Invasion of Privacy? Ref: Pg 18

-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
There has been a continuous debate on if law enforcement cameras are invasion of privacy or do they provide a sense of security! Do we still have the right against the invasion of privacy by the government, corporations or individuals? Are the laws and constitutions still governing these privacy acts protecting us? What is the right to privacy?

I feel as though privacy is on a fence between freedom of speech and others which require public to disclose private information! Do we still have the right to be let alone!

Edited by -Aarya- - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Depends on where the "Cameras" are put. 😊
-Aarya- thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Doe.

Depends on where the "Cameras" are put. 😊

The camera.. to my Fav! subject...<lol>
There are 'surveillance' cameras everywhere, schools, banks, sidewalks, airports, office buildings,  washrooms, locker rooms, etc.. There is no limit under the laws which govern these facilities to put up cameras. Some think that having camera is great monitoring device to prevent criminal activities but I think it's an invasion of privacy.

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

I hate the traffic light cameras...damn got 2 time fine!😕
-Aarya- thumbnail
Originally posted by: Believe

<lol>... me too :)

This has been called the "Big Brother Tactics", by the government to raise revenue rather than provide road safety! So 'they' can claim that your money is going towards the right cause!

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
-Sookie- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: night13

I feel as though privacy is on a fence between freedom of speech and others which require public to disclose private information! Do we still have the right to be let alone!

I think you have somewhat answered the question in above few lines.

Except for lockers and washrooms, I guess most of the places where cameras are installed are fairly public right? I do not expect privacy in public places thus I do not see any harm in those places except for lockers and washrooms. Even though they are for public use, people who use it would definitely prefer it to be private about their business. But assuming (the worst) that one in five who uses that locker is a criminal, then entire private affair becomes a moot point, no?

I am more paranoid about misusing this information about public which is far more dangerous than disclosing it. Every ATM machine has a camera installed in front of it which totally freaks me out. I know that they are not aware of what we type and stuff, but still!

In the end its all about balance I guess.

S
MagixX thumbnail

The camera.. to my Fav! subject...<lol>
There are 'surveillance' cameras everywhere, schools, banks, sidewalks, airports, office buildings,  washrooms, locker rooms, etc.. There is no limit under the laws which govern these facilities to put up cameras. Some think that having camera is great monitoring device to prevent criminal activities but I think it's an invasion of privacy.

Ahh, okies. I get it. While cameras are needed in some of the above places like mentioned - Banks, schools, etc..I somehow cannot comprehend why are they in washrooms. That is taking it a bit too far, and yes, it's the invasion of privacy.

Recently too, as we saw in the Royal wedding, it is invasion of privacy. While I accept I enjoyed the wedding, at the same time, if I sit down and think, would I want my wedding to be broadcast that way, the answer would be no. Maybe it's because they are Royalty & stuff, I still cannot justify it. I enjoyed it though :P
And don't get me started on what cameras did to Diana, it is horrible. 🤢
Edited by .Doe. - 12 years ago
MagixX thumbnail
Originally posted by: Believe

These cameras are really funny though. They seem to capture my car even when it is at home. Advanced technology I guess. 😆
-Aarya- thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Sookie-

I think you have somewhat answered the question in above few lines.

Except for lockers and washrooms, I guess most of the places where cameras are installed are fairly public right? I do not expect privacy in public places thus I do not see any harm in those places except for lockers and washrooms. Even though they are for public use, people who use it would definitely prefer it to be private about their business. But assuming (the worst) that one in five who uses that locker is a criminal, then entire private affair becomes a moot point, no?

I am more paranoid about misusing this information about public which is far more dangerous than disclosing it. Every ATM machine has a camera installed in front of it which totally freaks me out. I know that they are not aware of what we type and stuff, but still!

In the end its all about balance I guess.

S

This was surely an unexpected surprise visit... though a good one! :)

Agree with you to some extend but not full, as I do mind being watched and that too without my knowledge.  The free society we trust  with freedom of movement, choice and self-reliance, thus is invaded and it gives a false sense of security.

With current state-of-art that technology offers to withdraw money from an ATM with simple scan of your eyes, and no bank cards are needed! To your point, it is pretty freaky. :)

-Sookie- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

This was surely an unexpected surprise visit... though a good one! :)

Agree with you to some extend but not full, as I do mind being watched and that too without my knowledge.  The free society we trust  with freedom of movement, choice and self-reliance, thus is invaded and it gives a false sense of security.

With current state-of-art that technology offers to withdraw money from an ATM with simple scan of your eyes, and no bank cards are needed! To your point, it is pretty freaky. :)

Night, true I agree everything about freedom, choice and self-reliance. But with the amount of stuff that happens around us, there has to be some amount of regulation which governs safety of the citizens.

(Please, lets not even start about ATMs. Who said its safe!)

Moving away from cameras, think about internet. Take India-Forums website for example. For every post we make there are these words written - "IP Logged". That pretty much gives out my location, my internet service provider and of course my IP!  How safe is it anyway!!!

I know that in the beginning it was to track everyone from pranksters to cyber criminals but now everyone is under the radar.

With cell phones, we have GPS to track.

So where is privacy anyway? We are watched, tracked and monitored.

All there is left, is a stamp of bar code or something on the base of our necks :-) (Remember Dark Angel?) 😳

S