why don't people learn? (Page 3)

_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by monar

Originally posted by night13

<edit from earlier post!>

There has to be some humor to all this ... cause people never cease to learn!

A stock analyst and a Wall Street broker went to the races. The broker suggested to bet $10,000 on a horse. The analyst was sceptical, saying that he wanted first to understand the rules, to look on horses, etc. The broker whispered that he knew a secret algorithm for the success, but he could not convince the analyst.

"You are too theoretical," he said and bet on a horse. Surely, that horse came first bringing him a lot of money. Triumphantly, he exclaimed: "I told you, I knew the secret!"
"What is your secret?" the analyst asked.
"It is rather easy. I have two kids, three and five year old. I sum up their ages and I bet on number nine."
"But, three and five is eight," the analyst protested.
"I told you, you are too theoretical!" the broker replied, "Haven't I just shown experimentally that my calculation is correct?!"

hilarious ROFL

broker and Analysts are as different as Engineers and Researchers .. I am an Engineer who is trying to understand finance so at the end I seem to be going brokers way

couldn't stop myself from posting this

A mathematician and an engineer are sitting next to each other on a long flight. The mathematician leans over to the engineer and asks if he would like to play a fun game. The engineer just wants to take a nap, so he politely declines and rolls over to the window to catch a few winks.

The mathematician persists and explains that the game is real easy and lots of fun. He explains, "I ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5. Then you ask me a question, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $5."

Again, the engineer politely declines and tries to get to sleep. The mathematician, now somewhat agitated, says, "Okay, if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $50!"

This catches the engineer's attention, and he sees no end to this torment unless he plays, so he agrees to the game. The mathematician asks the first question. "What's the distance from the earth to the moon?"

The engineer doesn't say a word, but reaches into his wallet, pulls out a five-dollar bill and hands it to the mathematician Now, it's the engineer's turn. He asks the mathematician "What goes up a hill with three legs and comes down on four?"

The mathematician looks up at him with a puzzled look. He takes out his laptop computer and searches all of his references. He taps into the air phone with his modem and searches the net and the Library of Congress. Frustrated, he sends e-mail to his co-workers all to no avail.

After about an hour, he wakes the engineer and hands him $50. The engineer politely takes the $50 and turns away to try to get back to sleep.

The mathematician then hits the engineer, saying, "What goes up a hill with three legs, and comes down on four?" The engineer calmly pulls out his wallet, hands the mathematician five bucks, and goes back to sleep.

LOL that was a good one monar! Its not even always about being penny wise and pound foolish.  Mental compartmentalisation of money tends to affect ones judgement. Say, a certain Mr X  lost his movie ticket costing about Rs 500/- He was so disappointed at the loss that he turned back choosing not to buy another ticket. Mr. Y on ther other hand discovered that he had lost a Rs 500/- note . Though disappointed he did not mind shelling out another 500 bucks to purchase a movie ticket. Each had incurred a loss of Rs 500/- but it was perceived in a different manner.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

monar

monar IF-Sizzlerz
monar
monar

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by osama-bin-joe

or you can just take a 12 month moving average and invest once the average changes its sideways slope to a rising slope, that's a pretty good method that's worked for people who tried it. :)

if people have really anticipated the worst then we are in for a bull run Tongue also people are too scared to go short. in india we can only short intraday, but we can short futures if we want :)

also these damn stock experts on cnbc tv 18(I dont know the diff bet stock market channels, but I only watch it because of a certain news anchor EmbarrassedLOL)  like to recommend shars to people to offload them. they say crap like "long term benefits" and "good fundamentals" and "p/e ratio trading at 1000 times it's EBIDTA" or whatever crap. some dude has made profits by doing the opposite of what they say ROFL

u r sharing your strategies online for free LOL I can take profit of it, by using some further confusing stats around (Mean Median mode) and I'll then confuse people around me.. and will keep on doing that till I am not succeeding to confuse the whole market with my strategies ROFL btw, where was I? ah! among Mean median and mode .. I like Media the most Embarrassed...

Shorting to me looks more like gambling frankly and future looks even worse, I am orthodox Desi investor who still believes in Bonds or Funds LOL ah! sounds bore when we have loads of lucrative jagged up instruments around . Forex is the new buzz word in the town! Damn! all my friends are like put your money on currency.. darn! confuse the layman.. by putting currency on currency Sleepy

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged
You and two friends go to a restaurant. The bill is $30.00. Each of you pay $10.00. However, the owner turns out to be a mutual friend and refunds you $5.00. You give $2.00 to the waiter, and each get back $1.00.

The bill was $30.00. Each of you got a $1.00 back and $2.00 went to the waiter. So you paid a total of (10-1) x 3 = $27.00. Plus $2.00 to the waiter. $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. Why is there a $1.00 missing?

monar

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged
There are two kinds of investors

The long term player and the short term punter.

Punting without cash to back up is sure suicide.
And using "borrowed" monies or getting credit or leveraging is another quicker death.LOL

They say the rich become richer and poor become poorer.

Edited by Summer3 - 17 May 2011 at 10:39pm

monar

monar IF-Sizzlerz
monar
monar

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

LOL that was a good one monar! Its not even always about being penny wise and pound foolish.  Mental compartmentalisation of money tends to affect ones judgement. Say, a certain Mr X  lost his movie ticket costing about Rs 500/- He was so disappointed at the loss that he turned back choosing not to buy another ticket. Mr. Y on ther other hand discovered that he had lost a Rs 500/- note . Though disappointed he did not mind shelling out another 500 bucks to purchase a movie ticket. Each had incurred a loss of Rs 500/- but it was perceived in a different manner.

Oh I loved that Angie.. nice one!

btw guys check this one u will enjoy

monar IF-Sizzlerz
monar
monar

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

You and two friends go to a restaurant. The bill is $30.00. Each of you pay $10.00. However, the owner turns out to be a mutual friend and refunds you $5.00. You give $2.00 to the waiter, and each get back $1.00.

The bill was $30.00. Each of you got a $1.00 back and $2.00 went to the waiter. So you paid a total of (10-1) x 3 = $27.00. Plus $2.00 to the waiter. $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. Why is there a $1.00 missing?

((30-5)+2)/3= one person paid ..
not even a single dollar missing LOL ah! math is an art and its all how you perceive it

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Dont give BSLOL
monar IF-Sizzlerz
monar
monar

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
before i go two quotes on stock market

"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." - William Feather.

"Derivatives are financial weapons of mass destruction." - Warren Buffett.

Go to top