Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi

India-Forums

Do Punjabi women never wear saris in India? (Page 2)

sejal719 IF-Rockerz
sejal719
sejal719

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged
ive seen many punjabi's wear saris lol this show just like to show the extreme of everything lol 

April2007 IF-Dazzler
April2007
April2007

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:42pm | IP Logged
I am Punjabi, our everyday wear is salwar kameez, we wear sari once a while at parties or weddings etc.

Now a days most punjabi girls are gravitating towards salwar kameez instead of sari.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

RBO_AddictPriyaxBassi

rk005 Newbie
rk005
rk005

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged
Well I am punjabi and I had never wore a sari. And also Sari is mostly Hindu ppl wears it and that is their tradition. Most of ppl are adopting sari as part of their culture. Which in contrast is not. And yeah I also saw a lot of women who are shown punjabi wearing mangalsuttar and sandoor. Which is ironically not true for 'typical punjabi married women' some however do wear sandoor.. but again that's another adopted culture or just call it fashion. and in RMJ the wedding permformed is not 100% but at least 50% same as real typical punjabi wedding.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

RBO_AddictPriyaxBassiApril2007

April2007 IF-Dazzler
April2007
April2007

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by rk005

Well I am punjabi and I had never wore a sari. And also Sari is mostly Hindu ppl wears it and that is their tradition. Most of ppl are adopting sari as part of their culture. Which in contrast is not. And yeah I also saw a lot of women who are shown punjabi wearing mangalsuttar and sandoor. Which is ironically not true for 'typical punjabi married women' some however do wear sandoor.. but again that's another adopted culture or just call it fashion. and in RMJ the wedding permformed is not 100% but at least 50% same as real typical punjabi wedding.

I agree. There is no good Mahurat in Sikh wedding. all the times of the day are considered equally holy. Also, Sikhs don't do arti of anybody..yes the wedding is only 50% real typical wedding.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

RBO_Addictgaga00PriyaxBassimittijalebi

kishubedi IF-Dazzler
kishubedi
kishubedi

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged
I am myself a punjabi sikh like mona is potrayed n me personally to share no one in my family wears a sari the only occasion when they sometimes wear sari is a wedding but even this is very rare.
n to this Mahurat thingy we dont have any Mahurat but the wedding has to take place at a certain time..n sindoor mnay punjabi sikh wear as a trend but usually they dont really believe in it

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

RBO_AddictPriyaxBassinycsweetie

aman3 Newbie
aman3
aman3

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:16am | IP Logged
Im myself punjo bored n raised in my n mad punjo ladies wear saris this show always shows that oh they can't wear it whereas even back in Punjab my cousins n family were saris for special occasions
mannat27 Goldie
mannat27
mannat27

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged

Punjabis who belong to Sikhism do not wear saris at all, not even in parties or on occasions. Sikh Punjabis always wear salwar kameez suits. The Punjabis that you may see wearing saris are rather adapting the modern fashions at the time, rather than following their traditions and heritage. The salwar kameez suits are a symbol for decency and a girl's honor and respect. There is no offense to saris since people who are comfortable with saris do wear them. But saris belong to Hinduism while salwar kameez suits belong to Sikhism.

As for the show, they are not really exagerrating it, since they are simply showing a Punjabi girl married into a Gujrati family, but that girl does not leave her culture behind her. Instead, she does follow alteast as much as is possible for her.

So, no, punjabi women do not wear saris at all.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

kishubediApril2007

April2007 IF-Dazzler
April2007
April2007

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kishubedi

I am myself a punjabi sikh like mona is potrayed n me personally to share no one in my family wears a sari the only occasion when they sometimes wear sari is a wedding but even this is very rare.
n to this Mahurat thingy we dont have any Mahurat but the wedding has to take place at a certain time..n sindoor mnay punjabi sikh wear as a trend but usually they dont really believe in it

The wedding usually takes place in the morning on a weekend so that most guests can attend it..no particular time is alloted.  Every weekend their is a Sikh wedding. 

Sari is worn at special occasions among urban Punjabis, rural punjabis don't wear sari's. I have noticed with all the new trends in salwaar kameej, younger punjabi women don't wear sari even on special occasion they wear outfits like Sweety  wears..very stylish salwaar kameez.

Edited by April2007 - 17 May 2011 at 11:58am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

PriyaxBassi

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index