A Minute With: Salman Khan : READY All Interviews

Posted: 12 years ago
MUMBAI | Thu May 5, 2011 6:41pm IST

(Reuters) - He's cracked the hit formula while the rest of Bollywood is still searching for it.

"Dabangg" shattered box office records, made it cool to hook your sunglasses at the back of your collar and established Salman Khan as the undisputed hero of the masses - the screaming, single-screen, small town masses who form the largest share of the film audience in India.

Khan, 45, is back with his next film, "Ready," a remake of a Telugu film and what he calls a mix of his earlier hits "No Entry" and "Hum Aapke Hain Kaun."

He spoke to Reuters about the film, how he has become more committed to delivering what his audience wants, and why he won't do a niche film.

Q: Your next film "Ready" is also a remake of a southern film, as was "Dabangg." What is it about these films that work for you?

A: "It's a coincidence that the last two films have been remakes. Earlier they used to copy our films. Some of my dad's films have been remade in the south. Also, when you remake Hollywood films, the whole world has seen them. But these films have not been seen, except for people in the states where they've been released.

"They haven't let heroism go. Suddenly, we've got into rom-coms and love stories and niche films. We started missing heroes. I started missing heroes big time and I'm in the business so I can afford to correct that. "Dabangg" was made for the masses and we were discouraged. We were told cop movie was outdated, it was a new girl, a new director, the overseas audience would never accept it. But we just kept making the film."

Q: Do you see yourself fitting into any of the niche films that Bollywood is making?

A: (Folds hands and shakes head) "I don't think anyone is doing that anymore. They've come down from Amsterdam to Andheri. It's not about formula, because if I knew the formula, I would also mess it up. You tend to get carried away and start thinking that the image on the screen is your image. This is the time you have to be very careful."

Q: Your film was a huge hit in a year when one could barely count the number of films that made money. Have you cracked the formula?

A: "There's nothing that I am doing right. There was also a time when everybody's films were working and my films were bombing left right and centre. But I didn't panic at that point because I knew that those films were going to bomb. There were times when I liked the script but couldn't put my foot down on the edit or certain scenes, or the way I work - some films I just had to do. But today, I've realized one thing, that from the guy who pays 10 rupees to see my film to the guy who pays 500 rupees, I have a responsibility to them. The guy who spends 10 rupees should get 100 rupees back in terms of entertainment."

Q: You come across as being much more involved in your films than before. You're thinking about songs and marketing and aspects besides just acting.

A: "I've always been like that. But when you get kicked on your a*** na, you go two steps forward."

Q: You are involved in a lot of charity work with your organization "Being Human." Do you tie it up with your film promotions?

A: "No, it doesn't have anything to do with promoting my films. But if you have time, let's not just give fake smiles and come away. You are meeting special children, cancer patients and you smile at them, but what after that? Rather than using such things for publicity and PR exercises, let the money go into something worthwhile."

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/05/idINIndia-56794320110505

Edited by Da_BagarhBilla - 12 years ago
He's cracked the hit formula while the rest of Bollywood is still searching for it.🥳

Hail Salman ::::: Bhai ka Jalwaa ðŸ˜‰

My fans matter to me--Salman

by tarannum khan - May 5, 2011 - 0 comments ShareThis
Average:
Your rating: None Average: 4.9 (17 votes)

Unlike most of the tinsel town stars, who work to receive awards and feel honored bagging them, the Being Human founder, Salman Khan wishes to receive good response from his fans for his work and not awards.

Recently, Salman got candid about his upcoming movie 'Ready' and articulated that he took all the pain to re-shoot two songs namely 'Dhinka Chika' and 'Character Dheela' from the film, just to makethem appealing for his fans.

When asked why he re-shot the songs, Salman said, "I don't want any awards. My fans matter to me. I have to respect my fan who is paying for his movie ticket and going in with an expectation of watching good entertaining cinema. I don't want my fans to come out and say 'Bakwas picture hai' (The film was rubbish). One of the main reasons why I have re-shot the songs in Ready is because I didn't want to let my fans down."

I want people to remember the hero when they leave theatres, says Salman
The 'Ready' hero feels that today's movies lack heroic characters in them. During his father and writer Salim Khan's days, scripts were penned down with hero's in their mind and stories used to revolve around the male leads.

But today films are made on different lines, and they don't project the heros much.

Talking about doing hero centric movies, Salman stated, "Yes, because I had started missing them. When my father used to write, the heroes used to be the strong and central to the story, doing heroic things. I would go to the theatre and clap and whistle when I saw the hero on screen. The macho hero seems to have vanished.

"Today's generation is missing the macho man and I wanted to bring him back on screen. I wanted to make sure people remember the hero when they leave the theatre. That's why I am doing such films."

Salman: I am all excited about 'Ready'
After riding high on the success of 'Dabangg', Salman is now quite thrilled and excited about his forthcoming film 'Ready'.

The film has been directed by the 'No Entry' famed director Anees Bazmee and has been produced by Bhushan Kumar.

In 'Ready' Asin plays the lead and will be seen romancing Salman, whereas Zarine Khan will be seen doing the item number 'Character Dheela' with him.

Talking about his film which is slated for a June 3 release, Salman said, "I am all excited about 'Ready'. I just hope we stand up to the expectations."

http://www.totalfilmy.com/feature/20110505/my_fans_matter_mesalman-33011.html

I'll share income with Bollywood workers: Salman Khan (Interview)

Mumbai, May 6 (IANS) Bollywood star Salman Khan, also known as the Hindi film industry's enfant terrible, says he wants to help workers in filmdom by sharing his income and also work for the underprivileged in society.

'Right now, I want to give a percentage of my earnings from the film that I will start to workers of the film industry,' Salman told IANS, adding the amount is not fixed yet. 'It can be half of the remuneration; it can be one percent.'

'Even if everyone gives half a percent (of their remuneration), it will be huge money.

'The government takes 30 percent from (the industry) plus the entertainment tax. Where does it (money) go, I don't know. I know that the money, whatever small percentage we give, should go to the workers in the film industry,' said the actor who gave two back-to-back hits with 'Wanted' and 'Dabangg'.

The 45-year-old actor says he will first strategise his initiative and then take action.

'I have to sit with all the heads of the (film workers') associations and find out where the maximum amount of money is required. And the money would go there,' said Salman whose 'Ready' will hit the screens June 3.

Directed by Anees Bazmee, 'Ready' is a remake of a Telugu comedy of the same name and also stars Asin Thottumkal who teamed up with him in 'London Dreams'.

The actor's life has been dotted with legal troubles and other unpleasant incidents ' if he was involved in a hit-and-run case and blackbuck killing, he has also been known for picking up fights with fellow actor Shah Rukh Khan and allegedly hitting his girlfriends.

But it seems now Salman has left them behind and set his sights on noble causes. In fact, he says he will mix work with social work by utilising some time and money for underprivileged people while promoting a film.

'I haven't started publicising the film ('Ready') as yet. The way I will promote it is being finalised. Now the new funda has come up that you need 15 days to promote a film. Whenever these 15 days come, I will make sure there are 15 to 20 places where I can go and help those people under Being Human and come back,' said Salman referring to his NGO Being Human.

'When I go to these places, I would see who needs money and help. This money will not go to the administration. It will go directly to those kids who need it. Two or three operations will happen every day. When you go out for something like this, let's not waste time by just smiling. That's the biggest fraudulent act one can ever do,' he said.

The actor has planned to reserve a sum of the promotional budget to accomplish his charity work and hopes other actors will catch on.

'You are going to special children, underprivileged children, cancer patients and giving just a smile. What after that? I hope people, after me, catch up to this one thing and hope there is a competition on how much charity they do while going for the promotion of their film. Instead of spending the money on promos, PRs and all that stuff, let the money go into the country,' said Salman.

(Dibyojyoti Baksi can be contacted at [email protected])

http://www.inewsone.com/2011/05/06/ill-share-income-with-bollywood-workers-salman-khan-interview/48534

Edited by Da_BagarhBilla - 12 years ago

Salman: Wanted to bring macho man back on screen

Last updated on: May 5, 2011 15:07 IST
Salman Khan
     Next
Sonil Dedhia in Mumbai

He is the most Wanted man in Bollywood. TheDabangg star Salman Khan is Ready with a new treat for his fans.  

When Sonil Dedhia met the actor in Mumbai's Filmcity, Salman was in a good mood. He was cocky and caustic when he attempted a joke, but with the self-assuredness of a veteran who's seen it all.

The bad boy with a golden heart, as he's come to be known in the industry, spoke about his films, his equation with his heroines, and finally, marriage.

Controversies and Salman Khan seem to go hand in hand.

Main kya karu (What can I do?). It just happens to me. People don't like to read boring stuff. Variety is the spice of life. People want to read spicy stuff.

Do you hold any grudges against the media?

I don't have any grudges against anyone. I have never avoided the media. I am ready to give all the answers (Laughs)

After Wanted and Dabangg, you are being called the Rajnikanth of Bollywood.

I don't want to be anyone. I just want to be Salman Khan.

Your movies -- WantedReady and Bodyguard -- are remakes of South Indian films. Are you going to continue with this trend?

There have been so many instances where they (southern films) have copied our films. A lot of my father's films were being remade in the south. In the recent times, we have Dabangg and 3 Idiots, which are in the process of being remade.

I don't believe in making remakes of Hollywood films because those films have been seen across the world.  The movies being made these days, have one gag from a French film, one action scene from an German film, and one character from an old film. This is usually the case unless a writer-director makes the film.

'I am very particular about my roles'

Asin and Salman Khan
Prev     Next

So is it a conscious effort from your side to bring the macho hero back in Bollywood?

Yes, because I had started missing them. When my father used to write, the heroes used to be the strong and central to the story, doing heroic things. I would go to the theatre and clap and whistle when I saw the hero on screen. The macho hero seems to have vanished.

Today's generation is missing the macho man and I wanted to bring him back on screen. I wanted to make sure people remember the hero when they leave the theatre. That's why I am doing such films.

Is there any success formula in the industry?

No. I am sure I would also go wrong if I stick to a particular formula. What happens is, when you start following a particular formula, you get carried away. In the end, you just become a caricature of yourself. I am very particular about my roles.

Don't you fear being typecast in the image of a larger-than-life hero?

What is wrong with that?  I am enjoying it, everyone is enjoying it and I am sure you too are enjoying it (smiles).

What lessons have you learnt from your past?

When you believe in something, you have to put your foot down. There have been instances when I haven't done it. People think Salman Khan is using his power to do certain things but in the end, if things go wrong then it is Salman Khan who gets blamed. 

You seem to be more involved in your projects than before.

Aisa kuch nahi hai (There's nothing of that sort). I guess the PR people are just trying to make up stories. (Smiles) When you get a kick on your ass, anyone will start working and do anything.

Having said that, times have changed. That's why I am not only involved as an actor but also take interest in the music, editing, lyrics etc. There have been times when my films were big disasters. But then I knew they would be disasters.

I did those films because I liked the script but then I could not put my foot down when it came to editing the film or shooting certain sequences.

Please continue.

My fans matter to me. I have become very choosy about my scripts. I don't work for money. Even if I don't get any remuneration, I am fine with it. Everything goes to my charity anyway. But I have to respect my fan who is paying for his movie ticket and going in with an expectation of watching good entertaining cinema.

When people like the promo of the film, half the battle is won. I don't want my fans to come out and say 'Bakwas picture hai' (The film was rubbish). One of the main reasons why I have reshot the songs in Ready is because I didn't want to let my fans down.

Image: Asin and Salman Khan

'My father has seen Ready thrice and I've never seen him laugh so much'

Zareen Khan and Salman Khan in a song sequence from Ready
Prev     Next

What do you look for while reading a script?

If I like the script in the first narration, I take it up. I look at the songs too. When Tere Naamhappened, I was very upset with the film's climax. Mahendra Verma, the main villain in the movie, was left untouched in the end. Also, I wanted Bhoomika Chawla's character to die as asuhaagan (married woman). I got Mahendra Verma for one shot in Wanted and whacked the hell out of him (Laughs).

Coming to Ready, have you seen the southern original?

No, I haven't. I had heard the film's plot and loved it. There are a lot of twist and turns in the movie and it's a very cleverly-written film. The humour works amazingly well. The dialogues are good.

Were any changes made in the script of the Hindi remake?

A lot has been changed from the original script, keeping in mind the taste of the audience.

Your father Salim Khan is the script consultant for the film.

He gave suggestions wherever we went wrong. He has seen the film thrice and I have never seen my father laugh so much. (smiles)

'No matter who the director is, if I don't like the script I will not be a part of the film'

Salman Khan
Prev     Next

Will we see him writing a film for you?

I don't think he has the patience to sit down and write a whole film. 

What's your equation with Anees Bazmee? A lot has been spoken about it.

I signed a film with T-Series and Anees Bazmee long ago. The only thing that wasn't working out was the script. There have been so many instances when they selected the script and approached me but I rejected it. After that, Readycame to me and I fell in love with the script. So I gave them the nod. I don't do films for the sake of doing them.

No matter who the director is, if I don't like the script I will not be a part of the film.

His recent films (Thank You, No Problem) have been disasters at the box office. Does that affect you?

No, it does not. I have worked with him before (inNo Entry). There are times when your films do well and sometimes they don't. As I mentioned earlier, I signed Ready after listening to a lot of scripts. So on the script level, I know it is a far better film. Ready's script is better than anything Anees has done so far.

'I play Prem again in this film'

Salman Khan
Prev     Next

Apparently, you were not happy with the title of the film and wanted it changed.

Nahi yaar, aisa kuch nahi hai (no, nothing like that). I like the word Ready and don't think there would have been a more suitable title. It is a commonly used word in our day-to-day life. Shot ready hai (the shot is ready), car ready hai (the car is ready), khana ready hai (the food is ready)...

You have played Prem, the obedient son, as well as Chulbul Pandey, the fearless cop. Do you think you are on an image makeover spree?

No, my image has always been the same. There is also a Radhe Mohan (Tere Naam), Sameer (Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, Hum Dil De Chuka Sanam) and Chulbul Pandey (Dabangg) who exist with Prem. It's the films that help me get the best out of me, no matter which character I play.

Will we see you play Prem again?

Yes, my character's name is Prem in Ready.

'Asin is one of the better actresses that we have today'

Asin and Salan Khan in a still from Ready
Prev     Next

No, I am talking about Prem in Hum Aapke Hai Koun...! and Maine Pyaar Kiya.

I played that Prem in Baghban (laughs). The Prem that you'll see in Ready is like Hum Aaapke Hai Koun...! directed by Anees Bazmee! Just imagine how it would turn out! (Laughs again) I have taken myself out of No Entry and put it in Hum Aapke Hain Koun...!.

This is your second film with Asin. How comfortable were you with her?

I think as far as acting is concerned, she is one of the better actresses that we have. The amazing thing about her is that she tasted success with Ghajini, which was almost three years back. Ready is her third film and it shows that she hasn't gone and signed random films. She is very particular when it comes to work.

'Character Dheela Hai was Asin's idea'

Salman Khan in a still from Ready
Prev     Next

The song Character Dheela Hai has become a rage. How did the song come about?

Character Dheela Hai was Asin's idea, so there was no way I could refuse the heroine of the film. (LaughsCharacter Dheela is mostly used in a negative manner but the director wanted to use the phrase in a positive way.

Originally, that line was sung by the hero. Then I suggested that the heroine sing it too.

Whose ideas was it to recreate the olden classics?

We were doing the publicity of the film and I wanted all the iconic posters -- right from Raj Kapoor's movies to Dharmendra's. My film Maine Pyar Kiya would be modified for today's times. The dance director came up with the idea and that's how the whole thing happened.

'I don't want to be associated with neech films'

Asin and Salman Khan in Ready
Prev     More

Actors like Aamir Khan have taken up direction. Will we see you directing a film?

I will work under Aamir's direction (pauses). When I have time (Laughs).

Will we ever see you doing parallel cinema or being a part of niche films?

I don't want to be associated with neech (niche) films (Winks).

How seriously do you take the comments made by your fans? You recently put up some of your pictures in response to a fan on Twitter.

I was just having fun. Someone was trying to pull my leg for four-five days saying I was fat. I thought I should show him fat kisko bolte hai.That's when I shot some pictures and posted them.

Aamir Khan recently mentioned that the only way to get Salman Khan married is to tie his leg and make him sit in a mandap.

I will make sure I tie his leg and see to it that he does not marry again.

I dont like reading interviews of drunk people. 
I Don't like Reading Posts of Drunk People ðŸ¤£
Oops, I mean I dont like reading posts of people who drink&drive and kill people ðŸ˜ƒ