Creative Concept vs. Choreography

Posted: 12 years ago
While watching Punit's performance today, I was thinking to myself about which was more important in his performance, the concept or the choreography? To me, I felt like the choreography was not too well, and it did not go with the song. However, the concept was impressing and something to note in his performance. But honestly, it was not overall amazing. So it brings to the question I am asking, is having a concept that's unique more important than the choreography of the dance? Post your views. :D
I think it's a combination of concept and choreography along with execution and expression that make an act. For me it is not just one factor that draws me to a performance. It's a whole package.
you know ultimately everything is dependent on how u package the concept.

You might have the world's best concept but if it is not choreographed/presented well, it fails to make an impression.

so the choreography is important. with creative concepts , it gets elevated to greater heights!

Choreography and concept is all dependent on the kind of style that they are trying to present. Certain styles and choreography do not require any themes and hence end up looking fabulous if executed appropriately. 😊

In a style such as contemporary, a concept is needed to enhance the performance and tell a story through dance. So, for contemporary, there definitely needs to be a fine balance between both.

For HipHop, it's such a powerful dance (in terms of steps) that a concept is not needed at all, with the exclusion of Lyrical Hip Hop. If a pop & lock style performance has a concept, it's highly likely that the choreography will end up getting a hit, which will consequentially deter the entire feel.

So, both go hand in hand and depend on what is being put forth. ⭐️

I agree about Punit's performance today - it had a very creative concept, but choreography (or perhaps execution of choreography in some areas) was not sufficient. While the concept was innovative, the choreography was far from innovative and lacked charisma.

Therefore, in dance, I would say that choreography is perhaps most essential. A well choreographed performance that lacks an innovative concept is far superior, in my opinion, to a poorly choreographed act with an innovative concept. However, good choreography is not sufficient - if you want someone to remember your performance, if you want to truly move the audience, you have to connect with the audience. And the only way you can make that connection, or leave that impact, is when you tell a story through your dance or when you leave the audience with a message through the concept of your act. It takes the performance to a whole new level.

That is why the contemporary style really appeals to me (and many others) because there is always some kind of storytelling going on there. On the other hand, with hip-hop and popping and locking, a lot of the times contestants come and give an energetic and well-choreographed (in some cases) performances, but most of the time you don't remember that performance once the episode is over. However, if you mix that choreography with an innovative concept, it gives the audience something to remember.

No matter what style of dance you choose, you should always use it to tell a story. Technicality by itself is good, but it is not sufficient. I also think a concept gives the dancer more motivation and perhaps even more reason to emote and express themselves through their dance.
As i would say that the both will goo hand on hand with it.

If the song is awesome, concept is awesome and dance is awesome - to  Appreciation (perfect Trio of things) 
If the song is good,  concept is awesome and dance is awesome - good work (perfect Combo of 2 thing)
If the song is awesome,  concept is okk and dance is awesome - quit good but not that bad also
If the song is ok,  concept is ok and dance is awesome - Not bad
If the song is good,  concept is awesome, and dance is ok - quit bad
If the song is ok,  concept is ok and dance is ok - not work

Even song also play an important role along with this 2 things in making the concept which suit the dance and its style

It obviously a combination of both. You can't have a dance that solely based on great choreography. People are going to get bored. And a dance that is solely based on creativity isn't going to cut it because people will be wondering, what the heck is the person doing? Since the choreography isn't great, there isn't anything to the so called dance.
about Punit's performance, there was some choreography lacking while he was moving the props. You could see the effort being put into the lifting of the props and such. If he picked up the props while dancing, it would've been a much better performance. I'm not attacking Punit, I adored the idea but I wish the choreography could've been more stronger.
Originally posted by charmz517

Choreography and concept is all dependent on the kind of style that they are trying to present. Certain styles and choreography do not require any themes and hence end up looking fabulous if executed appropriately. 😊

In a style such as contemporary, a concept is needed to enhance the performance and tell a story through dance. So, for contemporary, there definitely needs to be a fine balance between both.

For HipHop, it's such a powerful dance (in terms of steps) that a concept is not needed at all, with the exclusion of Lyrical Hip Hop. If a pop & lock style performance has a concept, it's highly likely that the choreography will end up getting a hit, which will consequentially deter the entire feel.

🤣 you spoke my mind out again. For contemporary, concept definitely enhances the performance since it gives a story telling feel of it..and for hip hop, it's so energetic and powerful in it's own form, that a concept is really not needed to get a more powerful impact! 😃
Originally posted by charmz517

You're right; I was thinking more towards Punit's performance when posting this thread. However, your views are actually correct. Sometimes hip-hop can have a concept, but since it such a strong dance, it doesn't really matter whether there is a concept or not. But, I think lyrical hip hop needs a concept, for example Amar's performance in DID Season 2 on Kahin toh. (Huge Amar fan 😆)
you can have the best creative concept ever, but if the choreography lacks the whole performance/concept is a waste.