Review: Luv Ka The End
(Comedy)
Anupama Chopra, Consulting Editor, Films, NDTV
Friday, May 06, 2011
  Print A+   A-
Cast: Shraddha Kapoor, Taaha Shah
Director: Bumpy
Producer: Ashish Patil

Luv Ka The End is ostensibly made for the youth of this country by YRF's new label Y-Films that has been launched, and I'm quoting from the press release here, 'to create a brand of cinema that will capture the hearts and imaginations of this elusive bunch and rock their world.' I walked out of the movie depressed. If this is really what the youth wants, we should be afraid, very afraid.

The film is about Rhea, played by Shraddha Kapoor, who is all set to celebrate her 18th birthday by losing her virginity to her boyfriend, Luv played by Taaha Shah. She has dreams in her eyes, which are quickly crushed when she discovers that Luv has only pursued her this long because he is part of some sick internet game, in which scoring a virgin gets him the biggest score. So she and her two best friends set out to take revenge using, among other things, laxatives, itch powder and super glue. As one of them puts it: Luv Nanda becomes Luv Nanga.

This might remind you of the Hollywood teen flick John Tucker Must Die, which was also about girls getting revenge on the local school stud who was cheating on them. But Luv Ka the End doesn't even manage the innocuous, bubble-gum tone of that film. Debutant director Bumpy dresses it up a girl empowerment story and the women ' Shraddha and Pushtiie Shakti, who plays her feisty friend Jugs do have some genuine sock-it-to-them moments.

But largely, Luv Ka the End is uncomfortably icky, tediously wannabe and depressingly homophobic. So characters determinedly use youthful lingo like babes, chill, BFF and of course, aren't afraid of four letter words. Everybody is styled casual cool and we even have a new age mom giving lines like: I know love is hard baby.

But the sensibility of this film is not youthful, it's juvenile. And that's before you get to the part where Luv, under the influence of some pill, dresses in drag and breaks into a song that goes: Mera jism, jism, mera badan, badan, main hun taza mutton mutton, khol dilon ke button button. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

I'm not sure what demographic that is aimed at but it definitely not for me. I'm going with one and a half star.

Read more at: http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_Review.aspx?id=618&cp Edited by chocolover89 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mysticgoryfilms thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
Am I the only one who does not find the guy hot, or good looking for that matter? I must have a different taste in men, then.

And again, from the promos, it was obvious how this movie will fare. I am seriously tired of this wannabe-ish Bollywood trying to be Western kinda thing I am seeing these past few years. It annoys me so much.
AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: chocolover89

Review: Luv Ka The End
(Comedy)

Anupama Chopra, Consulting Editor, Films, NDTV
Friday, May 06, 2011

Print A+   A-

Cast: Shraddha Kapoor, Taaha Shah
Producer: Ashish Patil

Luv Ka The End is ostensibly made for the youth of this country by YRF's new label Y-Films that has been launched, and I'm quoting from the press release here, 'to create a brand of cinema that will capture the hearts and imaginations of this elusive bunch and rock their world.' I walked out of the movie depressed. If this is really what the youth wants, we should be afraid, very afraid.

The film is about Rhea, played by Shraddha Kapoor, who is all set to celebrate her 18th birthday by losing her virginity to her boyfriend, Luv played by Taaha Shah. She has dreams in her eyes, which are quickly crushed when she discovers that Luv has only pursued her this long because he is part of some sick internet game, in which scoring a virgin gets him the biggest score. So she and her two best friends set out to take revenge using, among other things, laxatives, itch powder and super glue. As one of them puts it: Luv Nanda becomes Luv Nanga.

This might remind you of the Hollywood teen flick John Tucker Must Die, which was also about girls getting revenge on the local school stud who was cheating on them. But Luv Ka the End doesn't even manage the innocuous, bubble-gum tone of that film. Debutant director Bumpy dresses it up a girl empowerment story and the women ' Shraddha and Pushtiie Shakti, who plays her feisty friend Jugs do have some genuine sock-it-to-them moments.

But largely, Luv Ka the End is uncomfortably icky, tediously wannabe and depressingly homophobic. So characters determinedly use youthful lingo like babes, chill, BFF and of course, aren't afraid of four letter words. Everybody is styled casual cool and we even have a new age mom giving lines like: I know love is hard baby.

But the sensibility of this film is not youthful, it's juvenile.
And that's before you get to the part where Luv, under the influence of some pill, dresses in drag and breaks into a song that goes: Mera jism, jism, mera badan, badan, main hun taza mutton mutton, khol dilon ke button button. 🤣

I'm not sure what demographic that is aimed at but it definitely not for me. I'm going with one and a half star.

Read more at: http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_Review.aspx?id=618&cp

LMAO I loveee this review!👏👏👏🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

@bold: Bang on! She spoke my mind!👏  I HATE how YRF is trying to pass this off as a a film for "today's youth"...today's youth doesn't mean only juvenile, superficial, shallow, wannabes, Mr. Adi Chopra...wake up and try to go for some MATURITY in your films. These ppl think that this is all "fun"...please give more credit to the youth of today than this...they are not one-dimensional...atleast that's what I'd like to believe.
a little faith thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
It is the old debate of Entertainment vs. Inspiration or education.  Just today I read a new tellybuzz article beginning with the quote, 'Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either'- Marshall McLuhan

I would retort with another quote or maxim 'power tends to corrupts, absolute power corrupt absolutely.'  Could we borrow from that and say 'money tends to corrupt, a lot more money corrupts exponentially' (money translating as greed/need for money)

I know I sound bitter but at the heart of my angst is the Y-films promotion, and I quote verbatim 'that hopes to challenge the norm and detonate boundaries. '  Is Luv ka the end' challenging the norm? The 'issues' raised seem to revolve around 'selfishness', and to be frank they are neither subtle nor exceptional. It is the same old, same old, that I can find being repeated on every street corner and behind every college bike shed!  Am I very much disconnected from the youth? Is this what concerns them now?  Is there no hope for inspirational betterment?

Some media want to make money.  Rarely a film only wants to make a social statement, have higher aspiration for social improvement.  Although gone are the days of Satyajit Ray, I would hope that some would still want to do both.  Do you not agree that it is the latter two categories of art that would instill love and honour from its viewers?  Viewers can sense shallowness and also conversely feel sincerity of intention. That is why even with low production values and bloopers and very inconsistent editing a film can become an overnight success, well at least on the internet. : P 

We could argue that it is about supply and demand, as I speak as one who is way out the the intended demographic for this film, but I must speak now for this generation is in whose hands I leave this beloved earth of mine. 

Did the creatives become corrupted or did we (majority of society) corrupt them?

I truly don't know who is to blame.  It's the age old question of which came first the chicken or the egg?  Did the media/tv/magazines etc dumb us down or did they only cater to popular demand, in which case society has a lot to answer for!  I being the minority, those who ask for something more, a little extra effort and sincerity of intention, don't really interest the creatives, so I guess I should work upon changing the attitudes of the majority...

...maybe I should create a film ...

...isn't this the cycle of life. 

Purity of intention followed by corruption.  So how do we remain true to ourselves in this world?

Y-films again state that they intend to be 'A studio that promises to deliver kick ass films of the youth, by the youth, for the youth. And be a platform for talent ' both on screen and behind the scenes ' who will break and set new rules of story-telling.'  The only part of Luv ka the end that I found had any truth of this statement was the honourable portrayal of a slightly overweight girl who was intended to be laughed with not at, something new for Indian film roles. 

The silver lining to this cloud for me is the 'minority' of the viewing youth who spoke out, raised objections and said this isn't us, isn't what interests us therefore do not say that it is for us!  In these voices I see the leaders of tomorrow, the role models, the ones who can lead us out of the pit of the shallow.

It is in these people, and not the creatives, that I now place my hope!

My message to Y-Films.  This isn't America, this is India/Asia and though I would whole heartedly agree that new times means a different approach, its essence, its message should be gleaned from our OWN legacy.

Gandhi said, 'You must BE THE CHANGE you wish to see IN THE WORLD!'

Love Sabah
Edited by a little faith - 12 years ago
LifeOLicious thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: a little faith

My message to Y-Films.  This isn't America, this is India/Asia and though I would whole heartedly agree that new times means a different approach, its essence, its message should be gleaned from our OWN legacy.

Agreed. I haven't seen the film so my comments are in general.

We have to accept that a lot of our "youth" are Americanized and they speak that language. So it's ok to Americanize the movies a little bit...however it would be good if these filmmakers do a little more research and actually find out the real situation in India (in high schools & colleges) and then Indianize these American teen stories and the characters.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
To be honest..I don't even think the youth in America is this superficial.
a little faith thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: LifeOLicious

Agreed. I haven't seen the film so my comments are in general.

We have to accept that a lot of our "youth" are Americanized and they speak that language. So it's ok to Americanize the movies a little bit...however it would be good if these filmmakers do a little more research and actually find out the real situation in India (in high schools & colleges) and then Indianize these American teen stories and the characters.

This content was originally posted by: chocolover89

To be honest..I don't even think the youth in America is this superficial.

I just wanted to clarify that I am not anti American art or history. When I stated 'from our OWN legacy' I meant from Asia's art and historical history. I do believe that the human experience is universal. I bleed as easily as those living in America.

It is about resisting the the 'homogenization' of the world. As the colours slowly fade from our world being replaced by a plastic colour that has not got a name NOR should it be named, only felt within our souls and rejected for its insipid yet repugnant taste! 

I wish to safeguard the diversity of art, for though the human experience is universal in the general sense it is truly personal in the specific sense. 

Thank you for allowing me to better explain my view.
Love Sabah
Edited by a little faith - 12 years ago
Probably this is the first ever movie review I have read which got a rating of ZERO!!!🤣Well it was expected!!😆my FB obsessed friends literally LOWED the movie..and more than the movie LOWED the taaza mutton mutton song!🤓

God bless Yashraj Films!...If they are following their Yo YO wala Y films path and making these kinda films..will we ever get something again like a Chak De or a Band Baaja Baraat?I dont think so!

Here is the review by india today:-

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Starring: Shraddha Kapoor, Taasha Shah
Rating: Zero

Imagine a movie where the main male lead looks like a gelled hair gigolo who speaks in an American accent and keeps saying babe. Where the main female lead strikes black power salutes and says girl power every five minutes. Where the parents are out of the Handbook of Advertising 101-a lalaji type, a professional couple type and a plucky single mom type. And yes, the heroine has a fat girl friend and a thin girl friend. And the hero has a muscular dude type friend and a fat friend.

Yash Raj Films, not satisfied with having milked the marriage market dry, have now turned to the so-called youth demographic. Which means they have watched every film made in Hollywood aimed at that demographic. So imagine Cruel Intentions crossed with High School Musical and throw in a bit of Hannah Montana for the younger sisters, and voila you have a made for dummies movie.

So here we have Rhea (what a perfectly demographically synchronous name) who is the pretty, straight A student. And we have Luv (yes Luv) Nanda, the rich guy with the cool car who is part of the Billionaire Boys Club. Oh yes, before I forget, there's also a teacher who wears backless blouses to class (she is Shehnaz Treasurywala, the writer of this odious material). It's such a travesty that even the one decent contribution to the general vocabulary-s**tty Savitris--gets lost in the welter of brand positioning (oh look, Aldo shoes, Mango top, Diesel jeans, Lakme make-up, and yes, yes, Nine West sandals). It's like being a giant mall or the waterbed of the climax scene. Every where you turn there's a blinding neon sign saying-Dumb Young Ones This Way.

There's a lot technology involved. We're very hip you see. So everyone gets Facebook status updates, speaks to each other through video calls, and puts live footage on the worldwide web.

I'm not giving away much when I tell you that the film is about the girl avenging her two timing boyfriend, and depriving him of his four Cs-which we are told is Car, Cash, Charm and Chamchas. And the whole day and night is spent in trashing a Jaguar, slipping in drugs, strategically sprinkling the boy's Calvin Klein boxers (please note brand positioning) with itching powder, and getting him to dance in a gay bar to the Mutton Song. Because we all know that being gay is the worst thing you can do in a Bollywood movie, unless of course it's a comedy.

We're supposed to laugh at dudes who can make their chests move and girls who can strike deals over clothes.

Between a boy whose pout is better than the girl's and a girl who tries hard to be Dirty Harry, this is a movie that is to be avoided. At. All. Costs.

Luv ka The End? No beginning, bro.

And by the way, the director is called Bumpy. Bumpy? I rest my case.

---------------------------------

the director's name is BUMPY?😆

Edited by .sb. - 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: mysticgoryfilms

Am I the only one who does not find the guy hot, or good looking for that matter? I must have a different taste in men, then.

@bold-GUY???The only promos I have watched of this movie on TV has this 'guy' dressed up as a girl in ghagra choli and dancing to mutton song..so just rephrase  your post and say girl..that wud be better i suppose! :P
😆
AreYaar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: .sb.

Probably this is the first ever movie review I have read which got a rating of ZERO!!!🤣Well it was expected!!😆my FB obsessed friends literally LOWED the movie..and more than the movie LOWED the taaza mutton mutton song!🤓

God bless Yashraj Films!...If they are following their Yo YO wala Y films path and making these kinda films..will we ever get something again like a Chak De or a Band Baaja Baraat?I dont think so!

Here is the review by india today:-

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Starring: Shraddha Kapoor, Taasha Shah
Rating: Zero

Imagine a movie where the main male lead looks like a gelled hair gigolo who speaks in an American accent and keeps saying babe. Where the main female lead strikes black power salutes and says girl power every five minutes. Where the parents are out of the Handbook of Advertising 101-a lalaji type, a professional couple type and a plucky single mom type. And yes, the heroine has a fat girl friend and a thin girl friend. And the hero has a muscular dude type friend and a fat friend.

Yash Raj Films, not satisfied with having milked the marriage market dry, have now turned to the so-called youth demographic. Which means they have watched every film made in Hollywood aimed at that demographic. So imagine Cruel Intentions crossed with High School Musical and throw in a bit of Hannah Montana for the younger sisters, and voila you have a made for dummies movie.

So here we have Rhea (what a perfectly demographically synchronous name) who is the pretty, straight A student. And we have Luv (yes Luv) Nanda, the rich guy with the cool car who is part of the Billionaire Boys Club. Oh yes, before I forget, there's also a teacher who wears backless blouses to class (she is Shehnaz Treasurywala, the writer of this odious material). It's such a travesty that even the one decent contribution to the general vocabulary-s**tty Savitris--gets lost in the welter of brand positioning (oh look, Aldo shoes, Mango top, Diesel jeans, Lakme make-up, and yes, yes, Nine West sandals). It's like being a giant mall or the waterbed of the climax scene. Every where you turn there's a blinding neon sign saying-Dumb Young Ones This Way.

There's a lot technology involved. We're very hip you see. So everyone gets Facebook status updates, speaks to each other through video calls, and puts live footage on the worldwide web.

I'm not giving away much when I tell you that the film is about the girl avenging her two timing boyfriend, and depriving him of his four Cs-which we are told is Car, Cash, Charm and Chamchas. And the whole day and night is spent in trashing a Jaguar, slipping in drugs, strategically sprinkling the boy's Calvin Klein boxers (please note brand positioning) with itching powder, and getting him to dance in a gay bar to the Mutton Song. Because we all know that being gay is the worst thing you can do in a Bollywood movie, unless of course it's a comedy.

We're supposed to laugh at dudes who can make their chests move and girls who can strike deals over clothes.

Between a boy whose pout is better than the girl's and a girl who tries hard to be Dirty Harry, this is a movie that is to be avoided. At. All. Costs.

Luv ka The End? No beginning, bro.

And by the way, the director is called Bumpy. Bumpy? I rest my case.

OMG BEST REVIEW EVERRR🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

And I SO agree about the Bumpy bit...seriously I thought the same...when the director only is named BUMPY what exactly is one to expect from this movie???🤣🤣