Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

The worst film in recent times? - Page 3

Posted: 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: hindu4lyf

@bold:I don't think that's true at all. Majority of people I know who saw TMK absolutely hated it and I cannot say I blame them. Is it even possible to connect with a film like TMK? Personally I couldn't connect with even 1% of any of the characters portrayed in that movie but like someone mentioned above, Akshaye Khanna did a good job although unfortunately it wasn't enough to make my cinematic experience any better. I really regret going to watch the film despite having a free ticket to watch it. Like I mentioned already this film was ALWAYS going to be a hit. When you barely spend anything on a film, have Fahrah Khan promoting the film, have an extremely catchy item song along with Barbie Doll Katrina Kaif who may not know acting but knows how to look pretty along with the perfect release date then you've automatically got yourself a hit. Although it may have got the majority to come and watch the film..I strongly disagree that it successfully managed to entertain the majority.

Gadar was pak bashing? I haven't seen the film in a very long time but I don't remember it being 'pak-bashing' while watching it although I could be wrong.

Regarding your last para..true but it's sad that the Bollywood audience is not yet ready to truly appreciate all of that. It's the reason why films like Dhobi Ghat simply can't work in Bollywood despite the fact that I think it was a great film because the audience aren't willing to accept just a documentary..they want a proper ending, a happy sappy romantic story where the hero and heroine are deeply in love. I do however see that changing in recent times and it's why we get an opportunity to see so many films dealing with so many different subjects lately. I really do wish Bollywood would stop making idiotic films like Action Replayy..at least films like Golmaal made me laugh a few times! I still don't understand why most people liked Dabaang and why it was a super hit because it seemed like a really bad rip off of some Hollywood action film but I still think TMK was one of the worst films Bollywood has seen.

look, im not arguing the fact that TMK deserved to be a hit, or that it was a good film...im saying tht whtever it may be, it pulled in enough audience to make it a hit ...and hits dunt fall from a tree..making a low budget movie with heavy promotion dosent guarantee a hit...it guarantees profits which is different to being a "hit"...for a film to be called a hit, it has to reach a certain benchmark in terms of collections which TMK managed to. Now tht may be because of SKJ, the initial good opening, whatever...but fact is, it managed "SOMETHING" which films like saat khoon maaf, guzaarish etc didnt...and tht is enough to show tht such films interest ppl more than the so called "art films"

like beboholic said, just because guzaarish and others are supposedly art films dealing with sensitive issues dosent make them better than the stupidities of TMK and housefull and everything else...both are examples of bad filmmaking...while the former is too indulgent and wannabe, the latter are an atrociously ridiculous and even offensive excuse for comedy. 

and i disagree with the notion that indian audience has to "grow up" to accept films like dhobi ghat...the audience is willing to accept anything which grabs their attention..what use is all the brilliant technical intricacies if the audience fails to get involved???Afterall, everyone toils very hard to earn money so what is wrong if they want to spend it on something worthwhile and something which keeps them hooked??...in the past, films like chak de india, lagaan, ardh satya, satya, viraasat , Udaan, do dooni chaar, dev d, tere bin laden, phas gaya obama all did well despite their offbeat content. They didnt have sappy love stories, fashionable stars or anything conventionally bollywood. BUT they still did well because they were good films to begin with. Ofcourse they werent blockbusters, but u cant really expect them to be one...i mean, even abroad...films like black swan or winter bone dunt do as well as an Avatar or a Pirates of the Caribbean.  Commerciality exists everywhere, not just in bollywood. But the films i mentioned above received appreciation within their own niche, which is wht is commendable. 

You may have liked dhobi ghat, but the film recieved mixed response as far as critical acclaim goes...same for the likes of SKM (majority of the reviews were negative) and guzaarish(mixed response)...and a mixed response generally indicates a film which possibly didnt strike a chord with the majority, thereby failing at its primary objective. 

And as for dabangg, i can totally see why it was a hit. An extremely loved superstar playing a crackling mass appealing character in a brilliant satire of an 80's potboiler. The kind of film which made ppl whistle and throw confetii on screen, and dance to the songs. Of course it worked. duh...

Edited by smartie_pants - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gremlin. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Lucky me I haven't seen any of those movies he mentioned  

But I have seen TMK 🤔 okay I take my being lucky comment back 😳 Edited by soul_angel - 12 years ago
ladygaga thumbnail

Its not just about majority getting its way or what majority likes or getting a hit.. he is talking about making engaging movies.. there are movies like EHT.. which might not have been hits but they have their own place in the history.. people remember these movies.. there is AAA.. it was a flop.. but it has a cult following.. I think Raja sen is targetting the right people.. the filmakers that make pretentious movies.. which boast of being hatke and different.. but end up falling on their faces.. because they are not engaging.. coz filmakers ignore the basic plot while concentrating on other details.. and I think some of these pretentious movies are way worse than slapstick comedies...

Edited by ladygaga - 12 years ago
I turned TMK off after watching Katrina in Sheila Ki Jiwani, made me fall asleep!  🤣
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I still think Kambakth Ishq was the biggest insult to movie-making of the past decade...
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: ladygaga

Its not just about majority getting its way or what majority likes or getting a hit.. he is talking about making engaging movies.. there are movies like EHT.. which might not have been hits but they have their own place in the history.. people remember these movies.. there is AAA.. it was a flop.. but it has a cult following.. I think Raja sen is targetting the right people.. the filmakers that make pretentious movies.. which boast of being hatke and different.. but end up falling on their faces.. because they are not engaging.. coz filmakers ignore the basic plot while concentrating on other details.. and I think some of these pretentious movies are way worse than slapstick comedies...

Agree with your whole posts. And thats exactly what Raja Sen is saying.
Edited by beboholic - 12 years ago
This content was originally posted by: liverach

I still think Kambakth Ishq was the biggest insult to movie-making of the past decade...

muhahahahaha...

u know some film astrologer predicted that 

"kambakth ishq will scorch the screens and become the biggest hit of the year"...

and ofcourse, thts exactly wht happened...😆
Edited by smartie_pants - 12 years ago
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Kambakt Ishq was crap. But I still rather watch that than TMK and SKM. At least with KI you get one or two good songs. I loved the songs in KI. Actually I loved all the songs in the film. 
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: smartie_pants

muhahahahaha...

u know some film astrologer predicted that 

"kambakth ishq will scorch the screens and become the biggest hit of the year"...

and ofcourse, thts exactly wht happened...😆

oh god, what prized keechad -____- 

lol only goes to show, people will spend life savings to watch an awkward couple doing a copious amount of ridiculous things ( for example, operating on someone while wearing the worlds LARGEST, most OBNOXIOUSLY SIZED bracelet)
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
^ You might think the couple is akward, others like the couple. That's why they went and spent their money, and I don't understand why we need to insult them. They didnt know the film was gonna be that crappy.