SS-No One But You - Last Part /Page 27 - Page 3

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by Traxy101

This story is great so far, I especially loved the ending part. Can't wait for the next update and where you take the story next.

Thank You Traxy101.. I shall try and keep your interest... 
Edited by angelirebelli - 12 years ago
Originally posted by jasmin0000

Thanks that was beautiful piece of writing 👏👏👏  waiting eagerly for next part..    

Thank you Jasmin0000 , I am glad you liked it... 😊
Originally posted by tina_1234

nice writin waitin for next part :))

Thank you Tina_1234, U r very kind..

I shall try to hold your interest...😊
Originally posted by Eesha2

Wow you really do have an amazing talent for writing. This was absolutely wonderful. And I totally agree with Shilpa. Your Gopi is amazing and exactly how we want her to be. Amazing start. Please continue soon. 

awww .. i am all blushes... Thank You Eesha, u r very kind... 

I realize there are heaps of people who want Gopi to stop being a doormat. I want her to think for herself and fend for herself...
Originally posted by chenling

That was wonderful, I love the way you show Gopi thinking about every little thing.  She clearly sees where she is and how it relates to Ahem and the rest of the family.  You really let us get a chance to really understand her character.  Fantastic and gripping, you really leave the reader wanting more.  I can't wait for you to update. 

Thank you, Chenling for ur kind and generous post... I want Gopi to get out of her weakling mindset and come face to face with reality, the sooner she does that, the better for her, I suppose...So this in a way is my take to the current story... 

I hope to measure up to ur expectations...
Originally posted by Jake-neil

Angel, that was really a great start. Loved it

Thank you, Jake... 😊
Thank You all for your support and encouragement !! I shall strive to measure up to your expectations. 

Here is Part 2.

PART 2

A week after she decided on her course of action, she was waiting for Aham's return. When Aham returned, she was looking for an opportunity to talk to him privately. He was busy as usual for the first couple of days and Gopi, not wanting to procrastinate any further, decided to leave him a note with his tea the next morning. She wanted to talk to him, in private, later tonight, it said.

The next morning Aham would have almost missed the carefully written note, had it not been for Mani asking for a reply. It took him a moment to realize it was from Gopi. What, was she up to now, he wondered. It took him few more to realize, she wrote it and before he delved in it further he turned towards Mani to say something but decided against it and scribbled on the note instead and gave it to her.

On his way to work Aham realized he had barely seen Gopi from the time when they returned from Switzerland. The only time he saw her was during the aarti each day. Then his thoughts circumvented any other which could hold him guilty to what was it she wanted? Why did she have to send him a note? What was she trying to prove sending him a note? Ok, she could write now and obviously read and comprehend, this is an interesting development. Did she want me to know that she could read and write now? Did it matter to you? Well I married her and she is my wife, but aren't you married to the job?  While still contemplating he reached his office and Gopi, as usual, was put on the back burner.

Gopi had, as usual carried out her chores and was now trying to maintain her composure. She did not want to falter today, not that it mattered. She wanted to go thru this with dignified poise and with as little mess as possible. She had decided not to let her feelings lead her and wanted to use her head more often and realized there was no better time or moment than this. She did not want Aham to see her as a weakling, as someone who was intimidated by his mere mention or an emotional wreck; she wanted to be in control, at least of herself.

After dinner, when everyone retired, Gopi was getting extremely nervous and fidgety. She was reconsidering her idea of meeting him in his room. She, quite frankly, was dreading it. At about 10 pm when she thought everyone was asleep and would not disturb them, she began to make her way towards their, his, room. She was about to chicken out but then saw the light from under the door and knocked softly and pushed the door open. When the opened the door she saw Aham glaring at her like he always did and it was then she decided it was the right thing to do.

Aham had a rough day at work, the licenses required to begin work on the project were not approved yet thus delaying it. He wanted his first major international project to be a benchmark for his company, their clients and competitors alike. He wanted it to be referred to as a model project. This was Aham's dream, it was his baby. He was annoyed at the speed at which things were moving or rather things were not moving  and was preparing his plan of action when he heard a knock and when he watched her push the door ajar and walk in, it was then he realized about the note and he had forgotten all about it.

He thought again - what this could be about? he wondered.  Is she coming to me about petty house issues with Rashi? But she had never done that before and why send a note for private chat? Instead of wasting time he got straight to the point – "What is it that you wanted to talk about?" – It did not come out right. He was authoritative, was clearly irritated and wanted to get things done and over with. 

She walked in slowly, in the process trying to regain her composure.  She moved towards him and the empty seat by the couch, contemplating between standing and sitting and in the end deciding to stand. She looked at him, trying to establish eye contact, and spoke out very softly and slowly – "Ahamji, these past few weeks  I had the time to consider our situation"  she said nervously playing with her pallu within her fingers, she continued with a little confidence, " we are like people from two different planets, we come from different backgrounds and have, maybe, different expectations from life and the people we want to share it with ", she paused looking for a reaction, he was listening wide-eyed, " I have had a chance to analyze our situation, which is not of our making ,but we are the ones in it", she went on " I sought advice from a family lawyer.."

"Lawyer??" repeated a very amused Aham, who was distracted until now, and Gopi now knew she had his undivided attention, for once

" in the strictest confidence of course, " she replied "yes of course !!" he snapped, not wanting to think where it was leading

Gopi continued with her monologue "I met up with the lawyer last week, in order to apply for a divorce, he had explained to me various options available but I think we could agree upon divorce by mutual consent." There she said it. "The other options are rather too messy for everyone involved." She added, in a way wanting to tell him that she had done her research.

He was staring at her, wondering what had gotten into her, and then he smiled softly thinking about the afternoon on Holi and asked, "Did you by any chance get something mixed up in your food or drink?"

"No "she replied still looking at him in all earnestness. "What I am trying to propose to you is that if we mutually agree to dissolve the marriage, then we will have 6 months to file for the petition and be divorced after a hearing."  She said in one breath.  Aham looked at her quizzically. She went on "... six months will give me time to think about my future and also we need not tell anyone about the development yet and can inform them later when we file our petition, otherwise things would be very difficult for both of us", Gopi said still hoping against hope that Aham would ask her stop all the nonsense.

"Why now, out of the blue, all of a sudden?" Aham questioned not only to her but to himself as well, still unconvinced about her and her motive. "There is no point living a charade, pretending day in and day out for the people who love you and care about you, we are only making them believe in a farce … their expectations will die a slow death, most of them have resigned to our future and Maaji will understand that it is in our best interests, she will let us go."

She paused and then went on, as if to justify her decision,  "I am not what you want, I cannot be, what you want me to be, and I have accepted that. I have led you to a lot of misery and some really uncomfortable situations but now I do not wish you to be in such situations in the future. I am not the right fit for you and I hope you find the person whom you can look at and treat as an equal and is your equal in all meanings of the word". 

Aham did not know what to say, he was spell bound, Gopi had never ever spoken to him like this, confidently and so much, without taking a break. She knew what she was talking about and the idea definitely appealed to him.  

Gopi said "Ahamji, if you agree to my proposition, then I have the papers in my room, I will get them for you to go through them and sign them. We could then visit the lawyer and ask him to complete the other formalities; however I have a couple of requests to make of you." There, Aham thought, I knew there was a catch. He waited patiently for her to spell it out.

"First of all, under no circumstance let anyone know of our deal and let us continue this charade for another six months, with mutual respect and trust."

"Don't you want anything else?" blurted Aham, surprised it came out loud.

"No" she said, "You can examine the contract, the lawyer has added the clause for zero maintenance or alimony, I will not be dependent on you after our separation."

Aham was shocked and had a gnawing feeling. He just shook his head, in disbelief. Gopi, saying that she would bring the papers for him peruse, turned slowly and left the room. While walking back to her room, she was trying to pacify and reason with herself. She walked with her head held high, but was shredding up at the core. 

She went to Aham's room, knocked again and walked in to leave the documents by his laptop. He was still in shock from what he had just heard. Gopi had decided everything and there was nothing much he had to do. Gopi, while still at the door looked back and said, "Ahamji, if you want any changes to be made, we could discuss this with the lawyer when we visit him in a day or two. Just let me know whenever you are ready and I shall fix an appointment".  Saying this Gopi left.

Gopi rushed back to her room, closed the door and cried her heart out. She had made her point and now it was up to her to act and remain indifferent around Aham. She did not wish for anyone to figure out anything until the last minute. Her defense was not strong against the only family she had had and known. In the meantime, Gopi decided, had to prepare herself for whatever lay ahead after the six month period. She was determined to make it on her own. She had decided to increase her course load with her tutor, arranged by Papaji and Baa. On Papaji's insistence she had decided about enrolling herself into a basic computer course. She realized if she planned and stuck to it, she could fit her new schedule into her routine.

Aham read and re-read the document; it was simple and straight forward. He just gazed into the night, blank. He knew, he had t talk to Gopi first, before setting things in motion. He had to check his schedule for the next day and clear the afternoon.

************End of Part 2***********************

oh wow, she is really getting smart. Best course of action in my opinion. She is hurting now but all will be worth it in the end.

This was a fabulous part, I felt as though I was right there with her, feeling her emotions.

I can't wait for the next part. Please continue soon.
Originally posted by sbp1971

oh wow, she is really getting smart. Best course of action in my opinion. She is hurting now but all will be worth it in the end.

This was a fabulous part, I felt as though I was right there with her, feeling her emotions.

I can't wait for the next part. Please continue soon.

Thank You sooo much.. Shilpa... U r very kind... 

For me, personally , I think Aham needs to get a shocker to get to his senses and be human again.. He cant be all high and mighty all the time. I am sure somewhre deep down.. he is a very caring and a romantic man.. or so I hope !!! 😊
aaawww luved it...bring on d next part soon :))