DOTW - Infatuation vs Love

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago

Discussion Of The Week

Namaskaram vanakkam ..i don't know how to wish in other two languages πŸ€£ πŸ€£ πŸ€£

i guess everyone is predicting abt who would be IPL champions of 2011
RCB n CSK are having tough fight for the 1st position along with MI
KTK are trying to hard to get into semis
n DC is totally out of league, but still manages to give us surprises like winning against MI on last saturday
Lets hope that the remaining three teams frm south will get into semi-final

i do know that i blabber a lot, but this time, i'll get back to the actual topic...our discussion for this week
But again b4 gng to the topic, i want u to listen to this song n dialogue

Infatuation - This is a word, which we all know frm long time n we know the meaning as well...but recently, Sukumar, in this movie...100% love,  defined same in a new style, grabbing everyone's attention, mostly in joyful way

But, if we think abt it, this is more complicated subject n interesting subject for discussion/debate
how would one differentiate b/w infatuation and love??
we have seen this n will be seeing the same in many movies, not only in our 4 languages but also in every language 

So, my point is how far are these movies crct?
do u think that bcoz of these movies, today's youth are confused b/w Infatuation n Love? do u think that they name infatuation as love?

plz feel free to add ur views on this subject... both frm movies n non-movies as well

Edited by kavya.b - 12 years ago
Kav- will reply soon ... πŸ˜Š

edited*

The most common definition of infatuation is that it is nothing but a plain attraction and is most common in teenagers.

Here are few points i wud like to add are

1) it can happen to at any age and can range from plain attraction to extreme craze
2) it is not restricted to only teenagers but can happen to mature adults too
3) Over all infatuation or attraction or craziness ...u may call it anything u like is something which happens when u r not in a "decided state"
U have not decided wad u want or u dont know wad u want ...
U r still on a self discovery route... basically awareness or realization comes with experience...

Coming onto love... Love has many definitions ...some say even words need not express it ...its abt feelings etc etc...one can define love by themselves...

Love has many forms , from mothers love to her child or a friend's love for his/her friend. ( dont get me wrong here, it is not boyfriend or girlfriend)

For me love is as simple as a mother letting her child walk by himself/herself even though she knows that he/she is going to stumble and fall...but wants her child to fight back and stand up again.

1) Love can/cannot happen at first sight - it depends whether the ending is a happy one or a sad one... may be ppl will say it was just attraction and hence didnt last long or if the couple get married and live happily ever after then ppl will say it was true love... whatever!!! ones own experiences...
2) it does not work like in the movies... getting a signal from god...or having the dramatic eyelock or duppatta flying etc etc nor does the sacrificing mode work ever... it looks too cheesy...
3) Age, experience, and confidence upon ourselves that I can commit to one person for the rest of my life ...when u decide that by urself ...then u can easily fall in love or continue to love if u r already in love ...
4) Love doesnot always have happy endings, they may be sad ones too but if a person still keeps those old memories and relives them to remember the happy times...will that be counted as love and not infatuation????
5) In real life specially in india more than half of the population go for arrange marraiges...some are given a choice some are not ... in such arranged cases ... most of them are successful... I always ask myself why... am still looking for answer ...but again my guess wud be... is it the age old - ever strong- made of pure gold - the mangalasutra??????
Or is it the respect for our traditions...or the family's prestige etc etc ...
My assumption is that... bound with all the factors above... on a personal level a man or a woman... respecting each other as their husband /wife... abv all these factors it is the life long commitment  which makes these marriages work.

SORRY for the big lecture, if anyone had patience to read it until here ...a big thank you
Edited by bhavi20_s - 12 years ago
Great topic Kavya πŸ‘πŸ‘
I do have lots to say 😳... but will add the rest later on..

Acoording to me, Infatuation and Love are two different things.  Sukumar in the movie 100 Love rightly defined Infatuation.  In many of the south indian movies, I get the feeling that they tend to portray infatuation as "love at first sight".   Often times, characters (in movies) fall for people they have never met; so it is primarily based on their appearance or good will that merely attracts them.  Then the rest of the movie pretty much revolves around how the hero or heroine who expereinced "love at first sight" join with the one they were 'attracted to intially'. 

Though it works for cinema, this isn't the case in real life.  However, such movies mislead today's youngsters and make them think of themselves as some hero in a movie and go down the wrong pathway.  Many a times we hear in the news of the violence some men committ as a result of the girls turning down their proposal (after all they are strangers), including throwing acid on the women😑.  These men don't realize that whatever they experience is 'infatuation' and not LOVE.  Love has to be mutual, and has to come on its own and not a forced feeling. 

Now i got to go, but I shall come back with more examples from movies πŸ˜›...
infatuation and love is completely confused between in films...
you know those films where the heroine falls in "love" with the hero for his bravery or whatever and chases around behind him...that is infatuation...because in these kind of films the heroine falls for him based on one incident and calls it "love" or shall i say "love at first sight"?
infatuation is a little less than a crush... its a sort of physical feeling you feel towards someone and it becomes a crush after a while...
love is something that deals with both physical and emotional attachment between two people...it takes a while to occur...it is in my opinion the final result from what starts as infatuation going into a crush then finally arriving at love!
awesome post...

infatuation n love r completely def diff things... infatuation comes from first impression, be it based on actions or looks & love can only develop with time, and based on trust, compatibility and most imptly understanding...

but it gets confused esp cos infatuation usually leads to love and along the way the lines get blurred... but in reality, i guess ppl can only learn to differentiate btw the both with time and maturity.

movies can be and is a huge reason why ppl get confused btw the both, and most movies rarely portray love accurately, they stick to using infatuation to convince the audience its love, but u cant blame movies, you have 2 to 3hrs max to show the love between the couple, add in the fight, drama, song and comedy scenes, your left with max an hr or less, so its easier to just portray infatuation as love...

but the troubling thing is when audience cant diff btw reel and reality, esp in places where movies are seen as gods and audience believe in everything shown on screen... likewise, they believe the infatuation shown as love in screen as love in reality and things get complicated...

Thank you Kavya once again.

We now have a new DOTW for the week, which can be found here:

Thank you