saraharshad thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
OHH god..how can the gandhi's prepare their food without onions...In my home in almost all the curries we use onions...I never heard this , is this also followed by gujurati's?? and i think not eating chicken is ok..but onions is too much.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dimdim thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
 Traditionally Brahmins in many communities  do not use ONION or Garlic in food. Specially South Indian Brahmins. But these days its not practiced so rigorously bec of the health benefits attached to GARLIC and ONION...its becoming a thing of the past.

Onions and Garlic are still  never used in Prasad in temples in India..( most of India) Our weddings too don't have any non veg, garlic and onions ...😉

Edited by KripaRajput - 12 years ago
Hot_Indo_Chilly thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Well just as Mona is getting used to Vaishnav cuisine, Hetal's gonna have to a lot more than cutting onions...i mean cooking non-veg!

At my place, we have both veg and non-veg..and if specifically asked for then arrangements are made for ppl who follow a strict routine of vaishanavism.
Infofan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: KripaRajput

Traditionally Brahmins in many communities  do not use ONION or Garlic in food. Specially South Indian Brahmins. But these days its not practiced so rigorously bec of the health benefits attached to GARLIC and ONION...its becoming a thing of the past.

Onions and Garlic are still  never used in Prasad in temples in India..( most of India) Our weddings too don't have any non veg, garlic and onions ...😉

Yup, we don't use onions or garlic in food prepared for weddings and poojas but we do eat it rest of the time. Jains and some brahmins do not eat garlic and onions in their food.
virgo24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I know what you mean, I love eating Onions and Garlic in my food. Especially, Indian dishes. Hey, read this post. . . it will explain why Hetal and the Gandhi's act as so when it comes to food  https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/1679292
ksgstar thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i'm a marwari and we dnt eat onions  leave gasrlic i've  seen garlic or onion in my house ..never eaten onion  in ghar ka khana  only eat onion in pizza .it may sound wierd but food without onion garlic also tastes good