SACHIN RAMESH TENDULKAR ..d name says it all

Posted: 12 years ago

Sachins Wedding Pics :

Edited by sonali_N - 12 years ago

SAchin with his Kids and his wife and MOM 

CELEBRATING ANOTHER FEAT: Sachin Tendulkar cuts a cake along with his family in Mumbai on Wednesday. - Photo: PTI

Mumbai : Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar arrived here on Wednesday night to a hero's welcome from family and friends.

They greeted the batting maestro with a surprise reception at his residence in suburban Bandra.

An overwhelmed Sachin told waiting reporters that ''this is a special occasion, as my mother is there to bless me and other family members are also present.'' Sachin said he had seen banners and hoardings greeting him on his world record of Test centuries.

During the second cricket Test against Sri Lanka in New Delhi, which concluded on Wednesday, Sachin surpassed the 34 centuries record of Sunil Gavaskar. Sachin later helped his children Arjun and Sara cut a special cake to celebrate his 35th ton. His wife, Anjali, was also present. Outside the building, Sachin's fans burst firecrackers to celebrate their idol's new world record. ' PTI

My son did not like it when I left home: Sachin

In a two-decade long career, the only bouncer Sachin Tendulkar found tough to negotiate came from his own son, who would refuse to speak to him on phone during tours out of sheer annoyance over his absence from home.

Tendulkar, who will complete two decades in international cricket in November, disclosed that his son did not like him leaving home frequently and wouldn't come on phone until six years of age.

"It was tough initially because my son did not like it when I left home. For the first five-six years of his life, he did not speak to me on phone. That was difficult for me," Tendulkar said.

"Now he (Arjun) knows what I do and he appreciates that; so that's nice. I am a family man and they now know that I play cricket for India," he added.

Asked whether he wanted his son to follow in his footsteps and become a cricketer, Tendulkar said he would not force Arjun to play the game.

SARA AND ARJUN PROUD OF THEIR FATHERS SUCCESS

Sara Tendulkar and Arjun Tendulkar, the rising star kids of Indian batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar have showcased their affection and immense pride in their father's achievements in the international cricketing world. As a matter of fact, it has been witnessed at numerous times in public how much the kids dote on their father Sachin.

Whether it is the various cricket matches being attended by son Arjun Tendulkar [ who recently made his cricketing debut in January 2010] or it is the social welfare events organized by daughter Sara Tendulkar [ she decided to spend her birthday with slum kids]. There are various such instances where one can see the kids alighted with their father's presence.

The Tendulkars have never shied away from showcasing their bond of togetherness and mutual admiration for each other in the public eye. When Sachin completed his 20 years in international cricket then his kids sent him gifts for celebrating the occasion. His daughter Sara gifted him with a painting while his Arjun sent him personally made greeting cards. This was all sent through their mother and Sachin's wife Anjali Tendulkar who went to pay her husband a visit in Ahmedabad.

When Sara took part in the 7th Standard Chartered Marathon in Mumbai last year, Sachin gave her a sound advice to focus and run. Sara who became the highest Dream Maker by raising a larger amount of funds for her grandmother's NGO was elated to hear her father's praise on this occasion.

Everyone who knows the Tendulkars was taken in by surprise by last year when the oldest of the junior Tendulkar kids became the first news maker of the year 2010. Yes, it was Sara Tendulkar who came into limelight and not her father Sachin when the headstrong girl participated in the 7th Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon on January 12 2010 under Dream Run Category.

Apparently Sara Tendulkar the beloved daughter of legendary Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar took part in the marathon for a noble cause. She was there to raise funds for her grandmother and Sachin Tendulkar's mother in law Annabel Mehta's NGO called Apnalaya.

According to her mother Anjali and grandmother Annabel, Sara was really moved by the emotional environment there at the marathon. Also, she was really taken in by surprise by all the mayhem and fervor present amongst the participants at the event. She was enthusiastic throughout the marathon and even clicked pictures with the fellow participants.

Not surprisingly she managed to raise rupees 5.88 lakhs for Apnalaya a figure which managed to won her the award of the youngest Dream Maker of the marathon. She was ecstatic to achieve the award and do something for her grandmother's NGO.

This is not the first instant when Sara has shown concern for social causes. In the year 2009 on her 11th birthday on 12th October, she told her parents to spend her birthday with the underprivileged kids of slum Govandi in Mumbai and even shared her goodies with them. This took Sachin by pleasant surprise and moved him dearly.

For the upcoming 2011 Marathon, Sara earlier reported that she undergoes training for this type f marathon. Sara Tendulkar is the eldest daughter of cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar and Anjali Tendulkar and has a kid brother Arjun Tendulkar who is following in his father's footsteps!

Edited by sonali_N - 12 years ago

Philanthropy :

Sachin Tendulkar is a silent crusader when it comes to charitable works undertaken by him.

Reluctant at first to open up on this aspect of his life, lest it appears as a publicity hunting stunt, Tendulkar says he has been involved in humanitarian deeds since quite some time and would continue to do his bit to help the underprivileged.

Sachin Tendulkar listens to children during a visit to Parikrama in Bangalore in September 2003Successor to Indian President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam in the Board of CARE Hospitals, Tendulkar says the hospital has been of great help to the needy, especially sportspersons of the state.

"It was an honour for me when our President, Dr Abdul Kalam suggested my name to be in the Board of CARE Hospitals in Hyderabad in his place when he became the first citizen of India," said Tendulkar.

Tendulkar has been instrumental in the hospital taking care of total expenses for treatment of even state level sportsmen and women.

"This includes even by-pass surgeries, besides different problems faced by sportspersons. The hospital authorities keep me posted about their work towards sportspersons," he said after the initial hesitation to disclose his charitable deeds.

Tendulkar has also been lending a helping hand to the downtrodden in Tardeo in Mumbai for over 11 years now by providing clothes and other necessities to 250 children besides taking care of their complete education, including books, notebooks, shoes and school uniforms.

Tendulkar has helped over 300 have-nots so far through the Dr Agarwal Eye Hospital in Chennai since October 2004 to get their cataract and eye grafting operations done.

The champion batsman said he is unwilling to talk about this aspect of his as he did not want to seek publicity from these causes.

"I have never spoken about these things so far. I am not to seek any publicity in these matters," he said.

"I am involved with 'Apnalaya' in Tardeo, Care Hospitals in Hyderabad and Dr Agarwal Eye Clinic in Chennai, besides the 'Make Wish Foundation', which has been doing a remarkable job for over a decade."

Tendulkar also expressed his happiness at the work being done by the Dr Agarwal Eye hospital.

"Since October 2004, the hospital has been doing cataract and eye grafting operations for the needy people.

"Ever since I had laid the foundation stone for their hospital in Bangalore, Dr Agarwal and other doctors in Chennai and Bangalore have so far operated over 300 poor persons from different parts of the country.

"The hospital sends me the photograph and the signature or thumb impression of each of the beneficiary under this scheme," he said.

About the school, he said, "I have adopted slum children of 'Apnalaya' school in Tardeo in Mumbai for over 11 years now. I have been taking care of their education, clothing and other expenses of about 250 children for a number of years now."

Leena Joshi, director of 'Apnalaya', expressed her gratitude for the cricketer, saying besides Tendulkar's personal donations, the institution also benefitted from sponsors due to their association with the master batsman.

"It was a great help at a time when we needed it. Sachin graciously accepted our proposal to help in educating children.

"Our institution has benefitted in many ways including getting sponsorship through Sachin for our projects, besides his financial assistance in helping the children, especially in our priorities for girls.

"He also takes care of their extra tuitions. It is always gratifying when children pass out of the school so that they are able to take care of themselves and secured in jobs."

As a policy, the school does not divulge the donor's name or introduce the donors to the children.

"But our 1800 children were elated when Sachin presented medals and trophies to the winners on our annual sports day," she said.

"We were all pleasantly surprised when he came to our school ground to be the chief guest for the annual sports day because it is located in such an area
 behind the garbage dumping area," she said.

Tendulkar sponsors 200 underprivileged children every year through Apnalaya, a Mumbai-based NGOassociated with his mother-in-law, Annabel Mehta. A request from Sachin on Twitter raised Indian Rupee ₹ 10.25 million through Sachin's crusade against cancer for the Crusade against Cancer foundation
Sachin Tendulkar who is already looking after welfare of 200 children from the same NGO called Apnalaya, said he always looked up to his father in trying to understand his social responsibilities.

I was always inspired from my father on social responsibilities,Sachin said on Wednesday said he will sponsor the education of 200 children, who are part of a Non-Governmental Organization.

There is no better source of inspiration for me than my father. Growing up as a child, I saw my father, a professor, pay for the education of our Newspaper person, who could not afford it. This is in a family where every penny mattered.

Whoever turned up at our house, be it the watchman or the postman, would not be allowed to leave without having a cup of tea, which my father served,all these incidents taught me all about caring for others.I have learnt from my father and I'm proud of it.

I'm trying to double my givings and contributing in whatever way I can. I will pay for the education of 200 children as a part of the 'Joy of Giving Week' campaign," he said in support of the programme conceptualised by another NGO, GiveIndia, to promote charity.
Sachin Tendulkar Takes up Educational Charity in Mumbai

Mumbai, Jun 4: Taking an inspiration from his late father who was committed to certain social responsibilities, India's batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar has decided to sponsor the education of 200 children, who are part of Anapalya, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) in Mumbai.

A formal function to mark this dedication by Tendulkar was organised here on Wednesday.

Addressing a press conference under the Give India campaign, conceptualised by another NGO, Tendulkar said that during his childhood every penny in his house mattered but his father, a teacher by profession, made sure that a newspaper boy who used to deliver newspapers in the colony should be provided with money so that he could pursue his college career.

"A newspaper vendor in the morning used to be a teenager; selling newspaper in the morning and pursued his education. My father being a professor exactly understood the difficulty and inspite of not having enough money with himself he was prepared to help him out and take care of his college fees," he said.

He say he believed that the 'Joy of Giving Week' campaign that takes place between September 27- October 4 every year will aim to induce people from all walks of life to donate money, time or simple acts of kindness making the society and the country a happier place to live in.

"Such things in life can make a huge difference not only to us as an individual but if you are looking at the entire nation and if every individual decides to take responsibility then it's going to be a happier place," he added.

Tendulkar is considered to be the greatest batsmen in the cricket history being the highest run scorer in both Test matches and One Day Internationals, and also the batsman with the most centuries in either form of the game for India.

Cricket Star Sachin Tendulkar joins with UNICEF

World famous Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar has joined with UNICEF to encourage children to improve their health and hygiene.

The Master Blaster, Tendulkar, features in a PSA for the inaugural Global Handwashing Day.

The PSA is targeted at students and will be broadcast this month across India in fourteen different languages.

'Having two young children, I constantly have to remind them to wash their hands before and after meals. I wanted to be a part of this campaign, because washing hands with soap can keep children safe and healthy and protect them against deadly disease,' Tendulkar said.

real Sachin Tendulkar on Twitter 

sachin tendulkar

@sachin_rt T: 18.986431,72.823769
Proud Indian

Career Stats Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar.jpg
Personal information
Full nameSachin Ramesh Tendulkar
Born24 April 1973 (age 38)
Bombay, Maharashtra, India
NicknameLittle Master, Tendlya,[1] The God of Cricket,[2] Master Blaster,[3] The Master,[4][5] The Little Champion,[6]
Height5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
Batting styleRight-handed
Bowling styleRight-arm leg spin, off spin, medium pace
RoleBatsman
International information
National sideIndia
Test debut(cap 187)15 November 1989 v Pakistan
Last Test2 January 2011 v South Africa
ODI debut(cap 74)18 December 1989 v Pakistan
Last ODI2 April 2011 v Sri Lanka
ODI shirt no.10
Domestic team information
YearsTeam
1988–presentMumbai
2008–presentMumbai Indians (Indian Premier League)
1992Yorkshire
Career statistics
CompetitionTestODIFCLA
Matches177453280540
Runs scored14,69218,11123,58521,663
Batting average56.9545.1659.8645.89
100s/50s51/5948/9577/10559/113
Top score248*200*248*200*
Balls bowled4,0968,0327,46110,220
Wickets4515470201
Bowling average53.0744.3259.8642.11
5 wickets ininnings0202
10 wickets in match0n/a0n/a
Best bowling3/105/323/105/32
Catches/stumpings106/–136/–174/–171/–

Early Domestic career of Sachin Tendulkar    

Sachin attended the MRF Pace Foundation during his schooldays to train as a fast bowler, but Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee, who saw him training, was not much impressed and suggested that Tendulkar should focus on his batting instead. As a young boy, Tendulkar would practice for hours at the net, and was driven hard by his coach Achrekar.

While at school, his extraordinary batting skills got noticed by the sports circuit. People felt that the young boy would soon become one of the greats in cricket. In the 1988 season, he scored a century in every inning that he played. In one of the inter school matches that year, he had an unbroken 664-run partnership with friend and team mate Vinod Kambli.

When he was 14, Indian batting legend Sunil Gavaskar a great Indian batsman of that time, gave him a pair of his own light pads. This touching gesture greatly encouraged the budding cricketer, who 20 years later broke Gavaskar's world record of 34 Test centuries.

In 1988, when he was just under 16, he scored 100 not out in for Bombay against Gujrat. This was on his first-class debut. He then scored a century in his first appearance in the Deodhar and Duleep Trophy. Mumbai captain Dilip Vengsarkar picked him up after seeing him batting Kapil Dev in the nets. That season he was Bombay's highest run-getter. In the Irani Trophy final, He made an unbeaten century. He scored a century in all three of his Irani Trophy, Ranji Trophy and Duleep Trophy debuts, and became the first player to do so. He was selected for the tour of Pakistan next year.

On 11 December 1988, aged just 15 years and 232 days, Tendulkar scored 100 not out in his debut first-class match for Bombay against Gujarat, making him the youngest Indian to score a century on first-class debut. He followed this by scoring a century in his first Deodhar and Duleep Trophy. He was picked by the Mumbai captain Dilip Vengsarkar after seeing him negotiate Kapil Dev in the nets, and finished the season as Bombay's highest run-scorer. He also made an unbeaten century in the Irani Trophy final, and was selected for the tour of Pakistan next year, after just one first class season.

His first double century was for Mumbai while playing against the visiting Australian team at the Brabourne Stadium in 1998. He is the only player to score a century in all three of his Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy and Irani Trophy debuts.

In 1992, at the age of 19, Tendulkar became the first overseas born player to represent Yorkshire

Tendulkar played 16 first-class matches for the county and scored 1070 runs at an average of 46.52.

Early career

Raj Singh Dungarpur is credited for the selection of Tendulkar for the 1989 Indian tour of Pakistan. Tendulkar played his first Test match against Pakistan in Karachi in 1989 aged just 16. He made just 15 runs, being bowled by Waqar Younis, who also made his debut in that match, but was noted for how he handled numerous blows to his body at the hands of the Pakistani pace attack. In the final test in Sialkot, he was hit on the nose by a bouncer, but he declined medical assistance and continued to bat even as he gushed blood from it. In a 20 over exhibition game in Peshawar, Tendulkar made 53 runs off 18 balls, including an over in which he scored 28 runs off Abdul Qadir.This was later called "one of the best innings I have seen" by the then Indian captain Kris Srikkanth. In all, he scored 215 runs at an average of 35.83 in the Test series, and was dismissed without scoring a run in the only One Day International he played.

The series was followed by a tour of New Zealand in which he scored 117 runs at an average of 29.25 in, Tests including an innings of 88 in the Second Test. He was dismissed without scoring in one of the two one-day games he played, and scored 36 in the other. On his next tour, to England in 1990, he became the second youngest cricketer to score a Test century as he made 119* at Old Trafford. Wisden described his innings as "a disciplined display of immense maturity" and also wrote:

"He looked the embodiment of India's famous opener, Gavaskar, and indeed was wearing a pair of his pads. While he displayed a full repertoire of strokes in compiling his maiden Test hundred, most remarkable were his off-side shots from the back foot. Though only 5ft 5in tall, he was still able to control without difficulty short deliveries from the English paceman."

Tendulkar further enhanced his development during the 1991'1992 tour of Australia, that included an unbeaten 148 in Sydney and a century on a fast, bouncing pitch at Perth. Merv Hughes commented to Allan Border at the time that "This little prick's going to get more runs than you, AB."

Rise through the ranks  

Tendulkar's performance through the years 1994'1999 coincided with his physical peak, in his early twenties. On the day of the Hindu festival Holi, Tendulkar was told to open the batting at Auckland against New Zealand in 1994. He went on to make 82 runs off 49 balls. He scored his first ODI century on 9 September 1994 against Australia in Sri Lanka at Colombo. It had taken him 79 ODIs to score a century.

Tendulkar's rise continued when he was the leading run scorer at the 1996 Cricket World Cup, scoring two centuries. He was the only Indian batsman to perform in the infamous semi-final against Sri Lanka. Tendulkar fell amid a batting collapse and the match referee awarded Sri Lanka the match after the crowd began rioting and throwing litter onto the field.

After the World Cup, in the same year against Pakistan at Sharjah, Indian captain Mohammed Azharuddin was going through a lean patch. Tendulkar and Navjot Singh Sidhu both made centuries to set a record partnership for the second wicket. After getting out, Tendulkar found Azharuddin in two minds about whether he should bat. Tendulkar convinced Azharuddin to bat and Azharuddin subsequently unleashed 29 runs in mere 10 balls. It enabled India post a score in excess of 300 runs for the first time in an ODI. India went on to win that match.

This was the beginning of a period at the top of the batting world, culminating in the Australian tour of India in early 1998, with Tendulkar scoring three consecutive centuries. These were characterized by a premeditated plan to target Australian spinners Shane Warne and Gavin Robertson, to whom he regularly charged down the pitch to drive over the infield. This technique worked as India beat Australia. The test match success was followed by two scintillating knocks in Sharjah where he scored two consecutive centuries in a must-win game and then in finals against Australia tormenting Shane Warne once again. Following the series Warne ruefully joked that he was having nightmares about his Indian nemesis. He also had a role with the ball in that series, including a five wicket haul in an ODI. Set 310 runs to win, Australia were cruising comfortably at 3 for 203 in the 31st over when Tendulkar turned the match for India taking wickets of Michael Bevan, Steve Waugh, Darren Lehmann, Tom Moody and Damien Martyn for just 32 runs in 10 overs.

Tendulkar single-handedly won the ICC 1998 quarterfinal at Dhaka to pave way for India's entry into the semifinals, when he took four Australian wickets after scoring 141 runs in just 128 balls.

The inaugural Asian Test Championship took place in February and March 1999. Held just twice, the 1999 championship was contested by India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. Eden Gardens hosted the first match, in which Tendulkar was run out for nine after colliding with Pakistan bowler Shoaib Akhtar. The crowd's reaction to the dismissal was to throw objects at Akhtar, and the players were taken off the field. The match resumed after Tendulkar and the president of the ICC appealed to the crowd, however further rioting meant that the match was finished in front of a crowd of just 200 people. Tendulkar scored his 19th Test century in the second Test and the match resulted in a draw with Sri Lanka. India did not progress to the final, which was won by Pakistan, and refused to participate the next time the championship was held to increasing political tensions between India and Pakistan.

A chronic back problem flared up when Pakistan toured India in 1999, with India losing the historic Test at Chepauk despite a gritty century from Tendulkar himself. The worst was yet to come as Professor Ramesh Tendulkar, Tendulkar's father, died in the middle of the 1999 Cricket World Cup. Tendulkar flew back to India to attend the final rituals of his father, missing the match against Zimbabwe. However, he returned with a bang to the World cup scoring a century (unbeaten 140 off 101 balls) in his very next match against Kenya in Bristol. He dedicated this century to his father.

SAchin dedicating his century to his late father Father at World cup 1999

8 month old Sacin with his Father 

Captaincy

Tendulkar's two tenures as captain of the Indian cricket team were not very successful. When Tendulkar took over as captain in 1996, it was with huge hopes and expectations. However, by 1997 the team was performing poorly. Azharuddin was credited with saying "Nahin jeetega! Chote ki naseeb main jeet nahin hai!", which translates into: "He won't win! It's not in the small one's destiny!".

Tendulkar, succeeding Azharuddin as captain for his second term, then led India on a tour of Australia, where the visitors were comprehensively beaten 3'0 by the newly crowned world champions. Tendulkar, however, won the player of the tournament award as well as player of the match in one of the games. After another Test series defeat, this time by a 0'2 margin at home against South Africa, Tendulkar resigned, and Sourav Ganguly took over as captain in 2000.

Tendulkar remains an integral part of the Indian team's strategic processes. He is often seen in discussion with the captain, at times actively involved in building strategies. Former captain Rahul Dravid publicly acknowledged that Tendulkar had been suggesting moves such as the promotion of Irfan Pathan up the batting order which, although only temporary, had an immediate effect on the team's fortunes. In 2007, Tendulkar was appointed vice-captain to captain Rahul Dravid. During the Indian team's 2007 tour of England, Dravid's desire to resign from the captaincy became known. The BCCI President Sharad Pawar personally offered the captaincy to Tendulkar. However, Tendulkar asked Pawar not to appoint him captain, instead recommending Mahendra Singh Dhoni to take over the reins. Pawar later revealed this conversation, crediting Tendulkar for first forwarding the name of Dhoni, who since achieved much success as captain.

Injuries and apparent Decline

Tendulkar continued his good form in Test cricket in 2001 and 2002, with some pivotal performances with both bat and ball. Tendulkar took three wickets on the final day of the famousKolkata Test against Australia in 2001. Tendulkar took the key wickets of Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist, centurions in the previous test.
In the 2002 series in the West Indies, Tendulkar started well, scoring 79 in the first test, and 117 in the first innings of the second. Then, in a hitherto unprecedented sequence, he scored 0, 0, 8 and 0 in the next four innings, getting out to technical "defects" and uncharacteristically poor strokes. He returned to form in the last test scoring 41 and 86. However, India lost the series. This might have been the beginning of the "decline" phase in his career which lasted till 2006.
Tendulkar made 673 runs in 11 matches in the 2003 Cricket World Cup, helping India reach the final. While Australia retained the trophy that they had won in 1999, Tendulkar was given the Man of the Tournament award.
He continued to score heavily in ODI cricket that year, with two hundreds in a tri series involving New Zealand and Australia.
The drawn series as India toured Australia in 2003/04 saw Tendulkar making his mark in the last Test of the series, with 241* in Sydney, putting India in a virtually unbeatable position. He followed up the innings with an unbeaten 60 in the second innings of the test. Prior to this test match, he had had an unusually horrible run of form, failing in all six innings in the preceding three tests. It was no aberration that 2003 was his worst year in test cricket, with an average of 17.25 and just one fifty.
He scored an unbeaten 194 against Pakistan at Multan in the following series. The 194 was controversial in that he was stranded prior to reaching his double century as a result of adeclaration by Rahul Dravid. In meeting with the press that evening, Tendulkar responded to a question on missing 200 against Pakistan by stating that he was disappointed and that the declaration had taken him by surprise.Many former cricketers commented that Dravid's declaration was in bad taste.The media noted at the time that the decision had apparently been made by Sourav Ganguly, and Ganguly himself later admitted that it had been a mistake. The controversy was put to rest when Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and coach John Wright spoke to the media after the team's victory and stated that the matter was spoken internally and put to rest.
Tennis elbow then took its toll on Tendulkar, leaving him out of the side for most of the year, coming back only for the last two tests when Australia toured India in 2004. He played a part in India's victory in Mumbai in that series with a fast 55, though Australia took the series 2–1.
On 10 December 2005 at Feroz Shah Kotla, Tendulkar scored his record-breaking 35th Test century, against the Sri Lankans.
In the test series in Pakistan in 2006, Sachin failed to get going in all three innings despite the pitches being flat tracks. In the third of those three innings, he was bowled comprehensively after making 26, and ended up on all fours. This prompted The Times of India to publish an article entitled "Endulkar" in which TOI opined that Tendulkar's batting prowess had declined and his career had slid permanently.
On 6 February 2006, he scored his 39th ODI hundred, in a match against Pakistan. He followed with a run-a-ball 42 in the second one-day international against Pakistan on 11 February 2006, and then a 95 in hostile, seaming conditions on 13 February 2006 in Lahore, which set up an Indian victory.
On 19 March 2006, after scoring an unconvincing 1 off 21 balls against England in the first innings of the third Test in his home ground, Wankhede, Tendulkar was booed off the ground by a section of the crowd, the first time that he had ever faced such flak. Tendulkar was to end the three-Test series without a single half-century to his credit, and news of a shoulder operation raised more questions about his longevity. Tendulkar was operated upon for his injured shoulder. In July 2006, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced that Tendulkar had overcome his injury problem following a rehabilitation programme and was available for selection, and he was eventually selected for the next series.
Tendulkar's comeback came in the DLF cup in Malaysia and he was the only Indian batsman to shine. In his comeback match, against West Indies on 14 September 2006, Tendulkar responded to his critics who believed that his career was inexorably sliding with his 40th ODI century. Though he scored 141*, West Indies won the rain-affected match by the D/L method.
In the preparation for the 2007 Cricket World Cup, Tendulkar was criticized by Greg Chappell on his attitude.As per the report, Chappell felt that Tendulkar would be more useful down the order, while the latter felt that he would be better off opening the innings, the role he had played for most of his career. Chappell also believed that Tendulkar's repeated failures were hurting the team's chances. In a rare show of emotion, Tendulkar hit out at the comments attributed to Chappell by pointing out that no coach has ever suggested his attitude towards cricket is incorrect. On 7 April 2007, the Board of Control for Cricket in India issued a notice to Tendulkar asking for an explanation for his comments made to the media.
At the Cricket World Cup 2007 in the West Indies, Tendulkar and the Indian cricket team, led by Rahul Dravid had a dismal campaign. Tendulkar, who was pushed to bat lower down the order by the Greg Chappell had scores of 7 (Bangladesh), 57* (Bermuda) and 0 (Sri Lanka). As a result, former Australian captain Ian Chappell, brother of the then Indian coach Greg, called for Tendulkar to retire in his column for Mumbai's Mid Day newspaper.[65]
During this period from about 2002 to 2006–7, Tendulkar's batting often seemed to be a shadow of its former self. He was inconsistent, and his big knocks mostly came in sedate, accumulative, uncharacteristic fashion. He seemed to have either cut out or lost the ability to play many shots, including the hook and pull and many other aerial strokes. He also developed a tendency to go without scoring much for long periods and become overtly defensive. While players such as Ponting and Kallis were at the peak of their careers, Sachin's seemed to be in terminal decline. There were several calls from him to retire too.
However after the 2007 World Cup, his career had a second wind and his consistency and form have returned.