Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*dewdrop~pearl* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

You have missed out on a lot of great paranormal fiction and given the WORST paranormal fiction a chance. Yaar, have you never seen Underworld? Vampires and werewolves in that one. This is a conflict between races that has been used in a lot of paranormal fiction. Twilight is far from the only one - in fact, most of the vamp/wolf literature came before Twilight.

Yeah, the soul factor. Thing is that Angelus was the bada## vampire who cared for nothing, did the dirty deeds, hurt people, terrorized the world with his psycho-mate Darla, and then he messed with the wrong people (gypsies) and they cursed him. The curse was that he be given back his soul, so that he could feel remorse and the pain of having killed millions of people.

The pain of feeling what he'd done would've driven him insane, but he chose to go down the path of redemption. Chose to save people (kinda like a vampire superhero, LMAO) and through that, he hoped to redeem himself.

Tragic point was just that, being a vampire, he was damned. And his chances of redeeming himself were slim. But he kept trying, regardless of how much he hated himself and didn't feel that he deserved it... he wanted redemption.

Actually I wouldnt have watched Twilight even, but my sis really wanted to see it, so she was behind me to watch it 😆! The only part I liked of it was the 1st one, maybe cos it had a difference, but the remaining never made any sense!

@ blue - Hmm sounds interesting!

I love stories of metamorphorsis, where people make mistakes, but they go out of their way to redeem themselves. If such a story is woven with a love story, nothing better 😉! But in such stories, the character sketch is REALLY important. The sketch needs to be evil and good at the right places. Whether good or bad, the character needs to have strong impact on the audience - while they are bad, we should hate them, and when they are good, we should love them equally! Such character sketches are really challenging from writer, director and actor's point of view. I think thats where Dutta's character sketch, writing, and MR's acting clicked perfectly! On TV, there are many other male protagonists who are much "nicer" than Dutta, but the liking you take for a character like Dutta who has done the REAL bad things in life (like killing people!), you dont feel that way for any regular "nice" hero!

I think even Dutta's problem was similar - He hated himself from inside, and at some level thought he dint deserve anything "good" in life (though he has been in a continuous journey towards redemption). He dint consciously/subconsciously believe anyone can love him dearly (the way Nakku loved him). And this feeling reinforced the hatred he had for himself, which he shows out in the form of anger, and killing people! He has this thing, he forgives his enemies easily when HE is happy in life, and if he is depressed, he punishes them severely!

Edited by *dewdrop~pearl* - 12 years ago
deactivated1 thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: *dewdrop~pearl*

Actually I wouldnt have watched Twilight even, but my sis really wanted to see it, so she was behind me to watch it 😆! The only part I liked of it was the 1st one, maybe cos it had a difference, but the remaining never made any sense!

@ blue - Hmm sounds interesting!

I love stories of metamorphorsis, where people make mistakes, but they go out of their way to redeem themselves. If such a story is woven with a love story, nothing better 😉! But in such stories, the character sketch is REALLY important. The sketch needs to be evil and good at the right places. Whether good or bad, the character needs to have strong impact on the audience - while they are bad, we should hate them, and when they are good, we should love them equally! Such character sketches are really challenging from writer, director and actor's point of view. I think thats where Dutta's character sketch, writing, and MR's acting clicked perfectly! On TV, there are many other male protagonists who are much "nicer" than Dutta, but the liking you take for a character like Dutta who has done the REAL bad things in life (like killing people!), you dont feel that way for any regular "nice" hero!

I think even Dutta's problem was similar - He hated himself from inside, and at some level thought he dint deserve anything "good" in life (though he has been in a continuous journey towards redemption). He dint consciously/subconsciously believe anyone can love him dearly (the way Nakku loved him). And this feeling reinforced the hatred he had for himself, which he shows out in the form of anger, and killing people! He has this thing, he forgives his enemies easily when HE is happy in life, and if he is depressed, he punishes them severely!

Point 👏

That's Dutta. I'll never forget the scene where he lit a man on fire post-FR, because he was pissed and hurt. That showed me a terrible side of Dutta and though I hated what he did, I also justified it inside in my head and that's when you know that you're losing it. LMAO.

Though you should to watch the vampire show as you can draw a lot of similarities b/w the vampire lead and Dutta. Like you said, one hates the character when he's evil, but then loves him when he's good and that's exactly what happens on the vampire show. The paranormal elements seem more like an ugly reflection of the reality - how much evil the world contains and that it needs heroes. It's just ironic that the villain became the hero.

The beautiful part is that the vampire is constantly in fear of losing his soul again, because he fears what he'd become and what he'd do. It's of utmost importance to him that he does the right thing - keeps his soul. Which is funny, because when he didn't have it, he despised the fact that he'd ever had a soul as a human.

There was love in the show as well. But the kind of love that started with a friendship, a close one, and then gradually grew to something more. The girl was basically the one thing who kept him on the right track, pushing him, supporting him, and reminding him of the mission. Redemption. That was beautiful. However, his curse didn't allow him any sort of real happiness either or he'd lose his soul again, so... their love-story was tragic. They could never really be together as a moment of perfect happiness would rip his soul from him.