Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DGill28 thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Being a sikh myself and coming from a sikh punjabi family, I agree that if they are going to show Maan-Geet as Sikh's then they should respect all aspects of our religion. However, Maan & Geet aren't amritdhari and both of them have their hair cut as well. There are sikhs in the world that do have their hair cut, get their eyebrows done, etc but still believe/follow in sikhism. In fact, I have people in my family girls/guys that half of them have their hair cut while the other half do not. Yet no one goes to them and says "Oh, you have your hair cut so you're not sikh". I've gone to a mandir before, but it doesn't mean I'm hindu. I have an aunt that celebrates Karva chauth, but she's still sikh. I have family members in punjab that celebrate holi, diwali, etc, but they're still sikhs. 

This show isn't about religion and it is okay if some mistakes are made. During ardas, we ask for forgiveness for our mistakes, because human's make mistakes and we're not perfect that we won't make them. All i'm saying is that we're looking too deeply into this "religion" aspect of the show. I think we should leave "religion" alone in this show before a controversial situation arises and causes rifts between people of other faiths. They are not confusing these religions intentionally and honestly speaking...GHSP is a huge production and the crew has to look into a lot of things...i'm sure that they do try to keep things as close to the religion they are trying to portray as possible, but it's hard to look into each aspect. If some sikhs are offended today, then if GHSP shows another religion, then people of that faith will be offended. In the end, someone is going to get offended and problems are going to arise. Maybe we can be the bigger people and keep the peace here?
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: gurinderxbaby

There is nothing wrong with going to other people's temples and showing other religions in the show but i get what she means.  by mixing up the religions people think the sikh religion is something else(especially to non hindu/sikhs). They will think sikhs believe in the symbol Om just cause Maan is wearing the necklace and at the same time he is portraying a sardar 

I'm sorry but your reasoning does not seem logical to me.
Just because I am a Hindu it doesn't mean I will refuse to eat the Karah Prasad offered to me in the Gurdwara now will I? I'm not sure about the way you've been brought up but personally for us it is perfectly acceptable to wear the Khanda if you are a Hindu. Btw do you know the meaning of the word Aum? Yes, it is something that is often related to the Hindu religion but please look up the real meaning of the word. (there are over 100 meanings by the way)

Just because Osama Bin Laden is a terrorist, doesn't mean the whole world thinks Muslims are all terrorists right? If people really have a little bit of common sense and something called logic in them then they will do a bit of research and not take things at face value instead of jumping to conclusions.😊

By the way the majority of the audience that watch this show live in India and I'd be extremely shocked if they did not know the difference between Hindus and Sikhs. But why are we speaking about differences anyway? Shouldn't we be concentrating on what binds us all together instead?
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Can someone please explain to me what 'rule' there is that says Sikh weddings cannot be shown on TV? Is this 'rule' written down somewhere in black and white?

If anything, I think it's a great idea to show the world a bit of our culture. Like I said, NOTHING should be taken at face value but what harm could it possibly do to portray our culture and traditions? I have quite a few Sikh relatives that have married in to our family and so I know that the weddings are beautiful! Spread love, not hate guys. :)
DGill28 thumbnail
Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

Can someone please explain to me what 'rule' there is that says Sikh weddings cannot be shown on TV? Is this 'rule' written down somewhere in black and white?

If anything, I think it's a great idea to show the world a bit of our culture. Like I said, NOTHING should be taken at face value but what harm could it possibly do to portray our culture and traditions? I have quite a few Sikh relatives that have married in to our family and so I know that the weddings are beautiful! Spread love, not hate guys. :)

I'm not sure if there is a rule about not showing sikh weddings on tv, but I do think this is something that may cause a bigger problem within our community (sikh community). I'm all for showing sikh weddings in shows, but in the long run they'll be showing a "fake" wedding using the Guru Granth Sahib Ji and that is in a way disrespecting it. They'll be intentionally disrespecting it and that is a bigger problem than showing a Sardar wearing an "om" sign or a sikh with their hair cut. I'm definitely against disrespecting the Guru Granth Sahib, but I don't mind that they show all other aspects & traditions of a sikh wedding.

Actually, I think they've shown "fake" sikh marriages in Punjabi/Hindi movies so i'm not really sure what the problem is exactly. Maybe a different rule for television? πŸ˜•

Society and it's rules can be so confusing & problematic sometimes. Life would be so much easier without the constant judging
Edited by DGill28 - 12 years ago
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Originally posted by: DGill28

I'm not sure if there is a rule about not showing sikh weddings on tv, but I do think this is something that may cause a bigger problem within our community (sikh community). I'm all for showing sikh weddings in shows, but in the long run they'll be showing a "fake" wedding using the Guru Granth Sahib Ji and that is in a way disrespecting it. They'll be intentionally disrespecting it and that is a bigger problem than showing a Sardar wearing an "om" sign or a sikh with their hair cut. I'm definitely against disrespecting the Guru Granth Sahib, but I don't mind that they show all other aspects & traditions of a sikh wedding.

Actually, I think they've shown "fake" sikh marriages in Punjabi/Hindi movies so i'm not really sure what the problem is exactly. Maybe a different rule for television? πŸ˜•

Society and it's rules can be so confusing & problematic sometimes. Life would be so much easier without the constant judging

Thanks for the response! :)
At the end of the day all the weddings they've ever shown on TV/movies has always been fake right? I don't see why they would have to use the actual Guru Granth Sahib in order to show the wedding? That way at least they won't be disrespecting it right?

I just really wish that people would promote integration instead of segregation. It shouldn't matter if you're Jatt or not or if you're Hindu Punjabi and wear the Kara, I don't think it's right to judge someone and tell them how good/bad of a follower they are for following certain rules and for disobeying some others. I rather leave that to the one above.
Edited by hindu4lyf - 12 years ago
Duttamann80 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: gurinderxbaby

I get what you mean and i get what the other side means too

i understand both Point of views
I agree every religion should be respected 
but i am a sikh myself and i feel offended that the Cvs mixed up the religion i mean what about if it is a newcomer to this show and they are not hindu/sikh , they will think sikhs and hindus are the same even thought we have differences
and to those who think sikhs celebrate karva chauth we actually don't it is against our religion and we are only allowed to bow down to the guru granth sahibji. Sikhs who do celebrate kaurva chauth while that is against. The pure/true sikhs(amritdhari) don't bow to anything else or celebrate other religion celebrations. and yeah it is a rule that shows can't do a sikh wedding.
I know many sikhs that are also offended. You guys might say it is just a serial but it has a huge influence 
Why do u think many sikhs celebrate Karva Chauth? cause Indian serials portray sikhs celebrate it.

I know many people at my school who are sikhs and the ones who watch geet are offended that maan is portraying a sardar and wearing a om necklace. Many people will think sikh's believe in the Om sign. It is offensive. I know many wont understand me but i am just saying there are many people who find mixing up the religions offensive. 

I respect other peoples religions but i stay pure to mine.

I agree with you fully ..
PriyaxBassi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Duttamann80

I agree with you fully ..

:) i dont get why this became into a religion thing i just asked what religion r they cause i got confused 
PriyaxBassi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
:) i dont get why this became into a religion thing i just asked what religion r they cause i got confused cause they showed many religions. i just wanted to know their main one. 

btw everyone sorry if i offended anyone
Anyways Lets just come together as geet/maan lovers :)
gurinderxbaby thumbnail
Originally posted by: Priyalovex3

:) i dont get why this became into a religion thing i just asked what religion r they cause i got confused cause they showed many religions. i just wanted to know their main one. 

btw everyone sorry if i offended anyone
Anyways Lets just come together as geet/maan lovers :)

True say :)
savinik thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Ishk mazahb, ishk inki zaat bangayiπŸ˜‰..take a chill pill gal n enjoy the show!!!πŸ˜›