Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

petticoat thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
i thought ash's yellow saree was the prettiest

sonam's dress looks pretty from a far shot..the netting looks weird to me in the close ups. not to mention the jutting tail of the dress
deepika's saree was a disaster item girl costume

_notinuse_ thumbnail
way to go Sonam. SLB must be eating his words when he said no one but him can make Sonam so beautiful. I am really surprised that a bollywood actress finally got it right in the international arena. I mean, what's with these bikini saris by the others? It was a pleasant surprise seing Sonam's white gown.
Edited by PandorasBox - 12 years ago
qwww thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Sonam's best outfit was the Blue Photoshoot one  - She looked fabulous, very divalicious  - no complaints at all.
Her red carpet appearence was very good from a distance  but the closeups with that awful mosquito net  around her, that sleeve and that shoulder pad spoilt the look. for me. Just the gown was beautiful tho - she has a rockin hot bod to show it off without that weird back and the netting .
I loathe that masaba saree. There is more to sarees than MM and Sabya. She could have picked a truly Indian one straight from our weavers instead of going with a sorry excuse of a saree.
The white outfit the more I look at it the more I like  - I guess she wanted to let the Chopard jewellery do the talking. She looked tiered but very elegant at the same time.
She looks so happy in the chocolate shop πŸ˜†Cute!! Her enthusiasm for Cannes in her interviews was adorable.
 Now we wait for Frieda.

Edited by qwww - 12 years ago
BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: KatForeva

I agree! She looked fab in that outfit!πŸ˜›

sonam definitely had the best debut at cannes!!! she looked amazing! her hair, makeup, and dress looked great! yes the dress is unique but thats what i love about it!!!

deepika's debut was worst, mallika is mallika, and i think this sari is one of Ash's best looks at cannes... but i agree she never really gets it right!
BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

is she signing an autograph in that one pic? ... nice! the photographers followed her everywhere!!
jaanlover thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Yes, they cannes !!

Amit Roy is bowled over by Sonam Kapoor the bookworm and mesmerised by Aishwarya Rai Bachchan the global heroine.

Sonam Kapoor on the 2011 Cannes red carpet in a Jean Paul Gaultier couture gown
Within five minutes of meeting Sonam Kapoor, you realise not that she is an absolute charmer β€” which she is β€” but that this kid is going to have a tough time getting a husband who is her intellectual equal.

The question you ask yourself is: is this the cleverest girl in Bollywood? Shouldn't she be teaching English at Jadavpur?

We are on the seventh floor terrace of the Martinez, which is where the French cosmetics giant, L'Oreal, has its Cannes headquarters. Under a parasol, Sonam reminds you of that iconic photograph of Francoise Gilot, Pablo Picasso's mistress, with the artist. Beyond the Croisette, the Mediterranean sparkles in perfect early summer sunshine. The yachts, big and small β€” and an extra large one when Vijay Mallya is around β€” look pristine white. Sonam, who had flown into Cannes the previous evening, looks freshly scrubbed, pretty in a red dress β€” and ready for the film festival.

Sonam, who has been a L'Oreal ambassador for three years β€” Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Freida Pinto are the two other women from India β€” says she has had an exceptionally busy year but generally spaces her work and shooting schedule so that she gets time to read.

"I love reading, I read too much β€” I have bad eyesight because of it."

She goes on: "I read anything and everything. I love the classics, I love Indian contemporary authors β€” I love Rohinton Mistry's work, I love Vikram Seth's work, I love Chitra Banerjee (Divakaruni) β€” I think she is surreal and very Indian and very beautiful."

Sonam Kapoor at Cannes. Picture by Amit Roy
She likes Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. She is also keen on the American cult author, Charles Michael "Chuck" Palahniuk and his novels, Fight Club (1996) and Choke (2001).

At 16, she read the novels of another American, Ayn Rand, notably The Fountainhead (1943) and Atlas Shrugged (1957). "One role I would love to do is that of Dagny Taggart from Atlas Shrugged," she confides.

She loves books and their smell but because of weight restrictions on flights, she now tends to download her reading onto an iPad.

Surely, as one of the most highly regarded young actresses on the scene and as Anil Kapoor's daughter, she can rely on a team of 50 flunkies to carry her luggage and her books? "I don't," she laughs. "I only have a manager and a valet."

The suggestion that in Bollywood an actress who enjoys reading must be rare produces a mild rebuke. "That is such a misconception," she remarks. "I know for a fact that Kajol reads a lot."

L'Oreal appears to have done the right thing in picking Sonam but the offer came via her agency immediately after she had made Saawariya. "They said L'Oreal wants to sign you. I signed before (my next film) Delhi-6 released. It took six months for the negotiations. I signed after (only) a year of being in the (film) industry."

She sets out what she has to do for L'Oreal: "I have been part of their skincare line and the make-up and the hair β€” I basically endorse most of their products, actually. I know a lot about make-up, trust me."

She disagrees when it is put to her that women in India tend to use too much make-up. "That's an antiquated idea of what India is right now, especially where cinema is concerned, because in my second film I was not wearing make-up. It was just a little bit of concealer in Delhi-6. In a country like India you can't get away with wearing too much make-up because of the climate. Since I have been aware of make-up, it has always been 'less is more'. I think that always works." Sonam recently shot some video tutorials on how to apply make-up.

There is yet another disagreement over whether the shape of the Indian woman has altered, with the modern generation tending to work out in gyms. She concedes she has not thought about the subject but "if I look back on it you see Nargis and Nutan were very, very skinny. But at the same time you have Mumtaz and Madhubala who were a little bigger".

"Then again you look at Madhuri Dixit and look at Sridevi," she continues. "Sridevi was bigger but Madhuri was really thin, she had thin legs β€” she was known for her body. And then you have Zeenat Aman and Parveen Babi who had great bikini bodies. You had Sharmila Tagore β€” I don't think it (the shape of the Indian woman) has altered to such an extent. The only thing that has changed is that we are taller. Our generation is just taller."

Sonam would have liked it if she and Aishwarya and Freida had been photographed together. "Three different heights β€” I think I am the tallest in most countries," she observes. "I am really tall β€” I am 5ft 10. Most of the girls in the West are not as tall as me."

Is there an agreed idea in India of what constitutes beauty? "I don't think so β€” we are so diverse in our skin colour, hair colour, eye colour," she muses. "I don't think there is a particular idea because you have a Kajol, who is dusky and beautiful, and then you have an Aishwarya, who is porcelain skin and beautiful. Both of them are the top stars."

This girl, who can speak entertainingly on any subject, would sail through the toughest Oxbridge interview, you conclude. "You have Kareena Kapoor and you have Rani Mukerji and both of them are equally big stars, so the perception is wrong that only fair-skinned girls succeed because our country has that diversity. You always had a Smita Patil and a Shabana Azmi. It has never been like you have to be fair, especially in the movie industry. I have grown up with Zeenat Aman β€” her skin colour is the same as mine."

This year, the 23 (out of 25) global L'Oreal ambassadors who have come to Cannes are showing off gold coloured cosmetics during their red carpet appearances. But why gold? "Because gold is sun-kissed," says Sonam. "India if anything is a country that is completely sun-kissed."

Bollywood's gold girl then talks about the late Maharani Gayatri Devi who was hailed by Vogue as one of the most beautiful women in the world. "Have you read her autobiography β€” A Princess Remembers? I liked it a lot. She was the daughter of the Maharani of Coochbehar."

The mother (Indira Devi) is another role Sonam would like to play. "If Maharani Gayatri Devi was a dynamic person, the mother was crazy, she was amazing. She used to have a tiger with her; she was really revolutionary in the way she used to think, the way she used to dress, the way she used to throw parties..."

"There is a portion (in A Princess Remembers) where she talks of how her saris keep falling because she never knew how to drape a proper sari. She was a tomboy, right? Everybody thought, 'Oh, my God, what a fashion icon', but she (Gayatri Devi) used to dress like her mum in her chiffon saris... There is a portion (in the book) when she is coming down the stairs and she had to run back up. It was really hilarious."

Coming from a film family and being Anil Kapoor's daughter have helped her career. "Of course, it helps. It would be taking something away from my family if I said it didn't. But I have never been at any of his sets because our mum (Sunita Kapoor) wanted us to have a very grounded childhood β€” we went to a normal school, then I went to boarding school. By the time I was back I started working, I never had a chance to digest that my dad was a big star."

While Slumdog Millionaire has opened up a new phase in her father's career, Sonam, too, has her own fan following. "For me it is mostly young girls and young kids β€” it is not too many adults," she says. "Yeah, they do go a little mad. I was a little crazy when I was younger. I had posters of everybody in my room and I would scream and shout. I saw Will Smith once and I could not speak because I had just seen Men in Black."

Her heroes are sometimes unexpected. "The same thing happened to me when I met Salman Rushdie at a party β€” when I saw him I could not get a word out. I was 15 β€” I was very young. It was 10 years ago."

She claims she can have a normal life in Mumbai. "I think in Bombay you can because they are so used to bigger stars β€” if I am there, Amitabh Bachchan or Shah Rukh Khan are right next to me. If you go to other parts of India like Delhi or Calcutta then you can't (wander around in public) but in Bombay the vibe of the city is very casual."

This is Sonam's first Cannes β€” and she will do the usual things: walk the red carpet, attend parties, see a couple of movies. But it won't be her last.

Cannes is currently showing iconic photographs from the past of stars such as Brigitte Bardot and Grace Kelly. Who knows but 50 years from now, Sonam's photographs from this week may merit inclusion under the "old is gold" theme.

She did look exquisite against the backdrop of the sea.
jaanlover thumbnail
Sonam made a brave choice for Cannes red carpet: Designers

Fashion savvy Sonam Kapoor made her debut on the Cannes red carpet in a Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2009 couture gown and designers feel that the classic and vintage look suited her well and enhanced her figure.

L'Oreal brand ambassador Sonam attended "The Artist" premiere at the 64th Annual Cannes Interntaional Film Festival May 15 in the form-fitted net gown and teamed it up with Chopard earrings, an Amrapali ring and peep-toe heels by Salvatore Ferragamo.

More than her dress, it was her shapely buttocks that attracted eyeballs. Designer Nil of label Dev R Nil, who designed one of her the dresses for a press conference at Cannes, thinks she made a brave choice in choosing a dress which was different from Indian sensibilities.

"She has gone for a very classic and vintage look. I think it was quite a brave choice considering such an architectural draping and completely non-embroidered gown which was quite contrary to the Indian sensibilities. The gown was beautiful and well-constructed, highlighting her butt. Also her hair-do and make up was kept very minimal keeping in mind her face and bone structure," Nil told IANS.

"She also wore a one piece shift gown which was very beautiful, and on another occassion, a lovely polka dotted silk sari with a shirt inspired blouse designed by good friend Masaba Gupta. She is a style icon in herself and she proved it once again," he added.

For designer Arpan Vohra, Sonam scored highest in comparison to her counterparts like Aishwarya Rai and Mallika Sherawat.

"The gown was a couture piece of modern inspired artwork and Sonam looked very chic in it. She is tall and that helps her carry the gown with a long trail with ease. She loves to experiment and here too she scored the highest in comparison to her counterparts," Vohra told IANS.

The 25-year-old managed to grab eyeballs for revealing her butt in the gown and designer Varija Bajaj says it was because of technical flaw in the gown.

"From a distance I liked her overall bold look which she carried with great style for her first appearance. Technically the outfit was badly finished with raw seams of net and not so twisted hip clutcher. She did her best in choosing the outfit, but the designer should be blamed for the technical faults. She could have also demanded a better finishing from the designer," said Bajaj.

"If the designer could have used a small hole net than a big hole, it would have looked more graceful. In short, good design and style by the designer, but technically flawed execution," she added.
- Deccan Herald
jaanlover thumbnail

jaanlover thumbnail

Edited by jaanlover - 12 years ago
sheee thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

B-town beauties at Cannes

TNN | May 18, 2011, 12.00am IST
Sonam Kapoor
A wash of white, a burst of coral, a dash of black and the sparkle of champagne marked the arrival of our Bollywood beauties at the 64th Cannes film festival.

The actresses outdid themselves with an interesting mix of styles that got the shutterbugs into a frenzy and the fashion police hard at work. From quiet and elegant lacy attire to breezy nets and flamboyant fabrics, the mood was playful enough for the sweet airs of the south of France and yet seriously put together for the most prestigious film festival that happens at this time of the year.

Sonam Kapoor outdid herself by opting for some classic touches for the red carpet. She went in for a Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2009 gown, in a structured silhouette and a fishnet overlay. It was a good idea to choose couture for the occasion, and being tall and svelte, she was able to carry off this dress with its fanned out derriere to perfection. This was teamed with white Ferragamo peep-toe heels, Chopard stud earrings and an Amrapali cocktail ring on her finger. For other occasions at the festival, she opted for clothes by other famous designers.

Aishwarya Rai, Bollywood diva and the country's beauty icon was in the news at first for her brown Lanvin halter, double breasted, sleeveless trench dress, which she wore for a photocall. She teamed the dress with a pair of black strappy sandals, a beautiful watch, some rings and a bangle bracelet. A lot of comparisons were drawn between her and Angelina Jolie, when both of them appeared in knee-length, belted dresses and minimal jewel pieces, with hair left loose and playing in the breeze.

But it was Ash's gorgeous red carpet attire that created waves in fashion circles. She wore an Armani Prive Spring 2011 gown in white and navy with glittering diamond studs, a chunky bracelet and a Ferragamo silver metal handbag to complete her look. Her hair was gelled and pulled into a messy updo right in the centre of her head. At the opening ceremony of the festival, she appeared in a gorgeous one shoulder gown from the spring haute couture collection by Elie Saab.

Another Bollywood actress Minissha Lamba, a first timer at the Cannes Film Festival, wore a nude Gauri and Nainika gown, with a fitted bodice, lacy detailing on the shoulder and a flowing skirt, accessorised with a box clutch. The champagne gown suited her perfectly and she took the minimalistic route by not accessorising much.

As for Mallika Sherawat, she wore a black couture gown by Eric Tibusch, a see-through ensemble that outlined her lingerie. She looked as fabulous as she usually does and seemed unperturbed by the excitement that her dress seemed to create. At another event, she wore an outfit in cool chiffon.

When it comes to fashion, Bollywood gals are choosing international couture for red carpet events, and in a unique way, managing to adopt the styles and make them their own.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/B-town-beauties-at-Cannes/articleshow/8391188.cms
Edited by sheee - 12 years ago