Invasion of Privacy? Ref: Pg 18 - Page 3

Posted: 12 years ago
Did someone mention security cameras in washrooms?! Say what!
In the UK you aren't allowed to keep cameras in washrooms because it's a huge invasion of privacy.

I actually have no problem with security cameras being used at my school or my corner shop..my main problem is infact the inefficiency of these CCTV cameras and maybe this fear arises because I used to live in an area with an extremely high crime rate.
A couple of years ago the head of the Metropolitan Police came to my college to ask for any witnesses to come forward about the death of a young boy who was on his way back from the cinemas. It was around 8pm and he was mugged and then stabbed to death by a group of boys who then ran away and drove off in their car. There were several CCTV cameras on the street yet the quality of these cameras are really bad! It was extremely difficult to make out the number plate of the car, let alone identify the faces of those that escaped. So why does the govt spend so much money on these so-called 'security' cameras if they're not doing their job properly?

In stores like Tesco (largest supermarket over here) they too use security cameras but obviously for their own purpose and they very rarely share those videos with members of the public.

Speaking of invasion of privacy..I'm sure most people here have heard of the 'google street view' feature. It pretty much shows the entire front and backyard of a house, including any parked cars at the time where the number plates can be seen too. :| Not too long ago some guy was caught via google street view entering a p**n shop. :P I'm guessing he wasn't too happy about that! LolEdited by hindu4lyf - 12 years ago
Originally posted by .Doe.

@Bold: Does their responsibility towards public include taking marriage vows in front of the cameras? 😛
I am not sure.
Besides that, monarch doesn't rule Britain anymore. So, why should it be made public? It is an invasion of Will & Kate's privacy. Now even their honeymoon is going to be a public event..wait & watch. 😛

The royals are still considered public figures and are very much part of the parliament democratically elected in Britain.  

I think when it comes to Will and Kate they have made the decision to make their marriage a public event, so if honeymoon is also part of the same decision... I surely can't get to get some dirty details on that..
. 😉

Originally posted by night13

The royals are still considered public figures and are very much part of the parliament democratically elected in Britain.  

I think when it comes to Will and Kate they have made the decision to make their marriage a public event, so if honeymoon is also part of the same decision... I surely can't get to get some dirty details on that..
. 😉

The Queen as far as I know is the nominal head of the country. That isn't saying too much anyway..

Question is, did Will & Kate have a choice? This public royal marriage thing seems to have been there since long, even before Diana and that joker, Charles.

They are going to Seychelles I guess. Tough chance they don't get photographed or followed over there. 🤢
Edited by .Doe. - 12 years ago
The topic regarding IP addresses that is available to all members of the DT was created 6 months back and it's funny how it took the admins 6months to respond while all they said is 'we are looking in to it'. I wouldn't be too hopeful about when some action will finally be taken.
Btw there was actually a topic made before that regarding privacy issues that members had where vijay made a post implying that he thinks members are making a fuss over nothing. It's only recently when another topic was made that he said he will look in to it. Wonder why the sudden change of mind? Or maybe he was made aware of what happened to Madiha?

The monarch does indeed no longer rule Brtitain yet the Queen still gives a speech every Christmas at 3pm, civil servants also get a public holiday on the day of the Queen's birthday and we still celebrate the Royal Wedding. The Royal Family will always be under the spotlight, if they wanted to then they could have stopped cameras from rolling while the said their marriage vows but they didn't and that was for a reason.

Regarding phone tapping..this can be a good and a bad thing but either way it is still an invasion of privacy. I can't quite remember from the top of my head which tabloid newspaper it was that is being ordered to pay out huge payments to people like Max Clifford for tapping their phone. Now had they somehow manage to pick up some important information like bribery in the Shrien Dewani case or fraud or something else, then the paper's actions would seem completely justified but seeing as they didn't, the whole moral issue arrises.
Originally posted by .Doe.

At WHAT price? I am sorry, but I have heard many stories regarding people who have stalked others on IF. It's creepy when you read those.
This whole IP think can be avoided on IF, and even if it IS used, it has got to be restricted. 
There are more & enough rules on IF, not that there is freedom to say & do whatever you like, and if now, that isn't enough, we have this as well.
Think IF can avoid this. It's more of a loss than gain.

The price you pay for invasion of privacy! When you join IF, cause  you very well knew that your IP was logged, as it's clearly stated in the 'Terms Of Use' document.  The real question is what does it mean when your IP is logged? In most cases it means nothing cause the IP are logged to take statistics on the website and normally used for reporting purpose. There are ways to bypass it by having your computer run a non-static IP program to prevent from getting static IP log. 😉

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
Btw the Queen also plays a large role when it comes to elections.
Currently our Government is a coalition of the Conservatives who got majority of the votes and the Liberal Democrats. If the Lib Dems had not agreed to join the conservative govt then the issue would be taken to the queen and she would have made the final decision because none of the parties won wby an outright majority.
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

The topic regarding IP addresses that is available to all members of the DT was created 6 months back and it's funny how it took the admins 6months to respond while all they said is 'we are looking in to it'. I wouldn't be too hopeful about when some action will finally be taken.
Btw there was actually a topic made before that regarding privacy issues that members had where vijay made a post implying that he thinks members are making a fuss over nothing. It's only recently when another topic was made that he said he will look in to it. Wonder why the sudden change of mind? Or maybe he was made aware of what happened to Madiha?
I am not aware of this case. But I have read/heard about some creepy stories. They really suck. I heard that few people stalked the mods whom they had problem with on FB :D

The monarch does indeed no longer rule Brtitain yet the Queen still gives a speech every Christmas at 3pm, civil servants also get a public holiday on the day of the Queen's birthday and we still celebrate the Royal Wedding. The Royal Family will always be under the spotlight, if they wanted to then they could have stopped cameras from rolling while the said their marriage vows but they didn't and that was for a reason.
Since I don't belong to UK, I really don't know what is the importance of this Christmas speech. So sorry about that. True, the Royal family will be under spotlight, but sometimes, I think it's like going way over the top with them. Hmm..I didn't know Will & Kate had a choice, so sorry about that as well. 

Edited by .Doe. - 12 years ago
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Did someone mention security cameras in washrooms?! Say what!
In the UK you aren't allowed to keep cameras in washrooms because it's a huge invasion of privacy.

I actually have no problem with security cameras being used at my school or my corner shop..my main problem is infact the inefficiency of these CCTV cameras and maybe this fear arises because I used to live in an area with an extremely high crime rate.
A couple of years ago the head of the Metropolitan Police came to my college to ask for any witnesses to come forward about the death of a young boy who was on his way back from the cinemas. It was around 8pm and he was mugged and then stabbed to death by a group of boys who then ran away and drove off in their car. There were several CCTV cameras on the street yet the quality of these cameras are really bad! It was extremely difficult to make out the number plate of the car, let alone identify the faces of those that escaped. So why does the govt spend so much money on these so-called 'security' cameras if they're not doing their job properly?

In stores like Tesco (largest supermarket over here) they too use security cameras but obviously for their own purpose and they very rarely share those videos with members of the public.

Speaking of invasion of privacy..I'm sure most people here have heard of the 'google street view' feature. It pretty much shows the entire front and backyard of a house, including any parked cars at the time where the number plates can be seen too. :| Not too long ago some guy was caught via google street view entering a p**n shop. :P I'm guessing he wasn't too happy about that! Lol

Dia, Finally!  you hit the home run. :)
At the end of all this is the tax-payer money going down the drain!

Google's street view when posted did not even blur people's faces leading to the exposure of people's identity. There has been many lawsuits against Google with respect to invasion of privacy, and just recently the added feature 'Buzz' is on the same trail.

We are now left in the hands of technology to make such decisions for us. It's sad!

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
Apologies for the typing errors, that's what happens when I'm in a rush lol.
There's actually quite a few members on IF that I know who have created a FB account just for their IF friends..a couple of DT members have done that too. I'm way too lazy to handle two accounts and I'm a little too careful when it comes to IF members cos like mentioned above, some are really creepy and stalkerish.

Some members of DT stalking member's blogs and posting hate comments there. Not cool at all.
Oh, the Queen's speech is more of a symbolic thing lol. It's just a tradition where she speaks about recent events, world affairs and then shows off her poodles :P but it's sort of become a routine thing to do for a lot of people on Christmas day. :)
They're the Royal Family and I guess the wedding was so important because it was about showing the world what it means to be British. We don't have an Independence Day, Republic Day, Thanksgiving or any of that stuff..all we get is a bank holiday (national holiday)! Lol so that's why I think it was so important for the wedding to be broadcast and so the couple probably didn't get much of a say.

What film was it that gave the approximate number of times we're recorded on camera every day? I think it may have been one of the promos of 'love, sex aur dhoka'. I remember freaking out seeing that huge number.
Originally posted by angie.4u

</div>Most of the offices and shops under CCTV surveillance do have displays put up informing the public about the surveillance.
<div>
What irritates me most is the pesky unsolicited sms and tele marketing calls! I consider that as gross violation of my privacy. Phone tapping and shadowingsomeone would also constitute invasion of privacy. Unless done for security reasons that too after sufficient circumstantial evidence it needs to be curtailed.

I was on Internet and I saw an advert asking for some numbers to check if some things matched. I made a mistake n keyed my mobile no for fun. Next moment they threatened to auto bill me twice a week and there was no way I could stop it. Was some kind of cheating going on. So I had to ask the phone company to block these calls n reverse all charges.

This is dangerous. These days gotta be careful with personal info etc.
Especially Credit card nos., addresses, emails etc
Fraud in "Get Rich Quick Schemes" n Investments are rampant too.
Please Beware.