Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Are debates necessary? (Page 2)

DamonSalvatore- IF-Rockerz
DamonSalvatore-
DamonSalvatore-

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by night13

This could be a debate about debates! and if it gets boring then we have a debate about debating debates that gets boring, surely that could keep us entertained for a while ...<lol>

To your point, we all want to prove a point, and want to hear another person's perceptive on the same subject. An healthy discussion is always welcomed as long as the individual is mature enough to debate and not take things personally. I never understood why so many debatable topics turn personal and negative; where you don't even know the person you are debating with especially in the world of Internet (open forums). To me life is a debate and you just can not run from it. :)

Well debates turn personal and negative becoz people debating just want their opinion to be dominating...so even if you dont know the person...one intends to fight for his opinion...

DamonSalvatore- IF-Rockerz
DamonSalvatore-
DamonSalvatore-

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Well we can even debate if this is a good siggy. I say it is very good and I like it.Thumbs Up
Opinions may differ esp if a membere does not like the persons shown here.

If a KSG siggy had appeared we would get varied response.

So you are saying that debate not necessarily on an intense topic, people would start debating on any matter whether its worth to have a debate on or not. Debates just takes place just for the sake of it
thegameison IF-Sizzlerz
thegameison
thegameison

Jedi of CC

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 12:45pm | IP Logged
Debate is often interpreted as arguing and quarreling, when you eloquently put your point across and won't stop unless you silence your counterpart. My interest in debating has for a long time now been into a misconception of my 'innate' habit of arguing and I am disgraced for no real reason.  Pig

Debating is a healthy practice, those who have the skill will tell you how much it helps in comprehending people's otherwise useless opinion, it is apt to make sense to you when you are in a debate and it must as well bring you to terms with people's ideas, they could be unlike yours which is why you dun agree and debate, they could be quaint, they could be thought-provoking and so forth. 

Debates are necessary as I'd like to believe, they are one of the best agents to communicate and share your thought-process, you are an avid debater if you can make an impact on people. It is never about conquering or asserting your fine idea of the subject, it is an exquisite art of displaying your opinion, world over. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DamonSalvatore-monar

monar IF-Sizzlerz
monar
monar

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged
I think Debates are necessary, not to pull down someone or to pose yourself smarter, and not even to push your staunch believes to someone. Debates are necessary to see and understand the other side of coin which we often miss because of our preconceptions and prejudice, It helps us to increase the scope of our views and knowledge, and opens us for wider thoughts...

btw, I agree to blue-ice too keep DM running we need to debate no matter if it is on debate.. Smile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

RehanismDamonSalvatore-ruky786

monar IF-Sizzlerz
monar
monar

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sparkjule

Originally posted by Summer3

Well we can even debate if this is a good siggy. I say it is very good and I like it.Thumbs Up
Opinions may differ esp if a membere does not like the persons shown here.

If a KSG siggy had appeared we would get varied response.

So you are saying that debate not necessarily on an intense topic, people would start debating on any matter whether its worth to have a debate on or not. Debates just takes place just for the sake of it

till people keep their cool and dont change the simple conversation to big altercation, debates on any subject r acceptable, anyways who will decide whether topic is insignificant or not? that too is individual perspective :)
blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by blue-ice

Debates are necessary for the survival of this Debate Mansion...

On a serious note ...why are debates thought of as a negative thing...debates don't mean that u have to win...u are simply putting forth ur opinion and why u think the way u think...of course the debates turn into fights when people start getting personal...if conducted in a proper manner...one can learn more from debates than from text books...just get rid of the idea that ur debate is going to change anyone...when did u change anyone the last time anywaysLOL

But the notion of debate, or the moment you hear tht you are in a debate it comes that my opinion should be dominant no matter what, i am not going to listen to anyone and yes you are right that debates have fights whn people get personal, debates can sometimes mislead too not necessarily educate more than text books if one has skill to put forth his opinion in a strong manner and his opinion need not most wise thn yes they are misleading too...i find it difficult tht people have tht in mind to get rid of the idea tht ur debate is gonna change anyone, they mostly debate to change the other

haha i didnt change anyone...anytimeLOL might have but dont remember LOL

yes u r right...what I described is what debate would be in a perfect world...what u described is what debate is in a real world...we all are far from perfect...and frankly speaking...there is no fun in being perfect...so enjoy the debates...aur fights hongi...toh Mods hain na...aakhir wo kis din kaam aayengeLOL
_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 12 May 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged

On a serious note ...why are debates thought of as a negative thing...debates don't mean that u have to win...u are simply putting forth ur opinion and why u think the way u think...of course the debates turn into fights when people start getting personal...if conducted in a proper manner...one can learn more from debates than from text books...just get rid of the idea that ur debate is going to change anyone...when did u change anyone the last time anywaysLOL

But the notion of debate, or the moment you hear tht you are in a debate it comes that my opinion should be dominant no matter what, i am not going to listen to anyone and yes you are right that debates have fights whn people get personal, debates can sometimes mislead too not necessarily educate more than text books if one has skill to put forth his opinion in a strong manner and his opinion need not most wise thn yes they are misleading too...i find it difficult tht people have tht in mind to get rid of the idea tht ur debate is gonna change anyone, they mostly debate to change the other

yes u r right...what I described is what debate would be in a perfect world...what u described is what debate is in a real world...we all are far from perfect...and frankly speaking...there is no fun in being perfect...so enjoy the debates...aur fights hongi...toh Mods hain na...aakhir wo kis din kaam aayengeLOL
Yeah! maintaining peace and order on the forum is the Mod's responsibility. When they volunteered to moderate the forum they willingly took it on . The Dmers never took on the responsibility of safeguarding every debator's feelings or sensibilities before they start bashing everyone right and left . However the Mods in turn have the power to dump their decision to save / ban/ terminate any one just like the captain of Titanic  ..and hmm..without some fire and ice  DM would be a dull place anyway ! I m not complaining!LOL 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

monarblue-ice.

-Aarya- IF-Dazzler
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

Yeah! maintaining peace and order on the forum is the Mod's responsibility. When they volunteered to moderate the forum they willingly took it on . The Dmers never took on the responsibility of safeguarding every debator's feelings or sensibilities before they start bashing everyone right and left . However the Mods in turn have the power to dump their decision to save / ban/ terminate any one just like the captain of Titanic  ..and hmm..without some fire and ice  DM would be a dull place anyway ! I m not complaining!LOL 

<lol> Are you sure you are not complaining! LOL
It's all about who get the 'last word'... thankfully there is a MOD!
Wink

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

blue-ice.

Go to top