Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

India-Forums

Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee
Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

What is Geet and Maan's religion suppose to be! (Page 6)

drdee142 IF-Rockerz
drdee142
drdee142

Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:16pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Originally posted by Priyalovex3

I hate when CV's mix up religions!
I get why Maan and Geet did their wedding by the hindu rituals because serials are not allowed to do a sikh wedding. I mean if they know they can't do that, just make geet and maan hindu.
But as you can see Geet's family is sikh. Her massi and Tej both wear khandas but yet they are celebrating karva chauth. Sikhs do not celebrate karva chauth! Also Geet wears sindoor and a mangalsutra( which sikhs don't) In the previous episodes you see Dev with a ek onkar symbol in his car. But you see maan at the muslim temple in 2 or so episodes. Another thing is if Maan is suppose to play a sardar , why is he wearing the Om necklace. Also you see Geet praying to Guru Nanak Devji and in one episode she said "she went to the mandhir"'
In the beginning of the show we see maan and geet praying in the golden temple, but in the dhawali episode she was aarti. Sikhs do celebrate dhawali but they don't do Aarti.
Finally in the holy episode, after she gets mad at maan and leaves she goes to the gurdwara(Sikh temple). SIkh don't celebrate holy btw they celebrate hola mohalla
I mean why do CV's do that!!
they just mix religions together and make people think it is one religion.
They should just stick to one religion!
No need to mix all the religions and confuse us 

but what religion r they like mostly

i am not saying only this show does, a lot of shows do

Sikh weddings are not allowed to be shown? Erm, since when? I don't remember reading any rule about how it's not allowed or even any article about it. I know a lot of Hindu Punjabis that also wear the Sikh Kara on their wrist, it's because they are often brought up in a mixed background. Similarly, I know many Sikhs that celebrate Karvachauth and fast for their husband on this day. So what if Maan went to the 'Muslim temple'? In India there are so many Hindus that go and visit Ajmer Dargah in Rajasthan and at the same time there are many people from many different faiths that visit Siddhi Vinayak (Lord Ganesha temple in Mumbai). It doesn't mean that they don't follow their own religion.

Speaking from personal experience, despite coming from a Hindu background I still go to the Gurdwara and many elders in my family own a Khanda necklace.SmileI would also LOVE to go to the Golden Temple some day! There are many similarities between Hinduism and Sikhism and I think you'll find that a lot of Hindu Punjabis and Sikh Punjabis get along really well, and so there are some elements taken from both religions.

I think you're being a little narrow-minded and I honestly don't mean that as an insult or personal attack but if we all stuck to our culture and traditions then what fun would that be? I mean are you seriously trying to tell me that the only people to play Holi with colours in India are Hindus? If you seriously think that then please pay a visit to Mumbai some time and you will see Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Jains, Christians etc all celebrating this festival. It's like saying Christians aren't allowed to light up fireworks on Diwali because it isn't part of their culture or tradition.

I don't mind the mixing up of religions because honestly that is exactly what modern day India is all about. I celebrate Diwali and I also celebrate Vaisakhi by going to the temple, does that mean I am not a true Hindu? :\

Well said, we should be glad that they are respecting all the religions and traditions, instead of talking of segregation

I'm a catholic but I celebrate all the festivals my hindu, muslim and sikh friends do and so do they. We take part in each others traditions and rituals and festivals with full faith and I don't think that means that we are not following our religion faithfully.

In fact for Diwali me and my muslim friend are the ones that make the rangoli in all our friends houses & I too have visited several temples and dargas.

That's the best part of India and being Indian, we have so many religions and cultures yet we are all one, it's a perfect "Unity in Diversity" example and that's why I always say India is the bestSmile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

bvs7691jazzerettePreethi-Premi

jazzerette IF-Dazzler
jazzerette
jazzerette

Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:58pm | IP Logged
Just to clarify the point about showing Sikh weddings on TV, there is no such restriction. I come from a family of Gianis and Granthis, I can say this with conviction. 

As for the thought that it may cause disrespect to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, disrespect stems from malicious intentions. Bona fide actions will not cause disrespect. If a Gurudwara Sahib has given the permission to shoot a marriage sequence in their premises, they have done so with full consideration of the maryada of Babaji's abode. 

At the end of the day, it just a show. Why get into the nitty-gritties of it. Even if others get a mixed view about Sikhism by watching a show, it does not affect my faith, right? Religion, community, etc are very strong institutions in our country. Mere TV show is no threat to them.

Edited by jazzerette - 09 May 2011 at 10:57pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

bvs7691Preethi-Premidrdee142Real.Madrid

noorsand Goldie
noorsand
noorsand

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:29am | IP Logged
According to what I gathered from this show, Geet is a punjabi Hindu especially evident from the way Darji wears his pagri(turban), but she is a firm believer in Guru Nanak Dev ji.
As for Maan, he is also a punjabi Hindu who is just in guise of driver Balwant Singh and therefore might have forgotten to remove the Om necklace.
As for Karva Chauth it has become more like a festival than as a tradition and I have seen many non-hindu women observing it.
Being a Sikh myself, I don't think the CVs are doing anything wrong since one of  the guiding principle of Sikhism is tolerance of other religions.
BTW well said everyoneClap

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

bvs7691jazzerette

mistyi Goldie
mistyi
mistyi

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 2:06am | IP Logged
Well first of all I love it how the cv's have shown geet and maan respecting all religions from Christianity to Hinduism. I am a hindu/punjabi myself but I myself go to the church and mosque as well sometimes. And the CV's aern't mixing up religions by making maan wear the om symbol. The om taveez was given to maan by geet as a symbol of her love and the cv's making him take off the taveez just because they don't want to mix up religions is stupid.

And the thing about people who are "new to the religion and might think some religion is something else" well they are ignorant people and who cares about them?

Edited by mistyi - 10 May 2011 at 2:06am
*~*Mehek*~* Goldie
*~*Mehek*~*
*~*Mehek*~*

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:36am | IP Logged

was thinking the same, but dont know much about hindu and sikhs religions..

Murlal Senior Member
Murlal
Murlal

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Originally posted by Priyalovex3

I hate when CV's mix up religions!
I get why Maan and Geet did their wedding by the hindu rituals because serials are not allowed to do a sikh wedding. I mean if they know they can't do that, just make geet and maan hindu.
But as you can see Geet's family is sikh. Her massi and Tej both wear khandas but yet they are celebrating karva chauth. Sikhs do not celebrate karva chauth! Also Geet wears sindoor and a mangalsutra( which sikhs don't) In the previous episodes you see Dev with a ek onkar symbol in his car. But you see maan at the muslim temple in 2 or so episodes. Another thing is if Maan is suppose to play a sardar , why is he wearing the Om necklace. Also you see Geet praying to Guru Nanak Devji and in one episode she said "she went to the mandhir"'
In the beginning of the show we see maan and geet praying in the golden temple, but in the dhawali episode she was aarti. Sikhs do celebrate dhawali but they don't do Aarti.
Finally in the holy episode, after she gets mad at maan and leaves she goes to the gurdwara(Sikh temple). SIkh don't celebrate holy btw they celebrate hola mohalla
I mean why do CV's do that!!
they just mix religions together and make people think it is one religion.
They should just stick to one religion!
No need to mix all the religions and confuse us

but what religion r they like mostly

i am not saying only this show does, a lot of shows do

Sikh weddings are not allowed to be shown? Erm, since when? I don't remember reading any rule about how it's not allowed or even any article about it. I know a lot of Hindu Punjabis that also wear the Sikh Kara on their wrist, it's because they are often brought up in a mixed background. Similarly, I know many Sikhs that celebrate Karvachauth and fast for their husband on this day. So what if Maan went to the 'Muslim temple'? In India there are so many Hindus that go and visit Ajmer Dargah in Rajasthan and at the same time there are many people from many different faiths that visit Siddhi Vinayak (Lord Ganesha temple in Mumbai). It doesn't mean that they don't follow their own religion.

Speaking from personal experience, despite coming from a Hindu background I still go to the Gurdwara and many elders in my family own a Khanda necklace.SmileI would also LOVE to go to the Golden Temple some day! There are many similarities between Hinduism and Sikhism and I think you'll find that a lot of Hindu Punjabis and Sikh Punjabis get along really well, and so there are some elements taken from both religions.

I think you're being a little narrow-minded and I honestly don't mean that as an insult or personal attack but if we all stuck to our culture and traditions then what fun would that be? I mean are you seriously trying to tell me that the only people to play Holi with colours in India are Hindus? If you seriously think that then please pay a visit to Mumbai some time and you will see Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Jains, Christians etc all celebrating this festival. It's like saying Christians aren't allowed to light up fireworks on Diwali because it isn't part of their culture or tradition.

I don't mind the mixing up of religions because honestly that is exactly what modern day India is all about. I celebrate Diwali and I also celebrate Vaisakhi by going to the temple, does that mean I am not a true Hindu? :\

Excellent point, hindu4lyf, really well said. Thanks for standing up for such values.
anirka IF-Dazzler
anirka
anirka

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 4:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by gurinderxbaby

I get what you mean and i get what the other side means too
i understand both Point of views
I agree every religion should be respected 
but i am a sikh myself and i feel offended that the Cvs mixed up the religion i mean what about if it is a newcomer to this show and they are not hindu/sikh , they will think sikhs and hindus are the same even thought we have differences
and to those who think sikhs celebrate karva chauth we actually don't it is against our religion and we are only allowed to bow down to the guru granth sahibji. Sikhs who do celebrate kaurva chauth while that is against. The pure/true sikhs(amritdhari) don't bow to anything else or celebrate other religion celebrations. and yeah it is a rule that shows can't do a sikh wedding.
I know many sikhs that are also offended. You guys might say it is just a serial but it has a huge influence 
Why do u think many sikhs celebrate Karva Chauth? cause Indian serials portray sikhs celebrate it.

I know many people at my school who are sikhs and the ones who watch geet are offended that maan is portraying a sardar and wearing a om necklace. Many people will think sikh's believe in the Om sign. It is offensive. I know many wont understand me but i am just saying there are many people who find mixing up the religions offensive. 

I respect other peoples religions but i stay pure to mine.

I come from sikh family and married in hindu family.
some Sikhs do celebrate karva chauth. as u mention that cause for sikhs to celebrate KC is serials portraying same, i dont agree to this point. My grandmother (dadi), who is also sikh, do celebrates KC. I dont think that at time of her marriage to my dadaji there were any serials portraying same. serials do influence society, but they are also influenced from society.

Regarding geet being sikh, i dont think she was portrayed sikh even from start of the serial. her father's name was mohindar lal handa. not mohinder singh handa. so here the religion of geet is not messed up. she is still hindu and hindus in punjab are influenced by sikhism. so they do believe in gurudwara and visit.

And at last, let me bring to ur kind knowledge that Golden Temple, Darbar Sahib, has four doors for its visitors from all religions.

Edited by anirka - 10 May 2011 at 4:39am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

bvs7691jazzerette

Mehek25 IF-Sizzlerz
Mehek25
Mehek25

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 5:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Chelsha

Oh dear i can understand what you say. But there are so many wars going around the world in the name of religions. Atleast in the serials they show the tolerance for other faith and religious harmony. Lets appreciate the CVs for that dear. This is only my point of view and i dont mean it to hurt you dear.
I agree with u whole-heartedly...don't wanna start a war here in the name of religion...as it is there is too much of it in the real world...let's enjoy all the festivals on TV...i am neither a Hindu nor Muslim but I respect all religions and enjoy all the festivals...so let's join Maneet in all their celebrations...whether it is Holi, Karvachauth, diwali, or ant other festival...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

bvs7691

Go to top