Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

joie de vivre thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: tulsi003

Usually one get paid due to the amount of experience they have in the field.

No, one gets paid for one's "look" and one's clout. Gisele Bundchen, 30, gets paid millions, because she can sell products more effectively than anyone else. Ever since she started promoting P&G's shampoos, the sales have rocketed by 40% in Latin America. Ash gets paid millions by L'Oreal because she sells products to Indians, not because of her age. 

For example, in the corporate world the more experienced person will get paid more than a young and perhaps a more skilled employee.

But this is the fashion/beauty world where 17 year old girls make millions because of their look and their body. Candice Swanepoel earns 3 million a year, and she's 22 years old. She earns that much because her body sells Victoria's Secret merchandise. I don't earn that much money because I don't look like her or have her body. So, essentially, she's selling her look, and thus she will be judged for her look. 

Also, when she was 27 years old she was a killer looks wise. She could've given any of these new girls a run for their money, so did she get paid as much as the new generation does? I don't think so.

That's irrelevant. The thing is, she doesn't look very good nowadays, not because she's got older or has a wrinkle here or a line there, but because she's gained weight and looks plump and doesn't look good in haute couture clothes designed for trimmer women. And yes, she gets called out for her look because she is selling her look for a livelihood and is expected to look her best.

Edited by joie de vivre - 12 years ago
Originally posted by: joie de vivre

^The point of contention here is not her aging, it's her weight gain. Trust me, it IS possible for a middle aged star to maintain a figure. All she needs to do is work out and watch what she eats. That immediately shouldn't be equated with being unhealthy, as it is very much possible to eat healthy food which doesn't pile on the pounds. She doesn't feel it's necessary, and when she steps out in clothes which've been designed for trimmer women, she does look fair to middling.  Or else she needs to wear clothes which don't accentuate her podginess. Wearing an off-shoulder gown is ill-advised when one's arms are flabby. Likewise wearing a dress with a short hemline isn't the cleverest thing to do if one's thighs aren't toned. Being in showbiz, she'll perhaps be judged more harshly than an average 37 year old. Simple as that.

Exactly my point too...Why is age an important factor here???Is a 27 year old not capable of gaining any extra pounds???
tulsi003 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
But why do you think that happens?Obviously because they know they are going to be judged if they don't look as pretty. The society gave them too much importance, and once that was gone they were no longer important.About her weight gain. Does she endorse a product in which she asks the consumers to lose weight? How do we know she's not working on her body, she might have health issues. My mom has thyroid, and she exercises and eats healthy but she's not as skinny as she use to be. Edited by tulsi003 - 12 years ago
tulsi003 thumbnail
Well, I was just upset about mean language used in the article.
tulsi003 thumbnail

But this is the fashion/beauty world where 17 year old girls make millions because of their look and their body. Candice Swanepoel earns 3 million a year, and she's 22 years old. She earns that much because her body sells Victoria's Secret merchandise. I don't earn that much money because I don't look like her or have her body. So, essentially, she's selling her look, and thus she will be judged for her look. 

Also, when she was 27 years old she was a killer looks wise. She could've given any of these new girls a run for their money, so did she get paid as much as the new generation does? I don't think so.

That's irrelevant. The thing is, she doesn't look very good nowadays, not because she's got older or has a wrinkle here or a line there, but because she's gained weight and looks plump and doesn't look good in haute couture clothes designed for trimmer women. And yes, she gets called out for her look because she is selling her look for a livelihood and is expected to look her best.

Well guess what? In india longevity and star power surely matters. I mean why do they have Salman Khan and Shahrukh khan endorse some product when clearly there  aremany younger guys who look better than them and have better bodies?
Edited by tulsi003 - 12 years ago

But why do you think they will that way?Obviously because they know they are going to be judged if they don't look as pretty. About her weight gain. Does she endorse a product in which she asks the consumers to lose weight? How do we know she's not working on her body, she might have health issues. My mom has thyroid, and she exercises and eats healthy but she's not as skinny as she use to be.

I already answered that...People around you are just an extension of your own mindset...The problem is when a person cannot get over his/her glorious past and expects people to give the same kind of attention...Such people sure get ridiculed...

I don't want to know what health issues she has or whether she is working on her body or not...All the customer is looking forward to, is a perfect look and she gets judged for it...In fact she signed up for it when she willingly sold her presence for money...Some people will like it, some people wont! Some people are more understanding and considerate and some people are cut throat and even rude...Its all a part of the deal you see!
tulsi003 thumbnail
Yeah I guess it is apart of the deal. That being said, she's truly worth the money she makes. Regardless of what other people may feel. Edited by tulsi003 - 12 years ago
joie de vivre thumbnail

About her weight gain. Does she endorse a product in which she asks the consumers to lose weight? How do we know she's not working on her body, she might have health issues. My mom has thyroid, and she exercises and eats healthy but she's not as skinny as she use to be.

It's not her adverts per se which anyone's got a problem with. It's her red carpet appearances. The problem isn't that she's not as "skinny" as she used to be either. Nobody wants her to look like a high fashion model. But she doesn't have to be flabby either. Toning parts of her body which have grown flabby isn't impossible, isn't something which demeans her in any way and is something which will make her look good and live up to her rep as the most beautiful woman in the world. 

Ines de la F is 54, Uma Thurman is 40, Nicole Kidman is almost 44. Cate Blanchett is 42. None of these women are unhealthily thin. But they work on their bodies and look good even at their respective ages. So yes, when Ash shares a red carpet with these women, she comes a cropper. That's that.
joie de vivre thumbnail

Well guess what? In india longevity and star power surely matters. I mean why do they have Salman Khan and Shahrukh khan endorse some product when clearly there  aremany younger guys who look better than them and have better bodies?

But she's on a global stage with global celebrities. Bar is instantly set high. 
tulsi003 thumbnail
Well, first of all we were discussing endorsements and why customers should expect the best out of her.So i don't know where u bought the red carpet topic from. Regarding the red carpet, yeah i agree she can look better. However, she may have problems in losing weight we don't know the other side of the story.