Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rk005 thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Well I am punjabi and I had never wore a sari. And also Sari is mostly Hindu ppl wears it and that is their tradition. Most of ppl are adopting sari as part of their culture. Which in contrast is not. And yeah I also saw a lot of women who are shown punjabi wearing mangalsuttar and sandoor. Which is ironically not true for 'typical punjabi married women' some however do wear sandoor.. but again that's another adopted culture or just call it fashion. and in RMJ the wedding permformed is not 100% but at least 50% same as real typical punjabi wedding.

April2007 thumbnail
Originally posted by: rk005

Well I am punjabi and I had never wore a sari. And also Sari is mostly Hindu ppl wears it and that is their tradition. Most of ppl are adopting sari as part of their culture. Which in contrast is not. And yeah I also saw a lot of women who are shown punjabi wearing mangalsuttar and sandoor. Which is ironically not true for 'typical punjabi married women' some however do wear sandoor.. but again that's another adopted culture or just call it fashion. and in RMJ the wedding permformed is not 100% but at least 50% same as real typical punjabi wedding.

I agree. There is no good Mahurat in Sikh wedding. all the times of the day are considered equally holy. Also, Sikhs don't do arti of anybody..yes the wedding is only 50% real typical wedding.
kishubedi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I am myself a punjabi sikh like mona is potrayed n me personally to share no one in my family wears a sari the only occasion when they sometimes wear sari is a wedding but even this is very rare.
n to this Mahurat thingy we dont have any Mahurat but the wedding has to take place at a certain time..n sindoor mnay punjabi sikh wear as a trend but usually they dont really believe in it
aman3 thumbnail
Im myself punjo bored n raised in my n mad punjo ladies wear saris this show always shows that oh they can't wear it whereas even back in Punjab my cousins n family were saris for special occasions
mannat27 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Punjabis who belong to Sikhism do not wear saris at all, not even in parties or on occasions. Sikh Punjabis always wear salwar kameez suits. The Punjabis that you may see wearing saris are rather adapting the modern fashions at the time, rather than following their traditions and heritage. The salwar kameez suits are a symbol for decency and a girl's honor and respect. There is no offense to saris since people who are comfortable with saris do wear them. But saris belong to Hinduism while salwar kameez suits belong to Sikhism.

As for the show, they are not really exagerrating it, since they are simply showing a Punjabi girl married into a Gujrati family, but that girl does not leave her culture behind her. Instead, she does follow alteast as much as is possible for her.

So, no, punjabi women do not wear saris at all.
April2007 thumbnail
Originally posted by: kishubedi

I am myself a punjabi sikh like mona is potrayed n me personally to share no one in my family wears a sari the only occasion when they sometimes wear sari is a wedding but even this is very rare.
n to this Mahurat thingy we dont have any Mahurat but the wedding has to take place at a certain time..n sindoor mnay punjabi sikh wear as a trend but usually they dont really believe in it

The wedding usually takes place in the morning on a weekend so that most guests can attend it..no particular time is alloted.  Every weekend their is a Sikh wedding. 

Sari is worn at special occasions among urban Punjabis, rural punjabis don't wear sari's. I have noticed with all the new trends in salwaar kameej, younger punjabi women don't wear sari even on special occasion they wear outfits like Sweety  wears..very stylish salwaar kameez.
Edited by April2007 - 12 years ago
April2007 thumbnail
Originally posted by: mannat27

Punjabis who belong to Sikhism do not wear saris at all, not even in parties or on occasions. Sikh Punjabis always wear salwar kameez suits. The Punjabis that you may see wearing saris are rather adapting the modern fashions at the time, rather than following their traditions and heritage. The salwar kameez suits are a symbol for decency and a girl's honor and respect. There is no offense to saris since people who are comfortable with saris do wear them. But saris belong to Hinduism while salwar kameez suits belong to Sikhism.

As for the show, they are not really exagerrating it, since they are simply showing a Punjabi girl married into a Gujrati family, but that girl does not leave her culture behind her. Instead, she does follow alteast as much as is possible for her.

So, no, punjabi women do not wear saris at all.

Urban Sikhs wear Saris. Sari is an Indian attire not Sikh or Hindu and Sikhs are Indians, religion has nothing to do with what one wears, Sikhism dictates spirituality doesn't try to run your day to day life  ..I wear pants and dresses that doesn't mean I am western. Rural Punjabis are not exposed to saris, it has nothing to do with modest.. honour or respect in your heart it has nothing to do with clothing. Sari is very honourable and pretty.

I totally agree that no girl can leave their upbringing and culture behind..if you leave your upbring behind then you are nobody..you will not be able to recognize yourself, you will be lost..totally psychological case.
kaurp07 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I'm Sikh Punjabi, raised in US, and I've never worn a sari. But that's my personal choice, I can wear whatever I want, it's just whenever there's any event at which I could wear a sari, I'd prefer wearing a salwar kameez for comfort, so I can dance properly :)

But for everyday life, I think most sikh women would wear salwar kameez, it's just a lot easier to handle and convenient.
April2007 thumbnail
Originally posted by: kaurp07

I'm Sikh Punjabi, raised in US, and I've never worn a sari. But that's my personal choice, I can wear whatever I want, it's just whenever there's any event at which I could wear a sari, I'd prefer wearing a salwar kameez for comfort, so I can dance properly :)

But for everyday life, I think most sikh women would wear salwar kameez, it's just a lot easier to handle and convenient.

I am Sikh Punjabi I was raised in Delhi, I am equally comfortable in saris or salwar kameez. I love wearing both and wear them with equal ease..I have no problem dancing in a sari. 

It all depends if your family comes from urban or rural India.  Rural sikh punjabis or ones coming directly from punjab don't have much exposers to saris. In my family even older women wear sari and salwar kameez.. My mom is equally at ease in sari or salwar kameez. .
gaga00 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
punjabi's dont usually wear sari but salwar kameez... generally punjabi hindu's wear sari on party and other occasions.. however thanks to TV shows.women are wearing more sarees than ever