Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

psawyer thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: Mru_bee

I have seen that movie too. It was a great watch. I have read a couple of books.

Nehru was given that position due to his proximity to Gandhiji. In certain sense, at least Indira Gandhi was a tough cookie compared to her father.

The day, India decides that dynasty and lineage do not make a great leader, nor do *venom spewing rags to ultra rich politicians*, we might see some real change. Till then, it is *sab chalta hey*

-- Mru

Amen to that. Even now, I would say that though Rahul Gandhi is certainly miles ahead of the competition in actually being competent, he certainly wouldn't be there if he was not a Gandhi. What we need in India is for the mango people to actually give a crap, and for them to be allowed by Parliament to give a crap. Only then can we see real and proper change. 

Though, on the other hand, it has taken America 235 years since independence to elect a black man as President. India is only a baby in comparison πŸ˜†
AreYaar thumbnail
LOL Vasu...in some ways, India and most of the world is ahead...they've all had women PMs/Presidents before America...haha

And the only reason that even now they've managed to have a black president is cuz this is OBAMA...many other black candidates who tried to come up before were just caricatures or stereotypes...Obama is the first rare candidate who appealed across all demographics and is truly representative of today's amazingly diverse United States...Even then, his charisma went a long way in ensuring his victory which would have been tough for any other candidate in his place...he has a rare kind of charisma...
psawyer thumbnail
Originally posted by: nureat01

@Vasu: Yeah true...we can only speculate what things would have turned out as if Sardar had indeed been PM...definitely it was not an easy time to be taking the reins of a country but Nehru always seemed more interested in that POSITION than actually having a vision for the future.

But all starts from the damn Britishers who even encouraged the idea to begin with :P :P...Divide and rule...very successfully achieved in India...they're probably damn proud of it too.

@bold - true, very true. It was more of a figurehead position for him - FIRST PRIME MINISTER OF INDEPENDENT INDIA makes you immortal, of course. Just this morning they played his famous speech on the eve of independence on the radio. 

Re: Britishers: well, its sort of like saying that the Germans are proud that their ancestors were Nazis. There's not much direct correlation between the British Empire and modern Britain. Of course, there will always be people who are proud of that, just that there are people who are Nazis, or Indians who hate Pakistanis or white people who hate black people. I don't think that is likely to change any time soon. 

But generally speaking, it's not really a matter of national pride as such; I mean, English people love everything Indian these days - food, music, films etc. There is an amazing amount of integration not only with Indians but all ethnicities and races here. This could not have happened if we still had a fundamental superiority complex.  Add to that the fact that  the fall of the British Empire was much faster than the rise, and all we are now is a small island with a few colonies, and really it becomes more of a burden of history than anything else. Most South Africans would be ashamed of apartheid, not proud of it. 
Mru_bee thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

LOL Vasu...in some ways, India and most of the world is ahead...they've all had women PMs/Presidents before America...haha

And the only reason that even now they've managed to have a black president is cuz this is OBAMA...many other black candidates who tried to come up before were just caricatures or stereotypes...Obama is the first rare candidate who appealed across all demographics and is truly representative of today's amazingly diverse United States...Even then, his charisma went a long way in ensuring his victory which would have been tough for any other candidate in his place...he has a rare kind of charisma...

true and having an alternate in Cain/PALIN against him, the choice was really simple. πŸ˜†
psawyer thumbnail
True, Obama was something special, and rare. Not to be melodramatic, but he has a similar charisma to MLK Jr, though, of course, this time around more people listened to and believed in his dream. 

India is certainly further ahead than USA in the female Pres/Prime Minister way...but even a Sonia Gandhi is still not allowed to be PM. As for Britain, we had a Maggie Thatcher, but we haven't had a (extended and very sarcastic air quotes) "person of colour" in the top job either. So there's pros and cons to all, I guess, and not much in the way of equality. Nobody's got it right just yet. 
Edited by psawyer - 12 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
Vasu, I meant the Britishers from THAT time, yaar...you seriously expect me to say that Modern Britain sits and crows over that? Please give me some credit at least...I'm not an idiot.

But there are ppl at that time who WILLINGLY ensured the fragmentation of our country and that will be a pang somewhere always...especially if you think about ppl like Sardar Patel who tried so valiantly in every way to stop that from happening...the Britishers fueled that hatred and divide in every way they could with their expert Machiavellian scheming...they used every person, every trick they could *shakes head* When that thought process wins despite everything, it's sad...but ah well.

Now toh we live in a global world...everyone loves every random thing about other cultures...food, music, anything.
AreYaar thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mru_bee

true and having an alternate in Cain/PALIN against him, the choice was really simple. πŸ˜†

Would have been even more fun this year with TRUMP in the mix...too bad he backed outπŸ˜†πŸ˜†...the Republican candidates all still look like jokers...looks like these ppl want to hand over the re-election to Obama anyways...Palin is now only good for petulant Twitter slandering...loser kahin ki.
psawyer thumbnail

Vasu, I meant the Britishers from THAT time, yaar...you seriously expect me to say that Modern Britain sits and crows over that? Please give me some credit at least...I'm not an idiot.

But there are ppl at that time who WILLINGLY ensured the fragmentation of our country and that will be a pang somewhere always...especially if you think about ppl like Sardar Patel who tried so valiantly in every way to stop that from happening...the Britishers fueled that hatred and divide in every way they could with their expert Machiavellian scheming...they used every person, every trick they could *shakes head* When that thought process wins despite everything, it's sad...but ah well.

Now toh we live in a global world...everyone loves every random thing about other cultures...food, music, anything.

Lol, sorry must have misread your post πŸ˜† But you know, it's a valid point and one worth making. 

Re: that time, yes, you're right in that many, if not most,of the Britishers must have relished the idea of lording over the "slaves". And of course, divide and rule, as you say, worked very well - we still see the results of that. After all, they divided India into Muslims and Hindus, India and Pakistan. Most famous example of divide and rule there is. And it is causing us tremendous problems now. 

When you think about the fact that Indians - Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, whatever - actually fought in the world wars FOR Britain and her allies...and then you look at how Indians were treated by the Raj, it makes the whole idea even more unbelievable and disgust-worthy. I guess those are the "casualties" of war - not just the human loss but the loss of humanity. If we didn't have those wars, we wouldn't be right where we are now. Good or bad, I don't know, but we would have been different, to say the least. 

The problem is that when an army, an Empire, a "superpower" launches a "mission", shall we say, rarely is it peaceful. Not to be controversial but one person's freedom fighter is another person's terrorist - and vice versa. And how do these freedom fighters/terrorists come into being? A completely Unitarian, Utopian, peaceful nation cannot create them. They are born of war, of struggle and oppression. But we as human beings are not built for Utopia, it seems. And until we are, we will always have such problems. 

I guess those modern British (or should I say English) people who do still believe in the fundamental right of the Empire can see a little payback in the form of "their country being invaded" by the very same Indians they tried to oppress. They occupied "our" country, now we occupy "theirs" πŸ˜† 
Edited by psawyer - 12 years ago
Nymeria thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Ughhh Palin🀒 her daughter got knocked up at 16 or 17 and she's surely enjoying all the limelight. Such wannabes!😳

psawyer thumbnail

Would have been even more fun this year with TRUMP in the mix...too bad he backed outπŸ˜†πŸ˜†...the Republican candidates all still look like jokers...looks like these ppl want to hand over the re-election to Obama anyways...Palin is now only good for petulant Twitter slandering...loser kahin ki.

The problem is, how are you supposed to take the Republicans seriously when their candidates are old white guy, old white guy, old white guy, crazy lady, old white guy, old white guy ????