Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
No, I don't believe in the immortality of Vyasa, or else, i'd have believed that he was around to write the Vedas.  I'm open to the probability that the Puranas preceded him and others came much later - I only suggested that he wrote some of them, which is not the same as claiming that he wrote all of them.

All the devas, such as Indra, Surya, Varun, Vayu, Yama, et al were recognized gods, and worshipped as such, even as late as the Dwapar Yuga (the incident of Krishna & the Govardhan mountain).  So calling it monotheistic is still inaccurate.  And when you reference western religions, I'm assuming that you're not talking Judaism or Chirsitanity here, but rather, Greek, Roman and Norse religions, where you had Gods like Apollo (the Greek equivalent of Surya), Zeus (the Roman equivalent of Brihaspati) and Thor (the Norse equivalent of Indra).  All 3 of these were polytheistic, as was the Vedic religion.

Even the trinity model in Hinduism - Brahma, Vishnu & Shiva- qualifies as polytheistic, by definition.  It's not a question of whether monotheism is better than polytheism or vice versa, it's just a question of the terms.  Any religion w/ just 1 god is monotheistic.  Any religion w/ >1 god is polytheistic.  The post-Puranic model is more pantheistic i.e. every god gets to be recognized as such and worsipped.
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
No  Vrish, I am not referring to Hellenic or Roman religions. I was referring to Abrahamic religions, where there are several celestial deities. But normally, Theism is considered with reference to Supreme God and not deities or demi-gods. By that logic, Vedic religion was monotheistic.

Rehanism thumbnail
How's this Krishna?😳

...Mina... thumbnail
with ram ji and krishna ji being shown blue, id like to leave an input.😳 actually, ram ji and krishna ji were never blue as per any texts !! that's just the way paintings show them because its easier than coloring them 'dark' since indians have this thing against darkness and showing gods dark would be controversial. ram ji and krishna ji had dark skin and some sources even say they were golden because of their godliness, but they were never blue, since thats not even a natural skin color people then or now had.😆 so im satisfied with the sagars' choice of actors for ram ji, both arun ji and guru bhaiya have a darkish, goldish skin, and nitish bharadwaj ji was also dark.👏
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Darklord_Rehan

I personally don't think any of the human Avatars were blue as per original texts. As far as I know,

Vaman was pale yellow
Parashuram was wheatish
Ram was of golden or turmeric hue, much like Sati/Gauri
Krishna was dark-skinned, like Kali

The blue colour is an artistic representation as portraying dark in painting is difficult. In case of Ram, I think they want to distinguish Ram from Lakshman and depict him as Vishnu, so artists portray them as the same colour as of Vishnu ie Cloudy blue. Even Goddess Kali is mostly painted blue while she should be black. The only blue-hued Gods are Vishnu and Shiva. While the former has colour of Cloudy day sky, the latter has a colour of Moonlit night sky.

I think RS Ram (and for that matter all Rams) were convincing as per skin colour. Nitish Bharadwaj was dark skinned as well. So he was perfect as Krishna IMO. But SD Bannerjee was not only fair, but they added pink face powder and magenta lip-colour to made him look a complete mismatch.😛

Well, I haven't read all the religious texts out there so I can't comment on all of them, but the ones I did read describe Vishnu and his avatars as dark. Even Lord Vishnu was not blue, he was just dark, and yes, Ram and Krishna were also dark. I remember my mother mentioning once that Vaman avatar and Parashuram avatar were not dark but light-skinned, like you mentioned, but Ram and Krishna were dark, just not blue. It has become a common misconception of people to think Vishnu and his avatars are blue, because of famous paintings and also (mostly) because of the old mythological movies which showed Ram and Krishna in such vibrant blue that it looked  as if they were drenched in paint (they probably were).😆

Anyhow, we never really know how the Gods looked since all these stories took place so long ago, so like I mentioned before, color really doesn't matter to me. I don't flinch when I see a fair Ram or Krishna, as long as their characterization is spot on and the story is accurate...but like you said, SK's older Krishna did look a bit too fair. But it's not really SDB's fault, because I saw him in other movies and his natural skin color is normal looking...the SK makeup artists powdered him way too much so that he looked even lighter than some Americans.😳 They did not do that to any of the other Krishnas in the earlier phases (Ashok Balakrishnan in particular looked appropriately dark), so I don't know why they did it to SDB.

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Darklord_Rehan

How's this Krishna?😳

Which show is this?

And Krishna's skin color looks alright, but what's with the hair?😆
Rehanism thumbnail
^^ That's from Xena : Warrior Princess.

Vishnu is mainly of the colour of clouds - Meghavarnam Shuvangam - a mix of grey and blue.
This one can be called almost a perfect representation of Vishnu's colour

Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Gabrielle Reece looked like this? 😲Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago