Saath Nibhaana Saathiya

My impression of Gopi in Switzerland...

malinn thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
As always, here's a disclaimer before I begin: This is an honest opinion and impression I got while watching Gopi today. It is not like I don't like Gopi or Gia. It's how the portrayed character came across.

Today, when I was watching Gopi...

In all the scenes... Coming out of the hotel while struggling with the luggage, pallu, Kanhaji... In the train with Ahem... Lost on the platform... Asking directions...

She looked like an old Gujju Aunty/Grandmother... Her body language and mannerisms... I am a Gujarati, and somehow I remembered all my older relatives... They tend to be very loving and caring and always offering food or chai or medicines... She reminded me so much of my mother/bua who would always fussing over me when I was young and in college...And I remember that I used to sometimes say exasperatedly...tch... Let me be... I am fine...please...

So, overall, Gopi is like a doting and fussing mother...who hovers over you constantly... And can be irritating... Though you recognize the love and concern she feels for you... And return the feelings... But show it differently...

The characterization in this serial is fabulous and very true to life... Consistent... However, I wish they had shown that Ahem dislikes her for some misunderstanding or just because he loved Anita too much... Something that could be resolved eventually... They could have shown him having some grudging attraction to her at a base lust level kinds...like he can't help being physically desirous of her despite hating her...

Somehow... This sheer disgust and hatred and constant rejection he feels for her... Because of a fundamental character flaw... Seems impossible to bridge... Let us see how they do proceed on this...Edited by malinn - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ANJ4 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
i totally agree with you on all points
choti_rani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Malinn I agree that what she does definitely would get irritating and we can all tell Ahem had always been irritated by this attitude of hers, but it seems like everyone keeps making her like that. For example Koki in today's episode made her go and give him the kada and the episode where he was looking for his red file, Koki made Gopi go and give it him. Everyone keeps telling her this is the way you are going to get your husbands love and she being the naive girl she is believes them so she goes along with it. I'm sure her childhood was probably the same. She probably had to hover over her Mami and Rashi and made sure they had everything and anything they ever wanted and she somehow constituted that for love (which we all know is not but Gopi being Gopi does not know that). I think thus she always links those together. She thinks that if she keeps doing it eventually she will win them over and she doesn't realize that unlike Rashi and her Mami who loved having her do that (simply because they were lazy and didn't want to do anything for themselves) other people like Ahem would be irritated. Gopi's character really needs a feminist character that will change her and maybe show Ahem and everyone else just where to stick it. 😃 Edited by Eesha2 - 12 years ago
malinn thumbnail
Superb analysis...

That's why even I feel that this characterization is very true to life... And yes, she is easily manipulated by all around her... For better or worse... Feel sorry for her...
smartc thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
@ Malinn: What a lovely post! I just want the ice in b/w them to be broken in the most subtle and natural way possible and the hug from the SBS scene seems to fit my expectations there. I hope we can actually see Ahem genuinely feeling bad and hugging her not out of compulsion but rather out of his genuine concern for him. I can't wait to watch tomorrow's episode!!

@ Eesha: Loved your thoughts too, esp the bit about having the presence of a strong feminine character in Gopi's life. But who is going to provide her that solid ground? That solid foundation? She can't seem to gain even an ounce of confidence even though Koki has been on her side for a while now. So what makes us think that the presence of another strong and positive feminine character would actually have an impact on Gopi? Well, the answer lies with the creative team there *hehehe*. But I remember watching Banoo Mai Teri Dulhann and we had an illiterate character in that show too in the form of Vidya but the thing was that she was not naive like Gopi. And when came time to push all boundaries, she did and she even learned English to show to her hubby that education does not change your character or the type of person u are but rather helps u get more opportunities in life to progress, etc. Remembering that, I wouldn't want Gopi to change for anyone.Not even for Ahem. Ahem has to get over the ghost of Anita first and have closure and then he should fall for the real Gopi and perhaps he can help her move ahead in life with his love and affection. If he hates her with so much conviction, imagine how amazing it would be to see him love her and think the world of her when he falls in love ... I'd be...😍

Cheers,
Sana~
choti_rani thumbnail
Originally posted by: smartc

@ Malinn: What a lovely post! I just want the ice in b/w them to be broken in the most subtle and natural way possible and the hug from the SBS scene seems to fit my expectations there. I hope we can actually see Ahem genuinely feeling bad and hugging her not out of compulsion but rather out of his genuine concern for him. I can't wait to watch tomorrow's episode!!

@ Eesha: Loved your thoughts too, esp the bit about having the presence of a strong feminine character in Gopi's life. But who is going to provide her that solid ground? That solid foundation? She can't seem to gain even an ounce of confidence even though Koki has been on her side for a while now. So what makes us think that the presence of another strong and positive feminine character would actually have an impact on Gopi? Well, the answer lies with the creative team there *hehehe*. But I remember watching Banoo Mai Teri Dulhann and we had an illiterate character in that show too in the form of Vidya but the thing was that she was not naive like Gopi. And when came time to push all boundaries, she did and she even learned English to show to her hubby that education does not change your character or the type of person u are but rather helps u get more opportunities in life to progress, etc. Remembering that, I wouldn't want Gopi to change for anyone.Not even for Ahem. Ahem has to get over the ghost of Anita first and have closure and then he should fall for the real Gopi and perhaps he can help her move ahead in life with his love and affection. If he hates her with so much conviction, imagine how amazing it would be to see him love her and think the world of her when he falls in love ... I'd be...😍

Cheers,
Sana~

Oh I definitely remember that show I loved it and that it is exactly what made me think of the feminist character. I remember the Bua was the reason she started to learn to read and write and I was thinking Gopi needs something like that in her life. I still remember the speech Vidya gave when she showed Sagar that she was educated and could speak English. She said why does being able to speak English define who you are as a person as they are living in India where their native tongue is Hindi. I mean you don't go to America or any other country and expect them to know Hindi. Instead we should be proud of our culture, our language, our religion. And in that Gopi far excels Aham. She needs someone to push her to learn not to have Aham fall in love with her, but to show Aham that knowing how to read and write and speak English doesn't define who you are as a person or make you a better person. She needs to do it for herself at the end of the day. The best example right there is Rashi. She is educated, but beyond that as a human being she is absolutely selfish, greedy, and horrible. I also want Aham to fall in love with Gopi for herself and her wonderful attributes and pure heart. 
I was mainly thinking of the strong feminine character on Gopi's side who does the telling off to Aham and everyone else. Show them exactly Gopi's worth because showing Gopi doing that would completely destroy her character I think. She could use a little confidence boost though. See her good heart and caring nature like everyone else sees it and know that sometimes she doesn't need everyone's approval because her pure heart is approval enough and loving yourself at the end of the day is what matters the most. 
malinn thumbnail
Sana...Keep some elbow room for me too... 😍

nice reply... Don't know about that other serial...though off late... My mind keeps running parallels between Sathiya and Jassi jaisi koi nahin...where the makeover came after many many episodes... Here too I think that thry are deliberately making Gopi more and more lachaar, bebas and bechaari... And Ahem extremely and very obviously hating her... 100% there will be a makeover of Gopi and the reversal of Ahem's feelings...

Suddenly... There seems to be hope... And anticipation...

Bookings now open for balcony seats to join Sana and me in   😍
choti_rani thumbnail
Originally posted by: malinn

Sana...Keep some elbow room for me too... 😍

nice reply... Don't know about that other serial...though off late... My mind keeps running parallels between Sathiya and Jassi jaisi koi nahin...where the makeover came after many many episodes... Here too I think that thry are deliberately making Gopi more and more lachaar, bebas and bechaari... And Ahem extremely and very obviously hating her... 100% there will be a makeover of Gopi and the reversal of Ahem's feelings...

Suddenly... There seems to be hope... And anticipation...

Bookings now open for balcony seats to join Sana and me in   😍

Oh sign me up because if we get to see that in the show I am totally next to you guys 😍 away.
malinn thumbnail
Eesha...

Sadly, I never watched Banoo main Teri dulhan... But what you said was very true... Love must be for the real person beneath... Finally, Ahem must love Gopi for the person that she is...

But then... Packaging sells...
nishi_I-fian thumbnail
wat????
Omg gujju aunty...🤣