Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi

Do Punjabi women never wear saris in India?

deep388 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

OK, so this issue hasn't really been confined to recent episodes (as we have seen in the past, Mona was and is stil allowed to wear her traditional punjabi garb in the Gandhi household), but what I don't get is why in a recent episode, Sweety was a little apprhenesive towards getting a sari as a gift.

Now, I know punjabi women (as well as in Punjab) most of the women (even Hindu Punjabi women) prefer and wear kameez etc but from this show, it appears as if the women do not have any inkling or desire to ever wear a sari and hence gifting a sari was the wrong idea. Is this true for Punjabi families? apologies for the question or sounding a little ignorant, I just find it a little odd over this whole issue of getting a sari because as an overseas born desi, all of the sikh women I know here like wearing saris just as much as they like wearing their traditional punjabi suit pants.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Naina007 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I don't get it either, I find this show sometimes a little too stereotypical!
HalkatJawaniJay thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
It's ofcourse exaggerated in the show, u know from what I have seen women in Punjab usually women wear punjabi suits in daily basis and sarees are worn in parties and stuff.  
-Yuks- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Im a punjabi hindu and in our families, on weddings, women prefer to wear sari's. They're much more formal than a salwar-kameez.

I don't understand the stereotypes in this show

Hetal wore a salwaar kameez everyday, but after marriage she will wear a sari and stick to her strict gujrati traditions and upbrining?
That was just silly

Yuks
lil_Ritu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Sweety is overacting she can wear the sarii in a party
punjabi#1 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
punjabi's don't wear sari's often, maybe in parties and that is about it. Even that is not always the case because since we don't wear them often, we don't know how to tie sari and stuff and aren't comfortable with it. So some people like me would not want to be gifted a sari.

I hate to say this but I would have pulled a sweety and said I didn't like the sari because if me and hetal were gonna live in same house, i didn't want the guilt of never wearing her present or giving it away. I would have been honest like sweety was. 
nycsweetie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
most sikh women dont wear saris esp in india some like me do but only to parties or on other special occasions
simidhillon89 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Loll. It's just a show. They always need one thing or another to create some kind of drama and excuse to keep the distance between families cuz if everything was happy and sweetie took the the sari then there would be no problem, and if Mona wore a sari already then there wouldn't have Been the big issue with amba ji about learning how to wear a sari, it's just the same for how hetal reacts to the onion in the food scene. Gotta keep the show going you know,
SejN thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
ive seen many punjabi's wear saris lol this show just like to show the extreme of everything lol 
April2007 thumbnail
I am Punjabi, our everyday wear is salwar kameez, we wear sari once a while at parties or weddings etc.

Now a days most punjabi girls are gravitating towards salwar kameez instead of sari.