stranger11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
i just wanted to know why Ammaji always says that we can't have onions or garlic in the kitchen. Isn't it a vegetarian produce.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

virgo24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hi there,

Good question! I was also curious but wanted to confirm my answer. So here it goes:

-Amba Ji and her family is Vaishnav Gujarati.
-In hinduism according to the Sanatana Dharma, foods have been categorized into 3 sects; Raajasic, Taamasic and Saatvic.
-The ones that are strict observers like the Gandhi's they avoid the first two sects of food. The reason being they stir desire and promote mental dullness. Therefore, Saatvic food is advised and preferred amongst these strict vegetarian's. 

The above information was extracted from the following link: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081102065120AAA9YE8

-What is Saatvic food you may ask? "Sattvic food is that which is pure, clean and wholesome. A sattvic diet is food that gives life, strength, energy, courage and self-determination. In other words, sattvic food gives us more than the gross physical requirements of the proper mix of proteins, carbs and fats etc. It also gives us the subtle nourishment necessary for vitality and consciousness. Food is seen as a carrier of the life force called prana and is judged by the quality of its prana and by the effect it has on our consciousness." This quote mentioned was referenced from the following website: http://www.yogachicago.com/jan05/diet.shtml.  Some examples are: Home made yogurt, organic milk, mangoes, mung beans, sprouts. . .

-In western societies we consider Garlic, almonds, banana oysters, chocolate, honey and etc foods as an aphrodisiac. Simply because research says they increase libido, produce sperm, increase hormones or release serotonin. It makes you happy, increases your chance of pregnancy or 'desire". . . <-- I think you can defer the meaning aphrodisiac now.

- If you take a look at Jainist, they are also strict vegetarian's (Varies from person to person and how strict one's beliefs and values are) Some food we would assume to be vegetarian is surprising not according to Jainist beliefs.. 

- Some believe that it promotes negative energy, also you bring upon bad karma

-In sum, there is not one type of vegetarian. If you look at the big picture, there are egg-tarians, fish-tarians, vegans and so on. All depends on what you believe and tolerate. 

I hope that helps answer your question.  I also would like to emphasize that I did not intend to offend anyone with all that I have mentioned. If I am wrong or stated a wrong fact, my sincerest of apologizes. Please feel free to correct me or expand on the written. 

Kind Regards,
Virgo
Edited by virgo24 - 12 years ago
virgo24 thumbnail
In addition to the above, while having a casual conversation with my parents I learned the following:

-Temples and Gurdwara's also have food restrictions such as Garlic and onions. In the olden times it was common. In today's time there are exceptions. 
-In ashrams they do not use such foods as well. I been to a few when I visited India. My parents are firm that today they still do not use such foods there. 
-If not all but certain Santh's , Guru's and Pandit's also follow strict food restrictions. That includes both Hindu and Sikh religions. 

Next time if we pay a visit to a Temple or Gurdwara we may take notice that they also do not serve certain foods. That would be interesting to know, huh? Also, it varies where you live. Whether you live outside of India or not?  It also depends on the folks and the degree of secularism present. 

Hey, if anyone wants to mention other facts then go ahead. It would be interesting to know what other religions observe if not the same but similar or your family in particular. :) 

Shas3 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: virgo24

Hi there,

Good question! I was also curious but wanted to confirm my answer. So here it goes:

-Amba Ji and her family is Vaishnav Gujarati.
-In hinduism according to the Sanatana Dharma, foods have been categorized into 3 sects; Raajasic, Taamasic and Saatvic.
-The ones that are strict observers like the Gandhi's they avoid the first two sects of food. The reason being they stir desire and promote mental dullness. Therefore, Saatvic food is advised and preferred amongst these strict vegetarian's. 

The above information was extracted from the following link: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081102065120AAA9YE8

-What is Saatvic food you may ask? "Sattvic food is that which is pure, clean and wholesome. A sattvic diet is food that gives life, strength, energy, courage and self-determination. In other words, sattvic food gives us more than the gross physical requirements of the proper mix of proteins, carbs and fats etc. It also gives us the subtle nourishment necessary for vitality and consciousness. Food is seen as a carrier of the life force called prana and is judged by the quality of its prana and by the effect it has on our consciousness." This quote mentioned was referenced from the following website: http://www.yogachicago.com/jan05/diet.shtml.  Some examples are: Home made yogurt, organic milk, mangoes, mung beans, sprouts. . .

-In western societies we consider Garlic, almonds, banana oysters, chocolate, honey and etc foods as an aphrodisiac. Simply because research says they increase libido, produce sperm, increase hormones or release serotonin. It makes you happy, increases your chance of pregnancy or 'desire". . . <-- I think you can defer the meaning aphrodisiac now.

- If you take a look at Jainist, they are also strict vegetarian's (Varies from person to person and how strict one's beliefs and values are) Some food we would assume to be vegetarian is surprising not according to Jainist beliefs.. 

- Some believe that it promotes negative energy, also you bring upon bad karma

-In sum, there is not one type of vegetarian. If you look at the big picture, there are egg-tarians, fish-tarians, vegans and so on. All depends on what you believe and tolerate. 

I hope that helps answer your question.  I also would like to emphasize that I did not intend to offend anyone with all that I have mentioned. If I am wrong or stated a wrong fact, my sincerest of apologizes. Please feel free to correct me or expand on the written. 

Kind Regards,
Virgo

very informative. thanks for sharing
saraharshad thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
ohh god...searching from sites...too good yar
April2007 thumbnail
Originally posted by: virgo24

In addition to the above, while having a casual conversation with my parents I learned the following:

-Temples and Gurdwara's also have food restrictions such as Garlic and onions. In the olden times it was common. In today's time there are exceptions. 
-In ashrams they do not use such foods as well. I been to a few when I visited India. My parents are firm that today they still do not use such foods there. 
-If not all but certain Santh's , Guru's and Pandit's also follow strict food restrictions. That includes both Hindu and Sikh religions. 

Next time if we pay a visit to a Temple or Gurdwara we may take notice that they also do not serve certain foods. That would be interesting to know, huh? Also, it varies where you live. Whether you live outside of India or not?  It also depends on the folks and the degree of secularism present. 

Hey, if anyone wants to mention other facts then go ahead. It would be interesting to know what other religions observe if not the same but similar or your family in particular. :) 

Gurdawars don't serve non-veg, every thing else is serve including garlic and onions, they both are very beneficial for health.

I have never seen food served in temples in India with exception of prasad. In west temples serve everything vegitarian.

The reason strict vegetarian don't use onions and garlic is because they associate these vegetables with cooking of meat.
Edited by April2007 - 12 years ago
virgo24 thumbnail

You are right April2007 , neither Gurdwaras or Temples serve non-veg. I live in Canada. I been to temples here where they serve food. Here only some serve onions and garlic while others don't.  Although I find it alarming when I see a nice peaceful temple, and then someone comes ahead and builds a burger shop right in front of it. And now I may say something silly. . . maybe the prayers will bring salvation to those poor animals being served. I don't know. :(

Anyways,  that is a nice fact-- "The reason strict vegetarian don't use onions and garlic is because they associate these vegetables with cooking of meat." I did not think of it that way.