Mythological Masti

Narasimha Jayanti (May 16th): Jai Narsingh Narayan

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Hi guys!

Here's wishing you all a blessed Narasimha Jayanti 🥳

Today marks the occasion on which Shri Vishnu took the form of Narsingh (half man, half lion) in order to save his devotee Prahlad and, in another way, save Hiranyakashyap.

Here's an explanation of how the day is celebrated, a prayer composed by Bhakt Prahlad that is traditionally recited on it, and refresher of the story for all of you:

Today is Narasimha Chaturdasi, the appearance anniversary of Lord Narasimhadeva, the half-man, half-lion incarnation of the Supreme Lord. On this day fasting is observed until dusk, and then followed by feasting. This is a most auspicious day to remember the great mercy the Lord has upon His pure devotees to protect them from all varieties of dangerous situations.
Here are some beautiful prayers for worshipping Lord Narasimhadeva:
namas te narasinghaya
prahlad ahlada-dayine
hiranyakasipor vaksha
sila-tanka-nakhalaye

I offer my obeisances to Lord Narasimha who gives joy to Prahlada Maharaja and whose nails are like chisels on the stonelike chest of the demon Hiranyakasipu.

ito narasimhaya parato narsimho
yato yato yami tato narasimha
bahir narasimho hridaye narasimho
narasimham adim sharanam prapadye

Lord Narasimha is here and also there. Wherever I go Lord Narasimha is there. He is in the heart and is outside as well. I surrender to Lord Naarasimha, the origin of all things and the supreme refuge.

Narasimha Avatar is a proof of the Lord's promise that, one who is totally surrendered to him, will be under the protection of Lord at all times.

Once Hiranyakasipu asked his son Prahlada , what did he learn from his teacher. Prahlada replied, I have learnt the essence of all the learning that Narayana is the one who illumines everything in the mind , gives bliss and fulfillment to all. Prahlada's answer disappointed Hiranyakasipu , and he tried all methods to divert his son from the devotion to God. The child Prahlada was subjected to all kinds of torture , but Prahlada's devotion to god strengthened further. Enraged at his son's unshaken devotion to his arch enemy, Hiranyakasipu decided to put an end forever to Prahlada , by all possible means.

Prahlada was totally in bliss chanting the name of Hari and survived all tortures inflicted upon him. Finally, Hiranyakasipu asked Prahlada , "who is this god that protects you"? Where is he?

Prahlada who had realized the omnipresence of the Lord told that , God is everywhere but one who is slave to senses cannot see him. As long as, one is having Ego and attachment, one cannot see Hari, though he is present within us and outside every being.

Angered by the reply Hiranyakasipu then asked Prahlada "Is Hari in this pillar"? Prahlada said "YES HE IS". Hiranyakasipu broke the pillar with his mace and split the pillar into pieces. A terrible noice was heard. It was like a clap of thunder. The lord in the dreadful from of Narasimha emerged from it. Due to the boon Hiranyakasipu had (that he could not be slayed by either a man nor an animal), the lord had assumed a terrible form of Narasimha (half-man and half-lion). He seized the demon by throat, placed him on his lap, tore his entrails with his nails and killed him. The lord walked with his dead victim and sat on the throne. No one, neither Devas nor Brahma or Lakshmi dared to go near him. This was lord's anger against the person who dared to offend his devotee.

Though, everyone trembled at the sight and the form of Narasimha, Prahlada stood cheerfully in adoration without any fear, as he saw the lord as an embodiment of love.

Lord Narasimha then commended Prahlada to take over the kingdom and he ruled over for long time with justice and righteousness.

For us Hiranyakasipu may appear as demon, but in the view of divinity, he is an instrument to help Prahlada to affirm faith in god. If there had been no Hiranyakasipu, there would have been no Narasimha Avatar. To demonstrate the power of faith, hatred has to be there in one side. Hiranyakasipu was responsible for revealing the devotion, love, faith and greatness of Prahlada and for the appearance of Lord Narasimha.

This story teaches us that we should do the work that has come to us sincerely and efficiently. We should give up attachments and give up everything that is outside the service of the lord. It also teaches us that Lord prevails everywhere. Devotion can be practiced at any point of time. Constant faith in god leads to devotion. Make your home and every place around you a Vaikuntha, a place devoid of miseries and temple of love and unity.

OM SHRI NARASIMHAYA NAMAHA

courtesy of: http://mantraaonline.com/narasimha-jayanthi-katha/#more-743

Edited by lola610 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Here are some vids describing/depicting Narsingh Bhagwan

A clear rendition of the Narsingh Gayatri Mantra:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W6gayhSDMQ[/YOUTUBE]

In the classic Telugu film Bhakta Prahlada:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1DACEOi5g[/YOUTUBE]

In Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CSFS2h88rw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDv9kUm8CgU[/YOUTUBE]

In the classic Hari Darshan:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoP0NWDPAUA[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by lola610 - 12 years ago
Vishakha_Sakhi thumbnail

Happy Nrsimhadeva Jayanti!

tava kara-kamala-vare nakham adbhuta-srngam,
dalita-hiranyakasipu-tanu-bhrngam,
kesava dhrta-narahari-rupa jaya jagadisa hare

"O Kesava! O Lord of the universe. O Lord Hari, who have assumed the form of half-man, half-lion! All glories to You! Just as one can easily crush a wasp between one's fingernails, so in the same way the body of the wasplike demon Hiranyakasipu has been ripped apart by the wonderful pointed nails on your beautiful lotus hands."

Tvayi Rakshathi Rakshakai: Kim Anyai:,
Tvayi Cha Arakshati Rakshakai: Kim Anyai:,
Ithi Nischita Dhee: Srayaami Nityam,
Nruhareh: Vegavathee Tataasrayam Tvam!

"O Kamasikha Narasimha! you are sarva sakthan. When you are resolved to protect some one, where is the need to seek the protection of anyone else? When you are resolved not to protect some one, which other person is capable of protecting us?. There is no one. Knowing this fundamental truth, I have resolved to offer my saranagati at your lotus feet alone that rest at the banks of Vegavathi river." 

May Shri Nrsimhadeva grant you and your family his richest blessings and my he protect you always! ❤️  🤗  🤗 

Thanks for this lovely thread Lola! 🤗
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Somehow, the term 'jayanti' seems strange here, since he came, did his stuff within minutes probably, and left after crowning Prahlad.  So as an avatar, he may at the most have lasted a few days, if not just one day.

Anyway, happy Narasimha jayanti to everyone who celebrates it!!!

Exit question: did it happen the same year as Holika's death on that pyre?
...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Happy Narasimha Jayanti

...Mina... thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
happy narasimha jayanti everyone !!🥳 i just luv narasimha avatar so much, he always interested me as a child and i never got scared of watching prahlad movies unlike other children my age!😆 i even wanted to be narasimha avatar once for halloween, but my mummy said no.😭😆
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Hey guys. Here are several accounts of people who have witnessed the miracles of worshipping Lord Narsimha. Found these on that same fanpage.

During the  Gaura Purnima festival in Mayapur, I called over a devotee in the crowd and asked her to distribute the Lord's charanamrta to the ladies, which she did. Later, when she brought the charanamrta pot back, she remarked that Lord Nrsimhadeva was very merciful to reciprocate so quickly.

"I was praying this morning that I might be able to offer some direct service to Him, and now you have given me this service."

"Yes," I said, "desires are quickly fulfilled in the dham. Just see, the same day you desire, it happened."

"No, not the same day--the same moment," she replied. "The very instant I expressed that desire to serve Him, you called me over."

"Wow! that is amazing," I acknowledged. "Did you hear about how one devotee's eye problem was cured at the same time that Lord Nrsimhadeva's original eyes were placed back, after one donor had bought Him new eyes?"

"Oh, yes," she told me. "As a matter of fact, I was staying in the same building when Lord Nrsimhadeva spoke to her." She added, "You know, there was so much energy around that night that nobody could get any sleep."

Pankajanghri das

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Lord Nrsimhadeva first came to Mayapur, all the pujaris were reluctant to worship His awesome form. Bhava Siddhi das was particularly frightened and always very nervous worshiping Him. One night, after putting the Lord to rest, he was leaving the altar, when he heard such a tremendous sound that it made his hairs stand on end. Looking back fearfully, he saw that everything was in place. So he quickly left, locked the door and paid his obeisances, praying for forgiveness for any offense he might inadvertently have committed. At the end of that night he was awakened by the shaking of his bed. Bhava Siddhi was sleeping on the top of a bunk bed. So he thought it must be the pujari below him getting up for mangala-arati (morning worship).

However, when he opened his eyes, he saw Lord Nrsimhadeva sitting on his bed. That fortunate pujari became very fearful, practically to the point of panic. As he tried to get up, Lord Nrsimhadeva place His two hands, which felt like the weight of the universe, on his shoulders. "Be peaceful, be calm," the Lord consoled him. "I have just come to tell you that when you worship Me in the temple, there is no need to fear Me. Please, give up this fear."

The Lord then disappeared, but Bhava Siddhi began to run up and down the veranda of the Long Building, where he slept.

"What happened?" asked some concerned devotees. But they received only incoherent replies. They started to think maybe he had gone mad or become haunted by a ghost. Finally Bhava Siddhi ran over the the temple and prostrated himself before the door where Lord Nrsimhadeva is worshiped and offered heartfelt prayers. After some time he became a little pacified, and began walking back to his room. "I wonder why everyone is staring at me," he thought. When he looked down, the answer was obvious: He had gone to the temple in his night dress.

I saw Bhava Siddhi at last year's Gaura Purnima festival--he is living in America now--and asked him about that incident. "Yes," he said. "I still have those two marks from Lord Nrsimhadeva on my shoulders. They are almost gone now, but they are still visible."

Pankajanghri das

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The frantic parents of a runaway boy, after searching all over the country, finally heard that their son was at our Mayapur center. They immediately came and spent the whole day looking for him, inquiring at the reception desk and from individual devotees, but they were not at all lucky in tracing him.

At the end of the day, during the sandhya arati (evening worship) of Lord Nrsimhadeva, his mother was praying with folded hands,"My dear Lord, the last time I came here, I happily participated in the chanting and dancing, but now my heart is broken because of my lost son, and I find no pleasure in life anymore. My Lord, if only my son could be returned to me, then I would also raise my hands and chant 'Haribol, Hare Krishna.'"

As these words left her mouth, a figure passed and stepped before her and Lord Nrsimhadeva: it was her lost son

Pankajanghri das

Edited by AishuJSKfan - 12 years ago
Vishakha_Sakhi thumbnail
Woww amazing stories...thank you for sharing them here Aishu! 😊
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Sorry, I forgot to reply before I posted that.

@Lola di, thanks for creating this wonderful thread and that's so wonderful how you related that katha with those mantras, the short story, and the video clips. Always loved hearing about him. My mom used to tell me stories like that before going to bed and I wasn't scared but felt really empowered and protected afterward.

@Vedo, wow! Thanks for that briliant sigg and those mantras with the translations. The translations do help a lot! :D
And thanks for liking those stories.

@Mina, yes, that's so sweet yaar, and you're right. He isn't really scary, but actually makes you feel safer knowing that he's out there.

@Vrish, there are lots of Gods, Godesses, and even saints who have Jayantis and they aren't really their birthdays but rather their "appearance" days as they have always existed, but appeared in that form at that time. That is the word you'd find in most texts and religious sites. Take from example the Shri Vallabhacharyaji from Gunia's thread. He wasn't born like normal children, but he appeared to his mother underneath a tree, Sitaji was found by Janak, etc.
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wonderful Thread Lola!! ⭐️ Loving all the posts ⭐️ ⭐️ ...  I just Love the character of Prahlad So Much... As shown in SK that even at the tender age of five he would be lost in a trance while chanting Shri Vishnu's name in ecstasy: "Om namoh Bhagavate Vaasudevay"! All those sc.s are so full of Devotion!!

(We have such a nice exchange of Dialogues between Prahlad and Hiranyakashipu in SK!!! I just Love the way Prahlad tried to convince his father! His voice has So Much Faith, Innocence and Sincerity... Same we can notice in the case of Vibhishan and Mandodari- their Sincere, Earnest attempt to make Raavan aware of the 'True Identity' of Shri Ram also become futile, like Prahlad.)

Just quoting some parts from the dialogues between Prahlad and Hiranyakashipu from SK (link of these sc.s are given by Lola in the second post):

Prahlad repeatedly tried to convince his father (Hiranyakashipu) that- "The world does not worship you (Hiranyakashipu) out of devotion, but out of Fear, which increases your arrogance and will ultimately lead you to astray. But as your son, I want to reclaim you from evil. It is my duty to lead you to the right path. That's why I do not worship you.  In all the three worlds, only One is worthy of worship- the Eternal, Imperishable, Supreme Godhead Vishnu, So I worship Him only. Shri Vishnu cannot be an enemey of anyone as He is the Protector of all of us" (Paalankarta). It is his (Hiranyakashipu's) illusion that Vishnu wants to destroy him. All the creatures of the Creation are His children, in the same way Hiranyakashipu is also His child, He will only destroy the unrighteous acts and Evil in him (Hiranyakashipu).  Without the Lord's Will no one can destroy another person. Until Lord's wishes, no force in the universe can destoy Prahlad. The arrogance of Hiranyakashipu blinded him to the truth (i.e.- realizing about the Lord). He needed to cast out the arrogance and egoism to surrender to the Lord with a true/pure heart. Only then Hiranayakashipu would come to know about the Lord that He is Omnipotent. Again and again Prahlad requested his father to listen to him and surrender to Lord Vishnu.As He is very merciful, He will at once forgive him and all his evil deeds, He will also make him free of all his sins. 

When, all the attempts to kill Prahlad went in vain, Hiranyakashipu decided to put an end to Prahlad with his own hands. He asked his son about the Source of the power which has saved Prahlad each time. Prahlad answered that it is the Strength of Him Who is the strength of all. The child again tried to explain that even his father also gets his power from that very source (Bhagwan/ Shri Hari). He alone gives strength to all the beings in the world. Shri Hari is Most Merciful, there is still time for Hiranyakashipu to cast out the pride and surrender to Him. He will forgive all the sins committed by him.

Hiranyakashipu was surprised that how could Prahlad know all these Knowledge in such a young age? But Prahlad said that young age is of that particular body only. Prahlad dwells in this body in the form of soul, the Soul's age is limitless, this body is illusory and the soul is also not the Ultimate truth, the Soul is merely a reflection of the Absolute (Paramatyma). In this way the Absolute dwells in every being (in Prahlad's body as well as in the body of Hiranyakashipu), and  in every atom of the universe. This Knowledge lets us see the 'Absolute' in all. After this knowledge, those wise persons do not see the bodies, they observe only the 'Spirit' Everywhere, in the whole Creation! Paramaatma is present everywhere. In the sky, on the earth, in saints and also in the demonsPrahlad could see Him everywhere in the palace also, he wanted his father to believe him but due to his ignorance, Hiranyakashipu could not realize all this truth. Then he showed a particular pillar and asked Prahlad whether the Lord is there or not and we have the apprearance of Narsimha avtaar at the end of the story.

Quoted/ Complied such a lengthy 😃 part from those sc.s as it is my Most Most Favourite sc from SK! It shows the Faith of Prahlad in such great Details!!

Now reposting a part from a prev post of mine ( in R-SK CC),  regarding Prahlad:

Recently, while going through a book on Bhakti-Yoga, I came across one interesting incident from the life of Prahlada. Thought to share it with you all:-

When offered a boon by the LORD, Prahlada thankfully denied, saying that he who asks for anything in lieu of his Sadhana or Bhakti is verily not a Sadahaka, but a businessman (vanik). But when the LORD still persisted, Prahlada said, "I pray You to destroy my desire for asking, if there is any. This is the only boon I ask of You".

(Source:- 'The Secret of Bhaktiyoga' by Gita Press, Gorakhpur)

I was just moved  by the Simplicity  and the Sincerity  of this sentence…Truly the Sadhaka should have absolutely no desire (earthly or heavenly) in mind.

With Lots of Best Wishes to all of you! 🤗  🤗

Jai Narsimha Narayana!