking at the picture, not saying anything. The next moment, she turned to him, and asked softly, "How did she..?"

"She was ill." Manav replied. "We got her into hospital and did everything, but she went to heaven. Baba says we couldn't do all that was required for her."

He could see her eyes soften and her frown disappeared. She ruffled his hair. "Do you like laddoos?" she asked him.

"YES!"

"Come in with me." She said, and led him to the kitchen, where there was a tin on the top of the cupboard. She took out one laddoo from the tin  and gave it to him. "Don't drop crumbs all over the floor." She instructed sharply. "Hold the laddoo in one hand, and place the other hand under it like a plate, so that the crumbs don't fall on the floor.. yes.. that way."

He ate slowly, relishing it while she enjoyed herself watching him eat.

"Who teaches you?"

"Baba." Said Manav, the laddoo still in his mouth.

"Aey don't speak in that manner." she said irritatedly. "Your Baba is never at home, when does he teach you?" she asked. "He doesn't teach me much," Manav replied back. "Aai used to teach me earlier, after she went away Baba used to teach me. But he doesn't have much time since he is busy with theatre most days. And Atya is never at home for long durations- she keeps travelling and has a job in another city."

"Hmm.." pondered New Aai. "I want one more laddoo." demanded Manav.

"Not now." she said. "I will give you one laddoo everyday if you sit near me at teatime after you come home after playing, when I make dinner, and read out everything that your teacher taught at school that day."

Manav gasped. "Everything?"

"Yes." She said. "That is the way we will study."

"But my Aai never taught me in this manner.." he protested.

"Yes, but now I'm supposed to teach you, cos I don't think your Baba has a lot of time in hand for you, and I don't want your studies to suffer.." New Aai said firmly. "And I think this way will work." She could see he was not sure. "You want laddoos or not?" she asked finally.

He nodded. They were delicious.

"Then go and get your books. If you behave like a good boy, I will be good to you, if you behave badly, I will behave like a bad stepmother, just like your friends told you." She tried to sound menacing and scary. "What is a bad stepmother supposed to do?" she asked Manav with a weird funny expression.

Manav giggled. "Bad stepmother doesn't give food and locks children in the bathroom when they cry."

"That is stupid!" scoffed New Aai. "Then what would she do if she herself wanted to use the bathroom?"

Manav hadn't thought of that. He wondered at the possibility. Savita sighed. "Where are such things shown?"

"In movies."

"Actually I haven't seen many movies.." Savita admitted. "We didn't have many facilities in our little village. Stupid movies!"

"Anyhow, go and get your books." She said. "I will start making dinner in a few minutes. You sit near me and read aloud whatever your teacher taught you. I will listen and ask questions in the middle to check whether you are concentrating." He nodded and sped off to get his books, when a voice called out. "And wash your hands and mouth before sitting to study, else you'll ruin your teeth!"

***********flashback ends**************

Manav came out of his thoughts. His turn in the tap line had come. He placed the bucket carefully, waiting for it to fill. Remembering old days was so much better than dwelling on present circumstances, he thought. Unlike what people assumed, the past was not painful- it was healthy. His lips still broke into a smile as he remembered those initial days of getting used to 'New Aai' whose ways were so different from his own Aai. She was quick, short tempered, could get loud, and illiterate. She had a weird sense of humour and laughed aloud when she found something funny. She would laugh at everyone and everything, and she loved dancing to the songs that played in the chawl or on the radio occasionally. Her technique of 'teaching' was nothing other than making Manav revise whatever had been taught at school, since she was illiterate herself and could not help him with studies. At that time he had been a 10 year old child who didn't understand much around him, but today he understood that Savita Aai had tried to take him, a motherless child, under her mould, perhaps knowing even in those initial days, that his Baba would not be able to devote much time to him. In those constant reprimands, occasional strictness, dollops of pampering and lots of 'if-you-do-this-I- will-do-this', they had slowly grown closer.

How time flies.. he thought again. He picked up the bucket and walked upstairs to his home. As he kept the bucket carefully in a corner of the kitchen, he remembered old days again.

******flashback begins*******

"How did your Aai do so much of work!" Savita Aai exclaimed, as she climbed up the stairs with a bucket full of water in her hand. She set it down on the floor, heaving. "I'm already out of breath!" she admitted.

Manav grinned, chewing his pencil. "Why don't you ask Baba to help you with it?" he suggested. "Baba used to do some of the household work when Aai fell ill.."

Savita Aai scoffed. She came close to him indicating her hand to him in the gesture of slapping. "Don't chew your pencil! And about your Baba, he has no time from theatre." She said. "I am the one who has to do all this work.. haye.. see.. you were saying that you are the Cinderella and I'm the step mother, but still it is me who is doing all the work.. all these fairytales are nonsense!"

He laughed at her. When she was irritated, she often spewed randomly and made everyone around her laugh by her antics. "I will help you in carrying the buckets from tomorrow." He said. "You always get so tired at the end of the day, and there is no one to help you."

"Aww.. how sweet, my dear you are just a little lamb, you will topple down the stairs if you carry such a big bucket," she said. "Grow up to become a big strong boy and then help me, or even better.." she came close to him with a mischievous smile on her face. "Become very rich! Then we can have a maid who will do all this work."

He grinned. "How will I become rich?" he asked.

"For that you have to study hard." She said. "So study every day, bcos if you don't study hard and become very rich.. then I.. then I.."

"Then will you punish me?" he asked in a small voice. Sha laughed loudly. "Oh no, why would I punish you, I will just ask your wife to do all this work.. ha!"

"Aww.. hatt.." said Manav, shying away.

"Hahahaa.. look who is shying!" she laughed, pointing a finger at him. "I will ask your wife to carry all these buckets and make Masala Bhindi for me every day, and if she doesn't do it I will fight with her. Fighting with the bahu is the timepass in old age."

"If she doesn't know how to make Masala Bhindi then?"

"Then I will taunt her!" saying this Savita Aai changed her tone to a grumbling one- "Kuch nahi sikhaya tere gharwalon ne, bas aise hi bhej diya!!" (Your parents haven't taught you anything and send you as it is to the husband's house)

Both of them laughed. The house echoed with their laughter.

More loud noises, this time at night. Manav woke up from sleep to see Aai getting his Baba inside.

"Who do they think they are!" his Baba was murmuring in drunken stupor. "How can they throw me out.. I am no. 1 actor.. all directors are after me.. let the show flop."

Savita Aai looked worried as she tried to ignore the people standing outside their home and looking at them. "Get in," she said to Manav's Baba and helped him lie down. Then she went to the door and closed  it firmly. She sat with her back to the door and buried her face in her hands.

Manav got up and went to the living room. His Baba smelt bad, and was still murmuring something in his sleep. Savita, on the other hand, had her face in her hands and was shaking intermittently. Manav shook her arm. "Aai, what happened to Baba?"

She did not reply for a long time. He continued questioning her. Finally, she looked up. Her eyes were swollen and red.

"Manav, go and sleep."

"Will you not sleep."

She cast one look at Damodar lying on the couch. "I have to look after your Baba, he is not well."

"What happened to him?"

She could not answer. She started weeping again.

She looked at the bills in amazement. "All this?" she asked the man standing in front of her. The man nodded.

"Come tomorrow and collect the money." She said. The man went away. She walked slowly, one hand behind her back, trying to support her baby bump. She came and sat down next to the stove, thinking deeply. As per routine, Manav was sitting next to her and reciting something that he had memorized.

"I recited everything. Did I make a mistake?" Savita wasn't listening. "Aai, did I make a mistake anywhere?"

"Huh, no, you did not make any mistake beta." She was lost in her own thoughts. "Aai what happened?"

"Manav, do you have any money?" she asked him with pleading eyes. "During our wedding, when you touched the feet of elders, they must have given you some money na?"

He nodded. "I was saving it to buy a new cricket bat with the money." He said.

She tried to blink back her tears. "Manav, listen beta, please give me the money now, I will get a very nice bat for you later.. please.." Manav's face fell. "Take money from Baba.." Savita gave him an exasperated look. "Beta- your Baba doesn't have money. Please give me the money, it is very urgent."

He nodded and went to his room, took out the money from a small box and gave it to her. She accepted it very gratefully. "Thankyou Manav." She said, a tear dropping from her eye. She fondled his cheek affectionately. "What should I make for you today?"

"Aloo Gobi."

She giggled softly, blinking her tears away. "Alright, I will make Aloo Gobi and then you can become like a big potato yourself." She said, patting him on the back. She pondered on something, then turned to Manav. "Manav, did you have money problems when your Aai was alive..?"

Manav nodded.

"What did she do?"

"She sold some of her jewellery.. and she used to do some odd jobs- stitching, embroidery etc."

"Hmm.." Savita said. "I guess I will have to take cue from your mother.. even in those days she knew your father wouldn't be able to run the house.."

They were on the terrace. While the rest of the boys were flying kites, Manav was shooing away the crows from pecking at the papads that were drying in the sun.

"I hope we can make some money out of this." Said Savita Aai pensively, kneading the mixture to make more papads. "Manav's Baba has been out of work recently. Things will get difficult for us if this doesn't work out."

Atya kept a hand on her shoulder, her other hand patting little Sachin who was sleeping on her lap. "Calm down Savita, things will work out. Damodar will get some work soon. Such bad spells are part of an actor's life. Just manage somehow for a short while. Do you want any help from me..?"

Savita hesitated, then said, "Manav's school uniform.."

"I will pay for it." Said Atya. "Thankyou." Said Savita gratefully. "I had never thought things would be so difficult after marriage- things were calm for some days till Manav's Baba had some work in some play, then the bad spells started.. then he got some more work, and then again out of work- income is not steady.. "

"I know Savita," said Atya regretfully. "You haven't got any happiness that a newly wed girl gets, you have only had responsibilities piled on you from day one, looking after Manav, the house and  financial problems and now Damodar's alcoholism..

"Aai," Manav who had been standing in a corner, said, "Can I go play with the others?"

"No." said Aai. "I need help to keep the crows away from the papads while I am making some more."

"But all are playing.."

"I SAID NO!" she said angrily. He concentrated on shooing away the crows again.

"Calm down Savita." said Atya. "As it is, he takes care of little Sachu also, and helps you in household chores."

"I know," said Savita, a little subdued now. "He is a very sweet boy, always wanting to help me in any way he can. Never says no. It is for his sake that I'm doing all this, hoping that he and Sachu don't suffer due to the state of the house. If I'm taking his help  and not letting him play for one evening, that is also for his own betterment- to earn money for the house. If we get through this difficult period without compromising on the needs of the children and Manav's schooling, then he will enjoy a lot tomorrow when he gets a good job and is financially stable and gets respect from all corners..."

"I understand.." Atya said quietly. "Don't worry, things will get better."

"Aai why do you create such tamashas everywhere? It doesn't look good!"

A 14 year old Manav with acne on his face, taller than before was grumbling at his Aai as they entered the house.

"What could I do?" she asked flatly. "That wretched vegetable vendor was selling veggies so bloody expensive- I had to bargain then and there to save our pennies!"

"You weren't bargaining, you were literally yelling at him. If I and others hadn't intervened, you would have got into a physical fight just like the other day." Said Manav with a frown, as he tickled 4 year old Sachin, who was playing on the diwan.

"These people understand this type of language only." Said Savita, shaking her head. "Talk softly and no one listens. I have toh got adjusted to this behavior only now. Only I know how much I have to go through to get ahead of everyone in the line for water every morning- lots of problems. I can give any wrestler competition now, I think."

Manav gave a small smile. Savita's face lit up. "Manav, who is that nice teacher who has been giving you tuitions?"

"Mrs. Fanny." Said Manav. "She's my Physics teacher and very understanding. She knows that unlike other children I cannot afford coachings, so she is devoting some extra time to me to help me out with the Scholarship examination and get through college later- since competition for the exam will be high."

"Can you explain the way she does?"

"I think so.."

"Great!" said Savita, rubbing her hands. "You can teach the other chawl children when you revise, this way you will also remember it forever, and we can make some money."

"Aai," said Manav, perturbed. "She teaches me for FREE cos she knows I can't afford it, it won't be right of me to charge other students who are equally poor. It would rather be better if I recommend them to Fanny Ma'am and all of them attend her classes for free, instead.

Savita groaned. "Manav you think too much, no one thinks this much about US- certainly not in this chawl here, everyone is selfish here, looking out for themselves, no one helps at the time of need and later they expect help from others." She rolled her eyes. "As it is, you are not letting me talk to Tarun's father for help regarding your education."

"Aai, please don't talk to Tarun's Dad." Said Manav solemnly. "Tarun's Dad is already wary of gold diggers and wants his son to be away from such people. Ever since he hit the jackpot in business, he is insisting that Tarun change schools. If you say something like this to him, he will think the worst about us too. It is just Tarun's insolency and his Grandmother's pampering that has prevented his parents from changing his school- not to forget the excellent teachers in my school."

Savita sighed. "Your Baba has made the family suffer so much.." she said, sitting down on the diwan, pulling little Sachin closer to herself. "I don't want it to have any negative impact on life ahead.. if bcos of him the future of my children comes to harm, I won't forgive him.."

Manav looked perturbed. He knew Aai-Baba argued  a lot these days, especially when Baba came home drunk. Aai accused him of being a bad father and husband, and always pointed out how there was something or the other lacking in the house everytime and he was doing nothing about it.

He went and sat near his Aai. "Don't worry, Baba shall get some sort of work soon.. his credibility in the theatre world has gone down  bcos of his drinking habits.. if he restrains then people will start trusting him again and give him more work.. he himself is trying his best to fulfill our requirements.. it's not as if he is sitting in a corner doing nothing.. he is really trying.."

"I don't know Manav," said Savita with a serious look. "I have sort of given up on your Baba.. he is unable to run the house even when he has work- his theatre roles do not guarantee a secure income.. it is me who has to supplement the house by fighting and saving every penny and selling papads and achaars and kanda poha- whatever I can.. its not like I hate him for it, he is a good person and certainly putting in his best- compromising by doing even small roles, but.. I don't know.. just don't know how long I can make it last.."

Suddenly it dawned on her that she was discussing all this with a 14 year old boy. "You go for your class." She said. "Study well." He nodded, pecked Sachin's plump cheeks lovingly and sped to his room to get his bag.  

Yes, he had seen her changing. He had seen her changing from a spirited woman who came to live in the house, and who had got the responsibilities of a mother and a home maker even before she could perfect herself as a wife. He had seen her change into a hassled worried woman, who slowly realized that her marriage had heaped her with more than she could take and she had little or no help from anyone- even relatives and friends had turned away from them. He had seen her changing from a social woman to one who had started maintaining true relationships only with those who gave something in return- like Tarun, Atya or Girishji.. with the rest of the people, who could not help or did not help, she had more or less, an 'on your face' relationship. He had seen her changing to a loud woman who had to fight her way to survive the muck her marriage had placed her in- fighting at the chawl tap, with the vendors, with the money lenders, with the people who came to demand payment for bills. He had seen her changing from being cautious and carefree to becoming shrewd and worldly wise, since she knew that this was how you needed to be if you had to survive in this harsh world where everyone was trying to take advantage and everyone was fighting for survival.

And he also knew that he had changed in her influence. He had not become rough or shrewd like her, but he had definitely developed the fighting spirit from her. He did not believe in keeping relationships only if they gave you something in return, but he knew what to expect and what not to expect from people now. If his father was a dreamer, she was a survivor. And she had taught him to be a survivor and fighter as well. If he attributed his sensitivity, soft spoken and emotional behavior to his deceased Aai, he attributed the other part of his behavior- the zest to fight, the acceptance of reality and making life on it, the power to adjust and make do in any situation and stay happy in it- all from Savita Aai. He had changed, just the way she had wanted him to change so that he could learn to fight this life as there was little his Baba could ever do for them.

Presently, standing alone in the living room, Manav sighed. His head was aching again now. He needed to take his tablets, but before that he would have to eat something. He looked into the stored food to see what was left from the night. He then went into the room and started fumbling in his drawer for medicines. Instead, the doctor's letter came in his hand. He had an appointment that morning, he remembered.

Appointment with the doctor.. he thought. More memories came rushing by.

(continued in next post)

Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago