Chat Clubs

Random Ramblers Timbuktoo#70!!!! - Page 71

Nymeria thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Also, my question is why are Indians in India just absorbing the western attires and english language when they should be absorbing  qualities like tidiness, punctuality, etc? why westernize but still carry on loitering on the streets or breaking the traffic rules by driving on the wrong side or bribing the traffic officer? Why not change themselves before talking about changing the nation?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: psawyer

The problem is that when an army, an Empire, a "superpower" launches a "mission", shall we say, rarely is it peaceful. Not to be controversial but one person's freedom fighter is another person's terrorist - and vice versa. And how do these freedom fighters/terrorists come into being? A completely Unitarian, Utopian, peaceful nation cannot create them. They are born of war, of struggle and oppression. But we as human beings are not built for Utopia, it seems. And until we are, we will always have such problems. Very well said, Vasu...true...we aren't built for Utopia it seems *sigh*

I guess those modern British (or should I say English) people who do still believe in the fundamental right of the Empire can see a little payback in the form of "their country being invaded" by the very same Indians they tried to oppress. They occupied "our" country, now we occupy "theirs" πŸ˜† LMAO talk about poetic justiceπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: psawyer

The problem is, how are you supposed to take the Republicans seriously when their candidates are old white guy, old white guy, old white guy, crazy lady, old white guy, old white guy ????

LOLL there's a younger guy in the mix somewhere too I think...their budget committee chairman or something but even he creeps me out...πŸ˜†

Honestly I have nothing against Republicans but I wish they'd put up ONE non-bigoted, actually sane candidate in the race...all they are usually interested in is baseless slander and bashing Obama blindly on ANYTHING he doesπŸ₯±
psawyer thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: Ramy25

Also, my question is why are Indians in India just absorbing the western attires and english language when they should be absorbing  qualities like tidiness, punctuality, etc? why westernize but still carry on loitering on the streets or breaking the traffic rules by driving on the wrong side or bribing the traffic officer? Why not change themselves before talking about changing the nation?

Exactly! It's the fast food effect - they used to get Western culture from Hollywood movies and TV (before airtravel became so accessible, anyway) and I suppose that has stuck. Why work on the hard things, the things that actually require brain cell use, when you could simply imitate the exterior. cubic zirconias vs real diamonds? πŸ˜† (no negative or positive connotations attached. I love CZsπŸ˜†)
AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Ramy25

LOL these answers are not so simple, Amy...some things are too ingrained in the makeup of a country...the change has to happen in the mind first...and the Westerners have a 100 years on India...independence wise...if you take the example of the U.S...and India faces different issues of population etc...

And I take offense to ppl questioning why ppl in India speak English...hello why not?? It's as much of an ingrained language as the others in our country since ages...we were ruled by the British for many years, remember?? The West doesn't have some PEROGATIVE on only THEM speaking English...I hate when my cousins here try to act superior about that too...ABCDs kahin ke...

There are a million and one problems in India but you can't oversimplify them either.
psawyer thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: nureat01

LOLL there's a younger guy in the mix somewhere too I think...their budget committee chairman or something but even he creeps me out...πŸ˜†

Honestly I have nothing against Republicans but I wish they'd put up ONE non-bigoted, actually sane candidate in the race...all they are usually interested in is baseless slander and bashing Obama blindly on ANYTHING he doesπŸ₯±

Exactly. And I am sure there are such people out there - "liberal republicans", or at least sane ones. It's just a shame the bigots are the most vocal. I don't know a whole lot about modern American politics, but from what I can tell, it is mostly just two extremes - the Republicans are REALLY right-ist and the Democrats are REALLY liberal and they have nothing in common. Maybe I'm wrong on that. In Britain, in any case, our main parties do at least have some common characteristics and values. I am naturally more on the left side and usually vote Labour/red, but even with our current, mostly Conservative/blue government, I find myself agreeing with or defending some of their policies. Or at least the theories behind the policies. 
Nymeria thumbnail
@anu--- true that! people don't give a darn about the personal issues of those in office. All they want is employment, better healthcare and peace of mind. Middle east involvement has taken precedence for too long now while our people back home are suffering with unemployment, lack of proper healthcare.
The Middle east blames America if they get involved...and if it doesn't show much involvement in the matters, again the finger's pointed back to America. Part of it is America's fault too...if it had not tried to be a beacon of democracy worldwide so much, then lot would have been different.
Did you guys listen to Obama's speech on stuff going on in middle east last week? He didn't show "much" involvement and the people in the middle east were disappointed for that. They were expecting more support and involvement.😳 Then, when America gets involved, it's those people only who recite Anti-America slogans and burn the American Flag.😳 I don't think i get all this...or may be I'm still too young to get hold of any of that.
psawyer thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: nureat01

LOL these answers are not so simple, Amy...some things are too ingrained in the makeup of a country...the change has to happen in the mind first...and the Westerners have a 100 years on India...independence wise...if you take the example of the U.S...and India faces different issues of population etc...

And I take offense to ppl questioning why ppl in India speak English...hello why not?? It's as much of an ingrained language as the others in our country since ages...we were ruled by the British for many years, remember?? The West doesn't have some PEROGATIVE on only THEM speaking English...I hate when my cousins here try to act superior about that too...ABCDs kahin ke...

There are a million and one problems in India but you can't oversimplify them either.

I agree with your post. And re: Indians speaking English - I think it is imperative in today's world that they do. English is no longer an "English" concept. It is the language of modern business. Wherever the Empire went, they left their chaap on that nation, and English was a part of that. I do sometimes thing that many India-based Indians that I know speak English only for the sake of speaking English, to the exclusion of Hindi. Even being born here in the UK, I speak both English and Hindi and I believe there is room for both. So it annoys me when Indians in India speak only English and Indians in the UK also speak only English πŸ˜†. I think maatrabhasha is very important to a person's identity. 

What I find a little eye-rolling is when city or country names are changed from their colonial counterparts to a more national one, e.g. Bombay to Mumbai, Burma to Myanmar. I get why they do it, and quite often agree with the theory/sentiment behind it. But it seems to me a kind of nitpicking on a topic that really doesn't mean much. I mean, what difference is there in Mumbai from Bombay? When peoples' hearts and minds have not changed, then changing the name of the city is going to achieve what? Unity? It's not only India who have done  that though - Ireland too went through a similar colonisation and de-colonisation process. But to my mind, as long as the name is not offensive, just leave it be. After all, as Shakespeare would say, what's in a name?

Nymeria thumbnail
Woah anu! i didn't mean it that way. lol Geeez i mean putting on the accent or not learning and respecting the national language.. I guess i didn't clarify it properly. Sorry about that.πŸ˜’

P.S. it's so  much fun having  such mature discussions on here. πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by Ramy25 - 12 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
LOLLL Amy...it's ok yaar...I'm sorry too...I'm touchy on the subject cuz I have some real ermmm a-hole type cousins who've tormented me on this topic, that's why...sorry for jumping down your throat...lol

@Vas: haha yeah that I agree with...matrabhasha IS important...waise India mein ab HINGLISH chalti hai...LOLL...it was still ok in my growing up years but yeah now I also feel that ppl are trying extra hard to ape some lame things that they can't pull off...and just end up looking like fake wannabes then.