PR Reloaded- II (FF) Note on pg. 76- do read!

nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
<p align="center"></p>
<p align="center"></p>
<p align="center"></p>
<p align="center"></p>

<p align="center">Set in the backdrop of Mumbai- the city of dreams as well as harsh realities- Pavitra Rishta Reloaded revolves around Archana and Manav. Archana is the eldest daughter of the Karanjkar family- a middle class, cultured family living in the suburbs of Dombivili. She choses to leave her studies and take the responsibility of her ailing Aai and family at the tender age of 13. As a result, she grows up to be an excellent homemaker- caring, compassionate and sensitive- but also under-confident, shy, and a person with a severe inferiority complex- who is more often than not, drowned in the voice of her family members. As she grows up to a marriageable age, her Aai realizes that she has lost out on all good things since childhood, and resolves to get her married to a well educated, rich guy from a good family.</p>
<p align="center">But 'if wishes were horses.. beggars would ride..'- Archana's lack of education makes her suffer rejections from everywhere. The only guy who falls for Archana's qualities is Manav- a semi educated mechanic, who works in others garage and struggles to fend for his family- a far cry from what Archana's mother had dreamt for her. Belonging to the lower-middle class, Manav Deshmukh, a chawl dweller, had to leave his studies at a young age to earn money for his family when his alcoholic father was unable to support the house. A person who is accustomed to the rough ways of the world just like his rough profession, Manav- who had lost his mother in childhood- is quite soft at heart and pampers his family, especially his siblings- who grow up to have a good education, thanks to his sacrifices at every step of life. Somewhere however, Manav too fails to get his due in his family and is often taken for granted by his step-mother and his lazy brother, whose expectations from him only increase with time.</p>
<p align="center">Call it misfortune or a stroke of luck, but with Bappa's divine grace, Archana and Manav do end up getting married to each other, and it is then that Archana realizes that her husband is actually a man with a heart of gold. Slowly, they discover the common link between them- their earnest desire to keep their loved ones happy and their unwavering faith in the Lord. Somewhere, even though incomplete and imperfect for the rest of the world, Manav and Archana find themselves to be perfect for each other, thus realizing what it means to be soulmates.</p>
<p align="center">But testing times start soon, which on one hand question the very foundations of their relationship, and on the other hand, help them embark on a new journey of rediscovering themselves, each other, and life.</p>
<p align="center">Can two incomplete, imperfect people make a complete, perfect life? Can tender dreams and innocence survive in the midst of hardships and vice? Can pure, unselfish love be seen in today's modern, materialistic world?</p>
<p align="center">To find that out, tune in to Pavitra Rishta Reloaded.</p>

<p align="center">[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVK0dytoJc8[/YOUTUBE]</p>

<p align="center">Link to PR reloaded Thread 1 ::::: (Part 1 to Part 66)</p>
<p align="center">https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/1328933</p>

<p align="center">(People who want a PM to be sent at the time of updating, please send me a PM or leave a note in this thread itself.)</p>
<p align="center">
</p>
<p align="center">Part 67- page 1 and 2</p>
<p align="center">Part 68 - page 5</p>
<p align="center">Part 69- (divorce hearing) - page 8</p>
<p align="center">Part 70 - page 12</p>
<div align="center">Part 71 - page 15</div>
<p align="center">Part 72 - page 20</p>
<p align="center">Part 73- page 27,28</p>
<p align="center">Part 74- page 32, 33</p>
<p align="center">Part 75- page 37, 38 (Ganesh Chaturthi special)</p>
<p align="center">Part 76- page 42</p>
<p align="center">part 77- page 47</p>
<p align="center">part 78- page 48</p>
<p align="center">part 79- page 50</p>

<div align="center">part 80- page 51
</div>
<p align="center">part 81- page 55</p>
<p align="center">part 82- page 58</p>
<p align="center">part 83- page 61</p>
<p align="center">part 84- page 65 (reunion)</p>
<div align="center">part 85- page 69 </div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">part 86- page 72</div>Edited by nikitagmc - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nikitagmc thumbnail

Hello everyone!😊

As you all know, Pavitra Rishta Reloaded has completed 150 pages, and has come to the point that I have to make a new thread for it. So readers of PR Reloaded- this is our new home.πŸ˜ƒ

For those who are new to this FF- welcome! As you must have understood by the summary above- the characters of this FF and the setting is quite the SAME as Pavitra Rishta the serial, with a few changes. The graph of the story and the initial few twists are also the same. Rest EVERYTHING is different.

I started this FF in February last year when I came to know that Manav was going to put Sindoor on Shravani. It disgusted me and somewhere I felt that from here on, the serial would go downhill. And so, for the sake of my own sanity, to keep my favourite characters alive, and as a punching bag I had started this FF.πŸ˜†

I had not expected at that time that I would get such support and appreciation that this FF would cease to be my punching bag and instead become the most important part of my online life. Now it is perhaps the most important reason I still come to IF. The credit goes to all of the readers who have showered appreciation and encouraged me time and again. Thanks a lot!πŸ€—

A special shoutout to all the people who contributed to this FFπŸ‘- TB, through the lovely banners, Taz and Nisha- by providing technical help when required, and also many many thanks to the wonderful members of the forum for the discussions as well as for their comments on the different parts of this FF.

Hope to receive the same support always. Thankyou all very much!⭐️

-Nikita

Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago
SunoNa123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Hey nice FF. 
By the time i started watching PR, shravani was in the picture already.
i tried watching the show thru youtube but all the videos seemed to be half cut.
I hope this will help me know the story of PR of initial days.
nikitagmc thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ankifan

Hey nice FF. 

By the time i started watching PR, shravani was in the picture already.
i tried watching the show thru youtube but all the videos seemed to be half cut.
I hope this will help me know the story of PR of initial days.

The story of this  FF is completely different from the serial. Completely as in COMPLETELY. Only the backdrop and characters and one or two initial twists are same. So don't rely on this FF to understand the serial. 
SunoNa123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
oh ok. but as in do u include the same rona dhona stuff which is shown in the show??

If not, then i wud love reading this.😊
nikitagmc thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ankifan

oh ok. but as in do u include the same rona dhona stuff which is shown in the show??

If not, then i wud love reading this.😊

πŸ˜†

To be frank, yes. If a story is completely happy all the time, then there is no fun. There need to be high points, low points, happy moments, sad moments, intense moments, introspection, high-voltage drama- everything. If there is no gloom, the value of happiness will never be understood.

But yes, I have tried to keep the rona dhona to a minimum and bring something positive even from sad happenings in the story.. I can't explain anymore than this. πŸ˜Š
Swati_ thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6
NikkiπŸ€—... Congrats for the second threadπŸ‘πŸ₯³
nikitagmc thumbnail

PART 67

Subpart one: Farewell

Sometimes mirrors lie so well!!!

She stared at the mirror- analyzing herself. Hmm.. the pleats in her purple silk sari were perfect, her hair, which was half open and pinned to the back with clips, had been brushed well and shone, her lips looked perfect with the right shade of lipstick applied, the kajal had been applied carefully too- it did not look blotchy at all and her eyes did not look as swollen as she had expected them to. Her face looked radiant and beautiful as always. Yes, she thought- she was looking good.

And yet she could not understand what was lacking. Perhaps a smile? She smiled her beatific smile into the mirror- which again and again told her that she was looking as beautiful as she could, but somehow she felt it was lying to her.

She turned away from the mirror. Nothing could really satisfy her today. When the heart was disinterested, upset, then a person saw the whole world with the same glasses. In this moment, when she knew her most beloved treasure, Manav, was soon going to be someone else's.. she didn't feel good. Nothing could make her happy in front of this loss. Her conscience was upset, somehow she didn't feel beautiful.

"You are looking very beautiful Archana!" her Aai told her. Archana tried to smile. She was suddenly reminded of the fact that she was not wearing a mangalsutra- what if people questioned. She didn't know what to do since her mangalsutra had been snatched away by Savita Aai, so she wore a necklace instead, thinking that an empty neck would attract more attention. She wondered whether she should wear green bangles which are the sign of a married woman, but then finally decided against it. She was going to be divorced the next day, who cared whether she wore all this or not, she thought.

"Is Vaishali ready?" she asked.

"Nah!" said her mother, shaking her head. "She is throwing tantrums over her make-up, hair etc. Go and handle her!"

Archana pretended to laugh a little, then went to Vaishali. In her blue green silk saree with heavy gold border, Vaishali looked beautiful. She was fighting her hair with her comb.

"I'm not looking good!" she wailed. "I don't like my hair!"

"You're looking very good," Archana consoled. "I'll help you out with your hair."

Vaishali was still not happy. "I wish Varshu Tai had been here," she said wistfully. "I had never thought that she would get so tired of all of us that she wouldn't even come on my sakharpuda."

Archana felt sad too. She couldn't understand why the hell Varshu was behaving so obstinate. "Its okay na Vaishu, maybe she didn't get a leave.."

Vaishali looked surprised. "Manju vahini told na that day, she had come till Delhi and called from there, couldn't she stay for one-two days more? Come on yaar, she could have done it."

"Vaishali, it's a new job, people don't consider requests.." Archu tried to explain, brushing her hair. She caught Sulochana's face in the mirror- she looked sad and upset. "Varsha has changed now." she said in a small voice. "She didn't even volunteer to help out financially in such an important occasion." Archana and Vaishali felt bad.

A few minutes later, Archana came out into the hall. Vinod and his Baba were going through the list of arrangements to see if they had missed out anything. They turned to her. "Archana everything is okay na?"

She nodded. "Yes, thank god we could arrange for a hall at such a short notice and upgrade arrangements. Hopefully all of Tarun's guests can be accommodated and they will like the function."

Vinod heaved a sigh of relief. "All credit goes to Satish- he made one phone call and asked his friend- a wedding planner- to get us this place. He has been very helpful- he arranged for caterers too and now we have a variety on the menu rather than the limited food items we had kept on our home made menu. Even the decoration is so pretty." He said, pointing out the people arranging the flowers.

Archana tried to smile. "It won't exceed our budget na?" asked Manohar, adjusting his specs.

"A little. He is Satish's friend so we will get concession.. we will try and cover it up somewhere else. Don't worry about the finances, I'll handle it."

Archana relaxed. A few guests had already started trickling in. She went and welcomed them, spoke to them, asked them about their well-being, and felt glad when they complimented on the arrangements. From time to time, she looked around, hoping that the Deshmukh family would come. She hoped they had not taken offence at the late invitation.

Finally Tarun and his family arrived. They were welcomed in a traditional way by the Karanjkar family. Dressed in a silver grey designer sherwani, Tarun looked excited. His naughty eyes were prancing about here and there, looking about for Vaishali, thinking how she must be looking. He wasn't concerned with the arrangements or the guests and only wanted the function to start quickly, so that he could be an engaged man soon. His family on the other hand, was pleased with the arrangements, and mouthed the common dialogue- "Arey is sab ki kya zaroorat thi.."

The guests had increased in number now. The Karanjkar family attended to them and made sure that they felt welcomed and respected. In all this hullaballoo.. suddenly, Archana's attention diverted to the one person who had the power to make her heartbeats stop.

He was looking his best today. He was dressed in a black maroon kurta with a maroon stole. He seemed to have had a haircut, he had shaved properly and had a day old stubble- he looked fresh and charismatic and extremely handsome- better than any other guy in the function-Archana thought. What the heck- was it necessary for him to look so drool-worthy one day before the divorce? She could see a few of Vaishali's friends gossiping excitedly about him as he came in.

And yet something seemed lacking. The most important physical attribute of Manav which lit up his whole personality was totally missing.

And that was his smile.

As he made way to the gate of the hall, he stopped momentarily. Vinod who was welcoming guests at the gate, looked coldly at him, and silently indicated a Namaste. Feeling awkward and extremely out of place, Manav reverted back with a Namaste and entered inside. As he walked away, he suddenly heard a voice, "Aai look who is here," he turned to look.

Oh wow!- Satish

He could see Vinod's face lit up with a smile and he could see that Archana's Aai Baba were walking towards the gate now, beaming happily. Satish bent down to touch their feet, and they happily blessed him, welcomed his parents to the function. They thanked them for coming, and led them to where Tarun and his family were sitting and introduced the two families.

Tarun felt uncomfortable  with this sudden encounter with Satish. He looked at where Manav was standing- and he could see Manav staring at the group with an unhappy look on his face. Manav immediately looked away when he saw Tarun had caught him staring.

"I'm sorry Manav."

Manav looked at Tarun. Tarun looked very down.

"I shouldn't have invited you to the function." He continued. "It was sick- Satish and his family got a royal welcome, and you- the eldest son in law of the house was not welcomed properly at all. This is utter humiliation man! I hate these Karanjkars from the bottom of my heart."

Manav gulped. "No use thinking about this matter. I knew I was going to get this sort of welcome only- so I didn't keep my expectations high. Keeping expectations low always helps. And anyway, Vinod was there at the gate."

"But still yaar, at least to keep me happy, they could have welcomed you properly na!" said Tarun, perturbed. "I didn't want these special arrangements they made for me and my family, I just wanted my own people to get some respect. At least they could have considered you are from the guys side.."

"Tarun, I.."

"Manav why are you not eating?" Archana's voice sprang up suddenly. She came in with a tray of cold drinks. "Here, and Tarun you as well.."

"No thankyou." Said Tarun in an irritated voice. Manav gave him a warning glance and picked up a glass, trying to smile. But somehow, today his smile didn't reach his eyes, Archana thought.

"I hope you liked the arrangements," she said, nervously trying to make small talk with both of them, knowing that Manav must be sad and Tarun must be irritated. Tarun didn't say anything. Manav stuck an elbow into his stomach. "Very nice." Said Tarun, in a voice which seemed to say "Very nasty."

Manav ignored him. "Very good arrangements, considering you did it in very less time." He said. Some one called Archana at that moment. "I'll just be back, please help yourselves.." she said and scuttled away.

She came back a little later to find Tarun sitting alone, blowing bubbles into the glass of cold drink with his straw. As Archana came closer, he started doing it even more loudly.

"Where did Manav go?" she asked. Tarun didn't answer.

"Tarun, please, I know you felt bad, but you cannot force someone to show false pleasure. You know my parents were not pleased about Manav coming here, they did it for you only, now you cannot force them to love him and hug him and welcome him and his whole family like.."

"Whatever!" said Tarun dismissively. Archana felt sad. "Did Manav go away cos he was upset?"

"No."

"Please tell me.. I will personally apologize.."

"Arey bola na nahi!" said Tarun irritatedly. "He has gone to the airport for some work."

"Airport?" repeated Archana in surprise. "Work?"

"You don't know?" asked Tarun in astonishment. "Shravani and Girishji are going to Bangalore today.. they are shifting to Bangalore.. he has gone to meet Girishji one last time."

Archana was shocked. Shifting? Last time? Wait, what was all this happening?

She wanted to ask more questions to Tarun, but he had already gone. She looked around here and there amongst the many guests, scanning for any of her office mates. Finally she caught one of them and asked her about any recent developments in the NGO in the last 3-4 days. (she had not attended office owing to Sakharpuda preparations.)

"Yes, we got some new sponsors and.. Sheila got ticked in front of everyone and.."

"And.." asked Archana with bated breath.

"Oh yes, and Shravani took a transfer." Exclaimed her friend. "She has shifted to Bangalore."

Archana's heart thumped with excitement. "When did this happen?"

"Just today morning. It all happened so soon and so suddenly, we were all shocked. Agreed that no one really likes her anymore, but still it is customary to give a farewell party na? Here there was no time to arrange a party, since she is leaving today evening. We just bought a cake for her and asked her to give a speech and blah blah.." said her friend.

"And.. and.. were there any rumours or any news of Shravani getting married??" asked Archana breathlessly.

Her friend looked at her as if she had gone mad. "Who told you so?" asked her friend.

"Shravani is not getting married?"

"I don't think so. And I don't think she intends to marry someone in Bangalore.. I think she and her father are shifting there, bag and baggage. She was asking us if we knew someone who wanted to buy a garage- I think her father is selling their garages."

That was the last straw. Archana stared in disbelief. Girishji had made Manav supervisor, right? He wanted Shravani to get married to him, right? Then why were they leaving town? Why were they selling the garage? Why why why?

Tarun's words rang in her ears- "He has gone to meet Girishji one last time.."

A serene, peaceful smile made its way from Archana's heart to her lips- like a ray of sunshine clearing the foggy ambience. As she figured out what this meant, for the first time after she had heard Manav and Tarun's conversation, Archana truly felt happy.

Manav paid the taxi driver and got out of the taxi at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport in Vile Parle, Mumbai. He looked here and there for a while, not knowing the rules of an airport, and wondered whether he was supposed to buy some kind of ticket to wait there. Finally he spotted the one whom he had come to meet, reflected for a while, drew in a deep breath and walked towards her.

Shravani was sitting alone on a seat, with her bags near her, waiting for her father who was getting the e-ticket from the counter, so that they could enter inside the airport and claim their boarding passes. Today she wasn't wearing the sari she had been wearing since many days, rather she was again wearing her normal clothes- a light yellow coloured churidaar salwar. Her eyes were red and her face looked pale. She had a faraway look on her face and seemed to be lost, not noticing when Manav came and slid in beside her.

He sat quietly for a while, looking at Girishji, and then said in a soft voice- "Sudden decision?"

Shravani came out of her thoughts. She looked at him in surprise- he had not talked to her in this tone for days now. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"Now please don't cry Shravani," said Manav gravely. "Your father will think I made you cry.. we are in an airport.. people are watching.."

She controlled herself, sniffing a little. After sometime she asked, "How come you.."

"You called Tarun to congratulate him for the engagement na.. then I came to know that both of you are leaving today," he said, staring at the ground.

Shravani was looking at him without blinking. "It is very sweet of you to still come to meet my father after all that happened."

Manav shrugged. "I came to meet you."

She was shocked. She looked at his face- trying to comprehend whether he was angry with her and had come to vent his frustration at her, whether he had come to tell her how much she had hurt him, or whether he had come plainly for the satisfaction of seeing her walk away from him crying. He looked at her, there was no anger or frustration in his eyes- a strange softness had taken its place.

"I came because I wanted to talk to you about some things." He continued. "When we had our first big fight- you had made a number of accuses against me- that I had always taken you for granted, that I had married Archana inspite of her being from a richer household, whereas I had rejected your genuine feelings saying you can't adjust in my family, you are more educated, that I had used you.. etc.."

Shravani lowered her head. "I'm sorry.."

"No need to be sorry." He said, unaffectedly. "These were genuine grievances. Since we both are ending this chapter of our life today, I wanted to tell you everything so that you don't think about all this anymore and move on in life."

Shravani could not say anything.

"You always felt I took you for granted, right?" he said, staring at the ground. "You always felt I came to you only for help hai na Shravani? Well you are justified if you felt so. I never wanted to take you for granted, but somehow maybe it turned out that way, cos I always asked you for help, but could never give you what YOU wanted in return. You helped me everytime, and you were always there for me, but I couldn't give you the one thing you wanted in return. Somehow it turned out to be a one way street. I'm sorry."

Shravani hung her head. "Don't embarrass me Manav," she said. "I know you asked me for help, cos you considered me your friend, nothing else."

"I shouldn't have done it." He said sadly. "I still remember how when you had asked me for marriage the first time, I had refused and asked you to end the matter. You had promised you would move on. We had stopped meeting- but then I came back into your life, cos I wanted a job for Archana in your NGO. Tarun had told me at that time- Manav don't do it, it will start the cycle all over again and Shravani will find it difficult to get over you- but I hadn't listened. Archana's life was in shambles at that time, she had no direction and somewhere I had felt at that time that this job would do good to her, and so I approached you, quite forgetting that I needed to stay away from you for your own good. If I hadn't come back in your life, who knows you might have moved on comfortably."

Shravani was silent. "Even in those days she was very important to you.."

"She was always important to me." Agreed Manav. "At that time, I didn't know I loved her, but I used to think about her a lot- her happiness, her tears, her life, her future. And I didn't know when I started considering her MY responsibility, when I started having that urge to make sure she was happy- so I came to you, asking you for help, inspite of myself having told you that we should not meet for sometime. You needed a grieving period- I didn't give you one. I'm sorry."

Shravani eyes filled up with tears again. "Manav what did I lack that you disregarded my feelings everytime and gave them scant importance?" she asked. "I did everything I could to be good to you and your family.. was I not beautiful, or educated enough or good natured or.."

"That is a question to which I have no proper answer." Said Manav. "I cannot explain what was there in Archana, that was not there in you, there is no way I can compare- you were right when you said that there were many difficulties in marriage with Archana just as if would have been with you- yet I refused your love saying you and I are not meant to be together, but married Archana- inspite of the fact that they were both one sided love marriages. Till date I have no reason why I did that- I can just say that, whatever little I knew of Archana, whatever I had seen of her- I felt she was the kind of person who would accept me the way I am with NO DEMANDS or complaints. She was the kind who would accept not only me, but also my responsibilities, my family, like she had taken over responsibilities of her family at a young age. I always knew it would be unfair of me to unload all responsibilities of a dysfunctional family on a young bride, which is why I never wanted to get married in the first place TO ANY GIRL. But Archana was different.

I don't know what exactly drew me towards her. But I can only say it was the little things she did, even though being a stranger, that made an impact. I had got used to being there for others, making others happy all the time. But she was the sort of person who actually wanted me to be happy, just cos I had helped her once or twice. I still remember, she had enquired for my garage loan, and once when I was unhappy cos of a fight with Sachin, she had come to Baba's play even though her family had not wanted to come there. She had thought it would make me happy, since I had invited her there.. who was I that she thought so much for me? No one- just a mechanic working in front of her house. But she IS like that- she thinks about everyone, she CARES about everyone. For me she was like the angels in fairy tales who try to make life sweet for everyone- she is innocent and gullible, she believed others over me, but she has a heart of gold. And so I could never hate her- not even when people pointed out her mistakes repeatedly and felt I should move on and forget her. I could never do it. I had compromised on hundreds of things in my life, but she was the only one I really, truly wanted in life- for which I was willing to fight against everything- against the fences of class and society, which I had felt made our (Shravani-Manav) match impossible, against the villains in our life, wanting to drive us against each other, against fate- I wanted to fight against everything just to be with her- she was THAT special. You never lacked anything Shravani, its just that SHE WAS A LITTLE TOO SPECIAL for me. I cannot explain it- it was just like, my love for her, and my intense desire to be with her gave me courage to weave an impossible dream and try to break all the shambles which entrapped me- which I had never ever thought of doing for your sake, which I felt would be impossible to break if I got married to you. Sometimes love can give a lot of strength- and my love for Archana gave me that strength to reach out for my dream."

Shravani was silent. "And I snatched her away from you." She said, as if in a trance. "I snatched away the one thing you truly wanted in life."

Manav nodded. "That is the only reason I cannot forgive you Shravani, ever. Archana was the only happiness I wanted, for which I fought against destiny, and you shattered all my dreams. People say it is important to look at the bigger picture, to notice how good you've been to me always, and to disregard this one mistake of yours in favour of all you and Girishji have done for me so far- but I don't want to clear my debts in this manner- by getting into unwanted relationships. I know it won't keep both you and me happy, cos the cloud will always be present between us- that unspoken fact that you betrayed me and robbed me of the biggest happiness of my life. I'm sorry, I'm no God, I can't forgive you for it, that's it. And so I know our marriage will not be a successful one at all, with a foundation so weak. People wanted me to clear my debts towards you and Girishji by agreeing to get married to you, but I wanted to clear my debts by being HONEST to you and by trying to make you MOVE ON in life." He looked at her. "And that's what I tried to do."

Tears fell on Shravani's lap, as her head remained low. For a long time she did not say anything.

"Manav," she finally asked, "If I had not broken your marriage and Archana had gone away on her own, THEN would you have married me?"

Manav thought for a while. "I don't know." He said finally. "Not immediately. Not before I had moved on.. and I don't know how much time that means.."

Shravani let out a desperate sigh at this answer. "Sh**!" she said.

Manav grew irritated. "Shravani what are you made up of haan?" he questioned her. "I have rejected you repeatedly, STILL how can you come back again and again? Shravani- you are many many steps ahead of me-financially, culturally, status-wise and education-wise- I am a NOBODY in front of you, I don't deserve someone like you, why are you WASTING your life dreaming of me? You have SO MUCH potential, SO MUCH love within you, you can be so happy in life, but instead you are throwing away the happiness you are getting.. what for?? Why don't you just MOVE ON!!!"

"Even I can ask you this question." Shot back Shravani. "You too aren't moving on, in fact you refused marriage cos of Archana."

Manav was taken aback. "It was not cos of Archana," he said. "I did it for myself."

"I can't believe that. And anyway, the point remains the same, you too aren't moving on."

"At least I'm trying." Said Manav. "I don't speak to her these days, ever since I signed the divorce papers, I haven't tried to maintain contact with her, rather I've distanced myself from her completely. I pay more attention to my family and work these days.. maybe I've not been completely successful.. but at least I'm trying.. you aren't even trying.. at least do it for your Papa Shravani, in the name of love we have no right to hurt them by subjecting ourselves to heartache.. when we make ourselves unhappy we hurt our parents the most.."

Shravani looked at her father, who was still in the line. So true. Ever since all this had started, her father had always been troubled and anxious. He had gone out of his way to support her even though he knew she was wrong, trying to overcome her mistakes by his good deeds. It had led him nowhere. What right did she have to hurt him so much? She felt ashamed to think that she had always thought so much about Manav, but not thought even a little bit about her father- in front of whom she had blatantly put forward conditions when he had tried to get her married to a good guy. In front of everyone, she had embarrassed him. Archana was much better than her, she thought. At least she didn't hurt her parents who had given birth to her, in this manner.

She wiped away a tear from her cheek, looking very thoughtful. Manav noticed it. No words were required any more.

Her father came back to her a litte while later. He noticed Manav, who stood up at once. "You.. here?" asked Girishji doubtfully, looking at Shravani's red eyes.

"I came to say goodbye," said Manav politely. "Whatever happened is unfortunate and cannot be reversed, but you have always been my mentor and guide, and I owe everything, every bit of my knowledge to you.." he bent down to touch his feet.

Girishji slowly put one hand on his head. "Don't expect me to make you Supervisor again." He said. "I know you've handled the garage well, but.. I somehow don't want the two of us to be involved in any way now.. I'm selling the garage.. you can work as a mechanic for as long as you want..

Manav nodded. Girishji averted his eyes. "Take care of everyone." He said coldly, and started wheeling the luggage.

Shravani got up. "Don't worry about him." She said. "He is upset right now cos he hadn't expected you to go against him.. he knows you are not wrong, but is fighting against it.. give him some time, he will be okay.."

Manav looked at Girishji sadly, then turned to Shravani. "Take care of yourself, and PLEASE DON'T MISS ME."

Shravani tried to laugh, then bent to hide a tear. "Listen, do you want me to tell Archana the truth?" she asked. "I can tell her that I lied about you.."

Manav considered. "Leave it now." he said dejectedly. "Its too late to go back on your words now. Tomorrow is the D-day, if you go against your words now at the last moment, she will think that I asked you to lie.. one amongst the many accusations on me is also that I supposedly tried to 'convince' people to lie for me either by money or by force."

"But.."

"Leave it Shravani.." said Manav. "I know the mentality of these Karanjkars very well by now.. I have no wish to go through all of it again now.. just leave it.."

Shravani felt bad. "I'm sorry Manav.."

"Leave it now Shravani.."

"Can you ever forgive me for this.."

No answer.

"Manav..?"

No answer.

"Please say something.."

"Its time for your flight." He said coldly.

She nodded, lifting her hand bag from the seat. "I'll miss you." She said, leaning in for a hug. Manav was taken aback, and felt extremely uncomfortable. She stood close to him with her eyes closed, while he looked uncomfortably to see if someone was watching.. oh hell.. Girishji was looking at him with fire in his eyes.. Manav separated from Shravani. "Your Papa is waiting." He reminded.

She nodded. She turned and walked away, controlling her urge to look back at Manav. He was there, and she wanted to have one last look at him. But she remembered his talks about trying to move on, and ultimately,  she didn't turn even once, and instead went and joined her father, and they walked into the airport together- with Shravani feeling more confident of herself than ever.

**********************XXX*************************

This is subpart one people! Subpart two coming up in a few minutes. Stay tuned. :-)

nikitagmc thumbnail

Subpart two : Advice galore

Archana waited for a long time, looking here and there for Manav. She wondered how much more time he would take. Her family was insisting on the engagement ceremony to begin, but Manav hadn't come as yet. Tarun, meanwhile had straightaway refused to start until Manav came back.

"What?!?" he said. "If you have your priorities, even I have them! We WILL wait for Manav."

Archana looked at him worriedly as he said so. Time was running out for the function. Her parents were getting worried about why Tarun was throwing tantrums at the last moment. People had started gossiping that maybe there was some last moment tension.

"Tarun please.. people will start talking if the engagement doesn't start soon.. it is getting late.. they also have to go home.."

"You are always concerned about this only," said Tarun in an icy voice. 'what will people say'- not for a moment do you ever think- ' what will Tarun think, right'? Your family chose not to respect my friends, but I chose to, so I will wait for them, come what may!"

"Tarun.. it will get late.. there are so many guests.."

"Tell them that one special guest is yet to come.."

"Tarun.. please cooperate.."

"Did you cooperate with me? Haan? No na? Then why are you begging cooperation from me?

"Enough Tarun!!!" whispered Vaishali loudly. She looked at him in anger. "If you have already decided to make a mess of my special day by fighting like wildcats and delaying the engagement and making people talk then go ahead, cancel the engagement! No need to have this tamasha here!"

Tarun was stunned. "Vaishu I.."

"Aai is asthamatic, she is already getting nervous.. what do you want her to have a panic attack right now? All cos you are not happy with the way the engagement went, so you chose to hold up against my family by hitting them where it hurts the most- making mockery of relations in public? Why don't you cancel the engagement if you are so hurt? No, you will not do that- you will simply use your powers of being the guys side to hit back. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind and that is what you are doing now."

"Vaishu.. listen.."

"Don't speak to me Tarun!" said Vaishali, evidently very upset. "Please don't speak to me. You seem to care about your own ego more than my happiness ."

Archana felt uncomfortable. She called Manav on his cell phone, he asked her to give the cell to Tarun.

"Manav I.."

"DON'T YOU HAVE BRAINS OR WHAT!!!" Manav fired him angrily. "Why are you making a mess at the last moment?"

"I was just waiting for you.." Tarun said in a small voice, all his spunk deflated. "As it is these people didn't treat you well, I thought at least I should give you basic respect.."

"Cut the crap! Tarun, stop acting immature! What you are doing doesn't show respect rather it shows anger and insolence on your part. No need to hold the function cos of one person. Do you have any idea how much you must have hurt Vaishali by this tug of war between Karanjkars and you? If you had problems you should have sorted them beforehand rather than playing such tricks! Are the guests fools that they are waiting for one person?!? They are also hungry, they have come to wish you, bless you! At least treat them well na, don't take them for granted."

Tarun was silent now. "I'm going." He said, cutting the phone. "He looked at Archana and Vaishali. "Chalo," he said in a small voice.

The rituals for Sakharpuda had half-finished by the time Manav reached. He stood in a corner where Archana was standing. "Did Tarun act difficult?" he asked.

Archana was taken aback. "A little." She whispered. "I think he is very upset with all of us.. and that somehow got reflected in his actions.. I don't think he meant to be mean to us.." she said, upset at the way things had turned out.

"I will talk to him, don't worry." Manav said, gravely. "He needs to pull his socks up and start behaving in a more balanced manner than just like a rich man's kid who can have things his own way everytime."

Archana looked at him with respect. She knew that now that Manav had taken charge of this matter, she did not have to worry any more. She could see people pointing towards the two of them- "They look so good together,"- they muttered. "Do you want something?" she asked. "It was very hot outside.."

Manav looked around. "Just water, nothing else." He said and walked over to the counter. His head seemed to be in a pretty bad state today, well what was new in that, he thought sarcastically to himself. As he was trying to take out a pill from the strip, it fell down from his jittery hands. He bent down to pick it up, but someone had put a foot on it. The 'someone' picked up the strip.

"What medicine is this?" asked Ajit in a quizzical manner, trying to read the name. "Very unfamiliar.."

"Give it back."

"Sure!" said Ajit, playing with it, quite enjoying himself. "I hope you are enjoying the function- you see, since these people are related to me, so technically I'm amongst the hosts- and you are amongst the guests, so I hope you are comfortable."

"I'll be very comfortable once you give that back to me," Manav tried to snatch it from his hands. Ajit dodged and laughed evilly. "I saw you coochie-cooing with Archu," he teased. "Make sure the Karanjkars don't see you, or Satish. They might throw you out."

"F*** off!." Said Manav irritatedly. He had no wish to spoil his mood owing to Ajit. Ajit cackled like a goose.

"Actually I wanted to share a good news with you." He continued. "I'm getting married soon."

Manav raised an eyebrow. "Really?" he said. "Who's the unfortunate girl?"

Ajit cackled even more loudly at this one. "Unfortunate is right!" he said, punching Manav lightly on his arm. "Have you heard of Mehta industries?- big business house it is- they have a number of malls, and only one daughter!"

Manav understood. "Good for you!" he said, looking around irritatedly. He decided to walk away.

"Hey Manav," said Ajit, tossing the medicine strip towards him. "Don't worry yaar, I won't hurt you. I have always maintained that I had no enmity with you. My ire was only against Archu. Anyone who meddles in my line of fire ends up getting burnt. Stay out of her life, and you'll be fine. Anyway, she has found someone else now.." he said, looking at Satish. Now that Satish and Archana were probably getting married, they were his next targets.

Manav felt scared. It was the grin that is seen on the face of a hunter when he knows the prey has nowhere to run. He had always felt scared of Ajit's almost psychotic, behavior, which bordered on the extreme and sometimes was self-destructive as well. He didn't know what to expect from him now. He looked at Archana as he walked back- she was smiling looking at Vaishali and Tarun. He thought of going and standing next to her again, but then wondered about what Satish and others would think. He quietly went and stood in a different corner, eyeing Archana, thinking about how beautiful she was looking today, and what a pity it was, that they weren't together, as man and wife, in the function.

The ceremony was almost over. Tarun and Vaishali exchanged the rings and everyone clapped and cheered for them. They took the blessings of their parents, and then Tarun led Vaishali to Manav, while the guests followed them with their eyes.

"He is like my brother." He said softly. "He was the one who made this match possible in the first place, and I know that in future also, if I ever behave badly to you, he will be the one who will give me the first slap. When he took responsibility of this match, he took it in full sense. He can do anything but run away from his responsibility. I know for a fact that I don't listen to anyone's advice as much as I listen to him." There was a gulp in his voice. "I don't favour him for nothing- not for ego, not for prestige. I favour him bcos I know he cares for me truly."

There are some moments in life when indirect conversations leave more effect. This was one of them. Vaishali understood the reason for Tarun's obstinate behavior- yes, it had been unjustified and stubborn, but she could see the pinch behind the loud wails now- he must have been hurt to watch someone close be so upset. She smiled and bent down to touch Manav's feet. Manav blessed her and hugged Tarun, as Archana watched moist-eyed.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Y1dN26ds8[/YOUTUBE]

"Tell now." said Archana, sitting next to Manav, as he was eating his food, sitting all alone outside the hall. Manav looked surprised. "Tell what?"

"You told me that  you wanted to say something." She lied.

"When?"

"Before you went to get water." She said, hoping that this would give her some time.

He sat wondering what he was about to tell her. A little later, he gave up. "Lots of things miss my attention these days." He admitted.

Archana nodded. "Shravani..??"

"She went away."

A nod of the head. "Why?"

"She finally understood that she needed to move on."

Another nod of the head. "How is everyone taking it- your decision of not marrying her and so on.." she tried to prod.

Manav looked at her irritatedly. "Why do you want to know?" he said, almost getting up. Archana felt sheepish and downcast. Almost instantaneously, however, he sat back again. She was surprised.

"They didn't take it well." He said. "They're all angry with me. Aai gives me guilt trips all day, the twins are upset and don't talk. Sachin's anger on me has doubled and his accusations that I'm a hypocrite who doesn't think about family have intensified. Baba is the only one who is very happy, but that doesn't really help me. He is celebrating with alcohol. His support is as good as no support."

Archana felt bad. "It seems everyone wanted you to get married to Shravani," she said. Manav nodded. "It was a straight ticket to a settled family life with no differences, a great financial future, and Shravani is basically a good girl, inspite of whatever bad we had between us. So it's understandable.." Archana nodded. She couldn't hold it any longer. "Why did you refuse?" she blurted out.

Manav raised an eyebrow. Archana bit her lip.

"I don't believe in marriages anymore and I didn't want to get married to Shravani anyway. That's it." He said- giving out no reason in particular. Archana looked disappointed.

"The truth of life is that we come alone and we go alone." Said Manav philosophically. "Our parents, our families, everyone- our best friends- no matter how close everyone is to us- yet there comes a time when we stand alone with the decisions we make in life. After all I'd done for my family, I had expected them to support me through my difficult phase, but it clearly doesn't happen all the time. Today I'm facing guilt trips, jabs, anger everything. Not to forget the fact that my situation today is truly difficult- from my lack of education to financial problems, and then facing taunts due to the financial problems and wrong decisions I made. Today I can't even take on a different job to earn more money for the garage simply cos I'm not qualified. I'm working as hard as I can, doing overtime to support home and bank instalments- and my garage reopening is a distant dream now- cos I have no money to fund it. Even if I want, it is difficult for me to change my life now, simply cos apart from my family- I have no other support system- no financial security, no education. The minute I lose the security of my family members, I get crippled and lonely. This is what my state is. I threw away my education for my family and couldn't have a financially stable future cos everything always went into expenses- but today the same family is not supporting me at the time when I expected them to stand for me. Today I have nothing."

Archana felt very bad to hear Manav talk in this manner.

"Did you understand why I told you all this?" Manav asked her.

Archana nodded. "You wanted to share your feelings and disappointment with someone." She said. "I understand.."

Manav shrugged. "Nonsense." He said, matter of factly. "I'm telling you all this so that you don't repeat my mistakes in life." He brought his chair a little closer to her. "I threw away everything for my family and never cared about my INDIVIDUAL GROWTH. Yes, my intentions were good, and if I get a choice tomorrow, I would STILL choose my family. I have no regrets that I sacrificed for their sake. However, I also understand that I have lost  A LOT by not working on myself. If I was educated- then I could have taken some other job and would not have to listen their taunts of how I'm going to manage the house. I wouldn't have to listen to Sachin scolding me for mistakes made in business. If I was financially okay, then people couldn't have forced and arm-twisted me to accept their decisions and marry Shravani for money. Education and financial stability give you support and the luxury to make your own decisions even when your family members go against you for some reason. When you are lonely, then you will need it. At least you can think of starting life afresh and trying to move on. Look how Shravani, though completely broken down and depressed, shifted to a different city (so that she wouldn't have to face me) without thinking of anything else- cos she has the confidence that she can survive anywhere and pick life from a new page- education and money, her contacts, her position- they give her that confidence. I can't do that- I know I have to slog it off here itself in Mumbai and pay my bank loans through that same mechanic job. I want to get away from this atmosphere that suffocates me, where no one understands me, but I CAN'T do that. I don't have options AT ALL. Are you getting my point?"

Archana nodded.

"And the reason I felt like telling you all this is because I know you are like me only." He said gravely. "You give up everything for your family- EVERYTHING. When you came to my home after marriage, you were prepared to give up job, later when Aai asked you to quit school, you had agreed for that also, just to keep her happy. That is how you are, and I know it. It's a good thing to think about family, but self-growth is something which is equally important." He remembered Ajit talking about how Satish and Archana were his next targets. It was obvious he would break them up next. In fact, it was obvious that Ajit would never let Archana stay happily with anyone. He almost choked as he said the next few lines. "If you focus on your own growth, then it won't be so difficult whether you are married, unmarried, whatever. You won't have to be dependent on anyone, and that makes life better. It leaves you open with choices at the end of the day. It also helps you pick on faster in life when you fall once." He noticed Archana was looking at him without blinking. "Did you understand what I wanted to say? I might not be giving you much alimony, but trust me this advice will help you much more than that after the divorce takes place tomorrow."

The mention of the divorce brought Archana to the present- oh yes!- just one day more! Tomorrow they would be getting separated, she thought, and the thought made her extremely uneasy.

"I was just wondering.. how will you manage everything alone.. you have so many problems.. bank loans and.."

Manav shrugged it. "I didn't tell you all this to get your sympathy. I just wanted to drive the point that you must focus on your growth along with other things in life. Don't worry about me- life's struggles have made me tough- I will wriggle out of this myself."

"And your family?"

"Disappointed with them, but I love them just the same." He said shortly. "They are misunderstanding me now and are upset. Hopefully, things will be better soon. The good thing is that I don't keep expectations from people who disappoint me once and it's the same now. Less expectations means less heartbreak." He hesitated a little. "There is something in which I need your help though.."

Archana couldn't believe her ears. "Yes?" she said frantically. "Yes?"

"Do you remember Fanny Ma'am?"

Yes, she did. She was Manav's old school teacher whom they had visited on Manav's b'day. A smile came on Archana's face as she remembered how much both of them had enjoyed that day.

"What about her?"

"Do you remember what she had told me about her orphanage on my last meeting..?"

******flashback begins*******

They had a most wonderful dinner together. Fanny Ma'am had even made a cake. The children chattered and she grumbled at them. They had a lot of fun playing Dumb Charades with the children later. As it got close to 10, Manav and Archana decided to take their leave. Before they left, Fanny Ma'am pulled them aside.

"Manav," she said somewhat anxiously. "I have some property issues with this place. Although we are looking at things and hopefully they will settle down, yet I'm nervous. Next fortnight I have to go to London to Robert. My helpers are good with the children, they will take care of them, but if anything goes wrong, can you manage a little? At least till I come back? I don't want to come back to see my children's home vacant and all the children on the streets.."

"You don't worry Ma'am," Manav said, very much moved. "I'm there na? I'll handle it all.. I.."

"No need to 'handle it all'." She said firmly. "You have too many issues to think off right now. Just keep in touch with my lawyer, that's it, and intimidate me if anything serious happens. I really can't trust anyone else over these things."

"Sure, Ma'am." Fanny Ma'am gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Happy b'day once again my boy, may the Lord give you everything you wish for, and more.."

***********flashback ends***************

Archana pushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "So what happened?' she asked.

"Fanny Ma'am never returned to Mumbai after that London trip she made." Said Manav gravely. "She fell ill in London, and though she is better now, her family doesn't want her to come back to India and live alone. So in all probability she won't be coming back now. And the legal matters of the orphanage haven't been sorted out as well."

Archana felt nervous. "So..??"

"The lease for the place ends in 2-3 months.. I'm looking into the matter along with Fanny Ma'am's helpers, but in case things do not work out, can you.. can you please look for a place for the children.. like.. a good orphanage or something.. where they will be well looked after? Since you work in an NGO, I think you can find out.."

"Yes I will." Said Archana at once. "I will find out whatever I can."

Manav nodded. "Thankyou."  He said, and turned back to his plate, as Archana looked at him. She felt happy and satisfied from within.

A number of thoughts went through her mind. Manav still cared for her. Manav still thought about her. He had tried hard to show his detachment in the past two weeks, but had failed at the most critical two instances when it was required of him to prove it- he had not said yes to Shravani inspite of all the pressure unleashed on him, and he had shown it to her today, inspite of all his impeccable control, that he cared about her future and her well being. He hadn't talked to her in days trying to stay detached, but when he felt he needed to give her some well meaning advice, he had himself talked it out with her. He didn't care whether she was with him or not- he just wanted her to be happy. Her heart 'aww..ed' at the thought of how Manav had tried to hide his feelings every time, but had failed miserably. He did not accept it, and he would never accept it, but somewhere she KNEW that Manav had refused Shravani cos he still loved HER, there was no other reason. She knew he would not accept it and would say that he no longer thought of her, that he had taken the decision cos he was burnt of marriage, but somewhere, she just KNEW it- it was a woman's instinct which told her that Manav had chosen to be true to his true love- and that was HER.

She blushed as she thought about it, looking at Manav lovingly. Suddenly her gaze fell on a pair of angry eyes and she stood up at once. Manav was surprised, and followed her gaze.

Savita Aai!!!

He stood up too, as Savita Aai entered with the twins. The twins looked annoyed to see him with Archana. "Where's Baba?" he asked them.

"Must be lying drunk in a corner." Said Savita Aai in an annoyed voice. "He is still in depression about the divorce tomorrow, whereas ideally we are the ones who should be in depression owing to your stupid acts which have ruined our life."

Manav sighed. He gestured towards Archana. "Not here please Aai," he whispered.

"Why not here?" shot back Savita Aai. "She should also come to know na how she has destroyed my family and our happiness." Archana felt weird. "Please come in," she said, trying to smile.

"Aye.. don't do this natak!" said Savita angrily. "I have come cos of Tarun and his family, otherwise none of us are interested in keeping relations with you. Chalo!" she signaled Vedant and Vandita, who followed her quietly. Archana tried to smile at Vandita but she looked coldly at her and then turned her face away. Archana felt very bad.

"I'll go in." she said to Manav, who nodded. He sat again and continued eating when someone else came near him. He lifted his head. It was Satish.

"Hello Manav." Satish smiled at him. "How are you?"

Manav was about to stand but Satish gestured him to stop and instead sat next to him. "I'm fine", Manav said, gulping nervously. Satish always made him uneasy.

"So how are you handling your financial matters?" asked Satish.

Manav gave a nervous laugh. "Managing somehow. I've got the amount of monthly instalment reduced to Rs. 10,000 from Rs. 25,000. I'm trying to manage the money through my job. Girishji had made me Supervisor, but now.." he trailed off. "I'm making up the instalment money through overtime." He said.

"hmm.. nice." Said Satish thoughtfully. "But what about your own garage? If you spend all your money on instalment and household expenses, then from where will you save money to get the garage repaired?"

"I'm looking for other sources of income right now. Plus I have some savings.. let's see.. as of now.. I'm saving money on labour.. clearing and repairing whatever I can on my own."

"Good." Said Satish thoughfully. Manav wondered why Satish was talking so much to him and was so interested in his life. He wished Satish would go away. He wasn't comfortable talking to him.

"So tomorrow is the divorce." Said Satish after a while.

"Umm.. yeah." Said Manav. He freaked out everytime someone reminded him of the fact.

"So after that what?" asked Satish.

"Umm.. nothing.." said Manav, wondering why the hell was Satish, the person who had sanctioned his bank loan asking him such questions. He wondered if he should ask Satish to shut up.

"Do you know in all probability I'm getting married to Archana?"

Manav was stunned. He looked at Satish, who was absolutely calm. He did not say anything and hung his head sadly.

"Manav," Satish said in a grave voice. "Earlier when I came to know that you and Archana are getting divorced then I had asked Sulochana Kaku whether Archana would be able to forget everything or not cos she is emotional.. but after today's function I feel I should be doubting you and not Archana.."

"What do you mean?"

"Will you be able to live upto this divorce?" asked Satish firmly. "I don't want you to divorce now and then keep hovering around Archana all the time later simply cos you are not able to forget her.. that will mess up her and my life too.. You have spoilt her life enough- not any more please!"

"You need not worry on that account." Said Manav firmly. "Today is the last day you have seen me and Archana together, and that too I came only bcos of Tarun. Tomorrow, when we get divorced, after that, I won't even show her my face. Complete detachment. No meeting, no talking, nothing."

Satish looked doubtful. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely." Said Manav confidently. "I'm as firm in my detachments as I am in my commitments. Don't worry, I shall never intrude in Archana's life now. I had asked her for some help, but now I will tell someone else to look into the matter. Don't worry- I won't mess up your married life."

Satish nodded. He got up and went away. Manav watched him go with a sad look on his face.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2KD-Rz6_R0[/YOUTUBE]

The traditional ceremony had taken a somewhat fun-filled mood by the time Archana went back inside the main hall. The groom's side had put on some fun filled Punjabi songs and the whole ambience had become cheerful as people danced to the music. Everyone joined in, and Tarun and Vaishali were ultimately pulled in too. The Kapoors and the Karanjkars smiled at the successful culmination and were thoroughly pleased.

Archana too smiled at the people dancing and enjoying themselves. Still thinking about Manav, she didn't notice when she bumped into Savita Aai.

"I'm sorry," she said, horrified on seeing the cold-drink spilt on her sari.

Savita Aai was mad with rage. "Who will pay for this?" she shouted. (Thankgod for the loud music!-Archana thought). "I'm sorry Aai, I'll help you clean it up.." she offered.

"Aye.. don't call me Aai.." said Savita, showing her a finger. "And don't try and be sweet to me okay.. you stay away from me and my family.." she said. "If I catch you talking to Manav or trying to be sweet to Vandu again na.. then I shall set you right.."

Beads of perspiration ran across Archana's forehead. "I was just.." she stammered.

"No need to meet them. Quit all dreams of coming back to that house again- characterless girl!! ." Said Savita angrily. "Bcos of you, my happy family got broken and shall never be the same again. Bcos of you I have suffered so many losses. Bcos of you my son is upset and disappointed. Such a bad omen you are to that house! Enough wrecking you have done.. now if you try to come close again.. think about it.. you know how nasty I can get.. hai na Archu beta?" she said in a wicked tone. Archana panicked. She hoped Aai would not make a dirty scene there, as she had done in the past. "I'll leave." She murmured and ran away, very scared. The function would be getting some time later, she didn't want any more trouble. It was best to avoid the family till the function ended.

She went and stood quietly near her Aai, thinking of everything that had happened that evening. The words chanted by everyone rang in her ears- "Only one day more!"

Yes, she thought. Only one night left to make the decision of a lifetime.

It was late by the time Manav came back home.  The house was in darkness. He entered and almost tripped over his Baba, who was lying on the floor.

"Baba! Baba! Oh God!" Manav knelt near him. He was smelling of alcohol. It seemed he had passed out again. "Maaanaav.." he murmured. "Maaanav.."

Manav helped his father up and made him lie down on the diwan. He switched on the lights. Savita Aai and the children, who had come back home before him, were sleeping. He brought a jug of water and splashed it on his Baba's face.

"Aaahhh!!" said Damodar, getting back to his senses. "Manav, where were you? Why are you so late?"

Manav helped him drink some water. "I wanted to be by myself for sometime." He said.

Damodar started crying. "What sort of fate has god written for you! Your marriage is breaking and I can't do anything for you."

Manav did not reply. He removed Damodar's shoes instead.

Damodar pulled him by the arm. "Come." He said suddenly. "Let's go to Archana's house. I will beg her to understand, and accept you again and.."

"Baba please!" said Manav irritatedly. "No use making a tamasha anywhere now. She will not come and you know that too. Please, ab jo hona hai.. shanti se ho.."

"I cannot bear it.." wept Damodar. "Such a good daughter in law God gave us.. and now.. how will she live Manav.. you may divorce her.. but that will not mean the end of troubles for her.. Ajit will destroy her life anyway.. you also know that."

A pang of sadness hit his heart. "Why do you remind me this again and again?" he said softly. "You know there is nothing I can do anymore.."

"You can do." Said Damodar assertively. "If you really cared about this marriage, you would have done it.. you wouldn't have given up.. you would have searched for more proofs.. Archana knows very little about you.. only that much which she came to know from close relatives.. so her falling prey to misunderstandings and not trusting you and believing her relatives is understandable.. but it is YOUR duty to provide proofs to her and help her out of this situation.. your duty to save this marriage.. but you.."

Manav looked tired. "Baba, for sometime, can you please think ABOUT ME and not just about your daughter in law or this marriage?" He said in a small voice. "I have too many problems on my head and I'm trying to manage things.. matters which are far more important than a marriage.." (there was a crack in his voice).. "..please.. please try and understand your son for once.. at least YOU don't give me guilt trips.. whole house is doing it anyway."

Damodar softened. "Manav I know beta, I know you have been through difficult times now, but I know you won't be happy without Archana na, that is why I'm saying, DO SOMETHING about it.."

"I can't do it." Said Manav ultimately, utterly frustrated. "I don't have time, patience, energy, resources and support. I am standing at crossroads where BIGGER problems are facing me, issues MUCH bigger than a marriage of just 15 days and I have to lay greater emphasis on those problems right now if I have to survive and give a future to my family as well. I don't have time or motivation to go about hunting for proofs. It is said that if things don't go the way you want them too, it means God's will is at work. Maybe this is what God wants for me. I accept his will. I'm done with everything else now." He walked off into the kitchen.

He returned a little later, a glass of lime juice in his hand for his Baba. His Baba, however, was nowhere to be seen. He kept the glass on a table and went inside. "Baba," he called out softly, "Where are you?"

"In here!" called out his Baba cheerfully. He went into the bedroom. His Baba was rummaging in a trunk and finally found a small copper plate. "Chal!" he said.

Manav followed his Baba into the kitchen. "What did you make here?" asked his Baba, seeing the cut lemons.

"Uh-yeah!" Manav went into the living room and got the glass of lime juice that he had left there. When he entered the kitchen again, he was shocked.

His Baba had filled the copper plate with water, and was now introducing a small idol of Ganpati into it.

"Baba no.." said Manav, rushing in. He looked at the plate. The idol of Ganpati was in the centre of the plate filled with water.

Damodar looked at him confidently. "You were right Manav, you've done everything you could.. now God HAS TO do something for you.

Manav looked uneasy. He knew this was a traditional ritual of asking, demanding and in some cases- CHALLENGING God to solve problems when they went completely out of hand and out of control- it was a way of saying- you help me out then I'll take you out. How would God help him now, he thought. Situations had gone totally haywire.. he was himself surviving on hope.. now if nothing positive happened even after this, wouldn't his faith in god lessen?

"You shouldn't have done this." He said quietly. "There are some instances when even God becomes helpless. This is one of them. It isn't fair to put God through tests at such a moment. This is not a fairytale. We cannot expect sudden, unrealistic miracles and pray for God to solve our problems at the snap of a finger. You shouldn't have done this."

And he switched off the lights and walked away, leaving Damodar utterly confused. He didn't know it was due to alcohol or something else, but somehow Manav's words made no sense to him- as if there was something he could not relate to at all. He looked at the idol in the plate and started talking to it- "I don't know what this boy is babbling," he said. "But whatever it is, you've got to help him out of his troubles now. He has frankly done ENOUGH! God helps those who help themselves, right? So now you really have to help him- cos now its not just a matter of saving a marriage- no! It is a question of FAITH. It is a time for you to answer now- whether you reward people for their good deeds, their honesty, or not. If Manav had not stopped to help Varsha that night, then he would have been happy with Archana today, but then Varsha's life would have got ruined. He chose to think about her first- from an ethical point of view he was completely justified. The whole world punished him for it. But I want to see if at least you will reward him for his thoughtfulness or not."

"Else," said Damodar Baba gruffly, "else.. it will prove that morals, ethics and teachings are but a waste of words- there is no point in being good, cos vice wins anyway."

*************XXX**************

Okay people, this was part 67, waiting for your comments and feedback now. Thanks a lot for your support so far, hope this second thread will be equally rocking and you will like the story ahead too. 

I'm still awaiting your PM's regarding your guesses of 'how the pavitra divorce πŸ˜† will stop'. So those who haven't PMed, do it pronto! You don't want to miss this guessing game, do you??? :-)
Athena. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Congratulations Niki! :D
Aah,darn my timings :| I have exams starting soon so I can't comment or read the parts u have written even though I will LOVE to :(

So for now i'll just congratulate u for the new thread =)
And i'll be back at the end of June to read ur updates. Hope Manav and Archana at least get together by then :P That will be a treat to read :)

Take care,
Anushka