Users

Frequent Posters

..kiran.. thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

DAY 4 (contd)

Sonam Kapoor in Jean Paul Gaultier couture

πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
Sonam Kapoor is spectacularly spell-binding! I love the entire look, hair, makeup and all. And I love the gown!! It's edgy, very different and most definitely eyecatching, without making her look like she's trying too hard and while still making her look chic. I think the gown is fun, funky and all those things I associate with Sonam's signature style. It takes a lot of courage to take a risk and go for something innovative/out of the box and not stick to the safe zone, and it takes the sensibilities of the likes seen above, to make a choice that actually succeeds in making people go WOW!! Yes, we can nitpick and say the dress doesn't look so nice from the back, and I do foresee that the response to her outfit will be mixed. But I still think the overall look absolutely rocks! It's perfect for the kind of platform that the Cannes red carpet offers - to be adventurous, bring in that element of surprise, dazzle people for a few minutes and leave behind an awe-filled impression (in a good way) that lasts much, much longer. And Sonam does it with a lot of poise and her customary panache. What with her confidence beaming at us in that graceful, genuine smile, she looks like she owns the red carpet πŸ˜ƒ 

More Sonam, from the L'Oreal photoshooot

Our desi diva! πŸ˜ƒ

And this is from when she attended the Peter Lindbergh Exhibition,
in a sari by Masaba Gupta

I was very happy that she decided to go for a sari. I really think Indian actresses must showcase Indian culture more on such international platforms, even if it's by going for an Indian-Western fusion, and not necessarily something traditionally Indian. But I don't actually like the sari πŸ€” I get the thing about dissimilar patterns in saris (as in the pattern in the pallu part being different from the pattern at the beginning of the sari) and yes, it's trendy and all.. but here, as in many of Masaba's designs (eg this), the different segments are too different for the whole thing to gel as one, and the overall patchwork effect, although intended, is not so visually appealing, not to me at least. Sad. On the plus side, I like that the front of her blouse is not super revealing - looks classy in a vintage-y way πŸ˜Š Still kinda disappointed with her choice of sari though.  

Fun factoid:
Masaba Gupta was one of the 2-3 Indian designers
that Sonam had shortlisted for Cannes.
Another designer was Anamika Khanna
who, btw, is the one who designed most, if not all, 
of the Indian outfits in Aisha
Really wish Sonam had gone for Anamika instead!
 Her designs are young, fun and most delightful to see..

So, what do you think of the pics posted so far?
What would you like to see on Cannes next?
Also, what if you were to go to Cannes..? What would you wear?

πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by ..kiran.. - 12 years ago
viva_amez thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
@Kiran...Hi im Kruti!

Angelina Jolie looks amazing, so gorgeous!!!! Loved everything about her!
Sonam looks beautiful too but the first dress is very funky lol...i love her look, the make up n hair is beautiful n different, not too showy n all, i love it...but the photoshoot is ok...she could have done better...but still she looks amazing :)

Edited by viva_amez - 12 years ago
..kiran.. thumbnail

Hey Kruti *wave*

Ok so nothing new from the red carpet so far,
(Freida coming soon though)
so I'm just posting random snapshots
of the stars as they attended various Cannes events

Minissha Lamba at the Nadine Labaki party

She looks cute as always 😳 But the clutch does not match at all! Sorry, I'm finicky about such things. Definitely a cute dress though.

Mallika Sherawat at the Paradis Event

Yes, it's Mallika, wearing a nice dress! πŸ˜ƒAlexander McQueen, no less. I like the laciness of it!  It's not spectacular, but not bad either. 'Nice' seems to do it justice. Her face looks a bit chalky, but I will happily overlook that here.

Sonam Kapoor at Chopard's party

Nooo! Firstly, what's with the dress? I don't get it. It's designer and all, but what's special about it? I can't believe it must have cost a fortune, when it's got no shape, no texture, no colour πŸ˜•
And Sonam's makeup! It's so ironic (and very sad) that she was so excited about Cannes because she would be walking for L'Oreal. She tweeted about being very excited that the "dream team of magicians" would do her makeup. Sorry, but I think Sonam has so far always had the perfect makeup in all of her public appearances, and this bunch of 'magicians' has just managed to make her look horrendous. Orange lipstick and orangey blush on her skin tone, really?! I wonder if she has any say in the makeup department at all.
Only nice thing is the emerald bracelet, I guess, but for me at least, the dress and makeup are too distracting for it to get its due. Why did she choose that dress, I wonder. Such a let down! Can't believe I'm saying this, but Mallika looks way better than her. And not just in the pictures above. See below to see what I mean.

(sorry about the rant btw, but seriously, Sonam has never looked worse IMO)

Mallika again at 'Tree of life' bash

O-M-G. Perfect. ⭐️ It's such a lovely, pretty gown! I love the colour and the cut and the dainty beady thing and the way it falls, oh-so-gracefully. The colour, in particular, suits her beautifully. She looks absolutely gorgeous and more graceful than ever. This is such a pleasant surprise! Love it πŸ‘ 

..kiran.. thumbnail

So, I was wondering if I should actually carry on updating the thread, seeing that it's kinda, um dead 🀒 πŸ˜†.. but then I figured it probably has more readers than commenters, and I would have myself believe that they would lurrrve me to go on πŸ˜›

I was thinking, despite what, strictly in my opinion, was a what-on-earth😲 moment for Sonam Kapoor (read, the white ghost dress she wore to Chopard's party), she is definitely not one to be written off so soon.

In fact, if at all Mallika Sherawat's latest oh-so-very-pleasing appearances can teach us anything, it is that surprises are often peeking at us from just 'round the corner...

So let's just wait and see then, I guess.

Till then, just a reminder of how stylish Sonam is, and charming too, in her endearingly spontaneous, genuinely cheerful manner.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTley1JeQbw[/YOUTUBE]

Other than the pleasant surprises hopefully in store from Minissha, Ash and Sonam, I am also eager to see the also very stylish Freida Pinto on the red carpet (which will most probably be this Sunday).

But highest on my wishlist is this:
Somebody, just anybody, in a stunning Indian outfit!! ⭐️

I am reminded of what Ash wore when she was promoting Raavan at Cannes last year. It's that kind that I have in mind - something that aptly showcases Indian culture, something classy and elegant, worn in a dignified manner and carried with a lot of grace.. 
(not quite like Deepika's scarily low-waisted thing

What do you think? Wouldn't something like that be freakin' awesome? πŸ˜ƒ

In fact, that's my answer to one of the discussion questions I had asked at the beginning of the thread. What would I wear to the Cannes red carpet? Definitely a sari like that! Will probably never be able to carry it as well as Ash, but it all works out in dreamland, hey? πŸ˜‰ 

Ok, so that's my two-cents. If anyone's reading, hello. Gosh, this is getting kinda depressing. I feel like I'm talking to myself. Comment, people.. Or I might just abandon this thread,
and I-F, and become a hermit πŸ˜›

Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for the updates. I like Mallikas dress on trees@life.
Sonams dress was kinda ok to me. The bottom of the dress was nice but the "skirt"looked strange and not elegant. In the shoot she was looking really nice. Sonams Saree was not as good as I expected. I really love sarees and I think Sonam can carry it off well but this saree was not that nice.
About Aish..m glad she wore a nice saree but her appearance was not that great, according to me. I think Ash looked a bit dull. Bipasha wore a saree too but I dont have the pics anymore. If I will be able to find them I will share it :)
..kiran.. thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aradhana87

Thanks for the updates. I like Mallikas dress on trees@life.

Sonams dress was kinda ok to me. The bottom of the dress was nice but the "skirt"looked strange and not elegant. In the shoot she was looking really nice. Sonams Saree was not as good as I expected. I really love sarees and I think Sonam can carry it off well but this saree was not that nice.
About Aish..m glad she wore a nice saree but her appearance was not that great, according to me. I think Ash looked a bit dull. Bipasha wore a saree too but I dont have the pics anymore. If I will be able to find them I will share it :)

Hey hey πŸ˜ƒ
I agree about Ash. Her hairstyle wasn't nice. It was kind of plastered. But I liked the way she wore the sari and the sari itself. It looked so graceful. Esp when you compare it to Deepika's appearance at Cannes last year. And the fact that she wore the sari to Cannes won my heart, obviously πŸ˜‰ I wish that happened more often at Cannes.
Please do share the pic.. That would be great.
<3
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: ..kiran..

Hey hey πŸ˜ƒ
I agree about Ash. Her hairstyle wasn't nice. It was kind of plastered. But I liked the way she wore the sari and the sari itself. It looked so graceful. Esp when you compare it to Deepika's appearance at Cannes last year. And the fact that she wore the sari to Cannes won my heart, obviously πŸ˜‰ I wish that happened more often at Cannes.
Please do share the pic.. That would be great.
<3

Yes Ash Saree was really nice indeed. Deepikas saree was nice to but she did not drape it gracefully and her overall appearance was bad. I think she did not devote ample time to groom herself. (So now we know how important it is to take a good amount of time while getting dressed up for a function.)
This is Bipashas pic
..kiran.. thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aradhana87

Yes Ash Saree was really nice indeed. Deepikas saree was nice to but she did not drape it gracefully and her overall appearance was bad. I think she did not devote ample time to groom herself. (So now we know how important it is to take a good amount of time while getting dressed up for a function.)
This is Bipashas pic

Um, I actually didn't like Deepika's sari. It seemed a bit tacky to me, esp seeing that it was for Cannes. And the way she wore it just made it worse. I loved her kundan earrings and her hairstyle though. 
Bipasha's sari, on the other hand, is very nice and classy, in its own understated way. I googled further and found the pallu had a very interesting design to it. Don't really like the way Bipasha's worn it (I'm kinda conservative when it comes to saris.. I think saris embody grace and dignity, and well, somebody's blouse showing like that, doesn't really do it for me). But I can't deny she does look graceful anyway, because she carries it very well. 
Thanks for sharing, Arundhati πŸ˜ƒ
A sari like that would be nice for the red carpet indeed, maybe with some more colour though.

..kiran.. thumbnail

And, speaking of colour, Mallika Sherawat,
our Cannes Queen of Surprises
has been going for lovely colours lately...

Here, at the cocktail party of 'Politics of Love' in which Mallika stars

Absolutely lovely! I love the airy-fairy gown, I love the colour, I love that Mallika has tried a new hairstyle, I love the fact that she has chosen to keep it simple and elegant, and I love the fact that her appearances have been so delightfully surprising this year. She looks very pretty! πŸ˜ƒ

viva_amez thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Wow...Mallika surprised me. She actually looks beautiful and all appropriaty at once haha...i like the dress n the color...it looks amazing, im shocked lol