Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Will Salman Khan soon be the #1 actor in Bollywood (Page 6)

Mages IF-Addictz
Mages
Mages

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheDilettante

Dexter & Ladygaga: I'm no fan of Rajnikanth and I don't get his antics though I enjoy those Chuck Norris style twitter jokes. Do read this piece by Grady Hendrix for Slate http://www.slate.com/id/2267820/. It was plagiarized on India Today for which Aroon Purie (Koel Purie's father) apologized.

Rajnikanth has cult following in Japan. His one film grossed so much that he topped Leonardo DiCaprio as Japan's trendiest heartthrob. LOL And from this article "...and became a cult hit in Germany under the title Der Geisterjger."

He is a star since the 60s, I believe, and captivating audience beyond decades is a Star Power. It's unmatched.

and yes that film is called Muthu...i love that film it stars rajini and meena...they are known as anil-madhuri jodi of the south...they make huge huge blockbusters together...Yejaman..Veera...Muthu...and various more all are huge blockbusters around the whole world...Muthu was the first ever indian film aired in japan...till now no hindi movies or other tamil movies have been aired in japan...no aamir...srk...salman movies aired in japan...only rajini movies are aired in japan...

gilmores IF-Stunnerz
gilmores
gilmores

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ladygaga

Originally posted by chocolover89

^^ I think Aamir is bigger superstar than Rajini.. Rajini has star power.. aamir has script power...
That is true IMHO..simply because I think Aamir has a more universal appeal than Rajni does. Rajni's massive blockbusters are confined more to the South India while Aamir's movies do well throughout India and overseas.

On topic: Salman is a STAR imo..not an actor. I don't think much of him as an actor but his star power id noteworthy.

Yes and Aamir is also the only (??) popular superstar who has been able to take his movie to the oscars... the oscar nominated lagaan also elevates his appeal... He has mass popularity, he offers quality, he takes risks.. while other superstars just depend on their jalwa.. style and adaas.. and their movies just attract their fan boys and fan girls.
Well John also took his movie to the Oscars but it was not India's official entry...and he isn't a superstar either..

Aamir is synonymous with good scripts that carry mass appeal nowadays..entertaining and yet at the same time you don't really have to shut off your brain. I think barring Dhobi Ghat and Ghajini, I have liked all his movies in the last 5 years or so..

Mages..is that so? Well my comments are based more on Robot (which only did average business) and how people around me react to Rajni movies..which well they don't. I didn't see huge lines for Endhiran/Robot where I live (and I'm not that far off from this completely desi place LOL), yet I saw massive lines for RNMDJ, Ghajini, Dostana and the likes..

Edited by chocolover89 - 08 May 2011 at 7:10pm
TheDilettante IF-Rockerz

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
ladygaga IF-Dazzler
ladygaga
ladygaga

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged
Choco.. i said superstar coz specially for a superstar it is hard to strike a balance between making movies which work for the masses, critics and might even end up competing at international level. Very few superstars get to do that... lagaan did work on many levels.. box office, desi critical acclaim, international critical acclaim.. oscar nominated.. it was a good combo of everything.. after that aamir started chasing the oscar dream.. but it didn't happen.. now he is back to masala cinema again.
Mages IF-Addictz
Mages
Mages

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged

^^ I think Aamir is bigger superstar than Rajini.. Rajini has star power.. aamir has script power...
That is true IMHO..simply because I think Aamir has a more universal appeal than Rajni does. Rajni's massive blockbusters are confined more to the South India while Aamir's movies do well throughout India and overseas.

On topic: Salman is a STAR imo..not an actor. I don't think much of him as an actor but his star power id noteworthy.

Yes and Aamir is also the only (??) popular superstar who has been able to take his movie to the oscars... the oscar nominated lagaan also elevates his appeal... He has mass popularity, he offers quality, he takes risks.. while other superstars just depend on their jalwa.. style and adaas.. and their movies just attract their fan boys and fan girls.
Well John also took his movie to the Oscars but it was not India's official entry...and he isn't a superstar either..

Aamir is synonymous with good scripts that carry mass appeal nowadays..entertaining and yet at the same time you don't really have to shut off your brain. I think barring Dhobi Ghat and Ghajini, I have liked all his movies in the last 5 years or so..

i love aamir's 90s era films...more than this era...because some of his movies...i could notice that age is catching up on him...3 idiots never convince me of his younger age...because we all know in his younger days...he look way too handsome for his age...

infact i love all 3 Khans 90s era films...whether its Salman...Aamir...Srk...i love their 90s era days...they were young and paired with leading ladies according to their ages...perfect match of chemistry...whether its with SriDevi...Madhuri...Juhi...Raveena...Manisha..Karishma...Late Divya Bharti...Kajol all A1 list of leading ladies...who knows the A to Z of acting...dancing...expressions...and these 3 Khans...looks ravishing with them...perfect scripts and concepts with less special effects...

nowadays the films they do...don't even suit their ages...nor their the leading ladies suits them...they look like uncles to the leading ladies...i can't even connect chemistry with them...though salman looks great with all his leading ladies...but age does shows up at his face at times...so does srk...so does aamir...nowadays they don't look good...and  at times their tireness are shown in their faces no matter how much they hide it...Aamir...Salman...SRK are rulers of bollywood...but its also the fact that age is catching on them...and its seen on their faces...

but i do agree...Aamir has perfect sense of scripts and his films are enjoyable...
Mages IF-Addictz
Mages
Mages

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:19pm | IP Logged

Mages..is that so? Well my comments are based more on Robot (which only did average business) and how people around me react to Rajni movies..which well they don't. I didn't see huge lines for Endhiran/Robot where I live (and I'm not that far off from this completely desi place LOL), yet I saw massive lines for RNMDJ, Ghajini, Dostana and the likes..

Robo/Enthiran is nothing infront of his huge massive blockbusters of his era...arrey yaar i am a huge huge fan of rajini...i am a fan of him since 5 years old of my age...the day...the first time i saw Yejaman...one of his blockbuster...all his films are biggest blockbusters...Robo is just one of it...dubbed film always doesn't work...the original version in tamil is a huge blockbuster...

ladygaga IF-Dazzler
ladygaga
ladygaga

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged
Maya i am not denying rajini's star power... just like Ash is called the most beautiful woman in the world, srk has crazy german fans, i used to hear  this thing about srk being the biggest superstar in the whole world again and again.. his movies used to open very hugely in UK box office.. but have any of these people acheived constant and consistent success in oveseas markets.. maybe one or two of their movies have done well.. but do they enjoy recognition at the level of a hollywood star.. or do their movies score as high as even an average hollywood movie.. i don't think soo.. most of these so called superstar's appeal is fairly limited.. specially in terms of other international stars...and their movies fail to get international recogniton also...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

TheDilettante

Mages IF-Addictz
Mages
Mages

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged

Choco.. i said superstar coz specially for a superstar it is hard to strike a balance between making movies which work for the masses, critics and might even end up competing at international level. Very few superstars get to do that... lagaan did work on many levels.. box office, desi critical acclaim, international critical acclaim.. oscar nominated.. it was a good combo of everything.. after that aamir started chasing the oscar dream.. but it didn't happen.. now he is back to masala cinema again.

i slept through lagaan in the theatre and my friends woke me up...LOLLOLLOL...i don't find the movie interesting...aamir was the only one to watch...there was no chemistry between him and his leading ladies in the film...neither with the europeon one or gracy singh...the songs were good...but no chemistry ruins it all for me...only aamir worth watching...i am not fond of the script too...it mainly about cricket...i love aamir movies...never misses them..but for this i slept through halfway...just like i did for Dil To Pagal Hai...

i don't know why...i intend to sleep at Ashutosh's flicks...even JA...i couldn't sit through for a while...it was way too boring for me...but i liked swades...

Go to top