Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

India-Forums

Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee
Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

What is Geet and Maan's religion suppose to be! (Page 3)

gurinderxbaby Newbie
gurinderxbaby
gurinderxbaby

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Priyalovex3

Originally posted by gurinderxbaby

I get what you mean and i get what the other side means too
i understand both Point of views
I agree every religion should be respected 
but i am a sikh myself and i feel offended that the Cvs mixed up the religion i mean what about if it is a newcomer to this show and they are not hindu/sikh , they will think sikhs and hindus are the same even thought we have differences
and to those who think sikhs celebrate karva chauth we actually don't it is against our religion and we are only allowed to bow down to the guru granth sahibji. Sikhs who do celebrate kaurva chauth while that is against. The pure/true sikhs(amritdhari) don't bow to anything else or celebrate other religion celebrations. and yeah it is a rule that shows can't do a sikh wedding.
I know many sikhs that are also offended. You guys might say it is just a serial but it has a huge influence 
Why do u think many sikhs celebrate Karva Chauth? cause Indian serials portray sikhs celebrate it.

I know many people at my school who are sikhs and the ones who watch geet are offended that maan is portraying a sardar and wearing a om necklace. It is offensive. I know many wont understand me but i am just saying there are many people who find mixing up the religions offensive. 

I respect other peoples religions but i stay pure to mine.

Even though i am not sikh i understand your feelings. I know how i would feel if the media portrayed my religion as something else.

Thanks for understanding 

gurinderxbaby Newbie
gurinderxbaby
gurinderxbaby

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Duttamann80

Religious is about Love and respect ...

Being a Sikh my self i do agree with you onthis point .As i have  notices all serial start of been with one faith and end up with a aother faith . But if you say that the girl is a sikh why cant cv stick to that ...

agreed i am sikh myself and i know many sikhs find it offensive how they portray the sikh religion 
gurinderxbaby Newbie
gurinderxbaby
gurinderxbaby

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by jazz07_dh

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

I hate when CV's mix up religions!
I get why Maan and Geet did their wedding by the hindu ritualsbecauseserials are not allowed to do a sikh wedding. I mean if they know they can't do that, just make geet and maan hindu.
But as you can see Geet's family is sikh. Her massi and Tej both wear khandas but yet they are celebratingkarva chauth. Sikhs do not celebrate<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">karva chauth! Also Geet wears sindoor and amangalsutra( which sikhs don't) In the previous episodes you see Dev with a ek onkar symbol in his car. But you see maan at the muslim temple in 2 or so episodes. Another thing is if Maan is suppose toplaya sardar , why is he wearing the Om necklace. Also you see Geet praying to Guru Nanak Devji and in one episode she said "she went to the mandhir"'</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">In the beginning of the show we see maan and geetprayingin the golden temple, but in the dhawali episode she was aarti. Sikhs do celebrate dhawali but they don't do Aarti.</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">Finally in the holy episode, after she gets mad at maan and leaves she goes to the gurdwara(Sikh temple). SIkh don't celebrate holy btw they celebratehola
mohalla</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">I mean why do CV's do that!!</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">they just mix religions together and make people think it is one religion.</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">They should just stick to one religion!</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">No need to mix all the religions andconfuseus</font>

but what religion r they like mostly

i am not saying only this show does, a lot of shows do

Sikh weddings are not allowed to be shown? Erm, since when? I don't remember reading any rule about how it's not allowed or even any article about it. I know a lot of Hindu Punjabis that also wear the Sikh Kara on their wrist, it's because they are often brought up in a mixed background.Similarly, I know many Sikhs that celebrate Karvachauth and fast for their husband on this day. So what if Maan went to the 'Muslim temple'? In India there are so many Hindus that go and visit Ajmet Dargah in Rajasthan and at the same time there are many people from many different faiths that visit Siddhi Vinayak (Lord Ganesha temple in Mumbai). It doesn't mean that they don't follow their own religion.

Speaking from personal experience, despite coming from a Hindu background I still go to the Gurdwara and many elders in my family own a Khanda necklace.SmileI would also LOVE to go to the Golden Temple some day! There are many similarities between Hinduism and Sikhism and I think you'll find that a lot of Hindu Punjabis and Sikh Punjabis get along really well, and so there are some elements taken from both religions.

I think you're being a little narrow-minded and I honestly don't mean that as an insult or personal attack but if we all stuck to our culture and traditions then what fun would that be? I mean are you seriously trying to tell me that the only people to play Holi with colours in India are Hindus? If you seriously think that then please pay a visit to Mumbai some time and you will see Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Jains, Christians etc all celebrating this festival. It's like saying Christians aren't allowed to light up fireworks on Diwali because it isn't part of their culture or tradition.

I don't mind the mixing up of religions because honestly that is exactly what modern day India is all about. I celebrate Diwali and I also celebrate Vaisakhi by going to the temple, does that mean I am not a true Hindu? :\

I really liked ur response. Very well said. Even I was thinking the same way. This post is so racist. I don't know y ppl can't just leave other people alone. So way if they r showing more than 1 religion? I think that signifies that they believe in God as a whole n wants every person of diff religion to relate to geet n maan. That's all. I wonder if priyalovex3 sees sm Hindu in a gurudwara or sm Sikh in a temple, is he gonna ask them to leave that place bcoz they belong to that religion. Just curious. Hahaha

There is nothing wrong with going to other people's temples and showing other religions in the show but i get what she means.  by mixing up the religions people think the sikh religion is something else(especially to non hindu/sikhs). They will think sikhs believe in the symbol Om just cause Maan is wearing the necklace and at the same time he is portraying a sardar 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Duttamann80

Giraffidae IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

DGill28bvs7691Preethi-PremiMaya_Prahmona_paksweRiMa_972Infinitedreams

DGill28 Senior Member
DGill28
DGill28

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged
Being a sikh myself and coming from a sikh punjabi family, I agree that if they are going to show Maan-Geet as Sikh's then they should respect all aspects of our religion. However, Maan & Geet aren't amritdhari and both of them have their hair cut as well. There are sikhs in the world that do have their hair cut, get their eyebrows done, etc but still believe/follow in sikhism. In fact, I have people in my family girls/guys that half of them have their hair cut while the other half do not. Yet no one goes to them and says "Oh, you have your hair cut so you're not sikh". I've gone to a mandir before, but it doesn't mean I'm hindu. I have an aunt that celebrates Karva chauth, but she's still sikh. I have family members in punjab that celebrate holi, diwali, etc, but they're still sikhs. 

This show isn't about religion and it is okay if some mistakes are made. During ardas, we ask for forgiveness for our mistakes, because human's make mistakes and we're not perfect that we won't make them. All i'm saying is that we're looking too deeply into this "religion" aspect of the show. I think we should leave "religion" alone in this show before a controversial situation arises and causes rifts between people of other faiths. They are not confusing these religions intentionally and honestly speaking...GHSP is a huge production and the crew has to look into a lot of things...i'm sure that they do try to keep things as close to the religion they are trying to portray as possible, but it's hard to look into each aspect. If some sikhs are offended today, then if GHSP shows another religion, then people of that faith will be offended. In the end, someone is going to get offended and problems are going to arise. Maybe we can be the bigger people and keep the peace here?

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

--Kesh--jazzerettehindu4lyfPreethi-Premi

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by gurinderxbaby

Originally posted by jazz07_dh

I hate when CV's mix up religions!
I get why Maan and Geet did their wedding by the hindu ritualsbecauseserials are not allowed to do a sikh wedding. I mean if they know they can't do that, just make geet and maan hindu.
But as you can see Geet's family is sikh. Her massi and Tej both wear khandas but yet they are celebratingkarva chauth. Sikhs do not celebrate<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">karva chauth! Also Geet wears sindoor and amangalsutra( which sikhs don't) In the previous episodes you see Dev with a ek onkar symbol in his car. But you see maan at the muslim temple in 2 or so episodes. Another thing is if Maan is suppose toplaya sardar , why is he wearing the Om necklace. Also you see Geet praying to Guru Nanak Devji and in one episode she said "she went to the mandhir"'</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">In the beginning of the show we see maan and geetprayingin the golden temple, but in the dhawali episode she was aarti. Sikhs do celebrate dhawali but they don't do Aarti.</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">Finally in the holy episode, after she gets mad at maan and leaves she goes to the gurdwara(Sikh temple). SIkh don't celebrate holy btw they celebratehola
mohalla</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">I mean why do CV's do that!!</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">they just mix religions together and make people think it is one religion.</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">They should just stick to one religion!</font>
<font color="#333333" face="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif">No need to mix all the religions andconfuseus</font>

but what religion r they like mostly

i am not saying only this show does, a lot of shows do

Sikh weddings are not allowed to be shown? Erm, since when? I don't remember reading any rule about how it's not allowed or even any article about it. I know a lot of Hindu Punjabis that also wear the Sikh Kara on their wrist, it's because they are often brought up in a mixed background.Similarly, I know many Sikhs that celebrate Karvachauth and fast for their husband on this day. So what if Maan went to the 'Muslim temple'? In India there are so many Hindus that go and visit Ajmet Dargah in Rajasthan and at the same time there are many people from many different faiths that visit Siddhi Vinayak (Lord Ganesha temple in Mumbai). It doesn't mean that they don't follow their own religion.

Speaking from personal experience, despite coming from a Hindu background I still go to the Gurdwara and many elders in my family own a Khanda necklace.SmileI would also LOVE to go to the Golden Temple some day! There are many similarities between Hinduism and Sikhism and I think you'll find that a lot of Hindu Punjabis and Sikh Punjabis get along really well, and so there are some elements taken from both religions.

I think you're being a little narrow-minded and I honestly don't mean that as an insult or personal attack but if we all stuck to our culture and traditions then what fun would that be? I mean are you seriously trying to tell me that the only people to play Holi with colours in India are Hindus? If you seriously think that then please pay a visit to Mumbai some time and you will see Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Jains, Christians etc all celebrating this festival. It's like saying Christians aren't allowed to light up fireworks on Diwali because it isn't part of their culture or tradition.

I don't mind the mixing up of religions because honestly that is exactly what modern day India is all about. I celebrate Diwali and I also celebrate Vaisakhi by going to the temple, does that mean I am not a true Hindu? :\

I really liked ur response. Very well said. Even I was thinking the same way. This post is so racist. I don't know y ppl can't just leave other people alone. So way if they r showing more than 1 religion? I think that signifies that they believe in God as a whole n wants every person of diff religion to relate to geet n maan. That's all. I wonder if priyalovex3 sees sm Hindu in a gurudwara or sm Sikh in a temple, is he gonna ask them to leave that place bcoz they belong to that religion. Just curious. Hahaha

There is nothing wrong with going to other people's temples and showing other religions in the show but i get what she means.  by mixing up the religions people think the sikh religion is something else(especially to non hindu/sikhs). They will think sikhs believe in the symbol Om just cause Maan is wearing the necklace and at the same time he is portraying a sardar 

I'm sorry but your reasoning does not seem logical to me.
Just because I am a Hindu it doesn't mean I will refuse to eat the Karah Prasad offered to me in the Gurdwara now will I? I'm not sure about the way you've been brought up but personally for us it is perfectly acceptable to wear the Khanda if you are a Hindu. Btw do you know the meaning of the word Aum? Yes, it is something that is often related to the Hindu religion but please look up the real meaning of the word. (there are over 100 meanings by the way)

Just because Osama Bin Laden is a terrorist, doesn't mean the whole world thinks Muslims are all terrorists right? If people really have a little bit of common sense and something called logic in them then they will do a bit of research and not take things at face value instead of jumping to conclusions.Smile

By the way the majority of the audience that watch this show live in India and I'd be extremely shocked if they did not know the difference between Hindus and Sikhs. But why are we speaking about differences anyway? Shouldn't we be concentrating on what binds us all together instead?

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

DGill28--Kesh--jazzerettedesigirl_18rahmona_pakswe

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged
Can someone please explain to me what 'rule' there is that says Sikh weddings cannot be shown on TV? Is this 'rule' written down somewhere in black and white?

If anything, I think it's a great idea to show the world a bit of our culture. Like I said, NOTHING should be taken at face value but what harm could it possibly do to portray our culture and traditions? I have quite a few Sikh relatives that have married in to our family and so I know that the weddings are beautiful! Spread love, not hate guys. :)
DGill28 Senior Member
DGill28
DGill28

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:40pm | IP Logged

Can someone please explain to me what 'rule' there is that says Sikh weddings cannot be shown on TV? Is this 'rule' written down somewhere in black and white?

If anything, I think it's a great idea to show the world a bit of our culture. Like I said, NOTHING should be taken at face value but what harm could it possibly do to portray our culture and traditions? I have quite a few Sikh relatives that have married in to our family and so I know that the weddings are beautiful! Spread love, not hate guys. :)

I'm not sure if there is a rule about not showing sikh weddings on tv, but I do think this is something that may cause a bigger problem within our community (sikh community). I'm all for showing sikh weddings in shows, but in the long run they'll be showing a "fake" wedding using the Guru Granth Sahib Ji and that is in a way disrespecting it. They'll be intentionally disrespecting it and that is a bigger problem than showing a Sardar wearing an "om" sign or a sikh with their hair cut. I'm definitely against disrespecting the Guru Granth Sahib, but I don't mind that they show all other aspects & traditions of a sikh wedding.

Actually, I think they've shown "fake" sikh marriages in Punjabi/Hindi movies so i'm not really sure what the problem is exactly. Maybe a different rule for television? Confused

Society and it's rules can be so confusing & problematic sometimes. Life would be so much easier without the constant judging

Edited by DGill28 - 08 May 2011 at 6:41pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

Go to top